FLM 2007

Comments

• Ha ha - snails - that's brilliant! I had a new mountain bike delivered today and had to get my husband to lie it on the ground so I could get off it - I got major cramp swinging my leg over to get on it...

Anyone else got a sore lower back? I can't sit back - it feels bruised... Ow!

NT - sorry to hear your race didn't go so well! It was damn hard to get oxygen in - probably why the legs stopped working!
  • hey folks - got back to North wales this afternoon and following 2 cans of Guiness with meal and reading the forum comments i do feel a lot better.
    To those of you who got under 4:30 - you are amazing - very well done. To those over 5hrs - it was an exceptional day.
    For me it was midling. Marathon no 8 and i always have several goals 1 finish 2 finish well 3 finish pb 4 finish running all way
    - i acheived a finish (achivement in itself, as we all know, and i finished having run all the way ~ only the odd walk at start when too crowded -but dont count that. !
    -timewise my garmin said 4:40 - but my official time says 4:51 Hmmm i thought the garmin would calculate miles when in underpasses etc ; 4:51 is officially a pw (ba humbug) ~ like Alex - my last 2 marathones 2 PWs ~ at Blackpool 2005 the temperature was similar/hotter less shade & less water & i got a them pw of 4:48
    -so very mixed emotions, i felt my race was ok , after a very late loo visit - i seemed to be the last out of the loos , my club runner friend & i started well back, in pen 8 , & good slow steady pace - passing the 11min pacer, the man pulling boulder and the squaddies, it was great having my family at mile 13, going through canary warf i could see that Pippa from Buckley runners was weaving ahead of me, & i lost her when i grabbed a bag of jelly babies from runners world frumites at mile 17, so i put mp3 player on managed to keep up a steady slow pace to 22 where i knew family would be , i can run 4 miles etc
    - i remembered 4 years ago feeling quite desolate from mile 22 but this year milking the crowd -whenever there was a Welsh dragon Thanks guys, and plod plod a slow run to the finish in a PW of 4:51~ ~overall a comfortable run - i feel i could have done better if i could have upped the pace - but felt i couldnt up the pace
    ~great to meet BUFF & ALLROLLOVER/FRAZ we were at the first lorry, daffodil was there till i gave it to sister when i went to loo (1st time! 0925)
    ~a big WELLDONE to everyone , we have acheived something great
    -my successes - i have completed my 8th marathon, my 6th since my 40thbirthday, and my first one running all the way, i felt comfortable(ish) hydration/lucozade worked well, having my name on my vest and the Welsh dragon cap helped a great deal for support (not as good as those is costume eg jack sparrow !!), i enjoyed the day (far more than last time) , the spectacle, the phenomenal organisation (thanks FLM)and support from family & runners world
    - my could do better (next time?) ~ a slightly faster pace
    so far more positives than negatives
    VERY WELL DONE everyone, and thanks for sharing posts pre & post race - helped lots & lots
    rob
  • oh and my sponsor target of £1000 for Nightingale house hospice in North Wales has been exceeded.
  • Snails brilliant video. So true.
  • howdy from the big apple-proper spring weather here-ie cold!
    love that video,after 8 hours on the plane i was very pleased not to have to go down steps ....sleep well y'all
  • would be great to all meet up sometime
  • Hi SpeedE

I tapped you on the shoulder early on, remember? Maybe not!

Glad you did well, I struggled from mile 13 and got in in a disappointing 5.14 after really bad stitch (just like Gebresalassie!) in the middle of my stomach from mile 23m. The heat just got to me, still I've done it and got the medal.

Well done to everyone for finishing.
  • Doesn't it freak you out when you see a donation on your page and you have no clue who it's from????

Anyway, looking at Dublin in October....

I know, I know... I said I wouldn't do another.

Cheap for me as I have my accommodation at my parents.
  • Ha! I'm also looking at Dublin in October, having crossed the finish line on Sunday and said 'Never again!'. How quickly we forget....
  • By the way, I've changed my name from sandradibble in case any of you were wondering who the new frootloop was.

Hmmmm, well I just think that because you are this far with your training to let it lapse and then have to pick it back up again for next year.

Also, brother is talking about it, he lives there.
  • Well sorry its been a while getting back in touch with all our forum friends, here goes with my report an the one from Mrs QH.

Met up with Alex P and Sandra before which was really nice, then to the start of the race, within 2 miles I knew I was in trouble, think I had eaten something on Saturday night that had not agreed with me as stomach tying itself in knots and causing unbelievable stomach cramps, Mrs QH knew something wasn't right as usually always chatting to her when running and she said I was slient, Couldn't take any more at mile 6 and had to stop for a toilet break, I had to make 4 toilet stops because of the stomach cramps. At mile 9 I had had enough and stopped to walk, had lost lots of fluid from sweat and diaorehha, Mrs QH stopped with and I told her I couldn't do it and for her to carry on and I would meet her at the finish, she then said "No way, we have done all our training together, we are going to get through this thing together NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES" (God, I love my wife).

We then tried to run between the water stations and taking a walk break at each water station to make sure we took on enough fluid (saw loads of people collapsed by side of road).

By mile 18 I had got rid of whatever was causing the stomach cramps (you know what I mean) and started to get second wind, tried to kick on from there but Mrs QH satrted to suffer at mile 22, but I promised her that I would get her to the finish and she picked up when she saw Big Ben and we ran from there to the finish, holding hands as we crossed the finish line like some love struck teenagers.
    We then collapsed on each other in floods of tears.

We crossed the finish line in 5:31 and something and to tell you all the truth the time really doesn't matter to us anymore just the massive achievment of what we have all done is enough and we have been a high since finishing.

Thank you all our forum friends for all the advice, tears, laughter you have given us over the last 5-6 months.

• QH - there have been so many inspiring stories on this forum, but I think you and Mrs. QH cap them all. I can't imagine how you kept going and thank goodness you had your wife to stay with you.

Well done to both of you for finishing - you got your medals and that's all that matters...
  • Thanks fiftyplus

We went out for meal last night, with my family and my wifes family, I should up and made a toast to my wife as without her I wouldn't have a medal and finishers tee shirt and everyone started crying.

• QH & Mrs. QH: that is so sweet and moving... that's what love is all about! Well done to both of you, a TRUE partnership!
  • QH & Mrs. QH: Felt a lump in my throat when reading your text. The pain of the run is still fresh in the mind I guess.
    Jackie Rabbit: Yes, I remember you. Glad you made it. Was hoping to see more from forum but mind seemed to just switch off.
  • Yes, me too SpeedE, it was all a bit of a blur, quite overwhelming.

Very moving story QH and Mrs QH, you should incredible fortitude to battle through to the finish line, well done.
  • I meant to say "showed" not should!

Brain not yet working, along with the rest of me....
  • QH & Mrs QH - fantastic achievement - well done!!! All my husband could say when I saw him at 16m and 19.5m was "don't stop, keep running" the bugger. I just wanted a hug... Although, I guess I was pretty smelly...!

It is truly incredible what we can make our bodies go through when we want something badly enough!! Especially after all that training. Great stuff!!
  • Just had my Marathon Treat a nice Sports Massage feel great now.

Some touching reads guys. Well Done To All Of You x

Can I ask is anyone feeling emotinal still about it all, or is it just me?

• Cazmo

Me and my wife are still very emotional about it all, just keep looking at each other and bursting into tears and hugging each other, must make an effort to meet up as your only a few miles down the road from us (hey we could even go out for a run together)
    If you click on my name you can send us an email

• Finally getting round to posting!

Well done everyone...just about caught up with all the posts, some great times achieved considering how hot it was - thought it was more about survival then actually getting a time!

Managed to cross the line in 4:54...so pissed off I stood around for the loo for 10 minutes!!!

Legs ache a bit still, but ready to get training for a summer of 10ks now :o)

Whats everyone else got planned?
  • Sorry to bring bad news to all of you, but Oliver, my little inspiration passed away today at 4.45pm. I think he let us run the marathon knowing we couldn't have done it if he went beforehand.

He isn't suffering anymore.
  • Dibbs

So sorry to hear of your loss.

(((((BIG HUG)))))

When is everyone starting some training again? I feel like i could do some now but not sure if this is to soon.

Raks - I have a few races coming up 5km,10kms and Half Marathons and I will be applying again for London Next Year even though I said I'd never run it again. I want to go and get a better time now!

• Dibbs - so sorry your hear that sad news. My thoughts are with you and Oliver's family.
  • went to the gym last night for an hour, could have done more but wanted to be home for holby city!!! Felt as if I could have run but resisted the temptation. Will prob do a couple of miles tonight though
  • Oh Dibbs, I'm so sorry!!! I thought of Oliver a few times during the run after asking after him at the start. Thinking of him gave me a kick when I was feeling sorry for myself...

Take care of yourself!!!

Kxx
  • On physio's orders, I'm not running for two weeks to give my legs/knees a proper chance to recover.

Back on the bike today though and got a massage booked for Friday with the physio so looking forward to that little episode of pain...!

I'm doing the British 10km on 1 July - I know it's rubbish organisation, it's hot and it's expensive, but I like the location... Then the London Duathlon in September. Looking for other events to fill in some of the gaps. That city vs city 10km on 3 June they were promoting at the expo looks fun - and it's local for me (Greenwich Park). Anyone else keen for that?