Options

Very fat unfit beginner needs advice

Comments

• Options
    WELL DONE OTH !!!! Looking good !!!

Yes Mike... any update ??
  • Options
    I've been told by someone that cycling strengthens your knees, and it will also help you to do aerobic exercise without putting any pressure on your joints, so you can build your general fitness with less risk of injury. It's also a lot faster than walking, so it could be a viable method of normal transport if you don't need to travel too far.

Well done on how far you've come, keep it up!
  • Options
    Well she's done well this week indeed with our "round the block" walks every day except yesterday . She's been lucky enough to get to the gym tuesday and today and we did the walk as well. I've put her a plan together for the gym too so her hour is focussed and she enjoyed it. She came with me last night to spectate at the Kingsbury Classic 10k and enjoyed that especially as the mostly club runners that made up the small field of 90 included a lot of middle aged runners ( I put in my only second sub 50 minute 10K 49:11) . She enjoyed the spectacle like the other day and it lifted her enthusiasm another notch indeed.

Todays walk round the block even after being at the gym this afternoon was quite easy for her and has left her feeling refreshed even in the heat.

Though at the moment she says she can't even imagine running anywhere I reckon that even with a 5 / 1 walk/run *3 in several months time she'll be raring to go and the 5/1 will be easy as it should be .

The key is to be SLOWLY so OTH I'd do the 3/1 perhaps just 4 times and do that 4 or 5 times a week until it's so easy you forget and do extra reps.

The problem I have with the way this kind of sport is percieved is that one should run till one is in pain and gasping and just do that until its easier. Nothing else I can think of is seen like this and I don't understand why it should be so. When we get to the running for 15 mins regularly we may be gasping but not until. Thats the way I see it - I may be wrong .
  • Options
    Mike - give your wife a hug from me and tell her it's great to hear how well she is doing. I know how she feels ref the running but can see from many other threads on here that it can be done. I agree with you on the key being build up slowly. My problem sometimes is I have the enthusiasm of a hare but the body of a slug!! Well done on the sub 50min BTW :-)

Went for a couple of walks myself today - the first 1.7 miles and the second 2.3 miles. I wanted to break into a run a couple of times on both but just don't have the confidence yet to do it in public ... but I think it won't be long before I try it, maybe round a park or something to start with. Did run the last 30secs or so to the front door each time - 'cos then I was able to get inside and hide before I could see anyone watching me!

Yorksroyal/Dingus - thanks for the encouragement :-)
  • Options
    OTH - thanks for that . I keep up that walking , going further getting faster then it'll all come naturally. Try that run down the garden it'll seem strange then it'll all click into place. Walk first thats the key - the weight will drop away as you go furhter faster - but don't do too much too soon .

If you are embarrased go to a quiet park in the daytime or a queit street , noone really cares and the chavvy kids will be at school or hiding from the police to be out in the open . Then just do a 3 /1 run walk a few times - do it till it gets dead easy . As you get fitter then confidence will grow.
  • Options
    Well done Mike on your sub 50 10k, excellent stuff !!!
    Your wife is lucky to have you for support and helping her with a plan !
    OTH- as Mike says take things slowly and at your pace. Don't worry about what small minded people think when you start to run outdoors, you are doing this for you, not them.Come time you will do a fun run and when you get your medal, you will be well chuffed.Glad you are not feeling pain just now. As Yorksroyal stated, you might try using a bike to help you. I bike to work and it does help a lot!
    Keep going !

I did a 3 mile run tonight and persuaded my wife to join me on her bike, she enjoyed it although her legs will prob be stiff tomorrow !
  • Options
    WOW- what an amazing thread. OTH and Mrs Mike, a big well done to you both. When are we going to meet Mrs Mike on RW?

OTH can I ask what it is that concernes you about running/walking outside? Is there anything a carp individual could say to you that you haven't heard before? Did you ever think that maybe as you run/walk past someone they might think "do you know what I'm gonna try going for a run, if she can do it...." You could be an inspiration to more people than you think.

I'm about 3 1/2 stone over weight but still run (halves 10k's etc) and love it. It makes me happy I aim to one day to run a marathon with Hippo (she rocks!!) I've been running about 9 months on my first run I thought I was going to die 30 seconds into the run 1 walk 1. The first time I ran for 4 minutes I was in no doubt I was an olympic athlete (happy hormones made me a bit delirious) I look at my weight loss and running as a long term thing. I can do 10 miles now, had you said that this time last year I would have had you sectioned. Got my second half this sunday, I know I cant run it all yet, so I'll walk when I need to. At least I'll finish.

You are making long term changes to your life. You are the one that has taken control and I'm impressed.
  • Options
    Hi again :-)
    Max - you've done incredibly well in such a short period of time. I am amazed and so very pleased for you. I can understand where you are coming from when you say you felt like an olympic athlete the first time you ran for 4 mins - I think I'm gonna feel that way at 2 !!!! The first time I did all 8reps of 30secs run/1min walk I spent the next hour with my music blaring, dancing around the room (yes, it's them happy hormones).... much to my teenage daughter's disgust (mum - what IS that stuff you are playing!!) ... only thing missing was the handbag in the middle of the floor to dance round.

.. in fact, it was dancing that first made me start to think about getting fit. I was out at a 'Tom Jones' themed dance night - yes, that's how old I am - when I realized I couldn't stay on the dance floor for more than one dance (and that was an effort). It was after this night that I started looking into doing something about it and began 'lurking' on this website and then taking the plunge ... but I digress ...

I think I worry about running outside because I 'look' such a mess - no rythem, red-faced, bulging everywhere, puffing like the proverbial train, sweating like a horse ... and then having to stop after 1 minute and walk. Maybe, when I'm up to a few more mins I won't feel so bad ... or maybe the happy hormones will kick in sooner and I'll go outside regardless of what I look like!

Mike/Dingus - thanks again for the input ...and Mike ... bet you didn't think you'd be planning for two of us and not just your wife :-)
  • Options
    run early am
    I still feel funny about going out in real daylight
    though the more you do it-the easier it gets0today i even went out in schoolkid time

Thanks max
    x
  • Options
    OTH Sunglasses and an ipod. sunglasses = psychological factor it creates a barrier.
    ipod/mp3 = you dont have to hear what (if) anyone says anything.

Re: looking a mess.....he he he you've not met me yet!!! I glow like a pig. You know what? I dont care because I know I can outrun the only people who would say something negative. Most women worry about their butt, being half Jamaican I would worry if I had a small bum, it's a cultural / genetic thing. I like having a woman's shape I am meant to be curvy. I feel far more powerful having boobs and a bum than I would being underweight (no offence to anyone underweight).

Tom Jones? Sing sex-bomb to yourself whilst running!!
  • Options
    I've picked up my friend's exercise bike today (long-term loan) and had a 15min go before my normal schedule. Not bad once I put a pillow from my bed on the seat!! You can certainly put in more miles with far less pain -- looking forward to the time I don't need the pillow ... then I'll be getting the real thing and off out onto the roads :-)

• Options
    Exercise bikes are great if you have the room - even better if you've borrowed it or got it for a fiver from a carboot! I've seen them at carboots - real good ones like Weider for £10. Many folk buy these and hardly use them - they are great to make a start but they need commitment. !5 - 20 mins before you go out will give you a great head start and as you get better and don't need it you don't get the guilt of paying £200 for it.

Suprinsingly today we went round the block and my wife said her back didn't hurt at all and we were a minute quicker. I'm suprised the back pain went so quickly - it may return as we push out distance though. A good first week really.
  • Options
    Excellent news - congrats Mrs Mike :-)
  • Options
    Sounds good Mike, r*nning can be good for backs, if the problem is only muscular.

oth you are not leaving us for cycling are you?

Or is it a triathlon you're going for?
  • Options
    I think OTH has secret Tri or ironman ambitions.....
  • Options
    LOL - nooo, just want to get the knees fit enough to run, run, run :-)
  • Options
    .... and the bike was easier to use tonight with the 'nappy rash' cream on (too much walking in the heat yesterday!!!!). Off for beauty (!) sleep now.. see you all tomorrow.
  • Options
    Nite all - the weekend lies before us.
  • Options
    Sudocream is the stuff - oh the joy of chafing.
  • Options
    Been out the weekend OTH?

Having more time the weekend my wife and I decided to walk further and it was very pleasant - nearly 30mins with no ill effect. Well actually having got a new PB at the Hill West 10K this morning I can hardly walk but I put a brave face on it and off we went and to be honest it got all the knots out.

So her first week has been delightful really and early worries over low back pain seem to have dissappeared. She'll be going to the gym tommorrow.
  • Options
    Well done on the PB Mike ... and great to hear Mrs Mike is getting on so well - enjoy the gym :-)

Yes, I walked into 'town' yesterday - I live in inner city Bristol so going into 'town' means into the city centre. Walked around a bit and then walked home again. Ped said I'd walked 5.18km. Took 62mins.

Today my partner, daughter and I took the dogs to a very popular area for walking - you can walk, cycle, run or even take your horse there. The footpaths follow alongside a lovely stream and the area goes through some beautiful woodland.

Everytime there was a gap where we could see no other people, we did a quick 30sec run. Only managed 4 of these - not because of energy levels but because I wouldn't do it when there was anyone in view, but enjoyed it all the same. We completed 3.34km on the walk before hunger sent us back home for lunch.

All-in-all I've done almost 32km walk/run/cycle this week, so am well pleased. I am not setting my targets too high next week - I just want to be able to enjoy the 1min runs and not have niggling knee/leg pains afterward, and be able to breath better.
  • Options
    Well done Mike and Missus.

32 k total last week OTH... well done !!!!! Good idea about the bike folks, u can use a Mp3 or personal stereo to help in case you get bored .
    I did a 4 mile run last Sat avo, but had a mate up visiting from Livingston Sat night, so over indulged that night. Suffered for it yesterday though !!

Everybody have a good weekend ?
  • Options
    Well done OTH - lots of walking thats the ticket. Strngthens the legs and joints and just makes everything else easier. Your running intervals of 30s are great - enough to get going not too much to cause trouble. I really wouldn't worry about what others think - if you do this on a regular basis after a few months you'll be really good then the onlookers will look jaded and unfit - It's a perception thing.

My wife is really waiting till some weight comes off then she can get some sports support wear and she'll feel less selfconscious. But we are quite away from that at the moment - she still thinks how on earth she can do it but I think she's getting ahead of herself in picturing the 10K run at all.

Typically the race yesterday was a real killer - not an easy 10K and the small field was quite vocal about the killer hills so that worried her a bit . Of course I pointed out that it'll need at least a years running to tackle a tricky hily 10K like that. Still it had a good range of age groups more around her age and not all lean runners.
  • Options
    Dingus - if you do a good run then a little over indulgence can be dismissed as a reward!! thats what I reckon!
  • Options
    OTH- well done on your progress, 32km in a week is fantastic, you must be starting to feel so much better now.
    Keep it up and keep us informed as it helps spur the rest of us on you know.
  • Options
    Quite right Mike !! Going for a run tonight to get back into it !!
    Keep up the good work with your wife !
  • Options
    Hi all, yes - chuffed with the 32km and feel a lot better when walking outside. Still keep getting these niggling little pains in knees and/or calves which put me off starting next work-out, but once I start they seem to melt away. Have set myself to do it at 2pm today no matter what (on call till then so can't put exercise gear on in case I'm called out).

I understand how your wife feels Mike - my little walk/run stuff I did at the weekend I did with my lycra shorts on under normal loose trousers, sports bra on under normal T-shirt and with running shoes on. That way I hoped if anyone saw me running they'd just think I was late for something and not think I was 'trying to run' - a quick glance at the watch every now and then completes the illusion! I also can't wait till I've lost a bit more weight so I can cast off the costume and reveal the super-hero-runner lurking underneath LOL.
  • Options
    Hi All,

I have been totally engrossed in this thread since coming across it. Well done OTH and Mike&Mrs Mike! I wish you all the best in your continued running journeys :->

I'm new to running too - been going now since the middle of March and have got the RFL coming up in 3 weeks time. I have never run before and have found it quite challenging to do the beginner's program from this website. However, I have gone from not being able to run for 1 minute to now being able to run in 15 minute blocks with 1 min walk in between. If someone had told me before that I would be able to do that after 8 weeks I would have laughed at them!

The biggest issue though that I have had to overcome is my own perception of the outward image I think I am projecting to everyone else. I am reading a bit of that into some of the threads here too. I am a size 14/16 so a bit overweight but my fear has always been that people will think "what is that fat person doing trying to run - doesn't she look silly".

It has taken me a few weeks of very early starts (out the door at 5.30 am so no one will see me) and a lightbulb going off in my head to get over that. It suddenly occurred to me that if I see someone out running/walking/cycling I might register their existance briefly in my head but then I forget them totally as they have no meaning in my life at all. I realised that all I am to other people when out running is some person they see briefly whilst going about their own business and that they will forget I exist a few minutes after I pass them.

I hope my slant on things helps you OTH (and anyone else bothered by "running in public"). It has helped me as I now treat myself to a "lie-in" until 8 am for my weekend run :->

Life is too short to be constrained by what you think others think about you.

Best of luck!
    xxx
  • Options
    Nicely put RJ. It's just the same as if you see someon with a big nose, or a scar or something. Yes you may register it but then it falls out of your head immeadiately doesn't it?

As I'm a size 16, my thoughts are, yep I'm bigger than you but guess what? I'm a hell of a lot fitter than you, quite apart fomr anything else, I love my curves, they make me a woman!!!
  • Options
    Hi and welcome to the thread RJ ... and thanks for the words of encouragement. I know eventually I will get out there and stop worrying so much about what I look like, I expect Mrs Mike knows she will too but .....

Oh to be a size 16 !!!!! I'd kill to be that 'small'. Let me put it into perspective too - I am a lard-arse, as big as a house, in Size 26 at least (size 44" in mens trousers - can't find any womens that fit neatly) - oh, and my curves have 'curves' of their too <grin>. My knees are the size of most womens thighs, and when I stand with 'my legs together' my feet are still 12" apart !!! If I were a size 18 or 20 even I might be a little less self-conscious but I am a long way off this yet - probably many months.

... but, like I said, I really appreciate all the encouragement and it does make me more inclined to 'go do it anyway', and I've stopped feeling silly about believing I too can run for more than a minute at a time one day.....

.... and I just did 30mins exercise including 9 reps of 1min run/2mins walk without running out of puff sooo another step in the right direction :-)