Options

Very fat unfit beginner needs advice

Comments

• Options
    off to help make (and eat tea) - see you all later x
  • Options
    The new forum is great OTH, isn't it? Look what you've done to the nation! I for one am absolutely hooked.

We're all really excited about the move and getting to know the newbies. To echo someone else (Siân I think), you're a star!

It was a great idea and it's really taken off like we hoped.

When are you planning to run next yourself?
  • Options
    I agree with the others OTH - well done. How about that next run booking then - look forward to seeing it on the list.

I won't be here tomorrow - have to go to London for meetings. See you all on Wednesday and I look forward to the new thread.

Allie - take care and enjoy tonight.
  • Options
    I am rather overcome with reading all the posts on the other thread. To think that I always had the idea that people who ran did so because they were naturally good at it and found it "easy"!
    I so appreciate all the honesty and openness. Think I will have to read them several times to take it all in.

It is jolly hot here too and I was planning to run this evening. Need to have a look and see what is next on the plan. Also, must wash off the blackcurrant splatters, I look diseased right now!

Dan, you might be interested as you are a teacher in training. My son is taking part in the Gothia Cup, a world youth football tournament. It looks to be a fab event, the England kids, 300 of them, have to sing in the opening event tonight. They are singing Robbie Williams "Angel", as apparently England fans are considered such good singers! I was pleased too to see another Westcountry person as I am only 1/2 hour from Plymouth. Must check out that half marathon schedule.

Good running to those still going ahead tonight.

• Options
    Allie, You don't want the thunderstorms! We have not been able to go online for two weeks because of them.
    Be safe everyone and unplug everything to do with your computers etc if there is thunder in the air.
  • Options
    wow, misty that is such a big thing for your son, he will always remember that, where is this cup being held?

id love to do the half marathon, im just wondering if my training will be kept up when i return to uni!

right im off to my spin class, or as plodfather would think "hell on a bike"!
  • Options
    Misty, number 1 son was also very good at football and played for school and county. He played in an England Schoolboys tournament at 16 in Belfast and at 22 he is now playing in the Northern League. We have his England team photo proudly displayed.

I know how proud you must be. Enjoy the event tonight and the tournament - I hope the lads do well.
  • Options
    I meant a he played for England in a UK Schoolboys Tournament (England won)...

Anyway, it sounds fabulous. I remember going to watch the games every weekend - It was great (not sure how that would fit in with my running nowadays)!
  • Options
    OMG! I have just had a look at the schedule and I am supposed to run for 8 minutes tonight!
    Wish me luck, as this sounds impossible to me.
  • Options
    You can do it Misty ! - is that 8 mins total or 8 mins then a walk break then more running?
  • Options
    34 degrees in the office above mine. Everyone is complaining. I feel that we just have to get on with it. Before long it will be cold wet and windy and then they will really have something to complain about.

All we can do is take it a little easier - drink plenty of water and come into work in our shorts, tees and flip flops.

And this is from the person who is going to have to put her business suit on tomorrow and go to London........
  • Options
    You can do it Misty - just keep it slow and positive.
  • Options
    Right - logging off now - see you all on Wednesday in our new home
  • Options
    Thanks LE and Allie for wishing me luck.
    Hope all goes well for you LE and see you on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Allie I am supposed to do 8 mins run and 2 mins walk 3 times.

My son loves his football but only plays for the school team as his talent seems to be in rugby. His rugby team won the Devon Under 12s this year. I too really enjoy watching all the matches, not a hardship although soemtimes very cold! Your son must be a very highly talented footballer!
    I won't be able to watch Sam tonight though as this event is in Sweden so he is away all week.
  • Options
    Dan, the Gothia Cup is in Gothenburg, Sweden. You might be interested in their website www.gothiacup.se My son's school is South Dartmoor Community College.

I too wonder if I could be fit enough for a half-mara next year. Hark at me!

Really would have liked to go for the Sport Relief Mile to get a race experience but I knew we would be madly packing and organising my son. And we were!
  • Options
    Sorry Misty - I forgot he was away. You must really wish you were there with him.

Craig had quite a few trials with several premiership and other division clubs, but nothing came of it. He still loves to play but now he's just completed a chemical and process engineering degree and his proper job is getting in the way.
  • Options
    I think you'll be ready for a HM next year.

I remember struggling with the same 8/2 x3 part of my 5k training program, but I'm sure you can do it.

Thinking of a HM myself (next year)
  • Options
    I do hope Craig manages to still play football in his spare time as a nice balance to his work life. Congratulations to him on his degree.

I'd love to see this event but he is enjoying his independence and I know I would need a tissue if I watched him singing!

By the way I am not really doing nothing here-drinking water in prep for my run!
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement Allie!
  • Options
    I probably should clarify that Craig is my stepson so his talent has nothing to do with me. Still very proud of him though!
  • Options
    Hi all.

Thanks for the comments on the photos, Dingus. We did have a fantastic day. Just looking for another run now to get back on the list and have something to focus on!

A scorcher here today (as everywhere) but just 4 more days before summer hols!!! Hope it lasts - I've got a list as long as my arm of garden jobs...

New thread is looking good, all, and it's good to see the new people coming in - that was the idea, wasn't it?

Off to gym tonight - going to try for 20 mins...OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!

Bye...
  • Options
    Great photos Plod. Have fun at the gym :-)
  • Options
    Well, I am back. I cannot quite believe it but that is the first of my 8/2s under my belt!
    It was only okay I think because of the timely reminders from allie and LE to take it slowly, I was actually surprised when the alarm went off especially as I was running uphill. Go slowly enough it seems and anything is possible, I realise now that I was pushing myself too hard on the 5/2s as I took much longer to do my 2 miles tonight.
    As I told myself as my reward i could look at Plod's photos when I got back, that is what I am going to do next, then a quick whiz through a bath.
    Thanks for the advice and the encouragement!
  • Options
    Very nice photos Plodfather, glad it all went so well. When my family (but not me) did it they got the socks mixed up and there wasn't a Done it sock in my daughter's bag, she was most upset!
  • Options
    Hi all

The new thread is looking great!

There are loads of excellent posts.
    It is already INSPIRE-ing.
  • Options
    Hello!!

Just thought I'd pop by before the new thread starts 'proper' tomorrow.

Some really great stories on there and you are all so friendly
  • Options
    Hello again - Back from gym...

Didn't quite make it, I'm afraid. Not to worry - had a very good bike session instead!
  • Options
    Ooh, sorry!

Hi Morgs, and welcome!
    We are friendly! I wouldn't be here otherwise I can't bear nastiness and I've stopped visiting several forums because of it! No chance of that here.
    I'm just a tree hugging hippy...
  • Options
    Right - off to bed
    Early night - busy day tomorrow!!!
    Night all...