Sub 3:15 - FLM 2009

Comments

• Aberdonian,

On the long runs I'd think about trying to get up around the 20 mile mark soon, using the base you already have built from FLM. Ensure you have an 'easy' week in every 4 where you drop down to say 15. if you can make these longer runs fairly routine then you'll be able to concentrate on mid long runs at marathon pace and the quality work as well.

Your race times are interesting given that the 3k & 4 mile (total approx 9.4k) give you a significantly faster ave pace than the 10k race so there should hopefully be some upside on the shorter stuff as well. Hope the long jump, shot put, pole vault and other 'less standard' types cross training you were doing last time does not get in the way!!
  • Thanks Humph, and yes the "other stuff" continues. Club Long Jump and Shot putt Champs tonight amd British M50 High Jump, Long Jump and Triple Jump Champs at beginning of July. These are done on memory though, without any specific training apart from the many miles of marathon training.

I've now done the sums with the Predictor calculator on my recent races, they come out as follows:

3Km: Predicts 3:18:41
    4Miles: Predicts 3:16:44
    10Km: Predicts 3:15:41

So, the longer it gets the better the prediction, but also as time goes by I'm getting better. So whichever variable I choose, time or distance, it's going in the right direction, but clearly still work to do. I'm feeling positive (at this stage!) Not least because at the end of each race I've felt there was more there and I just need experience to give me the confidence to push myself that bit harder.
  • Susie,

Welcome to the club on the side of the heath - I'm a member too. From December time there are some great Sunday long runs building up to twenty miles or so. I also find the speed training very helpful.

I managed 3.03 this year so I'll be aiming for a sub-3 in 2007.

I don't tend to do a great deal of running over the summer (too hot!). Are you currently training with the club?

Cheers

Jack
  • Doing my first marathon for 23 years in September (New forest), hoping to break the 3:15 barrier so I can get GFA for FLM 2007 entry.

Been doing spring 1/2 maras up to now and felt I needed a bit more of a challenge.

My biggest problem so far is doing long runs in the heat and pollen as I usually only do short speed training runs over the summer before building up the milleage over the winter, so having real problems keeping hydrated, I think I'm gonna need a bigger water bottle!!
  • Will try and keep up to date with this thread this time!

Did my first marathon at FLM 2006 in 3.23:07 - was aiming for sub 3.15 but was unable to run for 4 weeks only 7 weeks before due to DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Syndrome). Still pleased with the time and was on a high for a month!!

Currently sidelined due to hernia op 2 weeks ago - was told I wouldn't be able to do any running for 6 weeks but already jogging 3 miles a day at 8 min/mile pace!

Looking for a quick 10k time in September at Trafford 10k (current PB 38.12) and also looking for a PB at GNR (current PB 1.29 at Blackpool 2006).

Really hoping that I get a place in FLM 2007. Was lucky last year - first time applicant and I got in, although still decided to run for a charity and raised £2500. If I don't get a place then I will go in the club (Stockport) ballot and keep my fingers crossed!
  • Hi all, Thanks for bumping this one up Eric and best of luck with the rehab.

Not much to report from me other than a load of little niggly injuries which whilst not serious have generally hampered progress recently. Might run a 5 mile race Friday night but low expectations, if I do it at all, then again might surprise myself! If fully fit would have been looking for sub 31 mins so we'll see.......
  • Well back to piling in the miles and speed and hill work too. Had British Masters Athletics Champs weekend before last and won Triple Jump gold and High Jump silver, so marathon training must be good for something! Just over 11 weeks to Loch Ness Marathon now so back into a planned build up. 3hrs, 3 hr 30 min schedules are fairly easy to find but 3.15 seem to be less common, anyone know where I'd find one they can recommend on the web?
  • Aberdonian, I'd swear by the schedules in the Advanced marathoning book by Pfitzinger & Douglas. As far as downloadable stuff goes, try looking at Mike Gratton's hard training thread. I think his schedule is on the 2:09 events website and can be adapted down a bit if the mileage is too scary. The RW ones look light on mileade to me but then I prefer mid to high mileage which may not suit everyone. Best of luck and let us know if / when you find a good one.

Personal update: New 5 mile PB last week but a bit disappointed with run & time at the end as I should have done better. Injuries and lack of speedwork did for that in the end. 31:38 on my watch. Still computes well in MacMillan calculator though, something around 3:06 which I'd certainly take if offered it now.
  • Entry form filled in and sent off, here we go again. Another long winter of pavement plodding!.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Crikey it's early to be thinking about times. There's a heatwave + a whole winter of icy freezy early morning painful training to be got out of the way first.
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    .....and an autumn marathon
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    ...and a bracing 10 miler at the start of January to blow away the cobwebs...

I can hardly wait
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I like to pop in to this thread.

I ran 3:31 in this year's FLM (3rd marathon, previous 3:43 & 3:41) and would like to train for sub 3:15 for 2007. I have never done speed training and usually build my marathon training up with lots of endurance stuff. This has worked well but I'd like to see what I can do with adding speed to the endurance. I'm not confident of getting sub 3:15 this time but would enjoy reading about all your training and asking for bits of advice here and there.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Speed is indeed the key Minni

I make a big effort for the FLM this year by doing more speedwork than ever before. Specifically I built in some speed endurance - so on a typical 7 mile run I would go fairly steady for the first half then quite a bit faster for the second half. Rather than intervals or short speedwork this gave me 3 1/2 miles at a time of really pushing it at about 45 sec/mile faster than target race pace. This paid off with dramatically improved half marathon times and a PB in the FLM. This is ONLY ONE WAY to do speedwork, you need to mix it up and find what's best for you. Good luck, you are on the right track.
  • PaoliniPaolini ✭✭✭
    May I join? I ran 3:28 for the 2005 FLM and was training for a sub 3:15 this year, until a stress fracture put paid to that. I'm just back to running after a long lay-off but I'm optimistic I could still get under 3:15 next year. Meanwhile I'm thinking about an autumn marathon (Dublin?) but not sure I'll be able to get the mileage in before then. Feels like I'm pretty much starting from scratch again!
  • Minni,

Your looking at a 40 second a mile improvement over the whole race, possible but you are right that you'll need to tweak your programme to get there.

Many ways to do it, some of us maybe could be a bit lighter (Me!!) or effecient, have a better race strategy or execute it better etc. Lots of ideas hopefully coming over the build up.

Maybe concentrate on improving shorter distance times in the next few months to enhance your basic speed then look at a mixture of tempo runs & long reps but without forgoing the endurance work that has worked well before.

Poacher, always nice to have a goal, that's why we're on this thread in the first place ;-)

Good luck Paolini, hope the injuries are well behind you now. It's been tough to keep any decent mileage up over the hot spell but I'm in better shape than this time last year so that's a start at least. $ straight ballot rejects, maybe my luck will be in this time?
  • PaoliniPaolini ✭✭✭
    Cheers, Humph. Btw does $ = 4? Last year was my fifth attempt and I got in, so I guess the odds are in your favour.
  • oops, yes $ = 4, over zealous use of the shift key!

Guess the law of probability offers hope, I assume you have a deferal from this year?
  • PaoliniPaolini ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have a deferred place. I had to send the cheque in June, and it's been cashed so I'm definitely in - provided I can avoid injury!
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Minni - you can do it!
    I ran 3:33:29 in Edinburgh 2005, and improved to 3:15:49 by FLM 2006....

For Edinburgh I was running 36 miles/week on average. The improvement came from upping the mileage (not by a lot - I did around 44 miles/week average for FLM), but also by consistently running around 40 miles/week from July 2005 onwards rather than letting things slip a bit after edinburgh and then having to build back up again. i also added in swimming 2-3 times a week which i think made a big difference to my fitness without increasing the risk of injury.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your comments.

Poacher - I like your way of speed training, especially with such good results.

K9 - I'm running about 25miles per week at the moment but will up that once I come back from my hols in a couple of weeks time. What speed sessions did you do in your 40mpw?

Humph - I would love to be half a stone lighter, but I train hard, eat a very healthy diet and don't really eat any junk food (although I like the odd glass of wine...) and my weight never changes, so I'm stuck with it.

Keep the tips coming it's doing wonders for my motivation!
  • Reckon i'm looking for a fairly similar improvement to you Minni. I did this years FLM in 3:35 but would love to put in a big improvement, I finished feeling like I could have done sooo much better, am doing Notts in Sept, no real training schedule just cranking up the miles and trying to build a little from the FLM, if I can get under 3:30 I'll be happy and reckon it will set me up for that big push for '07. My 10k, half and training would suggest a faster time now I just need to do it in a race!
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Minni - I trained for FLM using the RW sub 3:30 schedule (roughly) which has an interval session on a Tuesday, and usually a tempo run on the Thursday. This seemed to work for me - although I did find that as the long runs got up to 20(+) my interval sessions went a bit to pot. My legs were just too tired to do them properly.

I'm training for Berlin at the moment and I'm using the RW sub 3:15 schedule - currently at week 7.
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Minni - I put on weight when marathon training! I just want to eat constantly. (and I have a very sweet tooth so eat lots of bad things). having said that, a couple of people at work have asked me if I've been losing weight so i reckon the weight gain is muscle. My leg muscles look HUGE whilst the rest of me is wasting away!!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    K9 - you're an inspiration!
  • CurtainsCurtains ✭✭✭
    hi folks , I see the entry mag came out last week and i've posted it off today.

keeps fingers crossed for a ballet entry this year.

anyway back to the running 4 days into the start of my training ( 5th time i've started this year Grrrrrrrrr). I need motivation and a kick up the a*se from you lot to keep me going.

let this be the first of many traing posts :)

• Hello Folks,

I ran 3:28 at Lochaber in April, and am hoping to get the FLM GFA (3:15) at Boston next year, with a view to running London in 2008. It' s a bit of a challenge, but if I don' t make it in Boston I' ll probably look for another (flat!) marathon in the autumn of 2007.

I run 3 times a week; TUE tempo run 6-10 miles, THUR club session (hills or short/long intervals) and a longish run 10-15 miles on Saturday. I am trying to do all the long runs at 8m/m pace or faster, which i think is a bit faster than usual, but seems to work for me. How fast do you guys run the long one?

I really believe the mental side is key; I have run 1:36 for a HM, so my mantra is "I have the pace ...just need to double the endurance!"

"just" is a big word though, isn' t it?!

• K9K9 ✭✭✭
    My long runs are 8m/m pace, and I try to keep it fairly even. This is a comfy pace for me. I'd struggle to deliberately slow it down further as it doesn't feel right.
  • Hey all,

Good to see the thread hasn't died.

Was a 100m a week commuter cyclist before being posted 1m from home.

Took up running in March and averaged 28mpw completing Edinburgh in 3.19.52 back in June.

Now have the bug. Am doing Cardiff in October and lurked a bit on the sub 3 thread but realistically would be happy with 3.05 ish before big assault on sub 3 next year.

Looking back through the thread, I was in Rome last year over marathon weekend. 18/03/07 next year. Was so jealous that I am entering next year. Also doing Windermere in May with brother in law, and have psoted flm entry!!

Good to see everyone training hard.

K9- i too am eating like a horse. Anyhting and everything. If I didn't I'd be about 9 stone!!

Just entering week 3 P and D 12 weeks schedule. Have substituted rest days for 5/6m recovery so should average 60 ish a week till Cardiff.

Feels good to post!!
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Odeon!
    That's an awesome first marathon - and wasn't it a hideously hot day this year? - well done :o)