FLM 2007

Comments

• Hi All

Just done the Potter Half Marathon in Stoke on Trent finished in a time of 2hrs 17mins which Im pleased with as its warm today too! Not a PB but improved my time for that course by 18 minutes from 2 years ago!!

How you all getting on?

I've also started doing the Summer Series with our running club which takes place on Thursday Nights for 10wks its a laugh.
  • Hello everyone! Just thought I'd stick my head round the door and say hi!

Anyone got any autumn marathons planned? I'm planning on Leicester... except there seems to be some sort of hold up with publishing the course details, entry form and small details like that.

Happy summer running, all. Hard to think back to all the snowy, rainy, foggy, cold runs in FLM training, doesn't it?
  • Hello - would love to be out running but my body is still not playing ball... Hip issues continue and I'm booked in for x-rays and MRI on it on Friday. Fingers crossed I won't need surgery. :o(

Well done on your half cazmo - very jealous...

Londoners still up for lunch tomorrow?

K
  • Poor KayVee. Very, very good luck on Friday.
  • KeyVee, hope it all goes well on Friday.

I'm still up for lunch tomorrow.
  • wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭
    hey folks (sorry been on the Blackpool forum)
    Blackpool marathon update for you - managed to meet up c 2 forumites Manchester Dunc & Jogin Jon & their families for our own pasta party-followed by ice cream -if you cant before a marathon when can you .
    the race itself- i ran with Dunc for 17 miles - (well on course for a pb of 4hr 19)and AGAIN (dam & double dam) i coulnt keep up - depressing wathing the garimin go from 0.25miles ahead to behind - i'd set it for 4hr 29
    - finished in 4hr 37, last 4miles were TOUGH, keeping the pace better than 13min per mile ! but success was reversing the trend of Blackpool 05 & FLM 07 which were getting worse, success also =the first year of completeing 2 marathons, + success =completion of marathon number 8

- after the initial heat at 9am it did cool a touch and get overcast
    - race organisation TOP NOTCH, sufficient lucozade & water (in cups by order of healtsafety?)- but an impromtu water station at 18miles gave us bottles
    -my photos better than London (apart from not having big ben in background)see link enter number 643
    -like London this year -doing the same or simliar course does help you know what to expect
    -i would like to run this again in future to better the 4:30 perhaps a pb of 4:19
    -for cameraderie of runners great
    -for sights -sea good, hen/stag parties in the morning~ amusing, for support ~limited
    -pb potential -definately (depening on weather)
    -heard a rumour it may be April next year- great if you dont get into London, not so good if you want to better your London time.
    more info on my runningblog & will be added to

all best from Rob
  • Hello!! How are you all. Been a bit lax in posting. Sorry.

Been running, missed a few due to kids off etc. but struggling to be honest, although today was very warm, did struggle doing 6!

Any thoughts!

Dibbs
  • Re lunch today - Lay and Wheeler on Cornhill at 12:30 as per Alex's original suggestion?

Well done on Blackpool Rob - great photo's! Don't know how you lot can manage two marathons so close together - my body clearly can't cope with one!!

I seem to have built up a standard routine with all the physio's and sports docs I've been seeing of late. As they stand me there in my pants and eye me up and down I say "I know - I'm not built to be a runner" and they proceed to reel off a list of why this is the case. So far I have had:

- too heavy
    - hips too wide
    - calves too big
    - glutes too weak
    - and my personal favourite, I'm not Kenyan...!

Ahhh - you've got to laugh... :o)
  • Marathon news arrived the other day, going to enter again for next year ?

• hey don't wake up the beast, it is too early to talk about it yet!!
  • Silent - so you definitely abandoning us on the bench then? Nice work!!

I've entered but just to get the rejections ticking over - I know I won't be able to run it in 2008 but hopefully in 2009 or 2010 or the next time they'll have me... Knowing my luck, the year I get accepted and can run it, will be another "hottest on record"!

Ho hum - back to the physio...
  • Kayvee

Not abandoning the bench just yet, but got to aim high.

Haven't run all week as yet (man flu)

But just like yourself will enter just to get the rejections ticking over, have been rejected last 3 times, did it this year on a Gold Bond place, does that mean I have to start back from no rejections or am I still on 3?
  • Hi All,

Sent off the entry its my 4th year entering no doubt the rejection letter will appear yet again! I got in this year through my running club doubt i'd get it this year!

Having a really good time with my running at moment Half Marathon in Leek August Bank Hols the another at the end of September in Macclesfield.

• Phoned up the London marathon people and they have said to me it DOES NOT matter if you have taken a Gold Bond place, your rejections still run on, so even though I ran this year still got 3 rejections in the bank
  • do they need to be consecutive rejections, or if you got one and then got it the following year do they get reset?
  • well the marathon news says how many rejections since 2003, doesn't say anything about consecutive years
  • Well everybody

The closing date for applications is this Friday

Cheques will be cashed at the end of month

Whos getting excited at going through all this again

• Hey - thought we had all gone away good to hear back from someone again!

I was an early poster for FLM 07 - v ambitious back then even toyed with the idea of joining the sub 4 hour forum. Finished this year in 5.24. Chuffed none the less to finish - even more chuffed to find out a couple of weeks later that I finished whilst pregnant !! (Gives good excuse for unexpectedly slow time too !!!)

So I have applied again but with the view that either it will count as a rejection for next year or I will defer to FLM 09.

Anyway for those of you going for it for 08 all the best - I will be there cheering you on and probably by then starting running again to lose all that baby weight.

Good luck everyone

• I did the Great Eastern HM last weekend in 1h58.  Do you think its possible to get 4.15-4.30
  • PipH

The general rule of thumb is take your HM time, double it and add half an hour, so that should put in about 4.25, but with hard marathon training your HM time can come down.

• Hey guys, does anybody remember how much the ballot fee was this year.  I just been looking at my bank account and had a £32 cheuque cached.  From memory it was around that amount!!  Anybody else had a cheque go through?

PipH  - I ran a 1.58 half in March before FLM 07 and got a time of 4:26 so you should be up for a 4:15 - 4:30.

• Yep mine went thru today - £32! Suffered in heat this year (first marathon) but managed to post  4:42 (20-30 mins slower than expected). Hoping to make amends!
  • Ah so the training begins!! Lets hope for a cooler day next time.  This year was my first to, so maybe can improve my time.

Congrats Newbyrunner - when's your due date, you must be getting close if you were pregnant at FLM 07, well done on completing it while pregnant and in that heat!! 

• H there fellow runners!

This is my first FLM but i have been training since OCT! I have 2 1/2 marathons and a few 10 miles under my belt so I’m hoping to complete the FLM in 4.15-4.30?  What sort of pace are you guys running at the minute?  I'm doing an 8 min mile then dropping down to 8.30 after 10miles. Any tips to maintain the speed? image
  • Also anyone need a running buddy in Essex? i'm in Aveley.
  • I am a 4 20ish person and expect that it will be no better or no worse on the day.
  • Not sure if I am too slow for you lot.

I did the FLM in 2004 in 5 hours and 2 seconds.

I am doing Paris as I failed to get aplace for London .

I have been running again for 2 months and now in the 8 - 10 mile weekend run and did todays 10 miler in 1.38. milage range was 9,10 as a quick middle mile after a slow 10 min mile. I seem to run all my miles in the 9.30 to 10 range. 5k in 28 mins and 10k in 57 mins.

The sub 5 group is not very run focused its more a socail clubs full of kids chat. 

Mcmillan calculator has me at 4.33 for the mara and 2.09 for the half. I cannot run any formal races before Paris due to severe cashflow problems which is very stressful at present. Thanks to Lloyds bank for cancelling my overdrafts. XMAS is cancelled too. Sale of property fell thought and there goes xmas. The running is whjat is keeping me sane and having a plan and sticking to it. I am using Hal Higdons plan novice 2.

• Hal Higdons plans are excellent.  I have customised one to suit me and have used it for all the 7 marathons that I have run. 

It is difficult to compare training pace with racing pace.  I find, as a lot of people do, that with the support of the crowd, lots of runners all giving their best and an extra helping of adrenalin, that my race pace is a minute to a minute and a half faster than my most comfortable training pace.

Keep your chin up Meysey Man.

• Hi Guys! I am doing Paris 'cos I couldn't take being rejected if I applied for FLM!  This will be my first Marathon, 4 days before my 60th birthday.  Crazy or what?  Recent Half predicts just under 4.30 for a full, so am now starting serious training, but I had a leg stress fracture in the summer so am going very carefully!  Following RW Smartcoach programme. My speed is rubbish, but I think I should have the stamina, given enough training.  Running around Kenilworth - any others near here?
  • meysey Man  my training runs are usually 10 min miling for my longer runs oand even slower when they go over 10 miles.

I still have a half best of 1:58:43 and I know I can go sub 4:30 so I wouldn't worry if I was you.

Rest day today as I have ran every day Sunday through to yesterday, not far each day but just getting out to start my 5 day a week running as per my schedule.

Dean if you are running those times I would think you should be in a faster group.... What is your best 1/2 marathon time??