Saturday 29 April

Comments

• Hope everybody has recovered from FLM by now.

Had a chance to watch the BBC coverage. Very interesting to see Deena Kastor's arm movement (she heel strikes).

T&F season starts. First 5000m of the year for me, I wasn't planning to run, just helping out the team. Did LFOTM 5k yesterday, the speed wasn't really there, but still managed a SB. Looks quite promissing, around the same time last year I was 2 minutes slower.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done URR.

What was your time?
  • Afternoon all!

Speedie - srry to hear about your grandad

Cath - enjoy the Lakes

Good luck everyone racing today/this weekend.

Think we must be in a weather warp here - it might be nice in Derby and the West Midlands but it's cold and grey here in the middle in Nottingham!

What: 2.5 mile run d&d, 50 or so miles on the bike later
    Why: Start of mini-taper
    Last hard: thursday
    Last rest: Monday

Thanks for everyone's suggestions re: the "two races in a week" situation ... still undecided, especially as I want sub 8 hours in Fred Whitton and don't want to prejudice that ... but I do so love fell racing ...
  • Afternoon

What: Hill reps on bike (up to 96% HR)
    Why: Hamstrings still too sore to run after FLM. Good way of maintaining cardio fitness

Tried running yesterday, but it brought back vividly how my hamstrings felt in the last 2 miles of the FLM. Need to give it a few more days. Everything else feels fine.
  • Afternoon All,

Speedie: sorry the hear about your grandfather. At least he had a good life didn't suffer

LizzyB: I wouldn't think a 6 miler would effect you, if you recover well between. It'd be a good sharpener!

H'wood: Well done on another PB

URR: On the way back after the 'thon

So abingdon's the master's championship... and I'll be a V45 by then... and it's just up the road... Hmmm? Is it worth the sack and a divorce?

What: 6m recovery
    Why: recovery, but still running too fast and legs felt it
    Last Hard: Sunday
    Last Rest: Tuesday

enjoy the bank holiday
  • Afternoon all.

Speedie...very sorry to hear of your loss...

Good luck to all racers...Rory...I am sure you will be rewarded with a quick time after your hard mara training...and without the dawback of having the flu...good luck

Virgil...maybe see you tomorrow at Monklands Half mar...what time are you hoping for? I have lost some weight and had a very short haircut since the pic on the right..

Holywood...congrats on your new pb...well done..

Micksta...you are begining to ound very much like BR, Pantman & me for that matter ;-)

URR...well done on your SB..."pace wasn't there" means lightening fast to most of us..

Me?

what: 5m @sub135
    why: easing off before tomorrow
    last hard: Thurs
    last rest: Wed

Monklands Half Marathon tomorrow..plan to go for 7 min/mile...which may be too fast (it is the pace that I ran my 10k pb 7 months ago)..so I could completely blow up...still, gotta give it a try, eh?

d

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Morning.

What - 75 miles on the bike, went out with the chain gang over Alport Heights, going quite well, then carried on with a mate up into Derbyshire towards Bakewell, went over Rowsley Bar (very steep hill) and got lost round Ashover, eventually found the A61 to Matlock and back down the A6.

Lizzy - I think it depends on how used you are to running at the moment. As I'm not doing much/any running right now I personally wouldn't chance running at all this week - but if I was run fit then I think I'd probably go for it. I'm planning on racing/time trialling on the bike Tuesday and Thursday though I know that doesn't have the same impact.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Oh good luck David - be interesting to see your mile splits - but if MtB can run at 10k pace for a marathon you may as well try if for a half!
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    afternoon.

speedie, sorry for your loss.

Paul, good luck to you and Jo

AJH - fantastic about your mum and rfl! My mum is just a tad older and has been prescribed beta blockers. She can barely move now.

Welcome new people.

can't believe I'm worrying about Abingdon accommodation already - it's 6 months away!

I've entered the Ranelagh Richmond Half on 14th May. Arrrrrghhh!

Well, I was pleasantly surprised that my doc took my worries about my running seriously although she looked at it in terms of breathlessness rather than high HR. She thinks it might be this catarrh she says I have and prescribed me a steroid nasal spray. I'll see how it goes.

What: nothing
    why: cba, too much beer last night
    last hard: thursday
    last rest: yesterday

Have a good day all.
  • Afternoon all,

Any news yet from Paul and Jo?

Well done on yet another PB Hollywood. That 60 seconds will come!

DFagan. A half marathon? Fair dues to you. Have confidence that you can sustain 7m/m after your performance in Paris.

Quick Race Report for anyone suffering withdrawal from last weekend.

RTE 5 Mile (which finished on the set of Ireland's leading soap, Fair City)! First race since a disappointing marathon in Paris. Still stiff from interval session mid-week. Not in PB shape (PB 29.12) but hoping to at least go better than second best 5m time (30.57), and will be v pleased with sub-30.

Race is 4 laps plus a bit.

Mile 1. Quite comfortable, but no clue as to pace. See club mate who I knwo is faster than me, and make crazy decision that he must be having a bad day and go past him. 5.41 AHR 165

Mile 2. This is hard work. Can't believe how long 5 miles suddenly seems. 6.00 AHR 176

Mile 3. Oh dear. Clubmate wasn't having a bad day as he eases past me. Past half way though, so try to keep him in sight. 6.02 AHR 181

Mile 4. Dig in Rory. Sub-30 is still a possibility. Clubmate still in sight. Just. 5.59 AHR 185

Mile 5. Empty the tanks to maintain the pace in last mile, finishing HR at 190. 5.58 AHR 186

Time 29.41. Very happy with that. Clubmate was 3 mins ahead of me over 10k last summer, and only 15 secs today. And I'm not far off what I think was my best run over any distance.

Black tie dinner tonight at which I will know noone other than my partner. Will be even tougher than today's race.

Enjoy rest of the weekend everyone, and good luck to racers and anyone still on the 'long run' treadmill.
  • Sodahead - congrats on getting your qualification - what level was it?

Popsider - sorry to hear about your granddad.

Urban - you sound like an ideal guy to have on the team!

Hollywood - congrats on PB and well done to Rory M.

What: Jumped in local regioanl race and ran 43:18 on undulating 12.2km course. Ran it controlled keeping hr in low 170s for first half and picking up a bit in second half without killing myself. 7th overall. Averaged 174 hr throughout compared to 179 last weekend when raced flat out. 30 min warm up and 15 min warm down made it good afternoon out.

Simon
  • Evening

Sodahead: I have done the level 1 course and enjoyed that, wouldn't mind doing the L2 either. Enjoy!

What: 6M tempo run
    Why: LT
    Last hard: today
    Last rest: 1 month 13days ago

6M - 34.14
    Pace: 5.42m/m

Nearly hit target pace for my tempo run, aim is to be hitting 5.30m/m for tempo runs, managed 5.42m/m. with a 5.06 last mile!
    Really good run, fastest I have run all year, showing improvmnts since 4 weeks ago, as i am just finishing 4 weeks hard training, at 80M's a week!
    Feeling really postive for the racing season. Got an easy week next week which I'm looking forward to, got a 1.5M race on tues night.

Enjoy the bank holdiday weekend.
  • Morning all,

Sodahead congrats on passing, sounds like hard work, but I'm sure you'll get a kick out of coaching

Hollywood- great PB, not far to go. Do you train for 5k? I have never trained specifically, but my times are coming down (a tad over 23 last time).

What: Heavt Montain bike session later followed by trail run.
    Why: MtB race next weekend.
    Last Hard: Last night

Have a great day and weekend, hope the weather keeps sensible for the 3P.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    just popping in so haven't had time to catch up..

What: 10 miles on country lanes this morning: 74-75 mins
    Why: it was a lovely morning

enjoy the sunshine!
  • Soda Well done Soda for getting the qualification.

Hilly 16:41 yesterday. Brilliant result in the FLM btw, ahead of Jane Laws. You really know how to run the marathon.

SiT Sigh :) Our club has not really the deepth and breadth to compete in a league. Some distance guys doing hammer and high hurdles etc.

Rory Sound run.

Hollywood Nice one!

Saw MikeB at the track, spectating during the 5000m. He didn't fancy to run :( Had no clue about who I was running against. MikeB mentioned some wonderkid from his club would give his debut. Took this more as a training run, let the others set off (too fast as usual). After 2 laps settled in 80s laps, running a bit on my own, then closed in on Aldershot guy. Then pulled in another guy, another one. Cruised around at some stage running on my own and my club mate was 100m ahead, closed in on him lap after lap. Last lap and 300m to go started to kick and overtook him too. 1st B string, but then got downgraded to 4th A string. 16:31, fairly pleased with that and good paced effort, achieved all what I wanted.

• great race Rory. Easily under 30mins. well done.

i too missed the news of your grandad speedie. sympathies.

6miles done today along canal and trails. Averaged 8:04 pace which including the 2 8:30 odd miles through the woods is pleasing.
  • sorry, well done to URR on your 5000m race.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

Congrats Sodahead
    Great Run and PB Hollywood
    Well done Rory M sub 30 is always great especially when you heve been well.
    Well done too SiT

What - Fleeced by the kids (Rest day)
    Why - shopping for trainers and shoes etc, etc, (No rest believe me)
    Last Hard - Shopping today (and having to eat all that lovely pizza at lunchtime)
    Last Rest - meant to be today - well it is from running anyway.

Take care
  • I'm off now to my running club annual dinner. See you tomorrow!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Evening all.

Haven't had a chance to get online the past two days - work course on Thursday and Friday, which was interesting but draining so I didn't feel like logging on when I got home. Hope everyone's well and fingers crossed for Paul and Jo!

Haven't run at all since FLM last Sunday (why does it feel as though it was SO much longer ago than that?) I always make myself take a complete week off after a marathon - feel I owe it to my body after all the hard work it's done. Quite enjoyed the rest up until about Wednesday, but after that it's dragged a bit - can't quite work out what to do with myself during the no-man's land between getting in from work and getting the dinner ready! Thursday and Friday were exhausting work-wise and I particularly missed the destressing value of a run. Looking forward to getting out there again next week :-)

What: Rest - if you can call a shopping day in the West End with my mum restful!
    Why: Post-marathon recovery and recuperation.
    Last hard: FLM.
    Last rest: All week!

Have a good evening and take care.
  • Evening all, saw Urban down the track too!

for the record, made up the numbers in the Pole Vault, Hammer, Javelin, Long Jump, Triple Jump, High Jump, 110 high hurdles (quite pleased with my 23s), 400m hurdles, 100m and 200m.

Only serious run out was the 3000m steeple chase which I was very pleased to win in 10:04, which is within 10 seconds of my p.b. a week after the marathon and after a decathlon of sorts!

Now need another couple of weeks to work out what the plan is for later on this year.

Well run Rory and any other racers.
  • Hi guys,

I am back in Plymouth now after what seems like days of travelling but is less than 24 hours! I have not read since Monday but offer a collective well done and commiserations and get well to those who need them. I don't think I can manage a whole week of reading back but will be posting again regularly now.

What: nothing today
    Why: travelling and did my first century ride yesterday :)
    Last hard: bits yesterday but it was generally great.

I have a date with Abingdon too after I had to pull out last year, but will decide after the IM.

Happy bank holiday all.
  • Hi there all, did not get a chance to post here for almost one week, hope you still remember me!

I started a new job with 8-hours meetings and then had to catch up with life, and we even had a new oak floor fitted at home, as nrg-b said, it does not rain it pours!

It took me two very long sessions to catch up with the thread.... too many comments to make, and really all the flm race report were such a good read. Well done to all, and particularly the ladies (sorry I'm gender biased here) - Hilly, Minks, Hippo, Beanz and Cath (hope I havent' left any of you out).

Hilly well done also on the new job.

I know it was almost one week ago but I want to say how nice it was to meet so many of you at Mudchute: nrg-b (my new training guru), Snap, Hollywood, Mava, TwoTon, Podro, Hippo, etc. You're all great and I had a wonderful wonderful time.

Oh, yes, training... I managed to fit in a couple of 4-milers this week, by getting up at 5.30 instead of my 'usual' 6 am, and even a longer speed session, but

for today:

1,200 m swim, bodypump
    why: strong triceps good, bingo wings bad.
    last hard; yesterday speed session was no picnic
    last rest: 8 July 1968
  • Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    evening

soda - well on the qualification - that master's website lists Abingdon as 15th October - 22nd on here and on the club site!

Stellina - sorry we did not meet at mudchute - I was a bit dazed when I got there!

Rory - well run

race, run or rest well tomorrow people
  • Rory...great run...just shows that, if you had been well, a sub 3hr mara in Paris was on...

URR...great 5K there...have never raced this distance..plan to do one at the end of May

d