Options

FLM 2007

1747576777880»

Comments

• Options

I got 1.52 for the brentwood half marathon this year with limited triaining, i don't want to push myself to hard on the day, new to this site so not too sure where i should be? 

Any advice is welcomed. image

• Options
    hi guys, just about to go out for my long run of 7 miles after far too much eating and drinking over christmas - thank god for running!!  I have run half in 2 13 - does that make me too slow for you guys in this group??  Very excited about FLM, although have to raise £1500 for children with leukemia, this seems more stressful than my running schedule!!  Any top tips welcomed on that one.
  • Options

Hi Lucy. I know what you mean. I ran for The Blue Cross in 2004. I hated the fundraising bit.

However can i suggest mobile phone recycling. There are lots of places that buy phones of you and they pay all postage costs etc 2 mains ones are envirofone and mopay. Ebay as well but costs and hassle not so clever as much as when i did it. You would not believe how many phones people have that they dont know what to do with. I got a photo in local paper as it was a different story and ended up recycling hundreds of phones.

How about setting up your justgiving page and then advertise that as much as possible. Also get some business cards from vistaprint  which costs about £8 for 250 cards and get your justgiving details on there.

Finally write to garden centres ( as there are really busy in March / early april ) and see if you can rattle a tin outside. Wear your running gear. You only have to say London Marathon and coins follow

Those worked for me and I raised over £3500 and was top fundraiser, but will never do it again. Once was enough. I am doing paris as I was rejected for FLM and will not do the fundraising lark. I get quite angrythat you are expected to raise £1500 and given no help whatsoever, just a stupid a4 sheet of paper with ideas like do a jumble sale, or sell your old unwanted items on ebay.

• Options

Cheers for that, really good ideas, i will try them all!!!  well done for raising so much, makes my target look a bit more bearable!

Thinking of doing the Paris half marathon in Feb 08 - ever done that one?  Thought would add a bit of excitement to my training. 

• Options

Thanks for the advice on fundraising, Meysesy Man!  I've got a Guide Dogs place for the FLM and I'm struggling to come up with ideas beyond my work colleagues, friends and family... which will fall way short of £1200! I've run two half marathons, but this will be my first. I'm using the Hansons' program Steve used from the Phedippidations Podcast. Any fans out there?

• Options
    Hey Gang...noticed not very many posts since december so thought I would kick start it back again....

I may well be in the wrong forum - but the sub 5hr forum isn't working today.

It is my first Marathon this year, running in the FLM on April 13th.

I am thinking about what my aimed time should be - a lot of people are saying just aim to finish, but I would like to try and aim for a time but not sure what is realistic!

I would LOVE to say I had run a 4:30 marathon - but I am not sure if this is physically possible - I have only been training for 2 weeks - otherwise I would definitely like to aim for a sub 5 hour marathon!

What are people's thoughts on the possibility of this?

Any help appreciated, and sorry if I am in wrong forum!

Cheers.

• Options

I am in exactly the same boat Alex - would really like to do 4:30, but my best HM is only 2:13 so far!  prob hope for anything under 5:00 - but you are right, to finish will also be fantastic on it's own!!

I'm just off out for my long run - 9 miles today, so hopefully the rain will hold off.

Happy training!

• Options
    Good Luck.

I have my long run later as well - prob no more than 6 miles, maybe even 4-5 as I am running for 65 Minutes - at my pace I am not sure how far I will be able to run, but I'll let you know!

• Options

have you only been running for 2 weeks in total - if so you are doing great already, took me about 6 months to be able to run a 10k, it will all fall in to place eventually, nothing like a marathon for a challenge!

Had a great run, except for a really horrible hill where i had to walk for 2 mins, and the wind in my face for the last 2 miles wasn't to helpful either.

Look forward to hearing how you got on today.

I'm putting my feet up now with a "nice cup of tea" and some banana cake. (homemade i might add!) 

• Options
    Hi Guys. I'm 52 and trying for my first marathon. I've run two halfs at 2:04 and 2:09, but I was pretty beat after those.... 26 is a VERY long way!   I'm running for an hour or an hour and half every day, but I just really struggle for the motivation and time to do the 10+ miles long runs that are in my programme.  I'm runing the Watford half on 3 Feb, so that should help.  Are you all doing long runs already? 
  • Options

only doing one mile more every weekend, currently on 9 miles.  That should get me to around 20 miles prior to the marathon, which is what most people seem to advise.  I am doing the regime from Marathon news, running for four times a week, but only for 30-45 mins for the weekday ones - any more than that and i would be knackered.  Can feel my legs working hard already.  "better to undertrain and have energy than overtrain and get sick".

Drusy, great HM times, i'm only 33 and can't seem to improve much on my speed!

• Options

Thanks Lucy,

I've been listening to the Phedippidations Podcast and following advice to just work on building my base now... I just want to make sure I don't get injured and miss out on a chunk of training.  So no speedwork right now!

It was really hard to get out to run today in that rain...even with the dog pestering me!

• Options

i know what you mean - i run along the promenade in eastbourne and was able to lean back in to the wind on Mon morning and not fall over backwards!  Couldn't even see where we were running when heading into the wind and rain - felt great afterwards though once i'd reached normal body temp again!  Great for the complexionimage

Keep up the good work - can't believe it's sunny and no wind today, which sod's law is my day with no running!!

• Options
    hiya everyone, i've posted a few times on the 4.30 - 5 thread, I reckon a sub 4.30 is in me on a good mara day!!!! (got a 4.36 PB at Loch Ness in Oct 07) but don't think for a minute I would get one in London!!!! lol Am planning on an 'enjoyable' run round lol
  • Options

HI DRUSY LUCY AND FELLOW RUNNERS KEEP ON TRAINING AS LONG AS YR FEET R MOVING FOR TWO HRS JOGG RUN OR WALK U WILL B OK TAKE IT EASY I  WALKED JOGGED MY FIRST MARATHON AND TOOK 8 PLUS HOURS TO COMPLETE WAS SHATTERED SHOCKED COULDNT BELIEVE I ACTUALLY DONE IT SO THIS YR I HAVE BEEN TRAINING HOPING TO DO BETTER AND RAISE FUNDS FOR  GET KIDS GOING C MY SITE AT WWW.JUSTGIVING / MALKIAT SINGH  I AM62 AND ONLY TOOK RUNNINGSERIOUSLY INOCTOBER2007 I HAVE TAKEN PART IN FEW 10KS AND MILERS ALWAYS COME LAST BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! MANAGE TO FINISH AND ALL THE TIME I AM IMPROVING THE PERSONAL BEST SO IN YR FIRST RACE AIM TO FINISH ALSO DEVIDE YR RUN INTO FIVE MILES CHUNKS U WILL SAIL THROUGH I AM IN COLCHESTER ESSEX SO WILL TAKE PART IN GT BENTLY NEAR CLACTON HALF THEN THERE IS HALF MARATHON IN BRENTWOOD AND SO ON OK FOLKS BEST WISHES TAKE CARE DONT INJURE YRSELF AND GET DISAPPOINTMENT I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO GET A PLACE IN F L M   BYE     MALKIAT SINGH RUNNING NAME    MALKIE 

• Options

Hi All,

I have just completed my 10 mile weekend run and I have really empty legs!!  My half marathon times are much slower than Drusy, I do hope I meet my target.  Long runs not giving me as much grief as the speed training, struggling to meet the targets set in RW sub 4:30 schedule.  Feel like we are a long way into the training now, hope I still have time to achieve the speed targets.  So glad It was not raining this weekend, so fed up with the rain.

XX

• Options

hello fellow runners any help or guidance last sunday long run 8miles then walk 8miles knee playing up have been massaging today jogged14miles came back foot paining wat shall i do monday is my rest day actually i was going to do hill runs  HELP ADVICE  thanks   malkit running for  KIDS GET GOING FLM 2008 ON 3RD GT BENTLEY HALF