Horndon Feast & Fayre 10K

Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
I am thinking of doing this races as it is a club run. How big is the hill?

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Pretty big, and you get to go up it twice!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Its a lovely 10k though, must see if we can do it this year!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Agree with Wilkie - but great little run
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I need hill practice for Beachy Head. Plus this race is close to home.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Tracey

I have done this race twice in 1989 & 2004.

Is that the biggest gap between races or what.
    The hill is right at the start and at the finish but apart from that it is a nice course.

Plus its on the weekend on the villages feast and fayre (hence the name) with plenty of attractions incl pubs (or inns) so plenty to do.

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Pammie are you doing it this year?
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Not 100% sure. yet, most likely i will.

The following day is when i'm due to start marathon training
  • Do it, the hill is ok the first time 'cos it's near the start and we're all fresh as daisies (!!!!) and the second time round you only do half of it 'cos it's the finish line. It's good fun. Oh, and the pubs, or Inns to the posh!! are very welcoming!
  • Does anyone know if there are shower facilities afterwards ?

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Dean, it does not mention showers on their website, so I would say no. Not many races have showers anyway.
  • I didn't find the hill that much of a problem - the bugbear for me was the lack of kilometre markers and the 11am start. It was one of the hottest days of the summer the year I did it and the sun had had plenty of time to warm up nicely!!! Still, am thinking of doing it this year - if only to lay the ghost, so to speak!
  • I quite fancy this one as something a bit different. Pammie I'm doing Beachy too so like you say...time to make friends with hills!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    I haven't done this one for a couple of years, so time I did it again.

It was fun, and although it was very hot, people were outside their houses with hosepipes, offering a cool shower to runners. Probably be sent to prison for doing that this year, though!
  • Oh yes I remember the hosepipe!!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I did it the year of the hosepipes and planning to go back this year too.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • I am new to road running and tempted by this one as it is local (also can see the potential for convincing the husband with pubs etc!). 10K is my maximum distance at the moment, but I'm increasing by 1 mile per week. Am running 5Ks comfortably and shaved almost 3 mins off PB this week. I'm not too fussed about time, my 10K PB is 67:22 so I would come in with the last 20 or so. Just wondering if anyone could advise me on whether I have left enough time to train for this event and what kind of hill/distance/speed training I should do - so I don't come in last! I live in Southend so could do some hill work in prep.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Jane - I must book this race, as it is local to me to. I live in Dagenham, and it is my running clubs, Championship Race. After Sevenoaks Seven last Sunday, this should be easy.
  • you sound very experienced - do you think this one is for beginners, it would be my first race. I'm not around for the Southend 10K in October so would really like to do this one but wonder about time to train for it. I've only covered 10K once before.
  • Jane, it's not the easiest 10k there is (esp if it's a hot day) but you've got a month to train and if your aim is to get round rather than post a good time then I'd have thought it worth a go. You might find the lack of kilometre markers rather frustrating tho.
    Kaz
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Jane - I did my first 10k last May at Marwell Zoo, it was an undulating race and it took me 66mins. I did the same race again this year and did it in 61mins.

If I was you, I would go for it, I find that you run faster in races anyway. You
    never know you could knock 5 mins or more off next year just like me. Last year hills were very hard work, they still are but not half as bad.

Lets hope I am better at them come October and Beachy Head marathon.
  • Kazzah & Tracey,

Thanx for words of encouragement. Need the psychological boost at the moment. I've entered the Horndon race and also Canvey Island Rotary 10K in September. Am currently devising gruelling schedule - including no booze and lots of speed/hill training (uh oh!). I know I can complete the course. I am also asthmatic and have always had a problem with breath management (feel that 2/2 rhythm is my downfall). Tracey, glad you mentioned finishing in 66 mins - makes me feel a bit better as this is realistic for me. Aiming for half marathon next year and who knows ... FLM here we come??
  • Go for it Jane, you can do it! A good, varied training schedule does wonders. After a break of a few years I've only recently got back into my running seriously. Thanks to my trainer (who came first in his age category in the FLM so should know his stuff!) devised a tough schedule for me for tomorrow's Baddow 10. It was hard work at times but my fears of the hills are a thing of the past. I'm well-trained and ready for it. Just hope it's not too windy - the only weather condition I truly hate!!
  • Not such a nice day for the Baddow 10 today but I guess kept nice & cool! Hope it went well. Thanks for the tips & encouragement - will let you know how the training goes.
  • Well I've been drier!! Nice cooling drizzle at the start but by the last three miles it was torrential. Still it's a good course - the hills were nowhere near as bad as I'd thought and time was ok.

Hope the training goes well. Maybe see you at Horndon.
  • JANE;just make sure your gruelling schedule is not too gruelling.you can actually overtrain and come race day you feel shattered.having run this for the last 5 years(only 10 mins drive from my front door)i can say this is a good little run,although you do get a few club runners i know a lot of people who have run this for the first time and come back the next year.its not organised by a running club but if you run it for a challenge and for fun you will enjoy it.the high street has pubs for dad and stalls for the kids,so really a fun day for the family.
  • Schedule hasn't been as gruelling as originally intended - thanks to a stinker of a cold. Am back to the short distances now and will find out at the weekend if I'm still capable of a 10K! With iffy lungs at the best of times its funny how a cold can knock you right off track. Doing well on the no booze mission though! Thanks for the tip off.
  • I'm also doing this one (reasonably local as I live in Rayleigh). Not done it before but will treat it as a 'just get round' as it's the first race I've entered in at least 18 years!

Doing 4 miles without problems in training but I think this course will be more of a challenge (especially if it's hot).

The hosepipes sound wonderful - damn that ban.

<b>Jane</b> - hope the cold clears up.

<b>Everyone</b> hope you all have a great race ;-)
  • i forgot about this thread,seems like everyone else has too.
    what sort of times are you lot looking to do.i'm hoping for around 46 to 47 mins.

jack large good luck with your first run,dont get caught up in the race at the start just try to enjoy the run and if possible try to have a chat on the way round it'll take your mind of the run.
  • Won't be doing Horndon now as I'm concentrating on doing 5ks and trying to get my times down.

Jack, like Paul says take it easy at the start and keep something in reserve for the last few k's esp if it's hot. And don't think about that hill!!!! ;o)

Have fun all.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    The forecast is for 21c and sunny spells, so shouldn't be too bad.

Good luck everyone.