Madrid on Sunday - Advice needed!!

Running the Madrid Marathon this Sunday (30th) and need three pieces of advice/help!

1) Training has been pretty much fine up until a week ago - did 21.5 miles in 2 hours 35 mins two weeks before race-day, but now I have a stinking cold! I've not been out at all since last Wednesday (when I did an easy 6 miles). Should I look to get out this week regardless of how well I feel? I don't normally take anything for heavy colds, but I'm tempted to drug myself up (legally of course!)

2) The temperature is due to be 25-26 degrees. My previous Marathons have not been in temperatures close to this. Any suggestions to help cope with the higher temperature?

3) Do Marathons on the continent have mile markers? I'm guessing it's all in KMs. Is that right??

Any thoughts/comments......

Comments

• James,

I was in a similar position for Paris a fortnight ago and tried to keep running and wasn't really recovered for marathon. I'd recommend doing whatever it takes to get healthy - you can't get any fitter, only make yourself sicker.

Regarding heat, I knwo there's stuff on the Big Marathon index.

And Paris had mile markers which surprised me, if that's any help!
  • JJ,

Are you speaking from personal experience when you say markers "not necessarily every kilometre"? I live in Barcelona and every single 10k, Half mara or Marathon I have done here in the last 2 years has been marked every km. Doesn't mean I saw them all though, but every km is the norm.

Madrid Marathon is well established, I've never done it but I'm sure every kilometre will be clearly marked. In the Barcelona marathon last month they also had mile markers for the 5 mile, 10, 15 and 20 mile points and I wouldn't be surprised if that is something they do in other big races on "the continent".

James, as the others have said, don't worry at all about not training anymore till race day. All the work is done and these last two weeks are just about resting and fuelling up. Much better to have got a cold a week ago then to get one this Wednesday. Eat well, rest well and get rid of it as much as you can.

If come the weekend all you have is the remains of your head cold, then go for it, although you might have to lower your (goal time) expectations a little. However, if it gets worse and you get signs of a fever, bad cough, aching joints, then the orthodoxy is that you shouldn't run, you could be taking a serious risk.

Best of luck! They say the Madrid crowd support is great!