Very fat unfit beginner needs advice

Comments

• LE- Thanks I spotted theose. However 9 Aug we're in Wales and the Alton challenge sounds a bit..adventurous having read some of the comments:
    1.A 10k race that feels more like 8 miles! Alton doesn't have hills, they're mountains!!!.
    2. A hard race.
    3. most 5km runners finished with nettle stings and muddier than the 10km's
    4. Plenty of hills.
    You Army types might enjoy that sort of thing but I prefer things a little more civilised...at least for my first race!
    Siâni-Both email were to 5ks(the Loreal 9 has a 5k fun run attached). I agree though that the Neath one is better - its run in Margam.
  • I've added my bit to the new thread and I've read some brilliant stuff there too .

We did our 10+mile bike ride on Saturday having done an hours walk the day before , we wanted to capitalise on the weekend by walking yesterday, I ran for an hour and half at about 10;45 and clocked up nearly 12 miles at a cracking pace even with the heat. We were all set to go out late afternoon for a walk as my legs were stiffening and then the washing machine packed up. The drum won't turn , its a fitted kitchen with integrated appliances though about 8 years old. all afternoon was spent getting the thing out then getting it apart to find it needs new motor bushes.

Fortuntaly I've located some in Birmingham and I'll collect them on the way to meet mrs H at the gym but we must get back early to fix it as we need to wash the clothes!!

Fitness?? easy until life gets in the way !!

I'll do another 1:30 run wednesday then tail off for the 10mile race Sunday. We hope to walk Tuesday and Thursday/Friday. Gym for me Tonight Friday, probably the same for Mrs H . Tricky week we have to juggle.
  • Whooppppeee!! Another 5k! <sorry was that me typing????>

Yep, lets go for the Margam Park one. I used to go on school trips there from Primary School! And the kids love it.
  • OTH-Please scrub the Mykeys off for the Ashurts Amble on Sept 10th. We've found a proper race near to our parents. Its the Neath Port Talbot Cancer Challenge - The Johns Richards 5k on 17th Sept.
  • LOL Mykey -lets not get into an Army/Navy conflab. Hubby did an orienteering event in Alton a few years ago. It isn't the easiest place to run.

I do love doing cross country though. Keeps the interst going.

We have decided to do all the runs we do this year again next year plus a few more. Then we can compare times and stuff like that. Hope it rains in July next year for the Thruxton one.

Hubby has just emailed. We are going for the Overton 5m on 2nd September. OTH will you add it to the list please?

Well done to you both, Sian and Mykey for getting a run to do. Great to do the same one as a couple. Will you do it together, or will you kiss goodbye at the start and then meet up at the end?
  • Oops that was supposed to be Ashurst...
  • Mykey that would be great we could around th Hoe and barbican maybe, i think you would have to wait for me!!, if you come down the week after you could of enter another aquathon!
  • Mike - you and Mrs H are doing a lot. Well done to you both. And to go 12 miles in this heat. How do you do it????
  • Oh Dan-Get thee behind me Satan! Your comment has reminded me that 20 years ago I was a National Lifeguard champion(junior) for an event called 'run-swim-run'. I won not because of any particular running or swimming ability just the knowledge of tides and currents. I'm sooooo tempted...must resist the aquathon..must resist the aquathon...
    Just realsied your aquathon is the same weekend as the GSR and if in Plymouth I won't be able to support LE (and other friends running it)...
    Still tempted though....
  • I'll be there to support you LE for the GSR and I'll run it with you next year!! My friend who ran the RFL with me is doing it this year so I'll definitely be there. We'll have to meet up there actually. I'll hold up a banner!
  • Is that support include oxygen Sian - starting to wonder what I have booked in for. Although I think the amount of people and the atmosphere will be fantastic and keep anyone going - it will be a run/walk for me but more running I hope.

I have just checked the site for our times yesterday .....

wait for it......

are you sitting down.......

I knocked 53 seconds of my PB

And in that heat.

How does the song go....

DON'T STOP ME NOW - I'M HAVING SUCH A GOOD TIME......
  • lol mykey, my first aquathon is aug 19th but when you were talking about coming down there is one on 21 oct, a pool based shorter novice type one i think.! thats some acheievment tho mykey!.
  • Well done LE on your PB

Everyone seems in good spirits today. Booking more runs and enjoying their new found fitness

Great stuff Mike and Mrs H!

Tennis Rackets Mykey! ROFL - Had to tell my colleague why I started laughing to myself...
  • If the atmosphere is good you'll be running all of it without realising you've broken a sweat! Especially if you're getting PB's in this heat!! I'll be there with the water and cheer team at the end. We'll bring pom-poms and do a victory cheer for you. I say "we" as in me, Joe and Bethan if Mykey's not here!!

Off now to pack the car - speak in a few days guys!
  • Mike and Mrs M - just read your new thread. Keep it up - so impressive both the support that Mike gives and the progress of Mrs M.

I may have mentioned a long time ago, that my mother took up running when she was 40. Never did anything before then. My mother has always been on the large size and had difficulty keeping weight off. Mum completed many 10k runs and even the London marathon a couple of times. Unfortunatley, she went into a coma whilst on holiday and developed diabetis. She had to stop running to sort out her medical problems. This was approx 15 years ago. I spoke to her yesterday and she was bubbling when she told me that they have brought an exercise bike and she manages 15 minutes non-stop everyday now. She did say that she has put on more weight then ever over the past couple of years from inactivity, but has put a walking plan together and hopes to show me what she can do when she comes to visit in a couple of weeks. I look forward to going for a walk with mum. She has struggled for years with bad feet through her diabetis and breathing problems connected to her weight issue. But this is inspiring and encouraging that finally she has been given the go ahead (after years) to get back out there. My mum is 66. Has never been to a gym, always did her running outside on her own and never worried what others might think of her size. She is truly an inspiration to me.
  • And an inspiration to us too now LE. A great story. You will have to keep us informed of her progress. The exercise bike is some achievement already .
  • Thanks Allie - she kept that quiet. They live up north in Scotland, so only see them a couple of times a year. Really impressed though.
  • Well done Lyn, a fantastic result and a great story about your Mum - if she's a 'silver surfer' you could get her on here!
    Right I'm off to get changed. Siân is picking me up from work so we can head straight to Wales.
    Good luck to all the runners today and tomorrow. We'll try to post but not sure if we'll get the chance until Wednesday.
    Praying for clear roads and quiet children...
  • Mykey + Siân - We will be thinking of you the next few days, keep the spirits up !!

LE - You are on a roll girl, some running !!!

UKY - Great 2 miler the other day, enjoy the run tonight !

Dan - of course you'll do the 1/2 M, look at the progress you've made.

Allie i'm doing the GNR in Oct.

Well i'm not running today , going tomorrow. It is sweltering here today, you not say that often up here.
  • Dingus. I hope to bump into you at GNR - but I'm not running with you this year!

Enjoy your day off. I hope you're getting the most of this weather while it lasts.

I hope it will cool off shortly. We have still had no rain to speak of in Newcastle even though some of you had thunderstorms and downpours last week or the week before. My lawns are looking quite sad.
  • Siân/Mykey ... I was really hoping to catch you before you went :(

I wanted to send you my heartfelt and sincere <<hugs>> - do hope it goes as well as can be. We'll be thinking of you.
  • Allien - hope you have a spleniforous run tonight ... I know it's a bit later but it will still be very warm, so you know the drill -- lots and lots of water!!!

Go Girl Go !!!!!!!
  • Hi OTH, How are you today? Were you ok after your mile?
  • ((Mykey and Sian)) to you both, will be thinking of you.

Sian, I don't think Mr Misty will join in here but I will let you know his progress.
  • UKY - lovely to see you back :-)

Misty - hope you'll keep us posted on hubby's progress too.

Dan - get yer name down for that 1/2 mara ... you can do it mate!!

Mike - 1 1/2 hrs .. 12miles ... and in that heat. What a performance. Well done.

LE - 53secs off PB. That is brilliant!

Everyone is doing amazingly. It is such a buzz coming on here and reading all the reports and 'feeling' the excitement and enjoyment coming from you all. Truly INSPIRing friends!!

The new thread is wonderful isn't it. On Tuesday we'll have to give all our new posters a really big INSPIRE welcome! Just goes to show ... there were people out there just waiting for a smaller thread they could join .. so we did good :-)

I'll add our 'bring forward' to the new thread as late as possible tonight ... then we're off tomorrow folks!!!!
  • Allien - we had such a great time Saturday ... and I've finally done a 'real' run!!! Hurraay!! .. and I'm fine today thanks :-)

Been really busy - then took over an hour to catch up on both threads ... great isn't it. Everyone is so 'upbeat' ...

love it!!!
  • Can you all check the list and tell me if I've made any mistakes or missed any out please :-)

INSPIRE Running Club - Race Details

Allien - Jesmond Dene Womens Race 5.4k - 17th July
    Mike – Trentham 10mile – 23rd July
    Daniel - Plymouth Aquathon, 500m sea swim, 5k run – 19th Aug
    Dingus, Peterhead - Peterhead 10k - 27th Aug.
    LE & Hubby – Overton – 5 mile – 2nd Sept
    Allien - Jelly Tea Run - 10 miles - 10th Sept
    Mike H - Lichfield 10K - 10th Sept
    Em, Forest Of Dean - Badminton 10k - 17th Sept
    Siân & Mykey – Neath Port Talbot Cancer Challenge – 5k – 17th Sept
    Uk Yankee Singleton, Kent - Faversham 10k -17th Sept
    Dingus, Peterhead - GNR 13.1 miles - 1st Oct
    LE - GSR 10miles - 22nd Oct
    INSPIRE Ladies – Dingus’ 5K Kilt run, TBA

Photos:
    DingusOTHEmandbelleMykeyPlodfatherUK YankeeDaniel’s PhotosLE’s PhotosAllien’s Photos

MOVE TO NEW THREAD TAKING PLACE TODAY & TOMORROW !!!!
  • OK .... here is the Title of the new thread ... it is up !!! Sorry messed up bold on title but should be OK !!!!

Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us …
    INSPIRE, a beginners ‘virtual’ runners club. Read Page1 please

several postings already on ...and ne posters .. go see ... it's excellent!!!