Options

Bruising....after sports massage

I have been for a sport massage on my legs today, after trouble with ITB's.
It was incredibly painful at the time, but I thought.. no pain no gain..., and I grit my teeth.
I have just noticed that I have developed bruising and reddish discoulouration along both legs where the masseur worked. It hurts like hell now to touch, has it helped or just put my recovery back even further ?
Any thoughts and suggestions greatfully received.
Cheers
Norfolk

Comments

• Options
    Poor Norfolk

There is absolutely no reason why a sports massage should hurt - let alone bruise

Too many people believe that it should hurt - but if its really well done by someone who knows what they are doing it honestly shouldn't hurt

I've had completely seized up muscles freed in a 1 hour session without feeling a thing

Try and find someone else maybe ?
  • Options
    TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    I thinking it is worrying if you have bruising after a sports massage, but they can and do hurt.

Massage can hurt but the paint is very tempoary. If you have ever had a long term injury with the build up of scar tissue then the deep massage can be tear inducing. I remember once gritting my teeth, sweating like hell, thinking how come this 7 stone women have the strongest most painful thumbs in the world. Plus I was paying for it... pure masochism. The physio will often advise client to ice injury after session.
  • Options
    Thanks TT & SS

I am now icing them, good job I bought 2 icepacks from Boots last week!!!
    I will see how they are tomorrow, and will shop around for sports masseur locally next week.

• Options
    I often bruise after sports massage and I've been to various therapists. I think it's to do with the release within the muscles that gets the blood flowing again. I may be wrong but my sports massages have always made it easier to run afterwards.

I wouldn't put up with the pain if it didn;t work :)
  • Options
    I found the responses to this quite surprising!

Sports massage hurts - especially with an ITB problem. If if doesn't hurt you are both lucky and flexible, and probably don't have a specific injury other than feeling a bit tight.

I've had many - all hurt - last one left bruises. Give it a day or two and the pain will subside, okay to run immediately though, just treat it as a recovery run. You WILL feel the benefit.
  • Options
    Thanks folks, for all your responses. I kinda feel a bit better now, although I will consider swapping massage 'parlours'
  • Options
    TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    mmh I would not choose one from a card in a telephone box though! or not at least for a sports massage. ;)
  • Options
    I can't imagine that ITB massage when you have ITBS could NOT hurt. When my ITBS is bad, just running a thumb along it with minimal pressure is sore!

Agree that extensive bruising seems a little much though - unless you bruise very easily normally (occasional small bruise is not uncommon for me).
  • Options
    I've been told by more than one physio that you can tell a runner by their response to you massaging their IT band. If they don't hit the ceiling they don't run :)

I get excessive bruising but I do bruise very easily on my legs. I wouldn't be too quick to change physio's. In my experience, if it hurts, it's worthwhile.
  • Options
    I've had bruising before after sports massage. It's not ideal I guess, but I agree with others, don't be in a hurry to change. Having the ITB massaged does make you yelp a bit. Judge it in a couple of days time, when you'll really see the positive results.
  • Options
    Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    I have felt bruised - especially afetr ITB massage

and was warned by both physio and masseuse that this might be the case.

And also told I have a high pain threshold- so they go deep!

I was advised to ice afterwards ot reduce bruising.

And the massage DID work.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your comments, it sounds like its not unusual then. I will see how the legs feel in a couple of days. I suppose it's taken my mind off my dodgy knees anyway!!
    I hopefully will still make it to FLM.
  • Options
    Working at the ITB's is also incredibly uncomfortable - abd yes - can bruise sometimes!
    Mine did - and I've had no trouble with them since I was done 4 months ago!
  • Options
    Hi guys. Sorry for jumping in on this one but I'm new to this forum. How do I post a question on here. I cant see the option to post.
  • Options
    I also bruise some times. You just have to roll to know its going to hurt.