Kent Coastal Half-Marathon

Comments

• Am I right in thinking this 'horrible hill' is the one just before King George 5th park? Not sure if I'm going mad, but picturing one there and if I'm right it's pretty steep but not too long??....
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Laura - Just looked at the map. The steep hill last year start on grass, then a path that had tree, I think both sides. It was not too long but steep. There was a water station at the bottom of the hill, so you could drink walking up part of it.

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Laura - Just looked at the Thanet RR website and the half marathon goes through King George 5th park.
  • Laura

Yes the hill does lead up to the park and there is a water station at the bottom of the hill.I found it difficult last year because of the heat and my lack of fitness!
    Once you get through the park, it becomes easier.
  • Thought it was there, I did have some recollection of there being a pretty steep hill one side of the park (I used to live one the other side!)

Thanks guys!

• To be honest, the inclines are quite well separated - the main exception being the 2 in fairly close proximity at about the 2 & 3 miles (the second one leads up to North Foreland lighthouse which is my personal "favourite"). After that though you get a nice long flat/downhill bit into Broadstairs to catch your breath.

Don't get too hung up on the hills though. The course almost follows a complete loop round so you will get the downhill bits too !!

Overall, it is a fantastic scenic course and a great half-marathon.
  • Mmm just come back from Edinburgh Marathon; where I had to pull out half-way, (that's a hilly course) Mixture of heat, hills and lack of water got to me! so was wondering whether or not to enter for this one, as I need to get a bit more serious about my training, for doing a full marathon again. Is this worth it and is there a cut off point for the time, can't remember if i saw one!
  • Hi Michelle Im sorry I cant remember if weve put a cut off time but im pretty sure you should be ok as the half is also the first half of our full marathon as well so there will be plenty of people out on the course going nice and steady as theyve got the full 26.2 miles to cover.

Hope you decide to give it a go it really is a lovely course with some fantastoic sea views. PLents of water and SIS gells on route and fantastic honey flapjacks inthe goody bags, plus T shirt and medal.
  • Evening all..... I'm in. Aiming at 2 hours but as it is a first one, could end up anywhere!! Know bits of the course as supported another (BoBo) last year and can vouch for everything said above - lovely views, good support etc.
  • I too can vouch for the organisational skills of Thanet RR. There was water, gels, support and excellent marshalls in abundance last year. It was an extremely hot day and it's not a flat course but all round support helped everybody round.

I just hope it's cooler this year!
  • Michelle,

Yes we have put a cut-off time on the race this year. This is because we cannot expect the marshalls to be on the course for hours and hours at a time. Obviously we rely on volunteers for the running of our races and have to consider the safety of a few competitors being on the course by themselves and feel that this is the best compromise we can give.

The cut-off for the half marathon is 4 hours with limited support for runners after 3 hours. Basically this means it is possible to walk the event and finish in the time limit. We would expect all competitors to have an estimated time UNDER 3 hours (~4.4 miles per hour = fast walk), but have a built in allowance for poorer than on the day performance.

Anyone expecting to take over 3 hours will have to consider carrying their own camelback for water and energy gels and course map, as the last water station may have closed and marshals may have been stood down.

We follow the last runner round using radio communications team to ensure that no-one should be 'lost'. We usually have a 'tail end charlie marshall' as well.

The times tie in with the Marathon times with a cut-off of 7 hours and limited support after 6 hours.

I hope this answers your question OK.
  • Thanks very much, but just realised, after looking at the date, that I'm actually at Hyde Park that day, with thousands of other women for the flora light challenge. Guess I'd better do that one, as my mum is trotting around that one (her yearly run), But it has been worth knowing, as I now live close by it will be ideal.
  • Hi Everyone just dropped in here to let you know that race numbers are starting to be sent out now.
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Ah, better get my entry in when I get back of my hols tomorrow then!
  • hi cinders long time no see you not having a go at the full mara this year?
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Mark, if a nice day like last year, the kids can take their body boards and go in the sea.
  • Hi Tracey oh yes good for the spectators but not so good for the runners. Sharon issued your race number last night and its in the post.
  • Wow numbers already Mark.... bit scary, the race is >10 weeks away isn't it - or have I miscalcuated?? I may have to review the training schedule!!

Morning to all btw!
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Hi Mark, been out of things for few months with some medical things but back now, have entered Abingdon in October so thought the half would be best, hope to be back on Thursdays next week, only got in from me hols at 1.30 this morning!
  • Cinders ok hope to see you back at the lovely Thursday night hill sessions soon then LOL
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Mark as usual Thanet Road Runners are well organised. Looking forward to my flap jack.

Cinders, hopefully we will finally get to meet.

Pit Stop Crew - Don't start me counting how many weeks to Beachy Head.
  • OK Tracey - will stay off that one..... I've been watching that thread (BH) with some envy - I love the South Downs (having walked the full lenght of the footpath 3x). Not sure I'm up for the mara tho. Although Mark's camel back with red/white wine in it sounds very tempting, and I note that there are still spaces left... My other half (BoBo) is doing Abingdon so I will be on Pit Stop duties - look out for the Blue T shirts as me and my 11 yr old (PSC Junior) race round the outside of the course dishing out jelly babies and drinks to Bobo (and other forumites who recognise us).

This half will be my first race - hence the countdown (oops). I am doing the Kent 50 Mile Challenge next month (only 3 weeks to that) with (he hastily adds) three others in a relay so each of us will do 2 x 6.5 mile laps with the change over at a pub - yippee!! With free food also at the pub - double yippee. But as it is a relay I'm not really counting it in the same way as I would a half or a mara. Maybe I'm deluding myself.............? (wouldn't be the first time)
  • Numbers..... best get my entry in... started running, in training for this race in 2004 and have never looked back - thanks Thanet RR!

Now that PSC has caught the bug, junior next?!

Cinders will this be the year we meet?
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Right then Bo-bo, sounds good, had a few months out so best start training :-)
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Mark, you said that Sharon and sent my race pack out. I have not received it yet, but there is still plenty of time until the race.
  • Hello all,

I've just started running more consistently and have upped my mileage to 3 runs approx 20-25 miles a week and am looking to test myself in a race.

This one appeals because its fairly local.

Is it suitable as a first race and how hilly is it?

I live in Hythe and run up Hospital Hill and Road of Remembrance in Folkestone, how does it compare and is this sufficient hill training?

Is three times a week with the above mileage enough (I struggle to get out more because of work)?

I can currently manage 10miles in 90mins and want to do a half in under 2 hours.

Lots of info, but any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

• Hi Mark - this will be my first to! If you can do Hospital Hill then you shouldn't have a problem with this course. My missus did it (as a first race) a couple of years ago and loved it - there are hills, but nothing like you are already training on - know them well - we used to live in Cheriton and only last week did Folkestone thru Sandgate to Hythe (well the start of the golf course) and back.....

You are on the same timings/race time ambition so we've either both got it right or, conversely, are desparately deluded! The Shades Thread is a good one for advice on 3 runs a week. I'm following a "Shades 3 x a week training plan" and making good progress.

Happy running - see you on the beach!!
  • Morning All..

I've been lurking on the Marathon Thread and note that Sharon is about to post out numbers etc. Does the same apply for the half? Must say, with this much time to go, I'm impressed if they are!! Training going well for the half, although am splitting runs (early morning and evening) at the moment to cope with the heat. 5 miles yesterday afternoon in 30 degrees was OK - any further would have been hard work!!
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I got my number today.

Tracey G - 30
  • All I got was a gas bill!