Burnham Beeches Half-Marathon

Comments

• Burnham is the nearest station - 2-3 miles away. First Great Western out of Paddington, I believe.
  • Jonathan, I guess you could take bike on the train and cycle from there, as it would be a Sunday. Thinking about doing that as well.
    Anybody know what time of the day it starts? Web site does not say much ...
  • 10:00, according to the Events section of the RW site. But their details have been known to be wrong before!
  • Cheers, GD and Bart. Thinking I will probably take the bike on the train. The start is 10.00 according to the Burnham Joggers site.
  • Hi Muttley. I ran it that year with the Kenyans and got lapped too. It did teach me how to run fast though, it's easy, I've seen it done. Just take big strides and move your legs quickly.
    You might like to know that I managed a word with the manager/coach of the 2nd place guy. He was complaining about the hills. I pointed out that the race description said "undulating" to which the response was "Yes, but I didn't know it was going to be as ******* undulating as that!"
    PS I'll be the one in the yellow jerkin saying come on you're looking good.
  • JARHEADJARHEAD ✭✭✭
    LOL i to remember the Kenyans..he..he mainly my Club Mate,who has a fair pace himself...''jesus have a word...did you see those guys go'' ,he ran about 1.16 that day,i ran about 1.30...both well down the field...

Looking forward to it again this year,if only for the climb at the end...the painnnnn....good luck all,hopefully not to hot.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I'm glad it wasn't a figment of my imagination!

Got my number today - 404. I always feel good when I've got a number stuck to my fridge door.
  • Morning guys. Got my number this morning - 380. Just completed the Regents Park 10K in the morning sun - Glorious. See y'all there - HOG.
  • I might be up for this one. Depends if I can stay off the beer, on Sat, as the weekend is between mine and my brothers birthdays.
  • my brothers decided, to go to Clacton next weekend so count me in.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    You've passed up on a weekend in Clacton to do the event?

The organizers could ask for no higher recommendation than that!
  • No I wasn't invited to go to Clacton. I think my brothers going to get away from me!!!!!!!

• First time for me.
    2 questions if anyone can help:-
    1) says undulating but can someone give us newcomers a feel as this definition seems to include a wide variety of courses.
    2) where are the drinks stations and how does it come e.g. bottles or cups (if the latter I may take my own bottle as water from cups end up down my front rather than in my mouth!).
  • If it's hot take your own water anyway. I always carry a bottle around my waist.
  • Take undulating as up and down! I don't know the area but I am sure it will be prepared for a hill or 3 and enjoy the down bits!
  • On a half marathon there will be water every 3 miles or so. At this race the water will be in cups. Carrying water is a matter of choice but personally I hate carrying stuff. I just walk for 3 or 4 seconds while drinking and enjoy the rest.The time lost you can make up by not carrying ballast! If you want to run 65 minutes, then practice drinking and running.
  • Wemustbemad: it's constantly little ups & downs from what I remember & as a result (for me at least) is a lot harder than 2 other local half-marathons that have big hills in them - Wycombe & Marlow
  • Thx Kieren - better than big hills I suppose but a pain when I'm looking for a pb.........
    MTM - 65 minutes!
  • Wemustbemad: More like 1:50 for me... 56yo TOG

• Hie everyone

I've booked myself for this one too. It will be my first race since in ran the great wall in May. I have had too many injuries and have not been training all that well, but hey i will just hope for 2hrs. Looks like i will be at the tail :-} so far!!

MTM - 65 minutes
    Kieren - < 1:31
    Forest Runner - 1:35
    Wemustbemad: More like 1:50 for me...
    Flying high: - 2:00

• I'm doing this one again this year. Just had a few days off coz I've had a cold, so probably won't get under 1.30 this time around. You'll recognise me from my sunflower shorts.

MTM - 65 minutes
    Infernal Running Machine - < 1.35
  • I'm looking for about 2.00. Then I want to run another 3 or 4 miles. To turn this into a long training run for Abingdon.

MTM - 65 minutes
    Infernal Running Machine - < 1.35
    cyberwebjaws - 2:00 then 4 more miles

God luck to everyone on sunday. Lets hope the weathers nice to us!!!!!
  • 10:00 Light Rain 16° From the West at 11 mph
    11:00 Few Showers 17° From the West at 12 mph
    12:00 Few Showers 18° From the West at 13 mph
    Could be worse I suppose but the family have decided to not come along for a picnic and are leaving me to it - can't blame them!
    I'll be in my Children Wish vest.

• I'm stuck at work. Couldn't get the day off. Thought about pulling a sickie but there would have been too much explaining to do if I'd gone round in 58 minutes and then been in all the papers tomorrow. Hope you all enjoyed the race. Hope the tea-leaves kept out of the car park this year.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Am I the first one back?

Finished in 1:48:3x, so a bit disappointed after aiming for 1:45. I was on target to about 9-10 miles, but after that the legs started to baulk at the inclines. Going uphill got harder and slower, converting uphill to level running went the same way, and the steam for the downhill bits was running out too. The gradients at miles 11 and 12 just about did for me. But still, not too bad.

As always a great event and an excellent venue. I don't drive, so can't comment on the parking (there have been issues in the past, apparently). Great course, enthusiastic and happy marshals, and definitely the best baggage hall around. Thumbs up to Burnham Joggers!
  • Parking was fine...well it was for us! No probs getting in or out.

I can't fault this event at all and the hills were definately not bad, just added a bit of variety.

Just pleased to do an even paced longer run.

Not sure the lead runner should have had coaching from the bike rider behind him though!!
  • I really enjoyed that. So much I went out and did the extra 4 miles. The last two were a bit slow, 11 minute miles. I even went for a swim afterwards. That looosened the legs up nicely.

The schools a great place to hold the start. thats the first time , that I haven't had to que for the toilet. there were loads inside and they even put on some portaloos as well.

No problems parking, then I didn't expect anyone to brake into a Transit flatback truck.

I'm looking forward to next year allready.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say ... as I was about 30 seconds from the line they announced the finish of the first over-70 vet. Beaten by a bloke 25 years older than me :-(
  • Really enjoyed this.
    Well done MTM and delighted to meet you at the end!
    Hopefully the positive marks / comments being posted will encourage more people to come next year and make this event even more successful.
  • Did 1.30.35. Bit better than I was expecting because I had a cold all week, but it still would have been nice to get under 1.30.

Good to have this race back - well organised, great course, great facilities.

Anyone know when the results will be up on the website?