Tuesday 18th April 2006

MinksMinks ✭✭✭
... Got to pick up the pace
If you want to stay in the race ...

One for all FLMers!

As I'm still up, thought I'd take a rare opportunity to start the thread (helps that I'm off work this week!)

What: 3 miles easy.
Why: This taper thing ...
Last hard: Last week sometime.
Last rest: Yesterday.

Have a good day out there ...

Comments

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: Something betwen 4 & 5 miles
    Why: getting back to where i once was.
    Last Hard: Friday

Have a good day, work for me. Should start to quieten down
  • Morning all

What: 6 miles fartlek
    Why: Need to get back in shape
    Last Hard: 10 miles on Sunday

Have had to take the day off work to look after my kids, my wife is not well. Hope I can squeeze my run in later.
  • Nice timing Minks - 3 secs inside the cut off! FWIW I wouldn't use a Garmin for pacing as the displayed pace varies from your actual pace and you can spend far too long studying that instead of concentrating on your running.

Good racing yesterday, especially SiT and WP on the comeback trails.

What: work all day:-( / 6 miles pm inc. 10 x 30 secs fartlek.
    Why: last bit of sharpening for the FLMers at the club and I need to gently nudge the FT fibres back into life.
  • URR - just seen Boston results. Guess I'd have had to back your tips each way for 1/4 the odds to recoup my money then:-)
  • SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Morning

SiT - Well done.

What: 8 miles easy
    Why: Back to business
    Last hard: Saturday

David F - You were right,HR is back to normal today. *Big sigh of relief*

Have a good one.
  • Morning All.
    I have not had time to catch up on the forum yet, I will attempt it later today. I hope you all had a good few days of training and running races. As you were all aware I was away in Cape Town running the Two Oceans Ultra Marathon. As promised here is my condensed race report.

The race started at 7:00 the morning, it was already warm and I knew I was in for a hot day. The first few water tables were manned quite well except there were thousands of runners and there was slight congestion. The first 28 km of the route is reasonably fast and flat and many a novice runner blows it in the second half. The real race starts at about 30 km when the serious climbs start. As I reached 20 km my right knee went “BANG” and I knew that the next 36 km were going to be a slow and painful run. I searched my running belt but found that I forgot my pain pills, OOCH.
    Because of the strain I was running with my lungs (CF-Lungs) started playing up and my coughing and breathing was a bit messed. As I started the climbs some of the water tables ran out of water and those that did have, the water tasted like diluted bleach. The heat became a major factor for the slow runners like myself. The thing with Cystic Fibrosis we loose salt very quickly and in large amounts, so I ended up dehydrating and needing a Saline drip. I felt strong the last 8 km and picked up the pace. I finished just under 10 minutes quicker than 2004.
    My splits are as follows:

9 km : 00:58:45 / 6.53 (min/km) / 9.19 (km/h)
    28 km : 03:00:59 / 6.46 (min/km) / 9.28 (km/h)
    42 km : 04:57:01 / 7.07 (min/km) / 8.48 (km/h)

Finish Time : 06:41:48

Start training for Comrades now………………….
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    Good morning all.

Minks, you could use the garmin for mile splits at FLM by pressing the lap button at each mile marker, although the garmin will show different distances for each 'lap'. Don't rely on it for your pacing though. Last year my garmin told me I ran 27.2 miles!

MOL, well done. I am once again awed by your determination in circumstances which would cause many to give up!

Well done all other racers yesterday. I hope your achilles is happy this morning WP.

What: 3 or so miles
    Why: getting back to it
    Last hard: ???

A day at the science museum today with my 5 and 6 year old nephews.

Have a good day all.

• Some gutsy running there MOL. To hit a pb in those circumstances is remarkable!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Well done MOL

What : 7 miles , with 2 at mara pace, 2 at HM pace
    Why: legs still a bit tired so backing off from heavy speedwork until the end of the week.

Why does easter weekend fly by?
  • Morning

Well done to Simon great too see you are on a come back with your race:-)

MOL
    Words fail me such guts and determination well done!

thanks for all kind words over my achilles;-)

Yes achilles is feeling fine no reaction this morning but sticking to the plan so gym day today,things are on the up at last

I believe the improvement to be the homopathic remedy I have been using.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning

MOL, amazing performance, well done!

What:6 miles incl 10x30 sec strides
    why:final sharpener for FLM

• BR - Must have been down to the weather! The Kenyan girl was rather considered as dark horse and the Latvian was already closing in, another mile and the result would be the other way around. As for the men. Those who are in the training group with Tergat are always up for a win. He ran sub 60 mins in Lisbon half marathon. The guy in 2nd was the most feared among the athletes and was up for a big win.

Next Sunday, Deena Kastor, can't see anybody else being able to keep up with her and some others like Dita have already explained their are not at their best. Men's race is still open in my view. The pace has been declared 1:02:xx half way. There are quite a bunch of runners who can match that pace: Geb, Tergat, Lel, Shami, Limo, Ramaala and Isgewe.

What? Club run
    Why? Week 3 after Rotters
  • morning all,

That's awesomme running and proper determination MOL. Well done.

Good running in your 12k race SiT. Looks like things are finally heading in the right direction for you.

Minks, i'd use my watch for splits on sunday. If the Garmin loses signal at or near a mile marker it will throw out your splits. Why not set the Garmin on training partner mode and monitor your progress against your target time, and use you watch for splits. Must admit i've only worn my Garmin in races i've just used as training runs though.

what : probably a rest
    why : don't want to overuse foot during recovery
    last hard : 2 weeks
    last rest : sat
  • Morning all

MOL-what a determined run in difficult circumstances-well done!

I still haven't caught up with the threads, I'll have to look later, but hope the racers went well.

what-3 miles at marathon pace
    why-taper
    last hard-Sunday
    last rest-yesterday

It's a beautiful day here. Hope everyone's day goes well.
  • Morning

MOL - Congrats and amazing performance

What - 5 miles
    Why - Keep me ticking over

Have to read back at lunch

Enjoy
  • MOL-well done
    Do you take salt supplements?

3 miles for me-all done
  • morning

what a performance there against some pretty tough obstacles MOL ! and speeding up in the last 8k for a 10min pb, many many congratulations

some fab racing going on yesterday -
    holly - great tri performance, i particularly like the getting out of the pool pic

very well controlled race simon and lovely to see you coming back into form after the fractures

collective phew for WP - nice run there and so please achilles is behaving

nice finish stuart for 6th and a pb that will stand the test of time
    good start to the track racing micksta ans well held into the wind
    nice steady race 200 mins for your pint, marathon recovery coming along nicely

i was really touched by the warm messages everyone sent yesterday for my friend, thank you so much. we have had a few tears since it happened but managed a few laughs too yesterday. it seems her died died pretty instantly, huge shock for the family but isn't it just the way you would want to go, and doing something you love doing (he was gardening)

re the FLM my nails are down to the knuckles already and i'll only be on the tv start whatever colour that is!

what - nice steady 5-6 miles
    why - back on a 'normal' day

• Hippo - yes I do, but I did not take enough on the day. I have also being training with a different "energy gel" and only after the race I noticed there is no salt in them. I have thrown them all away and will resort back to my old "gels"
  • morning,

MOL - well done

minks - fwiw, I'll be using my Garmin manually, but I will leave the GPS on for interest's sake! I'm not going to rely on it for distance or pacing.

What: 8x400m later
    Why: loosener as part of taper, as far as I can work out from the schedule I'm following
    Last hard: quite a while ago
    Last rest: yesterday (serious couch potato day)
  • Morning all,

Some great runs yesterday.

MOL, that's a fantastic effort. Hope the knee is ok and you can get your re-fuelling sorted out for Comrades.

What: Might go along to a running club for first time this evening.
    Why: Just to see.

Have a good day all.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    back from 3 miles - quite speedy (for me) but very hard work. Fantastic morning for running in south London - cool but sunny.

Meant to say, Sportaloo, glad to hear your HR is back to normal.

clink - my dad died like that. Very suddenly and completely out of the blue, while watching the golf. It is a huge shock but it is good to know that he didn't suffer.

• Morning,

I've missed the past few days having been away but will read back; nrg-b the last thing I remember intending to post was congrats on your Rotterdam marathon.

MOL, don't know how you do it, very well done, genuine question, do you compromise your health condition with that type of race?

Thanks for list of training thread flm runners yesterday, good summary and well wishes to all of you tapering this week.

My 3 peaks partner has dropped out as she has been ill for 3 weeks (during which she raced with a chest infection - may ring bells for some of you, you know who you are!) Really disappointed as we've trained & reccied it together but will just do it on my own as I don't have many running partners who'd do an event like that at a drop of a hat (MOL, Sportaloo, NZC and Trinirunner being inconveniently located across the globe, maybe I could ask Hilly, she'll have had a whole week to recover from her flm and might be glad of a bit of a plod in Yorkshire...?)

Have now officially eliminated all my running partners through illness/injury, it's beginning to look like carelessness.

What: 1 hr along the river.
    Why: 2 days without running due to family commitments, itching to get out and club tomorrow which I want to work hard at.
    Last hard: Sat - 2 hrs fell run, decided to pick own route xcountry and floundered around on sodden tussocks for the most part.
    Rest: past 2 days.

Off to read weekend thread now.
  • MOL - well done on racing though the knee, lung and running pain to get a 10 minute improvement in time! Your post is so understated - I love it - you drop statements in like "the next 36km" and "needing a saline drip" so casually - delivers a huge KUTCBA to the thread! Thanks!

Thanks for all the comments from yesterday -I've been happily buzzin for 24 hours - I think Shiraz's photography helped a lot :-) Split results are now in and I came 44th in the swim, 92nd in the cycle and 100th in the run... 77th overall and clearly I must work on the running ;-) This first race gives me some clear targets to improve on in my next 2 races this summer over the same course.

What: 1.65km swim with Shiraz d&d - maybe an easy run later
    Why: Recovery day
    Lyrics: Nah

Joining in the thread FLM talk:

- I'll be aiming to support at the Blue start, at Greenwich, at Mudchute and at Westminster - I'll roughly be aiming to follow Shiraz (she's now openly stated her 3:45 target) but will be arriving as early as possible and staying as long as I dare at Mudchute with Stellina, Stumpy and others. There's also a chance I'll make it to the Battle Of Trafalgar afterwards.

- I'll also be at the Expo tomorrow night - Shiraz can't be allowed there alone with her credit card - anyone else around?

If all daily thread FLM runners could paint yourselves bright blue it will make idenitfying and supporting you much easier - thanks!
  • morning..

MOL...well done really pleased for you. Your a tough cookie.

Hollywood..well done on your TRI, great report and pics.

What: 7 miles later..decorating to finish first...otherwise Mrs Tiger won't be pleased!

Minks..like others have said..i'd use just a stop watch.

Minks...re FLM...leave the nails alone...
    must agree though...i'm getting butterfly's.
  • Hollywood...what shade of bright blue??

<tiger gets coat and drives to DIY superstore>
  • Scar Runner - I suppose I do compromise my health to an extent. My Professor looking after me has given me the green light and has said I should keep going. I know that CF can send you into depression, seeing all my friends around me die did affect me. I have lost 18 very good friends in less than three years. The running seems to keep the "spirits" up and that is what keeps me going. So I will keep going as long as possible
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    morning all,

MOL - superhuman effort. Excellent!

What: 40 mins including 10x30 sec strides
    Why: easy but fast
  • Morning

What:
    AM- 30mins easy
    PM- 16 x 400m, off 1min

Why: Recovery/ Speed

Last hard: sunday

Last rest: 1month 2days ago

train well
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Morning All,

Well Done's to all easter weekend racers.

WP: You must be so pleased with your 5K - very nice :-)

Simon: That's a great result, onwards and upwards!

MOL: Simply amazing. Well done!

Minks: I've used the Garmin forerunner virtual training partner with automatic one mile splits on all my races (except Rotterdam where I forgot to enable the 1m split option!). The training partner helps with pacing and the mile-splits makes for interesting post-race analysis. But you should not rely on it, use a pace band to tell you where you should be at every mile.

Hollywood: I might be at the Expo tomorrow.

FLM taperers: You may be interested to know that I had a fun time last night. We went out to my local favourite curry restaurant. And I got pleasantly drunk: 2 pints of carlsberg, bottle of Black Tower wine, and an irish coffee for dessert. Feel great now :-) You can all look forward to something similar next week ;-)

What: Nowt. Taking it easy this week.
    Why: Mara recovery. Rather then stress fracture, I think my ankle could be suffering from Posterior Tibialis Tendonitis as the symptoms seem to match.

• Mol: Like everyone else, words fail me at your sheer determination. Congrats on the PB!

200 minutes: Hope you enjoyed the pint!

Great to see SiT and poppy back running :)

Thanks for all the well dones from yesterday.
    have a look at my <a href="http://www.eventrevisited.com/photoview.aspx?image=eventphotos/theos10k06/0010.jpg">finishing photo</a>

What: 5m steady PM, maybee some hills as well if i'm feeling better
    Why: Why Not
    Last hard: sunday
    last rest: 7 days

Feel i should know the lyrics, but it's not twigged yet...