Options

Very fat unfit beginner needs advice

Comments

• Options
    Sounds good to me. Have a good day, folks. I know its Monday :( , but its a downhill run to the weekend once you get it out of the way.
  • Options
    Hi everyone! I've been incognito since last Thursday and just spent 2 hours off and on, catching up.

You all did BRILLIANTLY on you runs this weekend! I almost felt part of the Sports Mile on Sat. We took the train up to London from my in-laws and everybody seemed to be wearing one red sock. Took me ages to figure out what was going on! D'oh!

Did an early morning 2 miler on Saturday and a yoga workshop yesterday with my mother in law (who does the most impossible headstand!!!). I met the most amazing woman at the yoga workshop yesterday. She's done 26 marathons and says that she runs for her head not her body. Mind you, she has a fantastic body so I guess running benefits both.

Long run today 3.5 miler (well long for me anyway!).

Haven't been over to new thread yet. Will post my bio this afternoon after the boss goes out...ha ha ha!
  • Options
    Stu- I like your style! Good way to rationalise a Monday morning!
  • Options
    Good Morning All :-)

I thought I had better make doing my Intro a priority so have now used up my computer time really. Got to go and turn 6lbs of blackcurrants and gooseberries from the garden into jams, jellies and cordials, then I am going to turn the Aga off and we can all get cool again. It is just salads and barbecuing from now on!

Very moving reading all the intros, what lovely people run.

Have a great day all. I hope to chat later.
  • Options
    I'm posted now. Really moving to read everybody's bio's and some new joiners too! Excellent!
  • Options
    I know UKY. I just read your post and its wonderful. I can't believe the fact that there are so many new people already.

Misty - your 'new' post was also amazing. Is Mr Misty going to join us?
  • Options
    Good work everyone. It's having the desired effect; lots of people joining in. The stories of how we all came to run show how committed and courageous we all are.

Enjoy your run today UKY. It sounds like you had a good weekend.

Well run Mykey. I know it's tempting to do more, but you're doing the right thing by sticking to the programme.

• Options
    That's it, I've gone...

Lovely post on the new forum LE (as is everyone else's), but yours has tipped me over the edge. My eyes are blurring over...

well written. well done.

• Options
    have you seen all the people that are joining in!!!, wow and someone from plymouth, maybe another goal for me, she wants to run the plym half mara, maybe i could too!
  • Options
    maybe you could run it together Dan.

I've mailed Morgs from Sunderland and have asked if she wants to run the Jelly Tea run as part of her GNR training.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone - only just got access to post my bit on the new thread. Sorry not able to read everyone's bit until I get home tonight. I had to stop as I can't sit in the office with tears springing up.

Really great to see loads of new people already.

Allie - good luck for tonight - it is going to be a hot one for you.

Hubby and I have drunk so much water since running yesterday, we hope there is some left for the rest of the country.

• Options
    This is so exciting.....
  • Options
    Thanks LE, It will be hot, but I'm not running till 7:30 and Jesmond Dene (where most of the run takes place) is very shady from all the trees.

It's a pity I won't be able to stop and take pictures for you, it's a beautiful setting with a river running through it and a couple of small waterfalls.
  • Options
    UKY-'Some' new joiners; there are almost as many as the regulars - it's great - long may it continue.
    Well it's hot here and it's steadily sapping my will to work...soooo glad I'm not running this lunchtime. I'm already thinking that my planned run at lunch on Thu may need to be deferred until later in the day. Tomorrow will need to be an early morning run.
    There are some enthusiasts partaking of lunchtime circuits here..they have moved out of the gym onto the grass outside. Looks b****y hard work!
  • Options
    If all these people are going to join I think I'm going to have to make some sort of table to remember who's who and what's what to pin to the computer. I'm so amazed by us all!

In the process of packing for the trip to Wales this evening. I just wish I didn't have to go through these next couple of days but I'm not being down hearted as I can't afford to be amongst such wonderful and couragous friends!!
  • Options
    Wish we had had some shade yesterday. We started a third of the way round the track and then had to do another 2 laps after we had reached the finish line. It was quite difficult keeping the mind focused, as we were getting lapped by the sprinters (lol) still it was encouraging as most of the better runners who finished 30 minutes ahead stayed on and cheered everyone else.

Maybe they have been reading our pages and we have inspired them to inspire others, although most runners are good at that anyway.

You will have to go out again another time Allie and take the pics.
  • Options
    Keep your chin up Sian. Not a nice thing to go through, but keep your happy memories and they will help.
  • Options
    Mykey- I know the feeling. I think I might defer tonight's run to tomorrow morning- 5:15am...Urgh!!! Never thought I'd say this but I'd rather get up at 5am than run in the heat!

36C in the farmyard this afternoon! Thankfully, no humidity.
  • Options
    I'll be thinking of you tomorrow Sian.

I remember reading a book by Richard Bach called 'there's no such place as far away'.

The gist of it is that 'when you really love someone, you are always with them' (and I suppose they are always with you).

I think my auntie is with me and I think of her when I run.
  • Options
    I heard a woman on the radio say that the body is just a temporary vessel for the spirit which lives forever! I'll be thinking about you Sian.

Nice post LE- Really moving. You and your husband should be the poster couple for Running Keeps You Young!

• Options
    Thanks guys! Laughing and crying at the same time now! I'll be thinking of all of you and your comments and kindness when I need a little lift tomorrow.
  • Options
    Dan-I may be in Plymouth over the weekend of
    14/15th Oct. Possibly we could meet up and go for a run? Maybe along with kwilter as well. However you'd have to go slowly so the 'old man' could keep up!
  • Options
    Lol UKY.

Mykey - that sounds like a good idea for you and Dan.

Any INSPIRE members passing through Newcastle or Hexham in the near future?
  • Options
    UKY - thanks, but I hate my pic taken. Maybe I could be the one running in the distance.....that might work

Listen to that old man Mykey.....
  • Options
    Going to look for another run to book into now - one that is in September maybe when it isn't too hot.
  • Options
    LE if you find a 5k let me know!
  • Options
    Hurrah for LE. She has the bug!

I'm looking at a 10k Love Run in February 07 - a multi-terrain affair, but a flat course in Newcastle.

What do I do if there is snow?

Hard to think about snow in this weather though...
  • Options
    Allie-Buy some tennis rackets!
  • Options
    Found a 5m one on the 2nd Sept - waiting for hubby to get back.

Mykey - there is a 5k in Portsmouth on 9th August. It is called the Promenade 5k. Also on Octber 1st there is a 10k/5k called the Alton Dowland Challenge.

We don't have the snow problem down here Allie. Can just picture Allie on tennis rackets lol.

• Options
    5k in october sounds good Mykey, or is that when you're busy with work? Fancy doing another 5k soon.