Tuesday 18th April 2006

Comments

• A'noon peeps

Easter hols are over and its back to the grind. I managed to get out and train as normal and now I'm feeling the benefits of regular training.

Each year I watch London and admire all you who're doing it and think 'Next Year I'd like to run that.....'

Hopefully next year I will !

All the best for the 'wind down' peeps and don't do anything stupid now.
  • FAB, really sorry about your calf. If it looked bruised it is probably quite bad, but I've treated muscle pulls with acupuncture and massage and had people running next day (myself included) - but need to find a therapist who has the confidence to be brutal enough! - where do you live ?

Mol - what determination; well done

ScarR - which day is 3 Peaks ? Its a race I've always wanted to do. But, no, (to myself) stop being silly, unlikely to be possible only a week after FLM... but if I'm feeling OK....

Podro, Beanz - someone, has started a special thread for FLM goals and nos.

re Garmins. I'm interested that the pace doesn't read steadily. It was one of my main complaints about my Timex GPS SDM, but I thought the Garmin got a stronger signal. But I think it must be the nature of the technology. As seeing my actual running pace is a key feature for me, I was disappointed. My Polar, however, is brilliant for that. There is a c 10 sec delay, but it is very obvious eg if I've crossed a road, or got to the top of a hill, but when I know I'm running steadily it measure very consistently.

What: just off for my afternoon snooze - 2hrs every afternoon over Easter - al la Paula
    Why: best form of recovering and tapering
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Hey Hanneke, Welcome! I was wondering when you'd join us with those ultra-cool shoes of yours ;-)

FAB: Very sorry to hear about the deferral. Finger crossed you recover quickly. Maybe you can target another marathon in the near future?

Stellina: RW supporters at Mudchute are well organised. I'll try to come by there to say hello.

DavidFagan: Parcelforce tried to deliver my P&D book, but where was I? Dragged out to the shops by my wife, d'oh.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    ((fab)), sorry to hear your news re calf
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    mol.totally amazed by that report!!
  • Any Londoners out there, how does this sound for an FLM spectating programme?

Start for 9am, then around 6 mile point by 9.40 (will I need to get a tube for this - if so which one)?

Then Tower Bridge at halfway by 10.20 ish

Then Mudchute for about 11am

Then somewhere around 22/ 23 miles for 11.30

Then be on Horseguards for shortly after 12 noon.

Or does anyone have a better plan? Is the above feasible?
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    sr sorry to hear about your training partner.
    wp - great news re achilles, pleased to hear that!
    lizzyb and stellina, good luck in your up and coming new jobs!

Am shattered today after a weekend of much walking a bit of running, much of the walking being uphill (snowdon included!) legs are so beaten up but I loved it!

what: club run later
    why: legs need it!
    last hard: snowdon on sunday
    last easy: ??

Must admit to feeling slightly cr@p about flm now, and I can;t spectate due to family get together for my mum's 75th (can't miss it though)

Never mind I can start training next week for 2007)))
  • Afternoon all,

Hanneke – welcome

MOL – very impressive. Recover well.

FAB – what a pain! Hope you manage to get back on the road soon.

Only managed to get out for 6 miles Sunday and Monday rather than the long runs I was hoping for. I had a few foot problems (bruises, blisters & cracked skin) which altered the way I was landing. Took it easy, with plenty of stretching (and rubbing strange potions into my feet) and seem to have got away with it. Felt better at lunchtime today, so will pick it up again.
    What: 6 miles done, another 6 later.
    Why: building up.

Have a good one
  • SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    FAB - That is just terrible,fingers crossed for you.

Hanneke - Welcome!
  • AF - I will watch out for you, I hope you run in your trademark shorts again. Expecting a PB!

BR - It will be very crowded in that area. Takes ages to move forward/backwards.
  • Fingers crossed for FAB!

Hello again, Hanneke! Just 10 days till LFOTM! {watch out everyone - she'll have your shirt off your back before you know it ;-)}

BR - think it's feasible but only just - the only way to do it for sure would be to get a piggy back from one of the speedy ladies. You might be able to do it more easily if you opt for canary wharf rather than mudchute - I think the Victoria line is pretty rapid (when the signals work) - but then you'd be missing some the mudchute fun! For the first hop (start to mile 6), I think you can walk easily enough (that's what I'm planning on) - although you might have a few runners get in the way occasionally.

Wabo - relax - you had a fun spring of XC and now you've got a year to target sub4 for FLM07 ;-)
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    FAB - sorry about the calf, I'm a bit the same, never actually managed to make the start line on any of the marathons I trained for, but to get injured so soon before the day must be gutting for you.

FLM spectating - what or where is mudchute ?

What - Hmmm, not sure, was going to do the bike club TT but having trouble walking since playing 5 a side on Sunday, I'll probably still give it a go, at least I should beat last weeks time and it's all good training I suppose.

Nearly spent £670 on a Giant (that's the make not the size) TT bike off ebay last night - decided it was an unnecessary extravagance at the last minute though - don't know whats come over me.
  • G'day
    What: 7m with 3.5 @ MP
    Why: Tapering

BR The ONLY way to get from the start to 6m mark in that time is to walk. From the blue start locate the easterly wall of Greenwich Park and walk down Maze Hill keeping the wall on your left. At the bottom of the hill you will magically reach the 6m mark. As long as you are doing all this before the main gun goes off you should be fine.

Getting to Tower Br from 6 miles by 10:20 probably is pushing it as you'll be dependent on train times. Not sure how frequent they'll be going back to London at that time. The way to do it is catch a train from Maze Hill BR to London Bridge BR then walk briskly from there. The train journey itself is around 15 mins assuming no delays.

The safer bet is to miss Tower Br and go straight to Mudchute on foot. You'll need to walk round the front of the Cutty Sark (ie. along riverside path) and go thro' the foot tunnel (dome building by the Cutty Sark). When you come out of the tunnel the other end, walk away from the river and you'll find the way easily enough if you look out for the roped off bits of the course.
  • BR
    Forgot to say, watch out for Karen H. I think she'll be watching the elite ladies start and going to 6m thereafter, plus she's local and knows the way.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    afternoon all

welcome Hanneke

commiserations FAB. I can't imagine how gutted you must feel.

I'll be at mudchute with support team 5 so if any of you runners remember give me a wave! I'll probably be at the start then make my way to mudchute from there. Hope to be in the Thistle at the end too.

• Thanks for the all the commiserations. Much appreciated. I've spent the day resigning myself to dropping out. Sadly I'd already defered from last year, so I can't defer again. I'll just have to run a qualifying time in the autumn.

<FAB goes off to check marathon calendar...>
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    relaxed holly, and well done on tri! wow!
    welcome hanneke!

Have lovely evenings all.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Cool, Stellina, will look out for the clown wig! I, however, will be less distinctive ...

Thanks for all the thoughts re. Garmins. I have the new 205 and I have to say, on the 4 runs I've now used it for, it has shown actual pace very accurately when the average lap pace is displayed - it showed, for example, average lap pace of 8:37 and the actual time for that particular mile turned out to be 8:38. So I'm less concerned with accuracy of pacing than with loss of signal - I won't be letting it measure the distance, I'd planned to do that manually. Still undecided - may use my Nike Triax which I've used for most of my races - pacing at faster speed tends to be more accurate than when I'm just plodding along, but at the end of the day I'll use a combination of whatever gadget I decide to go with plus time at each mile marker and time taken to get from one marker to the next, and adjust pace accordingly.

MOL, that was a brave and crazy effort: well done indeed! Onward and upward to Comrades!

Not feeling hugely nervous re. FLM (yet!) but I'm sure it'll happen over the next few days. It's quite surreal being off work this week - I feel strangely detached. And it doesn't help that I still haven't worked out how the hell I'm getting to the start! Was hoping to ask the local cabbie who drove me last year, but haven't seen him around for the past few days. If I have to use public transport I'll be looking at leaving home at about 6:30am!

Laters ...
  • Thank you for all your warm words of welcome!

Hollywood, are you running the LFOTM this month? If so, I can give you the shirt back then?

Was hoping to support those running FLM on Sunday, but alas, it coincides with one of my course weekends :-(
  • Welcome Hanneke

Sorry to hear news FAB

Well done to MOL

Anyone else think we need to be keeping a close eye on SR the way she is dispersing with running partners!!!

What: 50 mins very very gentle

Why: Raced yesterday and as race 3 in regional championships is already this Saturday, will take it easy throughout week with only some strides midweek to break out from gentle and short jogging. Avoid injury at all costs is approach.
  • Have decided to major on mugs of tea and fresh brewed coffee as the central part of my "deplete" diet.

I don't like being hungry.

At least I know that it's a temporary affair, and that I've not got an African summer to endure.

No run for me today. (Unless I can squeeze 3 or 4 miles out).

NRG-b, thanks for the inspiration. I shall put all thoughts of curry out of my mind for 24 hours.
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    hello all.

Just a quick post - getting kitchen done, starting today - have arrived home to find it empty and the roof in the corner appears to have fallen in.

No boiler, washing machine, cooker, sink....will be living out of the microwave strategically placed in the dining room for the next few days, and taking washing to mother's house!

Well done MOL - fantastic race.
    Very disappointed for FAB. Healing vibes...

What: 5 miles including 500m feast reps x 6. Not quite what schedule said, but near enough.

Now feeling absolutely exhausted and ready to sleep but far too early. Don't know why. Hopefully something to do with tapering.

Off to wash the dishes in the bathroom sink with hot water boiled from the kettle. Hmph.
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Er, fast reps not feast reps!
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    I reckon I gonna go to Mudchute for The RW FLM Party and then continue the celebrations at the Thistle later.

Blisters: Cool, no problem. Tonight's menu was going to be some home-made King Prawn Curry but guess which numpty forgot to defrost the prawns? So we'll have some spicy sheek kebabs in freshly cooked soft naan bread from my favourite takeaway place. I'll need lashings of belgium beer to make sure I've washed it down my throat properly ;-)

Well, today we played family tennis for 45 mins-ish lots of running but not a lot of hitting balls as we're all basically carp. The ankle was fine so I might go for test run tomorrow. Only for 15mins, run/walk if required.

• A quick call to the MD of the firm, and got a decent boost to the sponsorship. I've got to wear their colours though, so I've changed my image to show the vest.
  • Minks - what time you expect to be at Mudchute (mile 17)?
  • Well Hello Hanneke fancy seeing you here:-)

Sorry to hear your news Fisharebest:-(
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • 3+ miles round the football pitches after work

Lovely! :0)

Sorry I will not get a chance to rad back til later
  • MOL - fantastic stuff - agree with DF - bucketloads of grit and determination.

FAB - so sorry you will have another DNS - so much better than DNF - when I over-do it I usually get sick not injured so think I'll be alright and line up. Just think when your calf is better you'll have all those miles in the bank you'll probably run a blinder over a short distance.

Imski - good you could spend some time with your Grandpa.

Matt - if you want to do mile reps - I'd only do one - I always did a one mile time trial the Tuesday before a marathon - whatever I could do e.g. 5.40 - I'd know I'd run no faster than 6.40 miles in the marathon.

Scar Runner - don't think I'm as strong as you are and definitely know I wouldn't be any help if there was any orienteering involved or if I had to carry anything. Hope you can find another partner - do you have to run in pairs.

Sporta - got my fingers crossed for you - take it quietly - whatever you've got planned this weekend!

Holly - great result - top swimming - don't know how you string 3 events together.

nrg-b - be gentle on yourself till that ankle comes right - ankle flexibility is where it is at.

David Fagan - good luck with the recovery.

Melli - impressive training!

Clink - both my parents went like that - Mum playing housie (bingo) and Dad mowed the lawns the day before he died - good for them - nice to know that they didn't have to suffer.

Hi Hanneke.

All you guys are making me feel quite left out with all this flm talk - really wish I could be there to watch you all - really hope someone teams up with BR - don't want him to miss Hilly's finish!

Minks - really don't want you to miss the start like I did in my last marathon!

SiT - good to see you're hanging together.

Blisters - don't think you should get on the curry before your marathon!

What - just a gentle couple of miles with the dog.

Take it quietly now you flmers - just relax and think you're going to run relaxed, strong and fast!!