Calf pain

2»

Comments

• has anyone tried taking arnica either systemically or topically applied cream for calf strains?

like the comeback kid in 2004, I am experiencing alternate calf strains trying to get started back running, and feeling sorry for myself!
  • I got hit with something similar today. Half a mile in, I felt a slight pain in the upper outside of my right calf. Thought it was stiffness and continued, but it just got worse. Now I'm very sore and worried about what a lengthy rest will do to my fitness.

I don't want to make this post too long - more detail on my blog.
  • I am 53, have been running for 30 years, and the only injuries I seem to get are calf muscle ones (both legs).  Just had to miss 10 days training, and with the Robin Hood Marathon in 11 days I am worried about going on long runs in case the injury comes back.  I would appreciate any advice on excercises to strengthen calf muscles.

• I suffered a sharp calf strain at the end of the City of Manc 10K which was painful to run  on, but fine on the bike, and it lingered for a few weeks. I had a couple of visits to the physio who successfully loosened it. I've built up my running again (not excessively) over the past month, with a combination of biking and running at different intensities and weekly gym circuits. All had been good and my fitness has improved.

Strangely, sat in the office(!) yesterday, my calf started getting tight with a sore point close to where the previous injury was, so I'm going to the physio again next week.

I suspect that damaged/scarred ankle ligaments are causing some sort of imbalance in my running, which probably doesn't help either. 

*My question is, will I continue to suffer with the same calf problem periodically(adding to list of injuries....)?   -How will I know when it's going to occur?*

• Hi everyone, interesting on the subject of calf problems, so here mine. I've been running a few years now, and currently training for my first marathon every thing is going fine. My calf's get cramp and not too bad, feels like a restlessness,perhaps the need for another run...anyone else get these feelings? 
  • Elitemagpie: heel drops over the edge of a step seems to be working for me. Stretches and stregthens the calfs.Fatbutfit: I know it's a few years back now but I quote you "Wear the Flector for 2 1/2 days - you may have to change it if you shower....."Only on a pommie site would you find a line like this image Bath night was Sunday when I used to live there hee hee. 
  • I'm recovering from a calf tear, my physio recommends building up to the heel drop off a step, drop the heel then lift onto the balls of the feet and when you can do that do it on one leg and when you can do that with no problems add a back pack with tins of beans in!  This is several + weeks into rehab so do start much more gently.   I've learnt a lot from using a physio, loads of different ways to stretch and strengthen, well worth the money.
  • Strangely, although there's no pain, I know keep getting a slight spasm/tightness in my calf.... The physio found no knots in the muscle last week.image What could it be?
  • At 22 miles in i wouldn't worry about getting cramps. The thing i would look at is how your refulling during your run. water normally isnt enough for me in particular long runs. you might want an energy bar, or gel to give yourself small boosts. if your doing long training runs, play around with what you eat the night before, when your doing your carb loading. then i write done how my body feels during my run, and in particular when my body hits 'the wall'. its not a perfect science, as everyone reacts differently to different stresses.
  • I suffered from what I called, 'Mysterious cramping calf syndrome' where I would be fine for a mile or so then my calf would suddenly lock up. Walking/cycling/gym would be no trouble, it was just the toeing off action that caused it. Eventually found it was a fallen arch ( a subluxxing navicular to be exact) and a Chiropractor manipulated my foot and voila - fixed.
    It may be that one or more of you have something similar. It's worth a go.