Sub 3:15 - FLM 2009

Comments

• Steve - that's still a good race, especially considering the conditions. 

Andy - loving the pics.

Nice LSR KR; it is very dangerous out there. I'm going to stick to the Field until the ice has gone (btw it's a football field, not a farmer in sight!)

I ended up doing my 10 miler yesterday morning, which was a bit of a novelty for me. Very pleased that the field is only a few hundred metres from home as it turned out to be very convenient image Nipping home and back in the middle of the run added to the mileage and it ended up as 10.9 miles starting out at MP+30% and ending up at MP+10%, average pace 8:42 min/mile. The toilet break also earned a few brownie points as I took the opportunity to put another load of washing on at cheap rate!

• Minni - I suspect your high readings early in a run are because your HR strap isn't getting a good connection with your skin because you aren't perspiring. I used to get this quite a lot in the winter, and it didn't start reading properly until I'd been going for a couple of miles and got properly warmed up and started to sweat. Simple solution is to lick the contacts before you put it on.

Only 9 miles for me yesterday. I'd intended on doing 17 - 1 lap with the group then a 2nd lap on my own, but I realised at about 4 miles that the blister I picked up last week wasn't going to stand anywhere near that kind of distance. No idea why I got the blister in the first place - same socks & shoes that had done 15 miles without issue suddenly gave me a great big blister doing 16. I'll have to track down some big Compeed plasters as all I could find on Saturday were the small ones, but even then I'm not sure the skin will have recovered sufficiently for a long one next week.

• Gul Darr wrote (see)

Steve - that's still a good race, especially considering the conditions. 

Andy - loving the pics.

Nice LSR KR; it is very dangerous out there. I'm going to stick to the Field until the ice has gone (btw it's a football field, not a farmer in sight!)

I ended up doing my 10 miler yesterday morning, which was a bit of a novelty for me. Very pleased that the field is only a few hundred metres from home as it turned out to be very convenient image Nipping home and back in the middle of the run added to the mileage and it ended up as 10.9 miles starting out at MP+30% and ending up at MP+10%, average pace 8:42 min/mile. The toilet break also earned a few brownie points as I took the opportunity to put another load of washing on at cheap rate!

I hope they were the right kind of brownie points!
  • Morning all.

Pavements were like bliddy ice rinks yesterday and, after nearly going A over T several times during the 5 minute walk I do to 'warm up' before a run I decided I was going to have to be brave and go to the gym.  1 hour and 58 sodding minutes on the treadmill for a 15 miler.  To entertain myself I started at 7.1mph and increased the pace by 0.1mph every 10 minutes (it's good to having something to look forward to, I believe...), finishing at 7.08m/m (although that's 0% incline so is probably more like 7.20/7.30 outside).

I'm whimpering already at the thought that the big freeze might be here for a few more weeks.  Please let it either snow properly, so that I can run in spikes to stay upright, or be completely dry so that there's not a thin sheet of ice everywhere...

Still, 50M for the week over 6 sessions and, touch wood, the man flu has not re-appeared.

• Steve - Sorry you're a little disappointed with your race time. Not ideal conditions though and certainly not a time to be sniffed at.

Joolska - The ice is exactly the same here. It lasted several weeks last year so I hope we don't have a repeat. It's very misty too and you can see the ice particles floating in the air.

FYI, The Farm were ok but nothing spectacular. For whomever asked (Keir?), yes, they were a poor man's Manc band! The gig seemed to be full of friends and relatives but we did get bused to a secret location for a party afterwards, which was also full of their family. We left quite quickly to go home and watch The Ashes instead.

• Re Brass Monkey - didn't realise you were coming down from the hills for it, Minni. If anyone else wants to do a blisteringly quick, brilliantly organised half in York at the end of Jan I may have a spare entry as my mate has to have a knee op which will put him out of action for 12 weeks - they will do changes if you do them in advance.
  • Great to catch up with everyone's running - you're all doing really well with 50 mile weeks, 15 milers here there and everywhere and getting round the difficulties that the snow / ice is presenting. Whether it's 2hrs on the treadmill, laps round a field, everyone's got their own way of getting the miles in. I feel a good vibe coming off the thread and can see everyone having a good time at their spring marathon

Keep it up!image

Managed not much last week with a mild cold/cough. Nothing bad but my plans to do a Parkrun took a back seat in favour of rest. Nice gentle 5 miler into work this morning was lovely.

Keep on keeping on

• knight rider wrote (see)
    Gul Darr wrote (see)

I hope they were the right kind of brownie points!

LOL! I really ought to read back through my posts before submitting them. Yes, I can confirm the washing was nothing to do with me needing the toilet!

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Nice to hear about people recovering slowly from the sick bay. Jools and Speedy, you  should be pleased with your milage considering where you were 10 days ago. Gul is up to 10 and all we need now is That Boy to get a full recovery and we will all be up and runnning (I think)

Saying that, I felt bad this morning. Chesty cough and felt as if the cold of middle last wk perhaps hadn't gone and I might have over did it a bit. Feel a bit better now though. Think I will keep running, but keep it easy. Too icey to go out this morning, but I will venture into the cold after school today.

• Minni wrote (see)
    Race jase - I'm doing brass monkey and can probably get someone to take your entry if you decide not to do it. Mr Minni is doing it and it will be his first half marathon. He's not as keen as me!

Sure, if it's allowable by YKH. I dont want anyone running in my name though. Naturally I would expect a donation equal to the entry fee to a charity of my choosing for the tranfer. image

knight rider wrote (see)

RJ - What sort of weekly milage are you going to be doing, are you increasing it compared to Abingdon?

I'll be doing largely similar, so up to c85mpw. I would hope that as Abo was succesful if I just do more of the same I will get a bit quicker naturally. I'm toying with the idea of just doing London next year and then sepdning May - November next year focusing on 5k & 10k and getting quick over those before another big build up to VLM 2012.
  • Race Jase wrote (see)
    I'll be doing largely similar, so up to c85mpw. I would hope that as Abo was succesful if I just do more of the same I will get a bit quicker naturally. I'm toying with the idea of just doing London next year and then sepdning May - November next year focusing on 5k & 10k and getting quick over those before another big build up to VLM 2012.
    You'll probably smash your 10k PB as you'll have the endurance in your legs to see you through.
  • Brrr!  Pavements were in a good enough state that I could do 5M recovery outdoors.  Hands are still defrosting as I'm typing...  It was beautiful out, though: we'd had snow showers this morning and the Avon Gorge was like something out of Narnia; the trees and rocks were covered in snow and frost and there was just a hint of fog.  All very mysterious and almost ethereal!
  • I hope so kr but I mean really focus on that shorter distance speed ala Monaghan's advice some time back. If I continued doing two marathons a year with the same sort of build up then I would ultimately get to the point that I'll plateau. And as I've had good improvements thus far next summer may be the time to change the approach a little.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

AoE - if this snow doesn't stop I might not make VLM never mind Brass Monkey!

• Hello all,

Really impressed with everyone's training - not an easy thing to do in the awful conditions. Some really great mileage being put in though.

Not been around for a few days as I left my computer at work Wednesday evening to then find work was closed for 2 days due to the ice and snow. Wooo Hooooo!! Still, a few days away from the computer was a refreshing change.

Joolska:  Wow, I adore the Avon Gorge and having a step-daughter at UWE, so I'm in Bristol and Clifton at least 3 times a year.  Love the place (although the Clifton Suspension Bridge is a little high and I have problems crossing it by foot!!)

Well, had my second physio appointment on Friday evening (had to walk to the hospital as the roads were so bad). It took me 25 minutes to complete the first mile as the pavements were sooo treacherous and a total of an hour and 10 mins to complete a 2 and a quarter mile journey!  Still, it was really worth it as I'm really feeling the benefit of the ultrasound therapy.  Feeling so much better although Mr Physio man has still banned me from running for a few weeks yet.  Have to say though, I'm just getting so excited at the prospect of even a little running in the coming weeks. WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!  It is such a relief to actually feel that I'm finally healing.  After 10-12 weeks of little or no improvement it really starts to "play with your head".

Of course once back, I'll have to build training VERY carefully and small steps at a time but I really hope to be back out there "tempoing" by March. SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!! image

You never know, I might even be able to post some miles and times myself soon!!

Keep smiling all.

That Boy

• As mentioned in my posting after the 10K yesterday, I said I was going to dramatically change my training plan for VLM, I am looking for the collective wisdom of you guys, I personally think something needs to change for me and am willing to try something new.
    I don't want to make this all about me, me, me but can't think of a way in which it doesn't so here goes.

History:
    I started general running in 2006, broke my fibula and gave up until I got a place in FLM 2007, I then followed a 16 week FIRST Program where I averaged 20.02 Miles per week (Highest 35.5/Lowest 0 due to a few newcomer injuries along the way) with one long run of 20 miles. I finished 2007 VLM in 3:29:18 and did a half in 1:33.

Did sporadic amounts of running (max 40 miles a month) for a few years and cycle commute to work, then got a place in VLM 2009, again followed the FIRST 16 Week Plan, average of 24.83 Miles for 10 weeks before injury struck again (Highest 35/Lowest 10, at least I did 3 x 20 Mile runs this time) and deferred entry through to VLM 2010.

Current Ideas:
    From the above and from peoples plans on here, I know I need to run more miles, also, I ran most of the above at between PMP + 15 to 70 seconds per mile, as per the FIRST plan, but I am thinking this may have been the cause of the injuries that I got in both plans..Therefore I am looking to ditch the current plan and following on from advice on here, start on the P & D 'upto 55 mile' plan, I have ordered the book which should come this week

I can commit to 5 days a week of running with Monday and Friday as rest days, Tuesday and Sundays I can do long runs upto 3 hours, by the way it took me ages to get agreement from the missus on that bit!

Current Training:
    Average 30+ miles for last 5 weeks, with a good aerobic base from cycle commute (16 miles each way upto 4 days a week)

Questions:
    Do people think this is wise move to change this close to the start of the plan?
    Shall I do a 'test' week, this week, which repeats the first week of P & D schedule to see if my body can handle it?
    As my longest weeks have been c. 35 miles, do tyou think my body will just say no if if it is a lot slower
    What type of pace should I be doing recovery runs at. 8:30 M/M? Higher?
    Should I just take up tiddlywinks?
    Has anybody got a link or can pm me the first week of the upto 55 plan?

Thanks for your help all and sorry for the length!!
  • RJ - If you're thinking of focussing on 10k/5k etc you should drop in and look at Stevie G's Moraghan training thread sometime. Interesting to see what he's got him doing. Very different to what we're all doing

Steve - My initial reaction at your background is what a bad time you've had with injuries so I'd have thought the priority with any plan is to stay injury free. Bearing in mind you can commit 5 days "only" you'd presumably be dropping one of the recovery type runs in P and D and hence max-ing at about 50 miles per week. I do slightly worry the jump from 30 to high 40s is too much for you and runs the risk of injury. That happened to me due to over mileage when I first tried the P and D 55-70 programme. On the basis of 10 per cent increase every 3 to 4 weeks- if you're doing low 30s now I wouldn't think low 50s in a few weeks is realistic. Can you do VLM as a test marathon and spend the summer building the base injury-free to have a tilt at an Autumn mara ? 

I know alot of folk on here recommend recovery runs to be REALLY slow. I struggle to do them as slow as I know I should cos I find my gait is weird if I go too slowly. I'm trying to get better at that

Don't think a test week is really valid - it's more the overall load of week in week out (almost) doubling your mileage which is the issue

Don't take up tiddlywinks just yet !

• That Boy - I may have misread your post but I sense you're feeling quite positive at the moment image Good stuff.

Steve - What might be an idea, following on from what Fraser has said, is to get P&D and have a good read through to see what it actually entails. There is a lot of 'general aerobic' running, which most would do at a fairly easy pace. Obviously you want to get the longer runs in so following the <55 plan might be loosely possible if you knock one of the aerobic runs on the head each week, in favour of rest or cross training. They tend to be around 8-11 miles I think (don't have it in front of me). Also, I think the <55 starts at about 38mpw so following that as 'a tester' won't give you any reliable information.

I think Keir has a naughty online link to the training plans from a website where they were reviewed.

Fraser Wells wrote (see)
    I know alot of folk on here recommend recovery runs to be REALLY slow. I struggle to do them as slow as I know I should cos I find my gait is weird if I go too slowly.
    Or too fast image High cadence, head up and concentrate on form, Mr Wells!
  • Cheers B and B - Quite rightly I can see I'll never be allowed to live those shocking pictures down  ! Concentrating on staring straight ahead at the gym wall these days....

• Steve - I've got to go but I will write you a reply this evening as you're in a similar place to where i've been with the FIRST schedule and the results you've got were similar to mine not that long ago.

Chat laters

• Laptop screwed at home so writing this on wife's itouch. Steve i'll have to do this tomorrow if that's ok?
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Steve, first week of P&D:

Monday   Rest or cross-training

Tuesday  Lactate Threshold  8miles with 4 miles @ HM pace

Wednesday  Rest or cross-training

Thursday  General Aerobic  9 Miles

Friday  Rest or cross-training

Saturday  Recovery 4M

Sunday   Medium-long run 12M

Weekly Mileage   33

• Jase/Minni - transfers are ok at BM. I have the organiser's email address and what info they need if you're doing a transfer. Let me know.

-12 this morning, and don't think it got much above -3 all day. Went out, Microspiked up for 5 on the canal with my mate The Herb. Very steady as he's on the comeback trail, and unfortunately his comeback came to a painful end after 4.5m when he seemed to tear a calf muscle quite badly. He walked back - i finished in about 40 mins.

Very impressed with the Microspikes - absolutely secure on sheet ice and great on hard-packed snow.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Blisters and beer wrote (see)

I think Keir has a naughty online link to the training plans from a website where they were reviewed.

Spank my bottom and call me Mildred
  • Evening all, Good racing Steve even though you were a little dissapointed with your time.  I've had similar concerns in the past with getting injured during training for marathons -  which I now put down to running too many of the runs too quickly.  Thatboy - good news on our rehab.

7 miles for me yesterday including 10 x 2 mins hill repeats.  Went out 4 mile slow tonight. Both runs were a bit difficult with the odd slippy area.  Temp down here is n't going to get above freezing all week but at least the snow/ice has mainly cleared so I can get out and give the treadie a miss. 

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

If only we had some snow I'd be tempted to try the Microspikes myself Andyimage

Steve - The P&D Up to 55 programme is based on 5 days running per week and the first block of 7 weeks starts at 33 miles and increases to 45 miles before a cut-back week of 37 miles.   The next block has weekly mileages of between 43 and 55 miles.   So, given you've been doing 30+ mile weeks, I think you could cope with the schedule if you felt it was right for you and were sufficiently motivated.  The important thing would be make sure you're conservative on the paces for that initial 7 week block and to run the recovery runs really slow.

• Blimey Barry B, hill reps on the ice - are you crazy! Good session though image.  I've not got access to a dreadmill, so have been going out with my Salomons on which has been fun in a strange sort of way. All last week, it has just felt like keeping the motor ticking over rather than doing any proper training. Maybe that's not a bad thing in prep for a 16 week build up?

SBD - Not having got a copy of the P&D book, what is the target time of the up to 55 programme aimed at - sub 3.15 I gather?

• No target times in P&D IIRC.  I found that helped - I never got bogged down in a session having to be run at a particular pace and just ran by feel image
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Yes - no mention of target times but recommended paces of runs are geared to your Goal Marathon Pace.  I'm sure a lot of the people using the schedule would be looking for sub 3:15 but I would also expect a few manage sub 3:00image

Thought I'd try a treadmill tempo today - I must be mad but I'm quite looking forward to itimage

• Steve What is causing all these injuries? You mention that you took up running then broke your fibula, then you got “newcomer injuries” in the lead up to 2007, then you got injured again in the build up to FLM 2009. First thing is to get checked over by a good physio and see what the problem is. There’s no point jumping into a high mileage (for you) schedule if you can’t cope with a 3 run per week programme. If it means you spend more money on physio / sports massage / gait analysis than running eqpt then so be it. Remember to finish the race you have to start it!That aside, there’s not a lot wrong with doing 3 runs a week (MP session, intervals and long run) as long as you do the long run at MP + 60secs. If you’re hurtling round your 20 milers in 2h25mins then you’re essentially doing a 20mile MP session every week and it’s no surprise you’re getting injured. I followed a similar programme prior to FLM 2009 and got round in 3h19. I made mistakes in that my long runs were at MP + 20secs, I ran a 20miler at faster than MP 5 weeks prior to FLM and then raced 4 times in the final 4 weeks including a 5.37 mile leg at the road relays 8 days before. Surprise, surprise I was tired on the day!