Options

Berlin Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    Doh! Missed the first scheduled run. Will have to get out tonight for a 5 miler before the 8pm World Cup start. Went for 8 miles on Sunday morning which I found really hard in the heat. Those poor England footballers weren't making excuses for a lack of skill; it really does make difference.
  • Options
    I think I was watching Ghana against Italy yesterday (I don't claim to know owt about football!!!!) but anyway, their shirts were saturated with sweat! I looked the same after 9.5 on saturday!!
  • Options
    Sympathies AC, I try to combine weekday runs with games so that I am not MIA too often! My wife accepts that running is part of my life, and I have been gently prodding her to do a 5, then 10 and a couple of weeks ago Half-marathon. She now has some idea of how difficult a full marathon is! If I was doing that, then coming home and watching footy, I would be eaten alive :-O

The midweek runs are not too long, most of them last a half (depending on how you pace yourself), so you can time your runs to be around for the vital extra few minutes before disappearing....
  • Options
    the training was going well until i got runners knee again. not sure what i should do about it. last time i just rested a week and then it was fine, that was a month before doing a half. very annoyed about this set back. not sure if i should splash out some cash on physio or now. any ideas? its not been too bad, only a bit crunchy and swollen after last run and have rested it since then.
  • Options
    I would strongly recommend physio, or at the very least a bio-mechanics review (bit more involved that just a gait assessment). On that subject RL, when is the last time you had your gait checked?
  • Options
    Get loads of ice on it, Rob. Better still, alternate heat and ice. And have a go with some Ibuprofen or similar if needed - but don't exercise while under the influence of them in case they disguise any pain.

Are your shoes still ok or have they had it? That's a likely cause if they have, as is if you've increased your load too suddenly/changes surfaces etc. Could be gait but I'd check the more likely stuff beforehand.
  • Options
    Andy, how did the St Albans Half go?
  • Options
    have to admit i've never had my gait checked to i guess i should get that done. i've not run for a couple of weeks not but it still feels like it cracks when i move my lower leg up and down. not a smooth action on the knee. i cycle to work and think its affecting that now. Physio i think its going to be. don't want to leave the running any longer as berlin is only 3 months away! hope i can still do it.
  • Options
    I have my flights & hotel booked for Berlin.
    Completed over 20 miles in total today and my first 90 mile week since March. Only problem is I'm not running the marathon - only supporting. (note to self - do not fill out that form!)

Ran it last year though. Great course & really well organised. I'll be round the route supporting and will be on the look out for forumites at various points.
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Aw JEJ - you know you want to........

Who are you supporting??

How's everyone's training going??
  • Options
    90 miles a week??? Do you work JEJ??, have family??, sleep??? I struggle to reach 40 miles a week when training for a marathon. Maybe thats why it takes me 4 hours. Still I do what I can. At the moment I am just maintaining my usual 20 -25 miles a week. Will start to up the mileage gradually in a couple of weeks and increase my Sunday runs.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Well I'm off for 15 miles tomorrow with a mate from my running club who's never done anything longer than 10K, but tends to run 6-7 minute miles quite easily. Should be interesting!

Am having qualms about this "three times a week" training plan, and think for July and August I'm going to make it four as often as possible, then drop back down to 3 during the last three weeks.
  • Options
    I managed a 30 mile week last time for the first time ever, with a 12 mile run yesterday. I'm pretty much into uncharted territory now, so I'll have to see how it goes. A mere 4 miles to look forward to in the morning.
  • Options
    Did Ben Nevis on Saturday, Scafell Pike on Sunday, that was about the same as doing 2 marathon's back to back. Obviously at a slower pace, but a slightly more difficuly incline! Had to give training a miss tonight, still a little sore, but not too bad. I will start building the miles from Wednesday. Here's hoping the weather isn't as bad as it was this weekend (on the mountains, not in your back garden!)
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Well done YP1 - uncharted territory is daunting but gives you a massive sense of achievement!

Enjoy your 15 miler LF - drink plenty - it looks mighty warm out there from my window!

Sounds like a tough weekend Mighty Red

Bev - I think exactly the same about these people churning out huge weekly mileages. What DO they do for a living? Presumably regular inexcessive/flexible working hours. It simply wouldn't be possible with my working hours and commuting.

Anyway - training! RW scedule says 3 x 2 miles fast (11-13 mins) with 800m recoveries. That's mighty fast for me. My legs don't do 6 minute miles ever!! It'll be a watered down version of this I think...
  • Options
    Well i'm at last on track with the training, minor mishap last night due to the football (i'm living in sweden at the moment didn't have much choice). 10k in 57mins on sunday, is proof that the training is paying off (it was only my 2nd ever sub hour 10k and a pb with hills and humidity to deal with) 7 miles tonight, i'm really enjoying this running malarky, here's hoping it stops raining soon though!

How did the 15 miles go left foot?
  • Options
    I found the 15 miles surprisingly hard. A bit tired yesterday to begin with, and could've used a bit more water along the way.

I set the pace although even then I struggled to keep it lively enough for my poor (much faster) running partner. Glad he was there, though, as without the support I probably would have been slower or cut it short. In the end I did about 14.5 miles in 2 hours 15 (including traffic light waits!) which is at least 30seconds slower per mile than I should have been running.

Mind you, my first long-ish run of the season always seems to be tough.
    Summary: I've got a lot of work to do!

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    well done on your 10K Rats :o)

Left foot - my long runs always seem a bit of a struggle, because each one is a bit longer than the one before. Plus the heat at the mo probably makes a bit of a difference.

Did those 2 mile intervals yesterday - predictably slower than the schedule said I should - and ended up going to sleep for an hour afterwards, so it must have been quite hard work!
    Did a slowish 9.35 miles tonight. Schedule said 7 but I usually try and make my Wednesday run a bit longer than that so did a bit extra
  • Options
    Anyone thinking of doing between 4hrs and 4.30? Just got back into training following a chest infection, it knocked me for 6.

I'm aiming at about 40 to 50 miles a week which should get me in between my target time, if you think i'm well off the mark can you let me know.

By the way if anyone would like to meet up in Berlin, i'm going out on the Thursday b4 the race and plan to do a bit of sight seeing, feel free to tag along.
  • Options
    I did 7.6 miles this morning, then I'm due for 14 on Sunday which will be my longest run ever... until next weekend. I was quite happy with this morning's run, it seemed to go a lot better than most of my recent runs so fingers crossed that Sunday won't seem too bad!
  • Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Don`t want to panic anyone but according to my calculations (I did have a spot of bother with my maths `O` level) we have about 13 1/2 weeks to go.

Knock off 3 weeks for tapering and that`s only 10 weeks of serious training.
  • Options
    Mighty Red - Are you training for the 3 peaks challenge or something similar? I'm doing the challenge with a team from work in August and am going for a training walk in Pen-Y-Fan in Wales on Saturday. Not sure when I'll be able to fit in a run but never mind.
  • Options
    BP - We did try for the 3, but severe weather (I know, we couldn't believe it either), and a lack of non-walking drivers, followed by the van refusing to start when we got down from Scafell Pike (and waiting for 2.5 hours for the AA), meant we gave Snowdon a miss.

Having done Snowdon numerous times, I wasn't overly bothered. It did make me realise that the challenge is more difficult than it seems (mainly because of the driving), and is almost impossible to do without at least 2 non-walking drivers.

There is nothing you can do about the weather, and even though we were seriously well equipped, 3 sets of clothing, walking poles, GPS, map & compass, wet weather gear, energy drinks, reserve water, food etc. When you spend 4 or 5 hours in strong winds in the cloud constantly being wet, it can take it's toll on the best of us.

The terrain on the first 2 is very tough, a lot of big rocks and not much path. You need very good moisture wicking hiking socks, and a decent pair of boots (most walkers I have spoken too say give gore-tex boots a miss as they make your feet sweat and take even longer to dry out than non-membrane boots). I would also recommend nipping to Asda and buying some Scholl Gel insoles as these have a moisture wicking layer, and after the evil rocky paths, your feet will love you for it.

Hope this helps, and I hope you are going on an organised trip with experienced walkers. When it gets cloudy it is very difficult to see the cairns, let alone use them to navigate (visibility was down to 4 metres on the Pike).

One final piece of advice, unless you walk a lot downhill, you will suffer severe soreness. This is because of something called eccentric contraction. This basically means that your quads are over-stretching, and as you foot hits the groud, three times you body weight hits your overstreched quads and they are not designed to do this for a prolonged period of time, let alone 3 mountains in 24 hours. Depending on how fit or experienced at downhilling you are, there will be a 3-5 day recovery period. Bear this in mind when looking through your training plan.

As for the training, I have given my body 3 days to repair, and I went in the gym for the first time last night to do some serious foam rolling (that really hurt!) and gentle up-hill walking, followed by a quick jog, then a little sprint. Felt a lot better this morning, will try a fast paced 3 miler to see how my legs react this evening. I think I have a 12 this weekend, so we'll see how well I have recovered.
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    yes Beetle - 94 more days ;o)
  • Options
    MR - thanks for the advice. What a shame about Snowden. Just shows that however much you train things can still go wrong on the day. Ours is an organised walk, and half of the team have done it before (not me). Our company cars dept are letting us have 2 nice comfy new Espaces to use for the weekend and we have 4 support drivers. Think my walking shoes are gore-tex but can't afford to buy another pair at this stage so I'll just have to pray for dry weather!

Know what you mean about the downhills. On a smaller scale, I ran the Boston marathon in April, and the course is mainly downhill. By 20 miles my quads were very sore and it was a struggle to finish. I'll have to see how I feel after this Saturdays training walk, although it wont be as steep as any of the 3 peaks, but it will be a good indication. We are going to Snowden in July.

I'll let you know how I get on.
  • Options
    Woo hoo, my 14 miles this morning went really well, it's the furthest I've ever run but it felt suprisingly manageable at 10 minute miles. I was getting a bit down about my ability to actually keep running through my long runs over the past couple of weeks, but this week I've stuck to my plan pretty well, and got a really good long run out of it. Fingers crossed I can keep it up once the distances start getting even longer!
  • Options
    Well done YP1. They say if that as long as you can do 15 you can do the full marathon on the big day...somehow. And you've got plenty of time to build up to it.
    Well done on the 14. I struggled with my long one this week. I had much more encouraging run today. A swift 5 miles at a pretty decent pace.

• Options
    Had a total energy drain at just 5 miles! Maybe I still haven't fully recovered from my mountain climbing stint last week, maybe it's this annoying bug I've had for the last few days (or a combination). I do feel a lot better today, so I will go for a swift 3 or 4 this evening to see how I feel. I do get this sinking feeling when I get a total energy failure so early on in a run, but we have another 12 or 13 weeks, so plently of time to recover.

Good point LF, though when I finish my first 20 I think, yes this is possible! Not sure I'd be so confident if I hadn't gone beyond 15 in my training though....
  • Options
    MR - Training walk in Pen-Y-Fan went well on Saturday. The weather was really kind to us, in fact it got very warm. The midges had quite a feast on us! Lesson no. 1 - don't forget the insect spray! But then thats the whole point of these training walks.

Still had enough in my legs to do a gentle 5 yesterday, although as you say, the thighs were a little stiff. Got a 10 mile league race on Sunday. should be fine by then.
  • Options
    K9,
    I'm supporting primarily a couple of people from my running club, but realistically anyone who'll wave / smile back!

Bev,
    I actually managed 128 miles in my Christmas hols last year. Work - yes, sleep - yes, eat - you wouldn't believe how much!

I am tempted to enter and treat it as a training run - I managed 24 miles yesterday, over 2 runs, but it only took 2:43 of running. I'm sure it wouldn't do me too much harm pacing a friend round in a sub-3, but I have other priorities for my running over autumn / winter.