Options

Tuesday 18th April 2006

Comments

• Options
    oops, could someone better than me with the linking tell me what i've done wrong there?

cheers
  • Options
    Hello everyone!

Minks - Agree with BR, the Garmin is too innacurte to use for pacing and it does sometimes give spurious readings that can either depress you or con you into thinking that you're faster than you really are. Also, on cloudy days, sometimes it doesn't give a decent reading, which is very frustrating. You've been running long enough to judge your pace by how you feel + mile markers, so I'd question whether you need it. Simplicity is best!

Clink - I'm at the TV start too ;-)

Scoobs - what a lovely day! Glad you made the 1:5 - well done!

MOL - words fail me! What an achievement

SR - Oh no, not another running partner! Hope she makes a swift recovery

What: EAsy run a.m., 10.8 mile club TT on the bike tonight.
    Why: The run because yesterday's 6 miler felt hard - think my body forgets how to run if I don't do it often enough, something to do with muscle memory? The TT because - well, time trialling is fun (in a sick sort of way).
    Last hard; Yesterday's hill efforts on the bike
    LAst rest: friday

Off to fit the tri bars to my bike now ...

Oh, and I start my new job tomorrow - eek!

WP - well done on the comeback

• Options
    Morning all

I'm still in my p.j.'s! <<hangs head in shame>> I'm still feeling a bit wiped after yesterday as this is a lot of exercise in one day for me!

Popsider: Yes I did climb 1 in 5 yesterday and yes I nearly died doing it :0), but now I've done it I shall do it again. Many of the hills are like this but that one is an absolute pig!

Drew: No we are not all into fitness really. Mr Scoobs used to play squash, I started running, he started running. I couldn't run so started cycling and he has now joined me and has bought a lovely new shiny racing bike. I wasn't brave enough to go for the dropped handlebars so have a hybrid which is ideal for me and I love it. Teenage scoobs likes to mess around with badminton and ping pong in the holidays and is a good swimmer when not doing handstands, duck dives etc etc. She does come to the gym maybe once a week with me, but does not like to exert herself too much, although I have to say she has become quite keen on the rower and records her 2000metre times. Older teenage scoobs no longer lives with us as is on apprenticeship scheme. He is nuts - a real no fear type of guy. He used to do a lot of dirt jumping and downhill riding on his bike, but now he prefers the pub! :0)

200 mins - I did Bampton in 2004 just after I joined my running club and started to get more serious about running. Really enjoyed it. I only remember one hill that was towards the end of the race. Lovely downhill finish if my memory serves me right.

What: prob just my run/walk today. Maybe gym if I get the time
    Why: return to running continues - phase 1
    Last Hard: Puff puffs = hill
    Last Rest: Well I was asleep last night so that should count in my book!

I have scared the neighbours off as hung out washing in my p.j.s with old pair of trainers thrown on and now it looks like rain, so may have to dash out again! Grrr!

Time for read back.

• Options
    Morning regulars!

Inspirational stuff MOL! Hope you can sort out the salt intake issue, and good to hear that Sportaloo is perking up.

Keep tapering FLM folks!

ME: 4M pacey fartlek type run. Good fun
    Yesterday: 8M slow run, as I found an hour to get out of the house, in the end.

Take care

• Options
    Morning All,

MOL: Well done on the two oceans. Sounds a bit grim, but well battled.

I've missed the weekend threads due to the support weekend from hell, and was out of circulation yesterday to try and get some pre-FLM sleep. I haven't read back, but I'll add myself to the FLM list. I'm registering Thursday lunchtime.

Green start:
    Blisters
    Drew
    K9 - 3:20 - 3:30 hopefully!
    Minks
    Scobos
    Tigerunner and club mate:2-46/47 ish mate 3.00hrs
    TmR
    Wardi: 3:05 ish prob.pen 2 like last year.

Ladies Start:
    Hilly: 3:00 hopefully-)

Red start:
    SGQ - 3:45
    AJH - once it was 3:45, now it is to get round without too much mess :-)

Blue Start:
    AF - not telling!

I won't be painting myself blue, but you might spot the shorts.

What: AM: 5m PM 4m Recovery. Nice run this morning, No aches, pains, or residual tiredness. The morning sun glinting on the yellow FLM Advanced Notice signs all the way to Tower Bridge.
    Why: Taper
    Last Hard: Wednesday
    Last Rest: 80 days

Hava a good one
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Morning all

Not been around for a week or so - mainly because I've been sulking about my shinsplints. Also found that I'm totally knackered once I stopped running. Most of Easter was spent snoozing at every possible opportunity.

what: cycle to/from work (20 miles total), club run p.m.
    why: Car failed MOT / tapering for FLM

Off down to London on Thursday and I'll be in the expo on Friday. Hope all the other FLMers are tapering OK.

MOl -fanatstic effort. Hope you've recovered fully.
  • Options
    Virgil_Virgil_ ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Well done MOL, 200 minutes and other racers at the weekend.

My session last night was on the track - a 'lactic stacking' session as those in the know would call it ;-)

3 sets of 3x300m, with 3 mins recovery between reps and 5 mins between sets.

Apart from the first one, all reps were 47-49 seconds. And it was windy!

My legs turned to jelly after I'd completed this, which was probably the idea.

Tonight: Relatively easy 7 miles or so.
    Why: recovery and general aerobic training
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Saturday

• Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Just adding meself to the FLM list:

Green start:
    Blisters
    Drew
    Minks
    Scobos
    TmR
    Podro: 3:00ish? If I can get enough voltarol down me

Ladies Start:

Red start:

Blue Start:
    AF - not telling!

• Options
    Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    Morning

sportaloo - pleased your HR is back to normal

MOL - words fail me but I'll try to remember your fortitude next Sunday and use it to keep me going

Green start:
    Blisters
    Drew
    Minks
    Scobos
    TmR

Ladies Start:

Red start:

Blue Start:
    AF - not telling!
    beanz - 6 hours - hoping there will still be someone in the Thistle when I get there

what: nothing
    why: tapering and tired
  • Options
    Minks – I’m with BR on the garmin. I find the pace part of it very unreliable and not at all accurate. I do only have the 201 though so this may have improved. My theory for the pace not being reliable is that it seems to take a while to register when you up or down the pace, so it could say you are doing 8 min miling when in actual fact you are nearer to 9 min miling as have altered pace and of course by the time it registers the change you may well have altered pace slightly again. You could always take it anyway to use for split times and then calculate and compare against mile markers. By the time you’ve done the calculations you’ll be nearing the next mile which is a great way to pass the miles!

MOL – well done on finishing. You are amazing! That sounds like a real nightmare of a race. I hope you’re ok.

Mava – well done on getting out for your run and enjoy the science museum.

NRG-b – glad to hear you don’t think ankle is a SF, hope it recovers soon.

Lizzy – best of luck with new job tomorrow and with the fitting of the tri bars! How is your dad?

Clink – lovely that you and your friend managed to smile yesterday. Great that you are there able to be with your friend at this time.

SR – so sorry to hear of your training partner dropping out and I hope you do manage to find another.

AF – I’ll look out for the union jack then! :0)

WP - good to hear there is no reaction from your achilles.

I hope all tapering for FLM are ok and not having panic's.

Fo those that are.

Scoobs is sending you all calming vibes. <<calm, calm>> No you are not all turning into lumpy lard, couch potato types. No all of your fitness is not going down the drain whilst you taper. And YES you will be able to run 26.2 miles! You are all finely tuned running machine fit god/godessess and will be brilliant! :0)

• Options
    Morning all,
    Intresting Boston marathon yesterday, enjoyed it very much, especially the finish and the new course record, how close was that? ;p

Did a 6-mile recovery run last night which went pretty well no problems really.

Still, looking forward to tapering after this week for Manchester, been running on heavy laden legs for weeks now, will be nice to get the pace and zip back for a few months before I knuckle down to Marathon training!

What:
    am: 6-miles steady/comfy already done (6:30mm) achillis were very stiff today, and quads unresponsive, delayed reaction from yesterday, but moved ok, once I got into the run.

pm: 7.5mile steady/comfy multi-terrain run, going off road for 5m today, and keeping pace in check.

Why:
    Aerobic endurance and 10k training plan.

Thank you for the well dones for yesterdays race, looking at my last 3000m which I did sept 2005, I was 2-secs quicker and thats with 40mpw extra in my legs for the week!!!

BLISTERS:
    Yep a bit below what I should be doing, 9:35-9:45 would be a better time, but then im hardly easing down for races at the moment, it will come during the summer months when my training focus is race results in general.
  • Options
    Morning runners.

Nice report MOL. A triumph of determination over adversity.

Well, the calf is not looking good. I'm still limping badly, need to hold the bannisters to get up/down stairs and could barely use the clutch in the car this morning :-(

Of the 5 marathons I've entered, this looks like being my 4th DNS. :-( :-( :-(
  • Options
    Morning (just) to all,
    hope everybody had a nice holiday!

Mol - what an amazing run, I bet you're floating in mid air because of your achievement, well, I would.
    I am sorry to hear about your friends, there's no words that can console whan somebody dies, I am thinking of you and am glad that runnning is helping you to keep going and keep the spirits up.

To all flmrs, I am supporting - I will be at group nine at Mudchute, wearing a clown wig, will be supporting Podro in particular (because he's in my group of runners), but if you want a shout or anything else let me know.

There's a lot going on in my life at the moment, I am officially starting my new job next week and I will be snowed under with meetings - then Mr S. has thought well to go away for work for a couple of days leaving me Master of the Kindergarten... my posts are going to be a bit erratic in the next week or so. But I will read daily and think of you all.

Today:
    reps tonight
    Why:
    Obeying orders
    Last hard:
    Sunday
    Last rest:
    ?forgot?
  • Options
    Oh Minks you're in my group too, did not mean to forget about you.
  • Options
    ((FAB)) so sorry to hear that. Can you defer the entry until next year? So sorry to hear even the stairs are hard to manage. Take good care of that calf and allow it to heal.
  • Options
    Stellina, I can reassure you that Simon has his male clients/patients hopping around in all sorts of fashions as well ;-)
    I think he's wiseing up to the fact that I've got enough trouble staying upright on both feet and eyes open too...

Some cracking running over the Easter weekend, guys/gals!
    MOL deserves special mention obviously. Good soldier!

I've been home and the combination of countless-course meals, rivers of wine and beer and apart from some walking no exercise whatsoever has resulted in putting on 5lbs in 5 days. That bourgondian lifestyle is hard to resist!
    Enjoyed spending time with my grandpa who's been poorly and was very emotional when we left. It's hard seeing the strength leaving your loved ones...
    Hope spring brings him some more!

Saw an U20's cycling race passing my dad's house, 20 twisty laps over 2 bridges crossing a motorway totalling 106km's all done averaging 41kph. Reminded me what popsider said about the level of training it takes just to be able to follow the pack in races. Pretty impressive for a very low profile race.

What: ankle exercises/iceing + leisurely jog just down the street and back (<1M)
    Why: I really need to 'run'. My legs ache everywhere and I'm sure it's just me going mad.
    Last rest: all weekend
    Last hard: scales this morning!
  • Options
    Afternoon,

MOL-Well done, cracking run.

What: 4km swim am, 45min run pm
    Why: Needed a long swim, feeling fat.
    Last Hard: Last Wednesday
    Last Rest: 2 days

Should I change my 45mins run tonight to 3 fast mile reps with mile warm up and cool down?

• Options
    Morning all,

MOL - Fantastic gritty performance. A real motivator, very, very well done. ps have you tried hi electrolyte gells? Hope the kneee gets better soon.

Scar Runner - If I had the cash I would fly over to keep you company, new house prevents this at present though. You'll meet loads of people on the day, so have fun!

Hollywood - Missed your TRI for some reason - great result!

What: Hilly 7 miles
    Why: Hilly race approaching
    Last Hard: Friday

Have a great day....
  • Options
    Havent read yet but shall later, did notice FAB....hope things improve very quickly for you.

What: gym inc rower, x trainer and stat bike.
    Why: no running till Sunday.

I am planning to go to the expo on Thurs night if Plummy agrees. So if anyone else is going maybe see you there.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Mol - wow - you are amazing. Hope your recovery goes well.

Sportaloo - good to see you back to your positive self!

Taperers - hang in there.

What: 90 mins easy bike
    Why: it's bike week
    Last hard: not sure
    Last rest: a week

Good runnings all.
  • Options
    Hi All,

Haven't managed to keep up with the thread over the weekend but will hopefully read back later.

MOL - amazing, really amazing.
    FAB - very sorry to hear about your calf. That's really bad luck.
    Hollywood -well done on the Tri
    Glad all the taperers are still with us.

Aimed to do some serious running over the w/e but it didn't work out that way, unfortunately. Did a really good tempo run on Thursday but when I tried an LSD on Saturday I just couldn't get going, I did a 3mile run/walk. I tried again on Sunday but after 2 miles I just ran out of get up and go. So I gave up.

So, this week my aim is to get some quality runs in again, starting with a 4-5 mile run tonight with some speedier bits if possible. I want to get fitter and quicker!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    SR, if it wasn't the week after London I'd consider it, but I think I might just be pushing it a little too much to attempt the 3 Peaks. I'm also doing South Downs Marathon 7 weeks later. Shame about your running partner!
  • Options
    Afternoon all.

MOL...that was a truely inspiring post..I think the thing we all like about running (whether we are 2.30 mara runners or 5.30) is that it takes a bit of grit and determination...which you have in buckets...to use the Glasgow vernacular "Gon yersel big man"!!

Rory...yes, join a club...it's proven to be good for you (Robert Putnam; Bowling Alone....social capital and all that)

Sportaloo...glad to hear that...now just keep your training steady....

nrg-b...hope you are right about your ankle...doing the right thing taking it easy...your body deserves a rest...especially before you embark on P&D 70m+ schedule....some very heavy weeks..

Minks...you will run well regardless of the technology....

I'm starting to get nervous about FLM...and I'm not even running...good luck all...

oh, and:

what: nowt and deep massage
    why: ran yesterday and trying to be sensible about calf...hopefully tonight sees the start of proper recovery...the good news from yesterday though, is that I can run at easy pace with no discomfort at all.. :-)
    last hard: Paris
    last rest: Sunday
  • Options
    Beanz52...there will be plenty of people still in the Thistle...drunk or otherwise!!
  • Options
    Afternoon All

What:19.1mile run; 2-2.5km swim
    Why: long run
    Last hard: sunday I suppose
    Last rest: march 5

Hope everybody is well - I haven't read back over the weekend threads as I'm a bit short of time. This week is a bumper week (next week is a down week). Planning on cycling about 190miles, running 40 miles, swimming about 8k, plus a couple of turbo sessions. Will do first 100m ride on Saturday (we did 90m on Sunday)

Sportaloo- glad to hear you are feeling better.

MOL - well done at Two Oceans - it sounds tough! I hope you are recovering well. Did you have the drip in the middle of the race?

Clink -I'm sorry to hear about your friend's dad.

Scar - how disappointing to be doing the race alone now. Is there a thread on Events? Might be worth seeing if anyone else is in the same position that you could team up with. Best of luck.

Hollywood - congrats on your tri.

nrg - good luck with your ankle, I hope you recover quickly. Don't forget, you can never have too much curry.

Stuart - nice pic. they've changed the way you do links (it isn't html anymore): (url="http:/blah.com")link(/url) but with [] brackets

FAB - I'm really sorry to hear about your calf. It doesn't sound good. Are my 3 marathons with two DNFs any consolation :) - one was practically a DNS.
  • Options
    run/walk d&d

Feeling a bit pathetic as struggled up a hill and was only going for 3 mins!!!! How sad is that? This has just got to be my head playing up as if i can go out and run 12 miles off the back of 9 weeks no running I'm sure as h$ll I can do a run/walk. How ridiculous! Very cross with myself! Achilles was fine so thats good. Out again on Thursday. Cycle tomorrow.
  • Options
    Afternoon folks.

MOL - truly inspiring! Well done!

FAB - sorry to hear about the calf. You'll make the right decision.

Fellow FLMers - hope the taper is treating you all well and that you're all as bored and lethargic as I am (I do mean it in a nice way...)

Nipped out at lunchtime for a pleasant wee jaunt - 3.75 miles in just over 27 mins. Still loads of this damn wind about...don't think it's ever going to leave us. Fingers crossed for Sunday.

Back to the boredom and monotony...

Have a good day.
  • Options
    Just discovered this daily thread thing. Lots of familiar faces!

Well done Hollywood on that tri!

MOL, I had goosebumps on my arms reading your report. Well done! Suffering from a chronic rheumatic degenerative condition of the spine I am with you when it comes to running and warding off depression/keeping the spirits up!

Nrg-b, rest and ice with that ankle for now!

Poppy, so pleased the homeopathy is having an effect! And well done on the 5k. Now keep taking it easy, even though the achilles feels better.

What: 7k recovery
    Why: tight left knee due to ITBS after Rotterdam marathon.
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: Rotterdam marathon 9 April
  • Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Scooby - Don't worry about it,you will be doing 10 milers in no ime.

Mol - Way too modest.

David F - erm...in that case I will keep quiet about my plans for Saturday.... :o)
  • Options
    FAB - that's rotten luck:-(

I'm disappointed I have to defer for the first time in 9 attempts. To have put in all that work on 4 occasions to have to pull out is gutting.