Garmin Forerunner 305 problems anyone else ?

Comments

• I downloaded Sporttracks and can't see why it's any better than Training Centre. I haven't worked out how to get the graphs view yet either image

I'm off to find a tutorial in case there's something I'm missing with this software. 

• I have found the ( not very good ) graphs now and a Tutorial. It still doesn't look as easy to use as TC but I will perservere for a few weeks before I abandon it.
  • Yeah but Muzz the point is that it works-if my 3o5 and TC worked together I would be using it... the graphs aren't great you're right but for a shareware program I thought it was pretty good. Motion based is good too but its the waiting time between screens and for uploading your data that spoils it...
  • You should get way more out of SportsTracks - maps with detail for a start - it is not the easiest thing to get started with but it is free and is (assuming you can get it going way better than TC.

Cheers Chris 

• Yes the maps are very good, its good fun exporting straight to google earth too. Managed to find more graphs as well as the clunky bar charts.
  • Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭

Janie T

I have the same problem now lasting for more than six months so I have given up in the PC data display - I don't really need it do I?

Motion based works for me but it is so slow and fiddly - logging on everytime

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=117195&last=1&V=6&SP=

just down the page, this thread has the solution, I followed MandM and christine's instructions and my 305 now works perfectly with the garmin TC software
  • As a matter of interest does motion based have a cost - I just got so frustrated with the TC database failing to save - now at least with TC you can  export an indiviual activity.

SportsTracks is an acquired taste - has lots of techy quirks and features - but as it is donation based therefore timescales are long.

Having said that Gamin are not short of cash and I think only fixed TC to guard against MAC threat abd the likes of SportsTracks. Afterall new users would not look for anthing else if it worked and might even think hey i will buy Garmins maps - but as Google Earth / Maps are so widely used and Sat Nav in cars has tons of data I dont think the charge for maps model will be very strong especially in future.

Just my 2 cents

Chris 

Forgot to mention the OPEN arcitecture means anyone can write plugins. Export your route to your website. Match photos to your GPS route etc and pretty much anything you can think - might not be possible or might take a while - recording the gear on the bike was one request to the pluin authors not sure that one ever got off the drawing board though!

• Ah the maps. I don't use the ST or TC maps. I am fortunate enough to have Memory Map so view / make courses on it instead. Off to look for a Heart rate zone and pace against distance graph in ST now...
  • Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭

Mr Puffy

Thanks - downloaded Sports Tracks and it was working within an hour (had to upgrade .NET) I have yet to test the Garmin data upload

• Used my 305 for its first long run this afternoon. 14.2 miles in 1.50. When I took it off it was a bit damp on the back so made sure it was dried.

Question................. How many satalites are there up there that the Garmins lock onto? There was a purple splodge on the route on the TC site and I guessed that may have been the Satalite postion?

• Had my Garmin for Christmas & it kept switching off on my run, which was very irritating. So Garmin advised me to update it & do a master re-set. But went on a long run yesterday & it was worse than ever. Just hope when I send it back it they send a replacement out sharpish!!!

• I have just tried to download a training schedule to my garmin 305 but it is not appearing in my calendar does anyone know the solutiion to this?
  • <a href="http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/localiser/member.asp?sp=&v=1&MemNo=117777" title="Visit M Diddy member profile">M Diddy</a> up to 12 satellites.

Should not showup on the map though.

Chris

• Hi Diddy-The purple splodge links to your position on the graph. There is a dotted vertical line on the graph with a little box that shows the distance at that point-you can drag it along the graph and the dot on your route moves along with it, so you can get pace HR elevation or whatever for an exact point on the run.
    Satellites- if you press "navigation" and then the down button, then "satellites" you can see how many satellites you are locked on to. All this was just Science Fiction when I was a kid!!

Does anyone know how to improve on those primitive garmin maps?

OOK! Yes I had to update.NET too-forgot to mention that-was quite tricky.

The more i use Sport Track the more I like it. Its just not very intuitive. Learned today how to put Pace, speed HR and elevation onto one graph, so I can't see where TC is better; for me the maps really let it down...
  • Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭

RP2

I had an accident with my original Garmin 305 which was working well. It was kindly replaced HOWEVER the new set came with the updated 5.01 programme and that was the start of all my problems.It has never worked properly and I wouldn't recommend any future updates, just in case.

A historic day - ST accepted the garmin data and crunched the numbers - at last a working system and something new to fiddle with

• Hi, I have a sort of related question.  I am a bit confused about how the Garmin Training Centre and the Motion Based website work together.  Does my data from the forerunner go into the training centre and motion based or does it just get uploaded to motion based? is theer any benefit to it being in both?

Also, I read that the Motion Based website only holds 10 runs, is that correct?

Any thoughts before I join up would be helpful.

• Blimey this is getting very techie! Thank's MR P, and indeed I can relate to the science fiction bit. These would have featured on Tomorrows World not Runners World!!!!!

SJ, I'm very new to this but I upload to both at the moment and when I have the time to look at the full benefits of both will kick one into touch

The MB basic programme is free and will upload directly from your forerunner  

• I think the Garmin TC is automatic when you plug in your Garmin, but with Motionbased you have to upload your runs and then they go into some sort of Inbox. I don't know how many runs it will store, but some one posted that it costs £60 per year. I find it a bit slow and hard to use, but if you search it for other people's runs you see how comprehensive it can be. I decided to buy a gps myself after seeing someones runs in delamere forest (near us) posted onto google Earth via motion based. I wonder if TC is so basic in order to steer consumers towards motion based; but try Sports Track, a free download. It is a bit tricky to find all the features but you can do everything on it that you can do on motion based and TC

OOK one one of these threads haas a link to the Garmin page that contains the update and usb patches that will allow your garmin to work with TC. Its an update to TC program not the 305 itself.

• Ok, I've been spending some time on Sport Tracks and it's growing on me.

I have downloaded the V2 beta which is much prettier. 

• Yes, Muzz. Me to. I've been using ST since someone a few posts ago recommended it. Best thing I've ever done. Excellent metrics and good, accurate maps. Easy to upload from 305 and yes, the new beta software is v. good. Especially considering it is beta, after all.

Well done ST. Look and learn, Garmin.......

• I will give that a try. I noticed last night that the TC software handles the Garmin workout data much better than sporttracks, which you would expect really. I did 3x1.5 mile repeats with 800m jogs (er-walks actually) and they came out as separate laps on the garmin, but sportracks confused them all
  • Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    But if the PC doesn't recognise the watch (or vice versa) you are totally knackered for downloading anything
  • For PC dont assume just TC - I have used GPSU - and ST when GArmin TC wont play.

Chris

• Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    Yes - I've just emigrated to ST and it works
  • Just a word or praise for Garmin.

I had a problem with the alarms on my 305, they were almost silent !!

Emailed Garmin, they sent me a return number. I sent the unit to them on Tuesday and i recieved a brand new replacement Friday!! Pretty good me thinks.

Best training tool (toy) out!!