35min 10k?

Comments

• Virgil_Virgil_ ✭✭✭
    35.27 as of 3 weeks ago. Potential to go maybe 10 or 20 seconds quicker on a better course, but want to keep improving beyond that!
  • well done everyone on those times, looking good!
  • Hello all,

Quick question: i've gone from a 54min 10k to a 40.38 10k in about 18 months on 20-30 miles a week with speed work (very similar to other posts by the sounds of it) and think I can get below 37m 12s (6m/mile pace) but think breaking 35mins maybe a bridge too far. Would it be worthwhile trying to do the sub 35 min training schedule for runners doing a sub 38 at the present (referring to one of the previous posts)?

I've recently done a 24.2 4miler if thats any help

Cheers

• i dont actually stick to any training plan, i prefer to make my own up...if you want to push yourself and the plans are suited to you tho m8 go for it, i think you should always aim higher than you think you could achieve...
  • I'd agree, I'm aiming for a 2:50 New York marathon, and it may or maynot happen, however, by aiming that high, even if you dont' reach it, you won't be far off... suites me sir :-)

• Ahh, slightly outdated profile Sprinting Toffee - 18 now.
  • just knocked a minute off my 5k pb from 3 weeks ago! first top 10 finish aswell out of 187...came 8th with 16.51! im startin to think this 35 mins is goin to get broke sooner rather than l8r! just need to sort my stamina/endurance out...
  • 1 minute? WTF? No one knocks that much off in 3 weeks unless that 17:51 wasn't you going balls out?

What was the race mate?
  • Well done sprinting toffee thats damn impressive!! Sub 35 10k for you before long.
  • Sprinting Toffee- A truely remarkable performance, well done.

I can see why you're loving it.

I remember reading a thread a while back and you where talking about going sub 18 at Dunham Massey and I thought "no chance" based on your then 10k pb.

But you have suprised me with your improvements, keep it going.

By "35 minute 10k", do you mean 35 minutes and seconds (35:59), or sub 35 (34:59), because if it's first one then you'll do it easily and the second one is more than acheiveable, you'll be challenging for top honours soon.
  • Just read back and it is a "sub 35" target.

Shouldn't be a problem.
  • thanks for that fellas, im still buzzing this morning!!! next 10k isnt until august 20th at birchwood, but ive got 3 5k's, a 5 miler and a 10 miler before that so hopefully can continue to improve in those races before then! hope you are all doing well also...
  • Which 10 miler are you doing (Sale?), You've got to be looking at going sub 60 there. That's my ultimate target.
  • Virgil_Virgil_ ✭✭✭
    Well done sprinting toffee. Sounds like you're a bit of a natural.

In fact you make me sick! ;-)
  • hopefully so virgil! my uncle was a sub 31 10k runner so i think i must get a bit from him! hes been giving me alot of tips aswell, marshallini - ye ive just got my number for sale (76) through today m8, are you doing it? id love to go under 60 mins but ive got nothing to compare it to, as i did the liverpool half marathon in 1 hour 40 in march. It sounded great at the time, but awful now! i only started taking running seriously after that, and havent done anything higher than 10k recently...
  • ST - I did Sale 5 a few weeks back and ran 29:40, but then since then haven't had a good race. I was really gunning for a sub 60 at Sale 10 but after the 5 I thought it's going to be a while off yet, but I'll be there giving it a good go.
    I need to to pull my finger out and train hard and train consistently and by Brampton to Carlisle Nov 17, I'll be up for it.

If you don't run out of steam you should comfortably break the hour.
  • I ran 57:31 for a 10M without having broken 17 mins for a 5km, or 30 for a 5M (although both pb's were a bit out of date. Provided you've done the threshold work, you'll fly under 60mins.

Come to think of it, I'm still yet to officially break my 5M pb of 30:10, despite having gone through 5M in a marathon almost 30s quicker!
  • Virgil_Virgil_ ✭✭✭
    st - I've done 58.45 this year already on a not particularly fast course, but my 5K time is only just over 17 mins. I'd say you've got the speed, just hope you have the endurance as well.
  • thanks again for the encouragement fellas, endurance is definetly something i need to work on! ive been doing a weekly 10 mile run with my club on a sunday for the last couple of weeks, should this be ok or any other suggestions?
  • Fine for 5kms (and obviously working well) but you should be doing a weekly long run of 90mins for 10km - 10M, and more if you're concentrating on 10M - HM.
  • Good run sprinting toffee. I was 30 seconds ahead of you in last nights race. I think I shook your hand at the end.

If you want to break 35min I recommend coming down to Wavertree track on a tuesday and a thursday. In the group I train with really good specific 10k and 5k sessions are done with runners who can do between about 30 and 35min for 10k.

You could come to "Saturday club" on a saturday although most of the sessions are 1500m sessions at the moment whcih will do you no harm for a 10k. Check it out http://saturdayclub.webeden.co.uk/

• cheers james! thanks m8, you did really well think i was behind you for a bit but you upped the pace and i couldnt keep up! i train with lrc on tuesdays, thursdays, and sundays but im definitely interested in the saturday club. Where is the training this saturday m8?
  • whats your weekly milage at the moment sprinting toffee?
  • last couple of weeks ive upped it to about 30-35 id do more if i could, but because ive only recently started training hard my legs wont take it!!! and ive had to have a few rest days
  • 35 min 10k off of 30-35 miles a week is impressive. You'll probably make much improvement if/when you up the mileage in future.
  • Man, with these times Toffee... I'm gonna have to shift at birchwood ;-)
  • Appologies for this hijacking but I'd like some advice on running a sub 60 minute 10 miler, namely Sale 10 in 5 weeks and you seem like a good bunch of people with the knowledge to help.

I ran a 17.58 5k and a 37.21 10k 8 weeks ago (both pb's)and a 29.40 5 mile at Sale, 5 weeks ago (another pb), since then I've done 3 5k's, all under 6 minute mile pace, but not brilliant performances and a 10k where I ran really, really badly (40.30).

Anyway, with 5 weeks until Sale, I'd like to know if any one thinks I could improve enough to dip under the hour and what would be the best way to go about it.

I missed most of Jan-March with injury and have averaged about 25-30 miles a week since coming back and the only quality was racing. The last two weeks I've just been alternating long hilly runs (2 hours +) with short easy runs (30-40 mins) equalling 60+ mile per week.

I'm racing a half tommorrow, but with temperatures possibly reaching 30 Deg C, I don't hold out much hope for a brilliant time, but I'll settle a strong second half.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks Chris.
  • Marshallini, I'd recommend working on threshold for the next 4 weeks.

Right now this is probably around 6:10 - 6:20 min miles, so it will be hard work but well worthwhile.

Try to run at this pace twice per week. Something like - warm up, 2 x 20 mins (90s recovery), cool off - should be tough but achieveable.

A session along the lines of 10 x 1km @ 10km pace (90s recover) will have a similar effect.

Two weeks out, put in a set of shorter, sharper intervals - something like 12 x 400m @ 3000m pace, speeding up to mile pace for the last few.

Then be sure to cut back in the last week - keep the runs short & sharp.

As an aside, I'm a believer in keeping hills to hill sessions & long runs to flattish areas. This will mean you get the full benefits of the quality hill session and full benefits of the long run. By combining them you risk working too hard on the long run, losing some benefit & making it take longer to recover from, and the hills you cover probably wouldn't consitute a hill session in most peoples' books.
  • JEJ - Thanks for the advice.

This is what I was thinking of doing:
    Day 1 - Long, 15ish.
    Day 2 - Recovery run, easy 4-5.
    Day 3 - Quality, something similar to what you've suggested.
    Day 4 - Recovery run, easy 4-5.
    and repeat, Long/Recovery/Quality/Recovery..etc etc