Garmin Forerunner 305 problems anyone else ?

Comments

• Has anyone tried the firmware upgrades? My forerunner would sometimes stop working after running more than a hour, looking at the upgrades website it mentions a GPS fix for multi-hour activities.
  • Someone mentioned SportTrack software a couple of pages ago, as being better for maps than Garmin. Not difficult, I'll grant.

I've downloaded the SportTrack client, but when I try to import data from the Forerunner, it says it does not recognise the file type. Yet there is no option to alter or set any configuration options.

So does anyone know how to import data from the GPS device into SportTrack ?

• SportTrack importing data:

Eddie, I found that if I tried to import the data direct into SportTracks prior to importing it into the Garmin TrashWare then I got the same problem.

Solution: import it into the GTW first of all ....I'm afraid that you have to install the software....and leave it there; if you delete the GTW, it will not recognise the file type again.

So THEN import it into ST and hey presto success..

See what happens..

• Have found a problem with charging my 305. Despite putting it on charge for sometime it is showing low battery. I suspect thebattery within the Garmin has had it. Has anybody else had the same problem? Are Garmin good at replacing them even if the unit is out of warranty.
  • What's the battery life like in the 305 ? Thinking of getting one for Ironman training/racing, but at 13+ hours around an IM I'm worried about the 10 hour battery life on the spec sheet.
  • Kanga

I use it for halfs so I have not tested teh 10 hour limit. 

• Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭

HELP

I have had a 305 for a couple of years but recently got a replacement. Deleting the old 4.0 programme and rebooting with the new 5.01 I can't receive data from the watch. The watch makes the right noise and shows "transfer complete" but the PC screen says "communication problem".

I have tried deleting a reloading the new programme several times even trying updates from Garmin unsuccessfully getting "Invalid command line parameter (restart)

Device works fine, I just can't get data on the PC screen

• Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭

PS

Red Lion Sports replaced my 305 after an unsuccessful attempt to hurdle a dog, resulting in a cracked face (me and the 305) as "fair wear and tear"

• Does anyone have problems with HRM?

Mine after 3 miles losines beats and I think it is connected to strap too big did ask if they did a SMALLER STRAP WAS TOLD TO TIE A KNOT IN IT!!!!

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Are any of the problems with the 305 getting ironed out by Garmin? I was on the verge of buying one, but this thread has put me right off.

Incidentally, the best price at the moment is from Amazon - £140-ish

• I bought mine about five months ago. Worked very well until today - I can't switch it on despite a full battery recharge. Anyone had the same problem?
  • Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭

Karo - try restart (press mode and reset/lap similtaneously)

Apart from the PC link up problem, the 305 works extremely well even in woods or among high sided buildings.Also has proved very useful for monitoring my  real,as opposed to imagined progress. In particular running against yourself "virtual partner" is particularly useful as is running around a virtual map

Still strongly recommended

• OOK! - that's done the trick - many thanks for that as I'd given up on it.
  • Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭

You're welcome

Owners Manual page 6,last line.

I can't be smug, I didn't  know either  until someone told me

After 18 months, I'm still finding things it can do

• OOK

It is a fantastic piece of kit.

I've found that it can do a 3 hour marathon, although the sad fact is that I can't.

What has recently annoyed me is that I'll set up for a "quick workout" marathon on distance and time, all nice and early. Turn off, go to bed, turn it on, and it starts as a boring 305 again, and forgets that I'm in a race situation. Pah, doesn't the thing have mind reading capability as well as eveything else? Pah.

RTFM I suppose.

BTW : does Spoortttracks record teh splits that teh Garmin holds?

• Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭

Sorry,don't know

The accuracy of the map is phenomenal - I can see where I have run back home on the other side of the road or even side stepped  through a kissing gate

The virtual partner is seriously weird : I can't help myself looking over my shoulder when the gizmo occasionally says I'm ahead

And I've never lost a satellite (yet)

• The unit is great.

Garmin Traininf Centre software does not seem to be so great.

I have been trying SportTrack software but the heart rate graph does not import.

No reply to my post on their forum might post as a bug.

http://sporttracks.zonefivesoftware.com/Discussion/viewtopic.php?t=2293

I have also noticed auto pause while I am running.

It is set to auto pause when stopped so should be fine.

Initially was impressed to notice it kicked in at traffic lights.
    Satellite lock seems OK so why it should think I have stopped I dont know.

http://www.mapperley.com/support-garmin/Auto-Pause-001.jpg

Software Version ect here

http://www.mapperley.com/support-garmin/About-Garmin-01.jpg

Cheers Chris 

• Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭

CJ53

Have you checked the zone?

The lower limit might be too high, so cuts in when you're still running

• If you mean the zone for auto pause - it is set to "when stopped" as shown in the screen grab above. So I am assuming it will need me to stop.

I assume it also wait until it is sure the wearer has stopped.

Not sure if these auto pause auto resumes are actually dropping time or not?

Short of starting another stop watch each time I am stopped at traffic lights etc!

Cheers Chris 

• Has anyone had a problem with LOSS OF SOUND???

Mine is generally great BUT i can hardly hear the alarms for distance etc.

Any advice/comments would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

RM  

• Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    Thank good - I thought it was just me and my senility
  • Anyone having problems with satellite acquisition?

I don't really know how long the unit should search for satellites, but mine seems to take a good couple of minutes each time.  Tried it in a number of different areas so I don't think it is poor location (buildings or trees).

Once located, the unit works great though!

Still not worked out how (or whether) to upload maps.

Has anyone exhaustively tested battery life?  I'm looking to use mine on the Round Rotherham 50, and will be hopefully coming in around the 8-9 hrs mark (please don't check back and gloat in a few weeks when I've miserably failed this).

As the published battery life is 10 hrs, I'm "pushing the design envelope" a little...

• OOK! you are a hero!

that reset trick has got my 305 back up and running again - never was one for reading the destructions! guess that will teach me - was just about to complain to Garmin!

Is anyone having a problem with "over charging" it seems ok as long as i dont leave it on to charge for too long - if i get to the "Charge Complete" message then when i turn it on I get the "Low Battery" warning

But if i take it off charge before the charge is complete then it seems to be charged up ok - its as if when it is over charged, it shorts out or something and loses all the battery charge...very annoying!

Im charging it off the mains using the supplied plug and cradle

• Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭

I still haven't got my PC to accept data from the watch despite zillions of deletes and reinstalls, resets and system restores.

Messages like registry error and problems communicating with your gps or gps not connected despite the gps showing transfer  complete and beeping appropriately

But the important bits; routes, speed, distance hrm etc are all working

Ex pat Scot - do you switch it on and leave it stationary? It doesn't like moving  around before it has locked on. I leave mine by a window or put it even outside for a while, speeds up the process, 60 secs is about usual.

Have a suitably drunken Hogmaney

• I had the same problem , turned out I had updated my Garmin ,but not the training centre on my PC . Once I had updated my training centre I no longer got the ''problems communicating with your gps''

• I've updated both and still get the message. I've given up and I am using motionBased website now and have downloaded a free programme called sporttracks-its a little fiddly but you can get all the same info and graphs. Also you can export straight to Google earth.
  • will look up that software , thanks for the tip . Yesterday for some reason my garmin deleted my run before I could download it , if anyone has any idea why I would love to hear it . I love my garmin ,but why did they not put a light on it , running in the dark and rain and trying to pear at it is not easy image
  • You do know that a quick tap of the power button activates the backlight?  And you can set this to light up for anything from about five seconds to permanently.

As for Sporttracks, I agree it's the business. 

• Thanks a ton moscowflyer ...... I feel a bit of an idiot now as I have had my garmin for nearly a year and did not know that !!!  image I  am going to give it a go tomorrow when I go out in the dark