Sub 3:15 - FLM 2009

Comments

• Paolini
    I wouldn't get hung up on what Bruce Tulloh says, just keep training and try and prove his research wrong. There are blokes in local clubs around me running 2:50 marathons in their late fifties. The thought of catching them keeps me going.
  • PaoliniPaolini ✭✭✭
    Hamertime - yeah, I remember you from Hilly's thread, till I stressed out! Better luck this time for both of us!
  • PaoliniPaolini ✭✭✭
    DN - Thanks for the encouragement (I need it at the moment - it takes longer and longer to come back from injury!). I did a pb for 10 miles in the Canterbury 10 in January (before my injury) and even tho it was only by a few seconds it made me realise I could still improve.
  • Well, you guys are all much faster than me, but then again I' m just a 50 year old kid who' s only been running a couple of years, so my prime is definitely ahead of me :-)

Anyone else arrived at this point in their life through the route of ..

mid-life crisis--> give up the fags(and "jazz" fags) --> put on the beef -- take up jogging to take off the beef -->unwittingly stir up the competitive beast lurking within --> try a 10k --> like it --> the word "marathon" enters consciousness --> run a marathon --> enjoy it --> notice there is a way round the FLM ballot (i.e. GFA) etc., etc.,

• put on the beef -->
    mid-life crisis-->
    take up jogging to take off the beef (3st)-->
    unwittingly stir up the competitive beast lurking within -->
    try a 5k -->
    sort of like it -->
    the word "marathon" enters consciousness -->
    run a marathon to prove I can do one without walking-->
    hate it (last 10k took over an hour) 3:25 -->
    run one again cos felt I could do better ---->
    Get the GFA 3:06--->
    Hooked? (addicted?)----->

Turn 50 at Xmas. Currently running 80-90 miles per week in the build up to Abingdon.

• Dull Napolian

Thanks for your words of encouragement and advice about Cardiff. Yes, the last 2k of Vienna did involve a slight grdient, but I was on a bit of a high because I obviously knew by then that I was going to unexpectedly break the 3:15 'gfa' barrier - so I didn't really mind! I have run just under 3:05 twice (Fareham & Gosport Marathon), but as I said that was 17/18 years ago. I'm not so sure about ever breaking 3 hours, though All my shorter race times would suggest that I wont!

Poacher

My prep for Vienna is not what you want to hear. But others might be interested. It frightens me to look back at what I put in! I clocked up 1,058 miles from 1 January to begining of May (an average of 8.4 miles a day – never managed that before!). In terms of long runs, I did two 20-milers prior to the Bramley 20 in February; then the Combe Gibbet XC 16 in March; a 22-miler (three loops of my regular morning run) five weeks prior to race; a 29-miler (four loops) with three weeks to go; another 22-miler two weeks to go, and a 15-miler one week before.

It worked for me, but I did get shin splints the day after the Marathon (when, foolishly, I went for a short 'recovery' run! I'm now on a much reduced regime and need to get back into some serious training again.

OtR
  • Lots of people have posted since my last visit.

Good to see you all here. At a spritely 31, I feel that I have a good 30 year career ahead of me.

Lol

Hope training going well.

Cardiff in 8 weeks so in endurance phase at mo.

Have Rome, FLM, and Windermere - Mar, April, May next yr already (OCD or what?)
  • Thats nothing Odeon, I will be doing 3-5 marathons and at least one ultra before I next race a marathon.

I didn't tell them this when I went down my local club for the first time this evening though!
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    I'm feeling kinda youthful at 35 Odeon ;o)
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Vienna marathon sounds nice....and a good excuse to visit Vienna.

I'm planning the Perth marathon after London as an excuse to go down under!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Serious stuff, OTR, you deserve a medal just for fitting all that in round the rest of life's demands.

I'm thinking of using the FURST plan (if that's the right name) at some stage - it's basically 3 runs a week - the trade off is that you don't train much, and have a lot of recovery time, and may well avoid injury as a result - but when you do run you go quite fast and there are no junk miles. I think there's something in it.

My next race NY mara in Nov, but more for fun than for a fast time.

Good luck to all with training and racing
  • OTR

Your 3.08 in Vienna, makes the qualifying standard for the UK rankings for a V50. Anything sub 3:10 counts. You may want to log in your name on here, and show it off to your grandchildren.

http://athleticsdata.com/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=Mar&year=2006&agegroup=V50&sex=O

Dull
  • Dull

Many thanks for alerting me to the rankings - I had no idea that I would qualify. I have submitted my details!

Poacher

Fortunately I'm a 'morning person' so do all my training quite early - usually set of around 0600hrs. Fortunately this means running doesn't impact too much on 'lifes other demands' - except that I tend to lack energy in the afternoon!

K9

Yes Vienna was chosen because it was a City my wife (not a runner) and I were keen to visit. So I was encouraged to take it on! 'Perth' is in a different league, though!

OtR
  • Managed 3.14.38 this year at FLM with the help of the sub 3.15 FLM thread, think the pacing was just about spot on!!!!!
    Have just posted of my GFA form so here I go again.
    Sub 3.10 is the target this year although sub 3 is a fantasy lurking in the back of my mind.

Easy 10 miles this morning to keep the legs ticking over.

Welcome back the o6's and hello to the 07's
  • hey up everybody.

m-diddy. that's great 3-15 pacing! almost perfect. did you think about trying to slow down a little on the run-in, just to get your time closer to 3-14-59?

i'm just coming to the end of the triathlon season (last race for me at end of september) so my mind was starting to wander towards what sort of dedidcated running to get in before xmas in preparation for FLM training.

the last time i did FLM i missed out on 3-15 by a few seconds, but didn't really start training properly until the new year.

so i'm thinking that, this time, a couple of months of decent running before starting training properly might be good idea...

does anybody have any thoughts about pre-xmas running, in terms of both intensity and mileage?

hope you're all running well at the moment.

cheers.

g.
  • Well, Club Championships this week. Vets 100M, Long Jump, 1500M and Discus (converted to points for overall Club Vets Champion) Is this what they call cross training? LOL. Won't be slackening off on the marathon training though, just adding the competition as a 'bonus'. Did a long (2H 58M 27S) run on Sunday and it went well though forced a rest day on my yesterday but back out this morning before work. Less than 6 weeks now to Loch Ness and all seems to be going well..... Will hold back FLM entry till I see if I get a GFA time at Loch Ness, just in time on 1 October.
    Stick at it y'all!
  • Hello Folks,

As one of the slower guys on here I am chuffed to report that last Sunday I knocked 2:04 off my 10k PB, taking it to 43:12. According to the RW calculator, this (all being equal) translates to a 3:18:45 marathon (McMillan gives 3:22:44). Going the other way, inputing a 3:15:00 marathon time suggests I should be running 41:33 for 10k, which I might be able to do on a (very) downhill course under a full moon, and with a gale on my back. However, my pesonal experience of calculators is that my times seem to be skewed in favour of the longer distances i.e. I do better at M and HM distances than my 10k times predict. Not sure if its because of advanced years, lack of fast twitchers, or training geared mostly towards HM+ distances. How do everyone else's experiences compare?

• MacMillan is far and away the best predictor for me.

I skew slightly towards the shorter distances, but enjoy running the long ones more.

I'm 49.

Keep plugging away and you'll probably surprise yourself, with what you are able to do next spring.
  • hey DD.

it's the other way round for me: my half mara PB (1-25-10) computes to a marathon time of 2-59-37 with mcmillan. my best effort out of three marathons is 3-15-51. i've never run a proper 10k, apart from at the end of triathlons which i figure doesn't count for the calculator, so i haven't plugged it in.

big congratulations on your new PB!
  • Hello again.
    GFA application form posted this week.
    What's Dull Nap doing here?
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    On the GFA front, am I right in thinking that you simply drop them a line with proof of a GFA time and then they send you a formal application form later? And do you have to provide that proof even if your GFA time was set in the FLM?

(I'm a very chuffed GFA novice after struggling to get under 3.15 for a while.)

DN is spot on, keep plugging away and surprise yourself next spring - good advice - it's all to play for
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Poacher,

Yes, send them proof - I'm assuming I have to confirm to FLM that I finished this year's FLM in GFA time. Remember that, if you are a vet, you also need to send proof of age. Congrats on getting your time!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Go to the FLM site results section, search for your result then click on your name. A box with your time/splits etc will pop up. Print this off, it is sufficient as proof of your time. See you on green!

Blisters & I stand at first home once each in FLM, all to play for in 2007!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Thanks folks, green it is
  • It's gone quiet again, hasn' t it?

Hmm, well, let' s think of a topic for conversation ...

I have been reading "The Competitive Runers' Handbook" by Bob Glover (which I am really enjoying). In it there is a bit about running etiquette. Bob asserts that for middle-of-the-packers (like me) it' s not fair to sit just behind someone and draft off them during a race, and that everyone in a pack should have a go at leading. Not sure about this ...I like to "hang on" to someone in front, a few discrete paces adrift. Not really drafting, more like hanging on for grim death. I wouldn' t sit right on someone's shoulder for half a marathon or something, but I' m the same on group training runs, loathe to take on the pace in case I bugger it up for everyone else. Admittedly I wouldn' t enjoy someone hanging around on my shoulder for a long period, but by the same token I don' t particularly enjoy it when someone overtakes and then cuts right in on you. Anyone got any strong opinions on this? If not, my next topic is the Art (or otherwise) of Spitting!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    I have to confess I've slipstreamed occasionally but get a bit peeved when someone else does it to me. I train alone and never run with anyone else except in a race when I just concentrate on doing my own thing at my own pace. Rather than slipstream I would rather head out and slowly pull ahead of the other runner and gain a place. Cutting in is a more serious and annoying piece of poor etiquette.

But the worst etiquette is people not lining up at the start acording to their real projected time. This is one of the things which has ruined the Great North Run.

Now, spitting....
  • Back from hols,

Brief summary: Week 1, family week in peak district cottage, lovely countryside no training. Week 2, looking after kids, good quality time little training!

Looked at running log and am surprised but pleased to note I'm weighing in around a stone lighter than this point last year. Feel fit and over the injury niggles so hopefully some positive stuff to post soon.

Etiquette, DD you've opened a can of worms there. I remember being slipstreamed for 8 miles of a 10 miles race in Feb only for the guy to leave me for dead inside the last mile, annoying but did not slow my performance. Peeps who go past then slow down interfering with your stride deserve to be tripped up, no need for that at all.

As for spitting, could that be considered a (somewhat gross) solution to said slipstreamers?
  • Hi everyone, I'm steadily doing 40-50 miles a week building up for the triple in late October. Hopefully this base training will stand me in good stead for my attempt at 3:15 which I will most likely be going for now at the Shakespeare Marathon. Got a 10k on Sunday which should make a change from the steady mileage, might dip under the 40 minute mark but the course isn't too easy.

Regarding running in a group, I think as long as everyone shares the lead, it works well, and can pull people around to better than expected times. I ran in a group of 10-15 runners aiming for 3:27 at Belfast up to 9 miles, only to pull ahead as I thought the pace had dropped. Come 19 miles the group now down to 4 people came steaming past. Never get out of the group is my motto - definitely my biggest mistake in a race. Someone drafting behind me up a steep hill is another matter though!

Bit of a prolific spitter, I just try not to hit other people! Hope everyones training is going well.
  • Can't stand runners spitting! Have only done so a couple of times myself - and never in an event - and that's when I've swallowed a fly (actually, neve mind spitting, I was close to being sick!).

I try and conserve as much liquid in me as possible!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Should've gone running in the Peak District Humph, it's my adopted home and a fab place to run, every kind of terrain, hills or flat, whatever you want. We also try to keep the spitting in check round here.