Garmin Forerunner 305 problems anyone else ?

Comments

• Anyone know when the 306 comes out....!?
  • Well, my second 305 has just died. It simply refuses to lock on to satellites so I'm sending it back AGAIN!
    I am getting a little peed off with it now...
  • Still not happy! cleaning contacts weekly -tape seems a good idea - anyone tried?
    Do any runners have big wrists?
  • KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭
    *****Latest Garmin Troubles Update*****

Came home from work yesterday to a package containing my replacement 305. Posted it off on the 1st, so it took them 2 1/2 weeks to say it's knackered and here's a new one. I wouldn't mind but they recieved it on the 3rd and it took them 1 1/2 weeks before they looked at it.

I've made a couple of phone calls in that time (trying to get to speak to someone is a nightmare) and had no communication from them whatsoever.

Not very impressed with this company and I'm hoping that I dont have to go through this again. Oh and the replacement unit already has a discoloured contact.

On the positive side at least they honoured my warranty. Bought on eBay from the US albeit from an authorised US dealer and he provided a proper reciept.
  • Hey there - brand new garmin yesterday. No problem with it on run but cant download to training centre, just get message saying pc cant communicate with my device and to check my device is plugged in. However, garmin itself says transfer successful. Any ideas anyone HELP?
  • I had several probs when I first got mine and eventually realised that it only communicates through just one of my USB ports for the download. The software seems to have localised itself to that particular port. Also the back of the device needs to have the electrodes cleaned on every occasion. Someone suggested using an eraser and it was good advice. For some reason the rubber actually removes the dried on gunk.
  • As I mentioned in another thread on here I have used a small amount of electrical tape to temporarily protect the contacts on the back of the dvice during a run. So far this approach seems to be working quite well. However, I do also suspect that the USB driver for teh device in Windows may be a bit dodgy because it is a little erratic. I use SportTracks too which I think may use the same driver and this too seems to behave erratically at times..
    That being said, I can connect to the device with much less trouble since using the tape...
  • hi have had problem downloading its a major problem for garmin as when you phone and select a no download problems have own no suggest you phone and they will run through it with you .phone 08082380000 as its free phone and takes ages ,my 305 returned to garmin couldnt even switch it on really disappointed
  • Surprised at how many get probs with 305. Had mine since March and suffered no problems. Still hanging on to my 201 (which also never let me down) just in case summat now goes wrong :-)
  • Impey - why are you posting here, then? :-)
  • congratulations garmin sent me replacement watch in 9 days although not happy first one broke after 130 miles BUT cant download workouts on this one either
  • I am debating whether to get a Garmin 205 or a 305 and so thought i would have a look at what was going on here. Are the main problems with the chest strap and would i be better off with a 205? Any input would be appreciated.
  • I won one of these in a RW competition last month. Started using it on 5th August, have done about half a dozen training runs (just enough to require it to be re-charged), recharged it and now it won't turn on unless connected to the mains charger - really useful. Garmin Customer Service is ABJECT to say the least. Anyone who has forked out nearly £300 for one of these has my deepest sympathy. At the minute my opinion of both the unit and the company is about as low as it could be.
  • I would have thought that it would be far cheaper for Garmin to actually look at the problems with the unit than deal with the large number of returns that seem to be happening. Surely this must be costing them quite a bit to check units out, send new ones out etc........
  • My third one has just conked out. I've had enough this time, going to get my money back...
  • RMcDRMcD ✭✭✭
    Bought 305 in March and it worked fine until three days ago. Was about to start a run, but for no reason that I could see the 305 wouldn't switch on. Will only do so now through the charger so have returned it.
    When it works, I like it - lets you know when you're running too slowly more effectively than an ordinary runner's watch and I found distance guage was very accurate. Now at the mercy of customer service so full of trepidation.
  • Bought 305 3 weeks ago and works fine. I have been wearing it over a sweat band which seems to work. I did wear it without the sweat band for one run (45 mins) and noticed a black tarnish - and panicked. Next time I ran with a sweat band and the tarnish had disappeared by the end of the run. The manual does say not to charge it, or connect to pc if there is any moisture on the watch - I would guess this could contribute to any shorting/tarnishing. I am making sure I dry it immediately after use. Overall - great piece of kit.
  • Forgot to mention - have had a couple of instances where it took ages to lock onto a satellite - I think on both occassions it happened when I switched the unit on inside. Latest today, in true IT helpdesk style, I switched it off and on after waiting at least 5 mins to get a satellite fix and it picked up within a minute. I think also there are also GPS system issues as on some days I can also get problems fixing satellites with TomTom sat nav.
  • I'm a bit new to all this GPS stuff. Was just about to buy either a 205 or 305. Having second thoughts now after reading everyone's comments. Is it worth looking at the older models or did they have problems too?
  • Andy Sher,
    Have had a 201 for coming on 3 years, have had no problems with it other than losing the signal on numerous runs and taking an age to find a signal in the first place.
    Have read numerous threads on the problems, mostly with 305 so with that in mind and the fact that I use my polar for heartrates I have just bought the 205 model so will let you know how it goes.
  • Cheers Roger

Look forward to hearing how you get on. Still deciding if I should go for one with or without HRM. Did the Bristol half at the weekend and I think I set out too quickly. A HRM would have put me straight I guess.
  • hey does anyone know where I can buy a bike mount for my 305? I can only seem to track down a mount for the 301 which doesnt fit at all. Cheers
  • Ran Windsor 1/2M yesterday and after about 5 miles my 305 went haywire, looping through all of the display screens and beeping constantly. I suspect that it may have something to do with the contacts on the back of the device being short circuited by my sweat - it was quite warm after all. Anyway, by the time I finished the race it appeared to have settled down and I switched it off. Today, I have just tried to switch it on to download my race data to my PC and the thing will just not power on! I have tried holding the Mode & Reset/Lap buttons at the same time, and also Mode & Reset/Lap & Power buttons together, but all to no avail. Anyone got any ideas?
  • Adam. I'm thinking of investing in a garmin 205, just to help me log the miles I'm doing, is this a good idea. Comments please
  • Hi Adam. I've just bought a 205 based on the fact that most of the problems I've read about seem to be with the 305. Used mine for the first time yesterday without a hitch. I bought it because I was running the same circuits day after day because I knew the distances. This was becoming pretty boring. Now I can run anywhere I like. Knowing the pace I'm running also helps me keep up to speed and not be lazy. If you think you'll keep up with the running, I definitely recommend a GPS watch. Does anyone know of any 205s having contact problems? Cheers
  • Thanks Andy,
    I think the 205 is the way to go, I have seen other GPS watches but they all have a pod which you wear on your upper arm. All I need now if the money to get one, I think I have left enough web sit print outs of the 205 for my wife to find, but I may have to hold out till christmas.
  • Adam, I agree with Andy re the 205. it's the main reason I bought mine aswell. If your interested heartratemonitors.co.uk priced matched mine down to £174 inc of P&P.
  • Hi Folks. I agree with Andy - the 205 is good. I have one and have had no problems with it - it actually makes me want to go out more!! I got mine on line at
    www.gps4less.co.uk - i got next day delivery and had it before 9am!
  • got my 205 on order from joe jogg, but the wife has hand over the cash and is saying I it's a christmas present and I need to wait till the 25th dec before I can use it!
  • RMcDRMcD ✭✭✭
    Now have replacement for seized up Forerunner 305 so good marks to Sweatshop who replaced it straight away. Trying Ian McMillan's tip about running with 305 over a wrist sweatband - certainly makes it more comfortable. However, contacts at back of watch still get damp (only sweatband I could find was Nike one in JJB sports and it was wet on both sides when I returned from run and no it wasn't raining). Does this mean you need to put tape on contacts as well as wearing the 305 over a sweatband - this is so much a design fault and Garmin should be doing more about it.