Options

Sub 3:15 - FLM 2009

Comments

• Options

Poach - If for any reason you can't do it, I might be available.

KR - Bit of a pain in the bum really, unless you're skiing. Not that we've had any proper deep snow yet. Bad luck on the race (again).

Badbark - Poacher wrote (see)

Another way to do it, if transport logistics allow, is to run into work one day, then use public transport to go home and go to work next day, then run home.  Needs showers at work and somewhere to hide a change of clothes but you can get 2 decent runs in over 2 days. 

Or the other way round, like I do it. Almost all my runs are work to home as there are no showers at work.

Ormeski - Like most, you'll probably find you'll only use start and stop on your Garmin. But it's nice to know the other things are there if you needed them image

• Options
    Well, Ant, I ain't no expert but I reckon you don't need to swap a bike for a recovery, unless you go hard on the bike. Surely, non-weight bearing cycling will sort your legs beautifully after a tempo or MP run? I'd say a day's rest after the LSR purely because it can make you not want to run the next day. I'd also knock the tempo runs the day before your LSR on the head too. Isn't that how you did it? Too much stress for the lickle leggies, I'd say. Just my cheeky opinion so feel free to ignore it!
  • Options
    Another day at home today, and unless the conditions outside improve it looks like it'll be the same again tomorrow. At least I've got my laptop with me so I can get something done.

Was going stir crazy by lunchtime so nipped out for an hour on my regular circuit through the woods - light snow in the air and deep snow in places meant it was tough going up the hills, but glorious on the flat and downhill.

Took some piccies, but can't seem to upload them - what the trick peeps?

On a separate subject, has anyone got any experience of Cyclocross? There's an article about it in Triathlete's World and it looks interesting albeit expensive.

• Options

Will this work?

Here's the sweep downhill...

/members/images/226395/Gallery/Snow_1.jpg

• Options

Ah hah!!

... and here's the field that always reminds me of Gul doing his laps. Straight across it in virgin snow - always interesting trying to get your bearings at 5.30 in the morning!

/members/images/226395/Gallery/Snow_2_0.jpg

• Options
    Had to cancel the club run tonight as it's far too slippery and icy out there for group running. I doubt I would have even made it out of my road without falling over - it's just sheet ice. Not sure what I'll be doing this weekend. Parkrun is still on at the moment but a decision will be made tomorrow, and then I was planning to do 17 miles on Sunday, so I guess that will depend on whether we've had any thawing at all.
  • Options

Shame about your race too Keir. I think all races will be off this weekend.

6 miles round the Park last night at a very steady 8.26mm pace

• Options
    Pretty, Lorenzo!  Tiny bit jealous at the snow, as we've still not had much snow at all in Brizzle.  10M for me last night, building from 8.30m/m to 7m/m. We may not have much snow but it's certainly bliddy cold here and took ages to get the legs going!!!!
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Morning all. Another day off work for me. Sore throat and swollen glands remain, but to day...I am going on a run! (I might be some time).

Nice pics Lorenzo. MM is probably your best bet for cyclo-cross advice. I have owned 2 cyclo-cross bikes, but never 'got round' to doing a race image

I agree KR.

Ant - Where do we start? I think you have probably got a pretty good idea on what you need to do!

• Options

Mile jog to the pool this morning, mile swim and then mile jog back home again. Feet are starting to work in these conditions now whoop, will hopefully get out and run properly-ish soon! At least a treadmill run and a x-train over the weekend fingers crossed.

Tactic to to do long slow effrots (swim, cycle, jog) while things are as they are.

Going to enjoy a nice winter pint this evening, pub near the office have their festive ales on, rude not to try a couple!

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear your races are cancelled, Keir and KR.

Lorenzo - those snow scenes are beautiful!

Ant - I think if you need or want to fit cycling into your regime, then it qualifies as a perfect substitute for recovery runs. The only snag is that it can make your hamstrings feel a bit tight so they need extra stretching afterwards.

I think that is why the running leg of a triathlon feels so comical because the action of cycling (short rotation) is a little bit counter to what you want your hamstrings to be doing when running (long fluid striding, although not overstriding).

Jools - sounds like you are over your Man Flu! What a satisfying 10 miler that sounds like.

I am struggling to get over my knee injury to get anywhere near 7min/mile at the moment. Am wondering whether I will be looking at starting the P&D schedule next week or deferring to VLM 2012. Pootling along at 9 min/mile is about as fast as I can currently go without exacerbating it image Only running every other day too which is a bit depressing. Not sure my heart is getting much of a workout. Am therefore about to head to Cardiolates (and make the most of the cleaner/babysitter being here!) - a combination of spinning and pilates and quite good actually! Then booked in to see the physio straight afterwards to be poked by her acupuncture needles and whatnot followed by some rehabilitative pilates with her.

Saw my friend last night whose PB is 2.48 from prior to becoming a mum. Two kids later and she is now training for Brighton and said she would be happy with 3.30 this time which has made me wonder whether I will manage to achieve my objective of getting a sub-3 marathon before I turn 40 in a couple of years... I would have given anything to run like her - she used to easily beat me even when I was managing to run steady 6.5 min/mile runs - and to hear her goals now makes me wonder whether I am asking too much of my post-pregnant body?
  • Options

Lorenzo - that looks a much nice field than mine. We've not had a great deal of snow around these parts yet.

MsE - sorry to hear of your woes. I know how frustrating it can be, but try and take it easy for now. There's oodles of time before you have to think about defering and you may be pleasantly surprised.

I overslept this morning after Mrs GD's birthday celebrations and didn't get up till 6am, but still pretty much managed what I had planned although was nearer to MP+10% rather than MP+20%, 5.1M @ 8:15m/m, which meant I caught up a few minutes.

• Options

Lorenzo: Lovely photos/place to run

Ant: I too am thinking that a change may be in order on my training plan, to incorporate some easy, dare I say, recovery exercise following on from advice on here, although they may be just spinning turbo sessions on the bike instead of runs

Keir/KR: sorry about the race cancels, always a pain when you are looking forward to racing.

MsE: Am sure you can reach your goals, just look at Paula, Ingrid, great article here too

Jools: Nice 10 miler, you are getting back on it well!

Am working from home today so going to sneak off and do 5 miles on the treadie to keep my legs going, I emailed the organiser of the Regents Park 10K and he said the race is still on, as the paths will be gritted and if not, we can run on the grass, not sure my sub 40 time will be on that day though! 

• Options

Nice pics Lorenzo but more importantly, congratulations for getting them to appear on here!

MsE - I'm sure you're making up some of the names of these activities image You're right about the triathlon running; there seems to be no range of movement in the legs after the bike. Even though I'd done some vague practice bricks before the Liverpool tri, it wasn't anything like having to do it on the day. I think the run between swim and bike was weirdest as you've got to contend with trying to waddle in a wetsuit!
    You never know what paces you'll achieve when you can rid yourself of the niggles and get stuck into a big block of training.

Hooray for your getting out there Joolska!

Lorenzo/Keir - I can't remember which company it was, but in the last couple of years a bike manufacturer managed to build a cyclo-cross bike with the cableguides on the underside of the top tube - not ideal when you have to carry your bike up hills! Derrr.

Good swimming Ormeski

Keir/Oates - Good luck.

• Options

@SteveC - if time isn't on still some lovely miles in the bank!

Just had final race instrustions through for Hogs Back 8.2 Road Race on 12th Dec. It hasn't been abandoned for 53 years apparently so they're hoping things clear up. Just over a week for the big melt to take place!

Fewer miles this week has actually been good for me after Hellruner on Sunday and totalling nearly 30 miles last week, by the far the most I've done in a week in nearly 4 years! Legs were a little sore from the rough terrain so the rest or change in training for a week will hopefully bring benefits! image

• Options

Good to see everyone still trying to get some sort of training in with the dodgy weather.  Treadie again for me today.  10k at 6:40 min/mile, felt a bit quick at first I think that's the fastest i've been on a treadie but was OK after first K.  Good luck to those still managing to race this weekend.

• Options
    What the blazes is going on here? A sub90min HM and a 41min 10k, both on treddies? The world's gone mad.
  • Options
    Lorenzo - cyclo-cross is great fun, flat out for an hour (or 40mins if you're riding vet races) but it can wear out your equipment faster than normal road riding. Be prepared for it wreck your wheels, brake blocks, chain, cassette, cables in no time at all. It can be a real ache to get your kit and bike clean after a race as well.

On saying that, it's a hoot! Great workout, really good at building your bike handling skills and like XC in running, a fantastic way to make mates and build your fitness for the summer
  • Options

Just popping in after a quick read back. Mad busy at work at the moment, it always is prior to going home.

Still feeling the effects of my dicky guts from Monday night, feeling tired and drained, literally. Got out for an 11 mile General run yesterday, despite it feeling tough I really struggled to get the HR up!!

Mightily impressed by the fact most people are still getting their runs in.

• Options

MsE - I turned 40 last year and had the best year ever running & PB wise - so don't give up hoping.

SteveC1975 - Good luck in your race. I hope it still goes ahead. Like you say sub 40 might be pushing it, but you never know…!

Barry B - what did you have on the telly this time for your 6.40 pace 10K? Some people get motivated by music/iPods when running, do you think you will be able to carry that poratble DVD player in races?

My milage has really dipped in the past couple of weeks. Last week I was on a taper in preparation for my Half Marathon (cancelled), then this week the snow has been a bit tricky. Also, my wife has been doing some extra hours at work,Thursday & Friday nights till 9.00pm. Last night she didn't get back till 10.00pm, but I still went out as I'd not run since Tuesday - hence why I only did 6 miles!

Will try for a 15 miler on Sunday to get things back on track.

• Options

Well done for fitting it in at an ungodly hour KR. BarryB was upsetting the oldies with his loud music, Badbark was the film watcher. Perhaps this may be of some use?

• Options

MsE: longer-term posters will probably be sick of this story and can skip it, but the marathon I take most comfort from is FLM 2009 when I couldn't start my training properly until late Jan due to a psoas problem (I had I think 5 weeks when I could barely walk or cross-train as the referred groin pain was so bad).  Despite having such a limited build up I ran 3.10 and pretty well paced, too.  Not brilliant, but as an experienced runner it's surprising how quickly it all comes back.  It's also why I'm trying not to stress too much about the hit-and-miss training I've had recently.  4-6 weeks of solid training makes a BIG difference.

• Options
    LOL B&B - I like the way they have made it look “normal” by attaching a Baseball cap to it. It would be just weird without that!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    MsE - I think I am stronger mentally after having babies.  I often compare long hard sessions to child birth!  I ran my recent marathon with a man (his first marathon) and when we got to 22 miles I told him that that was the long drag of labour almost over but the hardest thing was still to come - dig deep and push that baby out!!  But joking aside, women who have been there, done that, can draw strength mentally from it and use it to our advantage.  
  • Options
    Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

Please, organise my 2011 VLM Victory Straegy for me!

Get yourself a copy of P&D and do the 55-70mpw plan and stick to it as rigidly as possible (perhaps increasing the long runs a little bit). And if you get stuck on anything, ask SBD or me (but SBD knows it better).

Ant I take on board your comments about needing constant reassurance about the pace and it is human nature to expect that the more fast running you do the quicker you'll get but the oppositie is actually true. Just have faith in the plan and read the science behind it. P&D do a brilliant job of explaining why you're doing each run and why it fits where it does into the schedule. They periodise the whole build up to ensure that you peak on race day rather than getting there a little overcooked. Trust me, you will be bloody excited when you read it, perhaps not as good as razzle but it's a good un. Also because of how sensible the approach is you will be able to do the faster sessions faster and thus giving you more benefit than what you have been used to. Which will in turn make you quicker marathon runner. image As long as you can get a copy by a week on Sunday you can do the 18 week plan....

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

and if you can't get a copy quickly Ant, use this link to get you started.  RJ, what events have you got coming up over the next few months?

Nice TV Hat B&B. However a certain to give you square eyes.

Gul Darr wrote (see)

I overslept this morning after Mrs GD's birthday celebrations and didn't get up till 6am,

image image

My Titus Oates run went well. Had intended to run a snowy 10, but it was so beautiful out there and I enjoyed myself so much, I (Lorenzo-esque) added on a sneaky 7 miles to give me 17m in 2hr 22. Pretty much M Pace +60sec. Considering most of the lanes were sheet ice with a fine dusting of snow in the centre to run on, I was pretty pleased with 8m25 pace.

Some things I learnt on the run:

1. On beautiful snowy, sunny days, sun glasses are good.

2. I should get a better phone so I can take pictures of the scenary.

3. I should take my phone on runs, especially if I tell Mrs K a time I will be back, and then am almost an hour later. image

Out on the run, I thought it was about time we saw some more pictures of the scenary in AfEs beautiful local area. Also a tash update pic wouldn't go amiss!

• Options

B and B - surely that TV hat thingy is an April fool. They make you look like some kind a tragic Star Trek extra - marvellous

Ant - I'm no expert but would the time honoured weekly structure of LSR/easy/hard/medium/easy/off/steady suit you ?? It seems to me that's what most schedules are loosely based around

6 on the mill today with some strides. Snow has stopped here but wicked ice makes prospect of going outside anything above strolling pace inconceivable

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Ooh, (without meaning to sound like a camp man) you are a lovely lot. Thank you for the words of reassurance, I feel much better now about my niggly knee. The physio has worked her usual wonders and told me that the rehab exercises I am doing are making a difference so I am less worried now that I may have to shelve marathon training quite so soon. I am seeing her colleague for a biomechanical assessment and will ask him about shoes too as he has worked quite closely with Nike. I suspect changing shoes (Asics to Mizunos) may have contributed to the problem too.

Had a giggle at the reference to Razzle image Claaaaassssy!
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Glad the exercises are working MsE. Keep with it.

Razzle? What's that then? Could we have some pictures?

• Options

Minni - Thanks for that!

MsE - They are a good bunch on here. That's good news on your knee, particularly that what you're doing is helping.

Keir - Great effort on the run, sounds life-affirming, though a little disrespectful and irresponsible. Sit on the naughty step.

Fraser - I heard on the news it was -20 in Edinburgh last night image That's just too much.

Right, it is a rest day but I'm off for a game of 5-a-side footy to help my mate out.