Sub 3:15 - FLM 2009

Comments

• Poacher, I certainly would have done but wanted to give time back to the family as they put up with a lot of hubby/daddy absences with running the rest of the year. I did manage a (spit free) lap of Carsington water on a bike towing junior Humph. #2 otherwise a true rest week interspersed with some authentic Bakewell munching :-)

Mrs H was so taken the area that she has looked up all sorts of property on the web!

Maybe the White Preak marathon one day?
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    I've not done the White Peak yet but certainly the countryside round there is lovely so c'mon down. Sadly, the bakewell tarts and puddings slow down many a good runner to a crawl.
  • ... not to mention inducing many a spitting spasm.
  • Ran a few Yassos yesterday in the baking heat of the afternoon (25C in these parts). Managed 5 at an average of 2:57. Qute happy with that as its 10% quicker than same time last year.
  • Middle of Club Champs at the moment, but without slacking off on training. makes me very pleased with two 1500 metres I've run over the last 10 days. Last week, as part of Masters Combined Events Championships, managed 5m 18.6s and this week on open club champs 5m 11.1s. .... and if I'd had the confidence to go for it, there is more there. However, this computes on predictor to 2H 57m!!! Not placing too much store by that, but in the middle between the two, I ran my standard 3 Hr run last Sunday in 2Hrs. 44M. 23S. and it felt easier than it usually does in 3 Hrs. Just over 4 weeks now to Loch Ness marathon so chickens will come home to roost. Two weeks till the taper then, how time flies!!!
    Keep it going folks, all the hard work DOES pay off, hope to have good news for you all on 2 October!
  • Good work guys some impressive numbers there DD & Aber.

I'm running a leg of the Essex Way relay this weekend, 1st race since early July. Mind you it's 10 miles hilly off road and the forecast is wet so it might be hard to check pace. I was 4th of 27 last year so that's the yardstick.

12 days solid training now and felt good on club hill reps Weds so fingers crossed that it's all coming back together.

Oh, and I posted the entry application today :-)
  • Aberdonian - have you run Loch Ness before? I ran it last year (my first marathon) and thought it was a fabulous race. Probably not much cop for a PB though ... Sonds like your running is coming together perfectly for the big day.

Good luck with the race Humph. We'll look forward to your report next week!

• Hi DD, yes, I did it last year too. Which actually is my PB of 3.29.09. I reached halfway in under 1.30!!! but then REALLY suffered over the last half, especially that uphill from when you leave General Wade's Road at about 20 miles, the one that goes on for about 2 and a half miles! I was reduced to a walk.

That was my third marathon in total having done London twice, in 2002 (immediately after 50th birthday) and 2003. Since then I've done two more, Luton in December 2005 and London again this year. The last two were a lot more even pace and I managed to run every step for first and second times (apart from three toilet stops this year in London where it was cool and damp). Meant I was not sweating as I normally do and so had to shed fluid that should have been reabsorbed.

So, start a lot steadier this year at Loch Ness, which is indeed a beautiful race, and keep it going (willpower I now know is the key) through the tough bits. 3.15 is a realistic target as so far (touch wood) there has been no disruption to my training and I'm going strong with a wide diversity of distance slog, hill and speed work, and all of this from a far more secure background.

So, hope my confidence and determination will be rewarded and thanks for good wishes. Race is 1 October.
  • hello to one all. done two marathons now doing the budapest in october.pb is 3:23. donot know if i will try for 3:15 then or wait for london next year.any advice?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    ym.. your shorter distance times usually give you an indication of your marathon prospects. In my experience you need to be doing sub 1:27 for a half, sub 66 for 10m & sub 40 for 10k to have a decent crack at breaking 3:15.

If you decide to have a go for sub 3:15, try to run it at close to level pace. When I first broke 3:15 in 2002 I ran splits of 1:37/1:35. Not my fastest marathon but technically the best.

Good luck in Budapest.
  • Thought I would express an interest in this thread as it is my ultimate goal for FLM.

I am a stalwart of the sub 3:30 thread and did 3:29:57 last year so have got a GFA this year. I am stuggling with motivation at the mo which is a bit of a problem as am running Robin Hood marathon on Sunday. Sub 3:15 is a bit of a dream as my 10k (42:50) and half (1:33) times are a bit slow. Any tips via this thread will be gratefully received.You all seem to be pretty speedy!
  • YM, I'd echo Wardi's advice re times, if you are in the ballpark then go for it.

CP, great idea to set a new goal, best of luck on Sunday, let us know how it goes and was you thought were good and bad from this batch of training, lots of ideas floating around here.

So, my race yesterday was a bit of a 'mare in the end, completely fell apart in the last 2 miles to finish 9th of 37 but was holding 6th until shortly before the end, I think the feild on my leg was stronger than last year mind. Actually had to stop for a moment at one stage as the heat and hills got me badly, just about raised a jog let alone a sprint finish :-( Overall I'm a happy men's captain though as we finished 2nd overall to the all conquering local club who win everything so we are claiming a moral victory!!
  • Hi CG,

Fear not, you are speedier than me at all those distances except the marathon (3:28:27). I still hang out on the sub 3:45 thread (my previus best marathon was 3:54), just can't tear myself away from all the good folks on there.

Developing mental tricks would be my one big tip. In particular convincing yourself that 7:30 m/m pace is not fast, but that 8:00 pace IS!
    Your 10k pace is sub 7:00, and HM is around 7:15, so you have just got to run a bit slower than that for ..er..quite a bit longer. No doubt the speedier folks here who have already managed sub 3:15 will have some wise words to add.

Good luck with Robin Hood, and I hope you wake up on race morning with a zip in your legs (well, not literally) and a song in your heart!

• Ran my first long(ish) run since returning from injury this morning - 12.5 miles in just under 1:45. I was worried my leg might not cope but it was pain-free. I've been slowly building up from scratch since the end of July and the last two weeks have each been 42-miles, but the site of my stress fracture has been quite sore of late. Rested yesterday and it was fine today. This morning's run seems to reinforce my theory that it's speed not distance that causes me problems . . .
  • oops ...blooper on previous post ...should have read " ... convincing yourself that 7:30 pace is not fast, but that 8:00 pace IS slow". Sorry about that.

Speaking of which, did my long run of 21K on Saturday in 1:41, the 19K in the middle at aforesaid 7:30 pace. Didn' t really mean to turn the run into something of a time-trial, but felt strong and enjoyed it (mostly!).

• Thanks DD and Humph - the problem I have with judging my pace is that I tend to do all my long runs in the Peaks and is hard to translate that speed to flatter courses.
  • CG - yeah, know what you you mean, lots of my runs are "undulating", though not often "hands on thighs" hilly. I tend to run by feel ..don' t use HRM, but monitor breathing and try and keep it reasonably comfortable (except for on long steep hills of course). I' ll still play mental tricks on myself though, and don' t make too many allowances for the undulations unless on a point-to-point run with a big start/finish height differential.

Aberdonian - I was quite psyched up for the long hill after Dores, but it was the first 10 miles that took me by surprise. Although the contours show it is predominantly downhill, I found it surprisingly up-and-down. The last 2 miles were hellish too, but only 'cos my legs were well mashed!

Humph - nice result, despite your personal tribulations. Well done, sir.

• DD, my mistake was to run it blind, with no prior knowledge of what the gradients were until I encountered them on the day. Hence my VERY optimistic first half which, being predominantly downhill, just felt too easy. In places I really let gravity take over and probably over taxed my legs with braking power, as some of those down gradients are real descents.
    Anyway, less than 4 weeks now and I shall know what to expect this time. Must however ensure that I don't go off TOO gently to save myself for that Dores hill!
    Like you, the last two miles were killers, with run(well, jog)/ walk being all I could manage as will power ebbed and flowed.
    As I say though, I've had two run all the way marathons since then, so, we shall see.
    As for my weekend... was out clubbing Saturday night (yes at my age!!!) dancing non-stop (probably at 90% effort. LOL) from 11.00 p.m. until 3.00 a.m. and then a 800 metres club-champs on the Sunday afternoon. Possibly the hardest weekend's training yet!

Well done Humph, I'm sure your contribution to the team was well respected. Glad to hear the leg is bearing up Paulini, keep up the good work, build the speed gently though till you're confident the leg is ready for it.
    Welcome aboard Young Man and good luck in Budapest, hope all is coming together for you.
  • Hmm, good advice Aberdonian. I think I'll take a leaf out of Dogfish Dave's book and start making my slower runs less slow and my steady runs a bit faster before I indulge in any all-out speedwork . . .

Good luck at Loch Ness, btw.
  • wardi.the times you have given for the 10k and 10 m i am just outside but the half i am 8 mins out side of .but only been running two years in november.also had stress fractures and cartledge op in feb .not done any speed work yet but plan to after budapest.so it onwards and upwards thanks
  • ooh the pain, the pain ...you' ve brought it all too vividly back, Aberdonian. Nice to see you employed a thorough dehydration strategy at the weekend though :-)

YM - if that' s your times without speed work God knows how fast you' ll be going once you set your mind to it...phew!

Crawled out at 5.45 this morning for a tempo run on a 5.5 mile undulating route I do occasionally to test the leggies. First shock ...it was still quite d-d-d-DARK! And it was raining, but hey-ho.

This route has been annoying me a bit as about this time last year I ran it in 41.27, and haven't managed to get within half a minute of that this year, despite doing significant PBs at 10k and HM and marathon over the spring/summer. So, this morning I set off with a grim determination to set a new best time for the route. ran it hard but steady, paying attention to running form and in particular arm movement (after reading Bob Glovers running handbook). Clocked in at 39.21 .....yeeEEESSSS!

• Crumbs! 2 minutes cut from best time, that is some going!!
    I was out doing 6 X 200, 4 X 400, 6 X 200 last night with the club. Amazingly quick and quick recoveries! Beating guys I should be nowhere near, so all the hard work is certainly paying off and the weekend of excess seems to have done NO harm at all. Coutdown gathering pace now, less than 4 weeks.... Wonder how I'll fill my time during the taper!
    YM, good to see you're taking it all seriously. 2 years and building huh? Good Luck with Budapest, and I guess speed work afterwards means London is the more realistic target for 3.15, but who knows, if you get a good day, and are well prepared over the final few weeks.....
    Good Luck!
  • guys.do you all do speed work ?if so is it done on a track or on the road?
  • I tend NOT to do mine on the road. I do it either on the track or sometimes on a treadmill. Certainly the schedules I've picked up along the way and applied (though not rigorously) all seem to have some speed work in them.
    Are you working to a schedul? The Marathon magazine which contains the London Flora Marathon entry form has one, or there are some you can pick uo off here.
    I'm doing the one on the Baxrter's Loch Ness Marathon website at the moment...
    http://www.lochnessmarathon.com/info/preparation.php
    Good luck with it, but take it steady for starters, no heroics and beware of achilles tendons. (my weak spot I fear)
  • I do most of my speedwork with a running club, and this is usually on grass in one of the local parks. For longer intervals like Yassos I' m lucky to have a reservoir nearby which is an almost perfect flat 1200m circuit on a rough path. Echoing Aberdonian ...also beware the hamstrings!
  • I do both effort sessions with the club and a solo track based speed session each week. Have also used the treadmill in the past. Each have their own + & - points.

Club sessions, rarely on a flat route due to the terrain profile of our town. I do find that running with others gives a boost to these sessions and most of my hill reps are done with a group.

Track, great for measuring pace over defined distance, better surface than the road, floodlit in winter but the one I use can be really windy.

Treadmill, great for consistency of pace but need to use an incline or you 'cheat' a bit. I find I get very hot though which can impact the HR through dehydration.

If you are looking to build speedwork into your next schedule (post Autumn marathon) then I'd start with longer tempo type runs rather than outright speed reps to build the lactate tolerance or go for longer reps like 1600m or 2000m. Usual caveats though, ensure you have proper warm up and warm down and some decent stretching.
  • I find I'm more injury-prone when I do "pure" speedwork so at the moment I'm trying to avoid it. I do, however, do at least one hard tempo run a week using my HRM to make sure I stay in the zone. But I know I won't be able to avoid the reps for too much longer . . .
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Caterpillar Girl - your HM and 10K times are almost identical to mine (within seconds) and i ran 3:15:49 in London this year so it is definitely possible!! Tactically it wasn't even a good marathon either - splits of 1:35 and 1:40-ish so in theory i might have sneaked under 3:15 with a bit of restraint in the first half - who knows :o)
  • And yes Caterpillar Girl, if you put your half marathon time (1.33)through the race predictor on this website you get a 3.13.53 prediction, so, looking doable as K9 says.
    10Km time of 42.50 gives a prediction of 3.16.50, so looks like you err on the stamina side which augurs well for the marathon.

That must have been SO annoying K9, those 49 seconds!! I was just as annoyed by the 52 seconds in my 3.30.52 for 2006 FLM. Redoubled my efforts this year to try to get rid of 14 minutes and 9 seconds from my Loch Ness Marathon time in three and a half weeks. Watch this space!

Did I say the weekend of excess had done no harm? Guess who is getting a cold, begun with a sore throat and now runny nose and sneezes. Perhaps my taper starts early!!! Early nights and cold cures coming up!!
  • K9 - your comments have given me grounds for some optimism. Although I am a little slower than you and CG, my next marathon is a winter away yet, so plenty of time to find a bit more speed endurance, and maybe lose a little weight too (if I can negotiate the festive season without doing too much damage).

Aberdonian - sounds like the taper madness/illness/paranoia has set in a little early :-)

CG - good luck on Sunday, we will be rooting for you.