SUPPORT GROUP 2

Comments

• Evenin' all . .

Fenn . . good idea . . last night I e-mailed Sezz, Shambler and Debster with the approximate times I thought we all might arrive at Mudchute . . see the list below. I wanted to show S, S and D that we weren't all going to arrive at once and that they didn't need to panic . .

Sub 2.30 pace (approximate time at Mudchute 10.35 am) - Hilly

Sub 3.15 pace (approximate time at Mudchute 11.52 am) - Andy from Embsay

Sub 3.30 pace (approximate time at Mudchute 12.02 pm) - Georgia's Dad

Sub 3.45 pace (approximate time at Mudchute 12.12 pm) - Trin and me

Sub 4.00 pace (approximate time at Mudchute 12.21 pm) - Runner Martin and Granadalad

Sub 4.30 pace (approximate time at Mudchute 12.39 pm) - Fenn

Sub 4.45 pace (approximate time at Mudchute 12.51 pm) - Mrs R and RichardW

Sub 5.00 pace (approximate time at Mudchute 1.01 pm) - Caspacinno and Sian H

Sub 5.15 pace (approximate time at Mudchute 1.10 pm) - Pinkerbelle

Sub 6.00 pace (approximate time at Mudchute 1.40 pm) - LesleyK

Don't know the times - Swiss Bobby, Petal and Rebecca Redding2

Hilly gets there so much earlier than anybody else because she starts 45 minutes earlier than the rest of us on the Elite ladies start.

Apologies to anybody who's time I've hopelessly miscalculated . .

Granadalad and Pinkerbelle . .

further to what Trinity said (thanks Trin) . . the Forum are really close to the 17 mile point, but I forget exactly where . . but it's approximately where the Docklands Light Railway crosses the course on this map www.richk.co.uk/FLM06prep/Course%20Map.htm

or if you look towards the bottom of this map www.richk.co.uk/FLM06prep/Mudchute%20area.htm we run up East Ferry Road and the Forum will be behind some railings just where the Docklands Light Railway goes under the grey bit of road, to the right of the letter A in a red circle . .

it's on a slight left hand bend so it isn't immediately obvious as it's not directly in your field of vision . . and it's just after a drinks station . . the number of banners etc is a bit hit and miss because we don't know what the supporters will be making and sticking up . .

but last year it looked like this www.richk.co.uk/FLM05/FLM103.htm except with loads more people on either side of the railings . .

hope all that helps . .

although of course . . all of the above is dependant on the drinks station and everything else being in the same place as last year . .

• My time may change due to my name change!!
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Ooh, GM, poor you!

Hope everyone else is doing ok and enjoying the taper.

Don't forget ...if you want any thing special provided that's not on my previous list then do email me and I'll let you have address where to send it.
  • Hi, I'm really hoping for sub 5hrs but as its my first time i'm not sure...did the MK half in March in 2hrs 15 so is this feasable?

pinks

PS Georgias Dad that sounds painful - hope its ok!
  • oh and did Oakley 20 in 3hrs 44mins

pinks
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Definately feasible Pinkerbelle.

For my two half maras before last year's FLM, I did 2:21 and 2:09 and I finished FLM in 5:03.

Just keep going and don't let yourself walk. Keep telling yourself you can do it, coz you can!

• Evenin’ all . . excuse me whilst I'm serious for a moment or two . . just to let you know there have been some additions to the Group . . please welcome Caspacinno, Swiss Bobby and KatieS (I think some of them may have beaten me to it and already introduced themselves) . .

Also JackieR has become MrsR, and Rebecca Redding 2 has found us J

There’s a full list at www.richk.co.uk/FLM06prep/Mchute06.htm

I’ve done my best to spread the runners in each group out so that they won’t all appear at once.

Unfortunately we’ve now reached a stage where every group has 18 or 19 runners in it, and I don’t think that all the supporters have come out to play.

I know this is putting pressure on some of the supporters, so if you’re not able to get what you want to your supporters please just ask for something simple like jelly babies (for example).

I don’t think this applies to Group 2 but I want to be fair and give the same message to each group.

Because we now have so many runners compared to the number of supporters I’m going to stop accepting “new” runners after Wednesday evening. Otherwise there’s a danger that our supporters will be overwhelmed and it might discourage others from volunteering next year, which would be a shame.

Sorry if this seems a little harsh, but one of us has to draw a line in the sand somewhere and it may as well be me . .
  • Welcome new runners - cheers and Sezz Rich - sounds very sensible closing on Wednesday - just looking forward to a friendly face at mile 17
    Trinty how goes healing process?
  • Thanks Sezz thats really encouraging. maybe a shout at me as i come through mudchute would be appropriate!!
  • As I'm new to this I was a bit vague earlier. Just a cheer will be fine, a jelly baby would be a bonus. Might be in a green Macmillan vest after all, but definitely number 1849 and my real name is Nigel. I only use Granadalad as I'm from Granadaland (NorthWest ITV region)
  • Hello All
    A bit slow to find the thread but have done so now! Now getting seriously nervous - i am hoping to do sub 4.30 so whatever that works out (I think around the 12.30 mark). Many thanks for this- my race number is 57226 and I am running for Leukaemia Research so will be wearing bright yellow vest with Becks on front.
    I shall be looking for you!
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Hi! I'm supporting. Do feel free to assign me to a team!

• RM... had another massage yesterday, was advised to run on it today, which I did, but it didn't feel good. So now I'm thinking complete rest til FLM and then see how it feels :/
  • I popped in to announce myself as a latecomer, but I see RichK has already done that for me!

I'm hoping to finish sub 3:30, and from recent experience I would've said I'd be a few minutes behind Goergia's Dad, but now he is AKA Hernia Man maybe I'll be able to catch him!

My number is 28961. I'm not sure what I'll be wearing. Definitely white baseball cap and black gloves whatever the weather. The plan was to run in green Macmillan vest with Katie on the front, but it got lost in the post and hasn't arrived yet. I'm expecting a replacement early next week, but by then the longest run I'll have left to test it on will be only 4 miles, and I don't know whether to risk running a marathon in an untested garmet. It might be too much of a gamble, which is a shame becuase I really want to support (and be supported by!) my chosen charity.

I anticipate needing nothing more than a big cheer at the Mudchute, but if there's a chance I can grab a handful of jelly babies without losing time I might do. I'm going to be so close to my goal that there isn't much margin for error, and stopping for sweeties might be the few seconds separating me from success. We'll see. Maybe I'll be so far ahead (or behind!) that it won't matter...

Happy tapering guys and gals :-)
  • Sorry to hear about your injury Trinity - sounds like me (apart from you are a darn sight speedier :-)) Hadn't run for 2 1/2 weeks when I started on Thursday. Ran Thursday, Saturday and yesterday but not so good after yesterday - contemplating how little I can do before 23rd :-(

So, sorry supporters I am likely to be between Pinkerbelle and LesleyK at present - possibly the latter. I may need to stop for a bit of encouragement.
  • Well not to worry Sian and Trinity im not planning to run till the big day now and really think better to be less fit and injury free ...especially as can keep fitness levels up by swimming and other means

although must admit feels funny the thought of not runnng two weeks prior to most important run....dont know whether to have a little trot out mid week next week to test it...but by that point might not want to know maybe best just to rock up and see how i fair...
  • Trinity - complete rest seem sensible
    Katie - welcome
    I went for a run today 6 miles and it was pouring with rain and windy - thoroughly miserable - just hoping I will not catch a cold!!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

thought I'd pop in and say thanks for including me in this support group. So far my training has gone to plan and I hope to be on for a 3hr marathon. I've not had much time to post on RW just lately but will try and pop in again soon before the big day!

Trin, hope the injury clears asap!

Happy tapering all:-)
  • Ooh, it's all hotting up.

Pinkerbelle - I agree with Sezz, with those half mara times, sub-5 is a real possibility so go for it!

However, i have to disagree just a tinsy bit. I use the run/walk method for half mara's and marathons and find it really works for me.

did a half mara on Sunday - ran the first 7 miles and then decided to go back to original plan of run 1 mile then walk 45 seconds. I covered each mile at exactly the same pace regardless of run or run/walk but it definitely eased the pressure on my knees. contrary to what some may say, it doesn't necessarily slow you down, it just helps some of us on both a mental and physical level to get our best times.

Looking forward to seeing you all!
    Am off on hols until Monday. Hurrah!
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Blimey, wish you'd told me that BEFORE we started on Sunday. And there's me putting all that effort in up that hill. Doh!

:-)
  • Thanks for your concern Pinkerbelle,but it's OK and I've been running the last couple of nights and it feels alright.

GD
  • Hilly - wow, that's amazing! - I hope the day goes to plan for you and you get under 3 hours. You'll probably be back home before I finish (but that's alright because you start a bit earlier) :-)
  • Hi All

New to this great site , doing The FLM( my first marathon ) and starting to get a bit nervous .Anyone out there who can spread their wisdom ?

Hellie
  • AAAAAAARRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
    ran yesterday and this morning have woken up with weird pain in right leg- new feeling and no reason why it should have happened - no idea what to do as all togged up to go out and run but beginning to think that this might not be sensible- think perhaps I shall rest today and see if it has eased by tommorrow- the training plan has now become such a security blanket that i am nervous of missing a run- non-running husband can't say the right thing- all getting a bit tense!
    Rebecca R
  • Rebecca
    Give today a rest - and aim for a gentle session tomorrow - but no expert - worse thing to go today and make thinks worse
  • Thanks Martin, think that is good advice and needed someone else to confirm my gut instinct- will try again in the morning- better go and change!
    R
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Hi Hellie,

It was my first FLM last year. I knew I'd finish it, whether I walked or ran - I'd done the training and just set out to enjoy the day.

I did have a time in mind but actually at 9 miles that time just went out the window and I just ran to enjoy my first marathon, to enjoy FLM and take it in the wonderful atmosphere. So I stopped looking at my watch, enjoyed the day, looked forward to seeing all the supporters at Mudchute and thought about those last 100 yards down The Mall.

Main thing is to enjoy it!

• Evenin' all . .

Bloomin' heck, this is a quiet Group!!!

Anyway . . just to let you know that you have a new Runner in the Group . . please welcome Donald . .

Hellie . . in theory it's now too late to join one of these Groups but as you posted in here on Wednesday (before the cut off date) I'm sure there won't be a problem if you'd like to be part of Group 2 . .

G'nite all . .
  • Well with that introduction, I hardly need to introduce myself.

It looks like a good few of the supporters know my anyway so hi all.

For the record:

Running number: 13371

Expected finish time 3:30

I will be wearing a green Reading Road Runners vest over something, probably a blue long sleeve top (Depending on the weather).

A few Jelly Babes would be great, but just having some support is lovely.

I will probably look something like this

I'm No.1513 with the dark specs