Sub 3:15 - FLM 2009

Comments

• Ended up with just 4M recovery.  Plan is to go long tomorrow as I'm off to London on Sunday, so no real harm done.

It's cold-ish here; the harbour is starting to freeze over, but only just!

• Keir wrote (see)

My Titus Oates run went well.

Presumably "Titus" Oates the explorer, rather than the original one who "was originally an Anglican minister but was dismissed after being charged with "drunken blasphemy” and then became a chaplain on a ship but was dismissed for committing an homosexual act". image

Can't remember reading that he was a sub-3 marathon runner, but I could have missed that part out!

Titus Oates

• Have singularly failed to keep up with goings on this week. I managed a pleasant 5m at lunchtime on Tuesday in the snow, then took my new Microspikes out today. Canal towpath a mixture of compacted snow and occasional icy patches - Microspikes took a minute to fit and then I ran the middle 3m of a 5 miler at 7:10 pace - which I suspect would have been impossible without them. So a Good Buy. Going to take them out on the fell on Sunday hopefully.

Other news is the tache has gone - it survived the full month, even hanging on to the 30th when I had to present our plan to the board (much to the chagrin of my boss but I told him that as he hadn't sponsored me he had no control!). £230 raised for prostate cancer research and I now know that I will never grow a moustache again!
  • I was on a lads' canoeing trip many years ago and we stopped for petrol and supplies. The lad driving went into pay, and someone said "get us a Razzle". Poor lad assumed it was a chocolate bar and perused the confectionary for a while before the girl asked if she could help.

"yes" he said " would you happen to have a Razzle?"

Silence....
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Race Jase wrote (see)
    Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

Please, organise my 2011 VLM Victory Straegy for me!

Get yourself a copy of P&D and do the 55-70mpw plan and stick to it as rigidly as possible (perhaps increasing the long runs a little bit). And if you get stuck on anything, ask SBD or me (but SBD knows it better).

Clearly what you've been doing has worked pretty well Ant so I'm reluctant to give you advice on training but I do feel you would improve following a P&D type structured programme.  You're already doing the "nothing less than 10 miles" bit so I don't think the programme would be challenging for you.  Probably the opposite - you'd feel you were running too slowly a lot of the time.  If you haven't read the book - I would as RJ suggests at least get a copy and have a read.  The 55-70 schedule has 10miles per week of recovery runs, so it's probably not too dissimilar in terms of time comitment to what you are currently doing.  If nothing else, it would be an interesting experimentimage

Another 8 miles of dreadmill for me.  Thought I'd try a progressive run to see what faster paces felt like on the treadmill.  Pushed it up to 7:00 m/m pace after 58 minutes which felt comfortable, so started to think about whether to extend the "distance" and to keep raising the pace to tempo pace.  Sadly, just as I was in my stride, the machine started to slow down by itself.  I managed to raise the speed back to what it had been but this only lasted for a few minutes before it started slowing down again.  All very annoying but it would appear that the machine has a maximum usage time of 60 mins and cuts out automatically when it reaches this - bad news for my LSR contingency plansimage 

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - There was a time when I would have admired your historical knowledge, but now I just accuse you of using Google.

AfE - Can we have some more pictures of the snowy scenary in your local area. Also a final tash update pic wouldn't go amiss!

No skating planned for tomorrow Jools?

• Will hopefully be out on them there fells on Sunday, Keir and will take my camera.

And this is how it ended up just before The End of Movember:

http://static.movember.com/uploads/posts/1/13/1382882.jpg

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

In the words of Mika, AfE, it looks like 'you tried little Freddie'

Nice. I'll give it a go next year. Is it strict on the 1st Nov start point, or could I try to get ahead over Oct half term? Looking forward to your scenic pics.

• SBD, can you not put the treadie in 'marathon mode'. I discovered that function on the ones in my gym after one stopped on me after an hour in 'quick start mode'.

Racing tomorrow. Well, I say racing. I'm not race fit so I'll be wrapping up warm and just running. XC at RAF Cranwell.

So very tired. Tried to read back buy my eyes kept going crossed. Bed time!
  • Keir wrote (see)

Lorenzo - There was a time when I would have admired your historical knowledge, but now I just accuse you of using Google.

Ooh - you cynic! Believe or not, I'm reading Starkey's book on the monarchy at the moment and have just finished the section in which Titus Oates (the 17th century version) put in an appearance. Had heard of him but didn't have a clue as to who he was, when he lived or what he was famous for. Now I know image

Planning on doing my own "I may be gone some time" tomorrow morning.
  • Oh Andy. Oh dear. Donald Fagan, minus the hair, circa 1974?

Quite snowy here, minus 10 when I got in last night and the river is frozen. Managed 25 slippery miles this week, got to get that up to 40ish over the w/e.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/76130/Gallery/Hfd_snow_Dec_2010_015_0.JPG

Crikey it's cold though.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)
    SBD, can you not put the treadie in 'marathon mode'. I discovered that function on the ones in my gym after one stopped on me after an hour in 'quick start mode'.

Are we now talking about doing Marathon's on the dreadmill? image 

Surely Poacher is the only one crazy enough to attempt such a feat image

Similar to you Poacher, I want to get up to 40 this week. 27 done so far. Rained a bit here over night and everything is starting to melt.

• Only if you're mental Keir! But it does let you run for more than an hour.

I want 25 miles this week. Building back up slowly. On 10 so far and off to XC today. Hopefully. If we can get there image
  • Anyone remember Slush Puppies?

Nutritious or what?

Well, now imagine running through them and going uphill - then you've got an idea what it was it was like for large parts of my run this morning!! Not so pleasant and rather hard work, but fortunately there were still parts with patches of snow rather than slush on the tracks as well.

/members/images/226395/Gallery/Snow_3.jpg

Once the sun came up it wasn't too bad, although my feet were pretty wet and cold by the time I got back.

Anyway, just over 16 miles in total - was initially planning on 20 but needed to be back by 8.30 and the pace was, to put it mildly, a bit slow.

In fact, I think I'm going to claim the record for the slowest run this weekend - a staggering 9:50 pace!! I'm blaming the conditions.

Poacher - just got map and number for TT. Looks good.

• Decided to settle for 6M this morning and postpone the LSR until tomorrow.  Bits of the Downs are like an ice rink: enormous sheets of ice over the grass, so I think I'll try to venture elsewhere tomorrow, although I suspect that the Suspension Bridge will be like an ice rink, too - at last there are side rails to stop me falling in the river!!!!!

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Some nice pictures of snow covered terrain.

I have to confess to having owned some slush puppiesimage - so good run there Lorenzo at an impressively early time.

CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)
    SBD, can you not put the treadie in 'marathon mode'. I discovered that function on the ones in my gym after one stopped on me after an hour in 'quick start mode'.

Were do you find the marathon mode Speedy?   I've tried the quick start and manual but there's nothing obvious.

First outing on the snow for me today.  Conditions were pretty good and the forest trail was very similar to the one in Lorenzo's picture but with a little less snow.  Just the 5 miles recovery but good for the soul.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Since we've been discussing pacing a lot recently and as I'm in VLM campaign planning mode, I thought I'd post some data from my Abingdon campaign which shows the weekly mileage and average pace for the 16 weeks up to and including the race:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/340278/Gallery/Abingdon_Distance_Pace.jpg

My weekly average pace started off at close to 8:30 m/m and gradually decreased to 7:45 m/m pre-taper but I still managed to run at 6:50 m/m pace on the day.  So whilst there are many ways to train for a marathon my experience is that you don't have to run lots of fast miles to run a fast time on the day.

• Thanks for the advice on my running a double to and from work everyone. I’ll take it all onboard and ponder a little more.

Glad to see that most people are still managing to get their runs in despite the weather.

The pavements are covered with snow and ice where I live and I didn’t want another long run on the dreadmill, so I drove down to the local all weather pitches for my LSR this morning. I’ve never ran laps before and thought I would be bored silly but 43 laps and 2:08 later I had covered 16 miles and was well happy. It was nice watching the sun come up and I like the fact I didn’t have to carry my drink and just left it on the car. Good run in the end.

Happy running everyone!

• Lorenzo wrote (see)

In fact, I think I'm going to claim the record for the slowest run this weekend - a staggering 9:50 pace!! I'm blaming the conditions.

Not so fast Lorenzo - I have just been for a five miler with the OH - similar conditions and just over 10mm pace!

• SBD -  On the treadie I use if you select manual training then put in anything over an hour and a half it automatically goes in to marathon mode.  Only prob is after 100 mins it keeps going but the timer starts again from zero, but if you know its coming you can work out the time or just use distance covered.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Seen Better Days wrote (see)

I have to confess to having owned some slush puppiesimage -

Probably not for long SBD. Slush puppies were the icey drinks full of E-numbers, You might be thinking of Hush puppies, the shoes that had a wrinkled look.

LSR tomorrow instead Jools?

Some good, physically and mentally tough LSRs from Lorenzo and BadBark. Sounds like you could join Poacher in the track marathon next yr Badbark!

• If I can't win the competition for slowest run then I'll have the day's record for the shortest LSR. 14.5 miles in just under 2 hours. It felt like quite an effort but brings up my first 50 mile week so I'm glad I got out there. All the runners seemed pretty smiley today, which is probably because it isn't the nicest day; slippery underfoot, cold and raining.

Nice pics from Lorenzo and Poacher.

• Badbark - I suggest you don't mention that in conversation with any normal people:  "Yeh, I was going to spend Saturday afternoon with my loved ones.  But I decided instead to drive down to a local deserted field, where I ran around in circles for two hours......"

Poacher - Send me an email via this site and we'll arrange the Helsby transfer.

An hour on the turbo today, while Gabby Logan shouted the football results at me.  I think I preferred Anne Robinson.  That can't be right, can it?

• Glad to see the rain today, most of the ice gone off the roads so went out for a slow 4 miles after work this afo. Takes me to 55 miles for the week at an avg of 7:44, including treadie and recovery milesimage
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Professionals, can you give some advice on HR?  I want to get it right before starting the P&D next week...

I am 41.  Using various formulas my MHR could vary between 170 - 182.   Heart rate table.  When I try to test my heart rate I struggle to get it over 176.  However, looking back at my HR data over the past 6 months I have hit 191 - 3 times, 193 - 1 time,  194 - 1 time and 197 - 1 time.   The 194 was during a race but the others were during med - long runs.   The 197 was achieved in the last mile of a 15 mile run and this was the fastest mile of the run.  

Tonight, I tried to find max HR on  4 x hill reps.  However, my max HR  only reached 170.  I pushed it hard and couldn't have gone any faster. 

This information would tell me that I get too anxious when trying to do the test but in normal running, when I am relaxed, I can reach higher without realising it. 

How does this help me calculate my max HR for training purposes?    

My average HR for my last marathon was 157. 

Any ideas? 

• Looks like everyone's still managing to get the miles in - nice work team

Can't answer you HR question Minni - I don't use it at all - just find it all very distracting and it makes my brain hurt.

Ten for me on the mill. Went to a different leisure centre to get some variety. I suppose it does allow rigid pacing - assuming the thing's set right. Did 4 at 7.30, 3 at 7.00 , 3 at 6.40. Prospect of 16 on the darned thing tomorrow doesn't fill me with joy but hey ho. Just put our Christmas tree up - hurrah !!image

• Minni – I’m also 41 and my maximum HR is 176 and this is what I use for P&D and other plans. It’s possible but I’d be surprised if your max was in the 190’s. I’d be more inclined to believe that it was a dodgy reading with the heart rate monitor. The same thing has happened to me half a dozen times in the last year.

As a guide my easy pace is 130 -140, average marathon HR is about 155, average half marathon about 161 and 10k is 164. As your marathon HR is very similar to mine I think 176 max would be a good bet.

The Accidental Runner wrote (see)

Badbark - I suggest you don't mention that in conversation with any normal people:  "Yeh, I was going to spend Saturday afternoon with my loved ones.  But I decided instead to drive down to a local deserted field, where I ran around in circles for two hours......"

Funnily enough I mentioned it on Facebook and the first reply I got was 'Nutter'!
  • Of course, the Christmas tree's just for the dogs' enjoyment, isn't it Fraser? Nice speedy milling from you.
    Sorry Minni, can't really help but it looks like your max is in the 190's unless your garmin has funny turns occasionally.
    Just off to a gig in town. It's to celebrate 20 years of...................The Farm! If you're wondering, no I don't know why I'm going either.
  • Some nice Long Very slow runs by a few on here. Some cracking photos to. 

In relation to treadmill running, I find once you decide mentally you doing it and how long you are doing, as opposed to see how I feel when I get there, it becomes managable. For me the first 30 mins and the last 30 mins were always the worst, the middle 120 mins were relatively easy. Best advice is to have a towel to cover up the time/distance.

Minni  Again sorry but I can't help in relation to HR. I guessed mine from the inaccurate formula of 220-age. However I tend to go with perceived effort levels, with the HR as confirmation.

B&B The Farm?   "All together now....."

Spent last night/this morning in my usual spot on the toilet. My LSR has been moved until tomorrow, 4 mile recovery today.