Garmin Forerunner 305 problems anyone else ?

Comments

• Don't worry - worked it out!
  • Snaps thanks.

Probably phrased the question wrong....I've now got it importing only the stuff I want it to...hurrah!

All seems to be working well at the momment.....will see how it goes.

• KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭
    Update on the Garmin troubles I'm having.

Got onto Garmin UK who said they will honour any warranty, provided they get an official authorised dealer sales receipt. The guy I bought it off on eBay, is an authorised dealer and is sending me a receipt.

Apparently as it is a sealed unit, Garmin do not repair the GPS, they just replace it. So you could have a case where you've had it a year, just out of warranty and the battery goes. They will charge you £65 and give you a replacement unit. Not sure if this is a good thing or bad. If they will give you a gaurantee with the replacement it's not bad I suppose.
  • Halfway through a run last night mine stopped reading the distance correctly then 2 mins later started again.

Have Garmin made any official statement about all these problems?
  • I had cause to call Garmin yesterday about my broken FR 305 that they are reparing. I took the opportunity to ask when we should expect the next firmware release for the 305. I was surprised when the guy said that there are none in the pipeline as there are no outstanding issueswith the 305. I found this to be a bit of a surprise, and mentioned to him the problems with calorie calculations, GPS signal re-acquisition, HR alerts that only beep for a few seconds, and contacts that accumulate a black deposit. He said he (and Garmin) were unaware of any of these issues!

I've followed this up with an email to Garmin to formally raise these issues (again). If any of you are concerned about these, or any other outstanding issues with the x05 Forerunners, I suggest that you bring them to Garmin's attention and request notification of how they will be addressed, even if you have already done so.
  • NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    Fishyweb - I called Garmin earlier in the week to get an RMA no. for my FR, and the support guy "hadn't heard" of any of the issues I raised either.

I didn't believe him, but can understand why Garmin might be keen to avoid publicly acknowledging faults. To their credit, Garmin have been replacing faulty Forerunners promptly, but it would be reassuring to hear that they are adopting a longer term strategy to deal with the problems that we're getting.
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Well, a brand new replacement was finally delivered this morning. Yes, the unit was in warranty as I'd only had it since late March. Surely, any 305s are in warranty as they're so new? I rang the Garmin UK people, go the RM number and sent it in. There was no question of having to provide a receipt or anything. Mine was bought through Sweatshop online as a present.... so two things to make it potentially tricky! I would say Garmin were very helpful throughout, my problems were with them using a courier who doesn't have very customer-friendly delivery times!

<Wishes the bliddy thing would charge more quickly>

And now I have a second set of all the accessories!
  • KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭
    Womble - Sent mine off this morning with copy of the receipt and covering letter. (not sure what you mean by the 'RM' number. Please explain)

Couple of questions for you. How long from sending yours off did delivery take? & Did they ever give a reason for your fault?

I've had no problems with the people at Garmin, answered all my questions and offered advice. My only gripe is the amount of time it takes them to answer the phone. I think they've only got one guy on the help desk.

Ayway fingers crossed for the next week or so.
  • Not had a single problem with mine. No doubt this means it will break down big time now!
  • How long does the battery last in the chest strap, in general? Mine seems to have run down after 2 months, around 5 hours per week.
    If it is not the battery then the HR monitor is broken too.

I'm gonna write to Garmin!!!
  • KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭
    Begining to wish I'd got a cheap 301 now. Not heard anyone having any major problems with that model.
  • Hi, is anyone else having problems with recorded ascent and descent when its uploaded into training centre? Im getting very high readings i.e. 1700ft of ascent for a run thats 680ft. Or is this normal that the readings should be out? It is very different when uploaded into sporttarcks though, nearer the 600ft mark.

cheers
  • Egor, I think Training Centre is really cruddy in this respect. They provide an option to smooth the graph data (i.e. they acknowledge that the data needs smoothing), but this does not seem to affect the raw Totals data. Seems a bit daft to me!
  • HI 305 GREAT JUST CANT GET MINE TO LOAD ON COMPUTER ALL THAT MONEY AND CANT USE TO POTENTIAL TOTALLY P ***ED OFF
  • Hello fellow runners
    I have had my 305 for 3 months and find it very helpful in my running.However now I have been experiencing downloading problems.
    I noticed 'tarnishing (blackening)on the gold coloured contacton the back of the 305'
    I cleaned the contact using an ink rubber and email Garmin support- who informed me to wear Sweat band!- If this is the case
    why do they not supply them!
    Anyone else had this problem?
  • hi terry had my 305 2 months and not been able to dowload any runs have been in contact with held desk via e mail no luck been on phone 45 mis and still holding wish i had kept 201 sweat band seems a bit off
  • thanks terry didnt notice black marks untill you mentioned it. cleaned mine with pencil rubber cleaned great but still not working !!!!
  • I invested in the 305 about 2 months ago.this has got to be the worst piece of kit that I have purchased.After a couple of weeks the contacts were turning black.I emailed Garmin to find out what the problem is.No reply from Garmin.I went to Edinburgh for the marathon last month and Garmin had a stand at the expo.I asked the same question and they gave me the telephone number.I ran the marathon bearing in mind that the forerunner was fully charged before the race, at half way approx 90 mins I glanced at the 305 and it was telling me that the battery is low.You are supposed to get 10 hours not 2.I spoke to Garmin a week later and they told me to send it back.A week later I spoke to them again and they told me that it would be dispatched to me the next day.that was 2 weeks ago and I still have'nt recieved it.I have spoken to Garmin and they said they would try and trace it up and contact me but they have'nt.It is if that they can't be bothered.I have got doubts whether I will see my 305 again.I certainly won't buy another garmin product again because I think there customer services is disgusting.They will keep you on hold for an hour while you are trying to get hold of them
  • Dear Runners -What Garmin said-
    Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

To stop the tarnishing it is advised that you use the strap extender and
    wear it over a wrist sweatband. this stops the tarnishing and a lot of
    people find that it makes the forerunner far more comfortable to wear.

In order to remove the tarnishing, a pencil eraser can be used, and this
    should quite quickly remove the tarnish from the contacts.

Hope this is of help.

Regards,

Samuel Taylor

• Hi peeps, I've had my 305 for a couple of weeks now and have been disappointed several times:
    1. Not being able to charge it up from mains - but it will charge when USB connected to my PC.
    2. Not being able to locate satellites every time I need to set off. I am patient. But heck - how patient do you have to be? I have noted that it was mentioned that it is best that the 305 is fully charged up for it to be more successful. (not so good if you are doing several sessions over a day).
    3. I would like my clock view to tell me the day and date - just like a typical watch - however it will only show me the time of day.
    4. I dont wear sweat bands - so what is all this bol@#x about. My 305 has very quickly got one tarnished connector at the rear face and I'm annoyed that this should be so - its a damn design fault isnt it?
  • My 305 decided to pack in so I sent it back to Sweatshop who were very efficient in sending out a new device. But when I loaded the details of my first run with this second device onto the computer, it wouldnt add them to my previous 'history' but created a new user. Has anyone solved this problem?
  • NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    scruffymonkey: I've not solved that problem, but have shared your experience. The Training Centre software assumes a second (or my case, third) device must belong to a different user. I couldn't find a way around this.

In a way, it's quite useful. It's possible to build up some data about how long these devices last.

Garmin no. 1: 57 hours
    Garmin no. 2: 15 hours
    Garmin no. 3: 4 hours and counting....

All my runs are subsequently logged in SportTracks which doesn't care which particular 305 the data originates from (apart from being better software in all other areas).
  • what's the story with sportstracks. Is it subscription based?
  • NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    SportTracks is free!

...but the author does ask that you consider making a donation if it's useful.
  • fab! will give it a go. will data in Garmin training centre be unaffected? can I copy it across to sportstrack??
  • NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    TC data is unaffected. I usually import data from the 305 direct into SportTracks, but it seems you can also use an export file created from TC.

I'd suggest having an initial play with some (recent) data imported directly from the 305. If you like what you see, then you can transfer older files from TC.

The following is taken from the SportTracks tutorial page:

Import activities

If you have prepared data for import prior to installing SportTracks you can import the data now. You may want to start by only importing a few activities to get the feel for the software, then import your entire logbook history later. Once you have imported your existing history you can import future workouts directly from the GPS device.

SportTracks supports a variety of formats to import your data from:

Training Center .hst export file
    Timex Trainer database file (.mdb)
    Comma separated values file (.csv)
    Polar heart-rate file (.hrm)
    GPS eXchange file (.gpx)
    RunLog 5.0 file (.rli)
    Direct device import from Garmin GPS & Timex Trainer
  • Glad to see Garmin are using MY SUGGESTION regarding using the longer strap and wear it over a wrist band. I have been using mine this way since I got it in early April as I realised the problem as soon as I saw the contacts and I was the first to point this out in this forum Nice of them to acknowledge the help - NOT!! Mine is still performing fairly well but is extremely slow at detecting satellites. Last night it took over 5 minutes and lost the signal as soon as I rode under some trees. I thought my old Timex was slow until I got this. My Garmin GPSMAP 60 takes less than half the time! Seems to be worse on very hot days. Anybody got a screen going black on hot sunny days? Other than that it gives accurate distance and speed records.
  • NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    Woody: It's poor consolation, but you can have a thanks from me for the suggestion anyway.

I've been using a sweatband with my 3rd Garmin from the day I received it (now over 10 hours usage without a hitch). I'm still far from convinced that it will last for another 12 months, but am prepared to give any sensible suggestion a go.

(incidentally, I must have wrists like a girl - I don't need to use the extender, even with a thick towelling sweatband...)
  • I use a folded over length of tubi-grip under my Garmin since I have a small wrist and I dont like the device sliding around when I get sweaty. It didnt stop my first device dying on me - and my 2nd device stopped recording mileage/ pace during a long (and very hot) run on Sunday but rejuvenated itself en route.
  • NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    Thanks scuffymonkey! Just as I was in danger of being positive about my current 305's life expectancy....

Isn't tubi-grip quite thin material? Maybe it isn't quite as effective at stopping sweat getting to the terminals? (clutching at straws, perhaps..)

Incidentally, my two failures occured on long, hot runs (Garburn Trail race, and an 18 mile training run).