Berlin Marathon 2006

1202122232426»

Comments

• On the conditions: Have Haile and Wami kind of spoiled the excuse that the conditions slowed us down by getting such great times?

Of course they got to finish while it was still relatively cool. Looking at overall results the number of people sub 3 hours was down 20 - 30% on the last 3 years. So, was the field just slower than before, or did the conditions have a huge impact even on the people finishing by noon? And if so how did Haile get a PB and within 61 seconds of a world record? Was he actually in faster than record shape but was slowed down too, or just less susceptible than the rest of us?

I didn't make my dream target (sub 3) but got a 25 min PB at 3:04:03, so I'm satisfied. Will go for sub 3 at FLM. Thought organisation was great, but have not done any other big events so can't compare.

I used to half drown when trying to drink while running, but got hang of it for this race (as they said there would be no bottles) by getting patient friend to hand me cups to drink while running round a track. Squeezing top of cup to make opening smaller helps. I looked silly but it worked - managed to drink a cup on the run at every single water station and thus felt like no dehydration at all.
  • Geb lost the record in the last 7K apparently - he was 22 seconds up at that point. He's blaming the wind more than the temperature.

The heat affects everyone differently - Paula refused to even countenance the possibility that the heat got to her in Athens. Personally, it gets to me and my PW for the Half was at Newark a couple of years ago to prove the point. I can't do humidity either whereas many runners I know aren't badly affected by it.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Some splendid efforts in warm conditions, well done to all.

I ran this last year and the weather was warm on that occasion as well. I remember walking to the start at 7:15am wearing a t-shirt and shorts, not a good sign. It was 19 degrees at the start and about 25 degrees when I finished.

I watched some of the inline skating the day before, quite a bit of carnage. One goes down and many go down with them! Some of them looked like they had been in a war zone when they finished!

Recover well and celebrate well everyone.
  • About the water stations...
    I actually stopped in my tracks, threw the water down my throat and down the back of my legs and over my head and then started "running" again. I stayed hydrated but the heat got to me in some other way, I guess.
    I always thought I was good in the heat as I've spent a lot of years living and running around in hot climates. But apparently not.

Most of my long slow runs this summer were on really hot days as well, and they were all rubbish as well...so I guess the two factors came together spectacularly on Sunday!

I'm up for Paris in April and am going to have to stop whining about the cold. My plan is to do the short stuff on a treadmill when the weather's foul, anyway. (I know...pathetic isn't it)
  • Anyone know when/where the race photos go up?

Can't find anything on Marathon site except a few general photos and don't know what company they used.
  • action photo - they seem to be slowly coming togethr. I've seen one of me just past the Brandenburg Gate looking like I'm in agony. Which I was, funnily enough.
  • There aren't any of me up yet, hopefully they'll find some at some point!
  • Now this is pretty clever (although slightly embarrassing) - put your number in here and watch the full glory of yourself crossing the finish line. Unfortunately I look like I'm about to have a coronary but there we go:

http://en-en.finisherclip.de/
  • dynamokev, thanks for that! "slightly embarrassing" is an understatement! I didn't think it was possible for my face to turn such a shade of red... : )
  • Still no pics up on photo net. Maybe they didn't get any of me. Probably just as well. Husband took a few of total chaos at the drink stations, which I bet are real corkers. When they're out of the camera I'll let you know in case anyone wants some emailed to them!

I've decided to bypass an April marathon (unless I get a ballot place in London, perhaps) and have a crack at Stockholm (June) next year. Have done 4 marathons since April 05 as well as teaching 2-4 yoga classes a day 6 days a week (and I wonder why I'm tired!) Can't see myself being too keen to start this training nonsense again in only 3 months' time!

• Left Foot

I did Stockholm last year. It's good although it starts at 2.30pm! It's 2 laps of the city and very easy for spectators to see you at numerous points. They give out pickles and Red Bull as refreshments!
  • Only one photo of me up on the site - right near the finish with the Brandenburg Gate in the background. I look like a demented beetroot having a bad hair day.
  • The 2pm start (Stockholm) was one of the things that appealed actually! And the Red Bull. And the spring training! Sounds like I'll have to do some hill training though.

If any photos of me come up (Berlin) I'll probably just look like a specator standing still. That's how fast I was moving by the end.
  • i got back from berlin last night a shell of a man after all the drinking. had a good time at the marathon did it in 4.10, which isn't as good as i wanted but it was my first i guess. might look into doing paris. there is a half near me in a month (barns green) but not sure if i will go for that one yet. hope everyone had a good time. it was really hot which was good for my holiday but not so good for the run itself.
  • Question for those who ran this year - Is the Berlin marathon a ballot entry system?

I want to do the 2007 race and need to know if I enter early I would get a place etc.

• no ballot at all. easy to get in and its only 50 euros from what i can remember. i loved it and berlin is ace.
  • I'm considering doing it again... Just pay your money and you're in.
  • yeah i might do it again too. i'm doing paris and stockholm this year so i will maybe see how they go as have had issues with my knee. doing a half in two weeks.
  • Doing Amsterdam half on Sunday...
  • This year the race was full at about the begining of July. So I would say need to apply by the end of May to be safe.

Don't be fooled by the English Runners part of the site that says it's really hard to get in and go for a Charity place.
  • Cheers thanks for all the info - I feel this is a must do marathon to add to the collection this far. I understand its on the 30/09/07 next year, so I will enter early in New year.
  • Dropped in to find out more.... was going to do this one but ran Amsterdam on 15th instead.

Registered on website, but got sooo confused with lack of english stuff.... poor excuse I know.......

Def want to do London and this one next year. When do entries open is there a main website?

How'd you get on YP1 at Amsterdam?
  • Reading your threads I def want to do this one Well done everyone........ :)
  • When can you join up for 2007? anyone got the website?