Paris Marathon 2007

Comments

• There's life in the old thread yet then?

How has the last 14 weeks or so gone?

Been mixed for me. The first week was difficult. I ran after 4 days but it was more of an awkward 3 mile hobble just slower than most peoople's walking pace. By 10 days I felt pretty much fine though and was enjoying running shorter off road routes in the sunshine through until the end of May. In fact, in that time I was probably running faster than I'd run before, shed a stone in weight since Paris and even did the Leeds half 3.5 minutes slower than my PB for the half without checking the time.

It all went a bit boobs up from there though. I started getting pain in my left leg in mid May and after 2 weeks of running through it decided to get some physio. 8 weeks on and I've only ran 4 times since. Hopefully its sort of on the mend now (physio again tomorrow and a shortish run today to test it - did 2x 2 mile runs last week and felt thoroughly out of condition, though that might also be to do with me finding that stone I lost!).

Having accepted this week that I'll not be doing Loch Ness this year (9 weeks ish away) my thoughts have turned to Paris for next year. I was 99% sure I'd be doing it before and now I'm 100%.

Hope you're ll doing well.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Thanks, H. I'm now older/wiser...

Welcome back,Treiziste.You must be disappointed about Loch Ness but registration for Paris opens in about 4 weeks and that'll give you another goal...with loads of time to shed shed-loads of weight and increase speed <--- Err, no, that's my plan...Good luck with the physio.

minx? Still in Paris? Are you running in 2008? * And are you on the Champs Elysees for the Finish, today? *

• I've been rather lazy generally.. have put myself in for Dublin, which is now just 13 weeks away.. if I don't do it I can just see the months ticking by with doing nothing.. however, I have run a few times and do intend to run later today.. just a few miles to get back into it. I'm seeing my sports physio again tomorrow to start my ritual of preventative maintenance on my legs.. having done Paris on virtually no training at all (see.. it CAN be done!!) and coming away with no injury I am now a converted devotee to sports physios :)

I will see her every week between now and Dublin...

• DV I am going to sport podiatrist next week for a full bio-mechanical assessment. It is expensive but will I hope give me some injury proofing.
  • The FLM entry forms are out now for anybody interested.
    I'd love to do both next year but i don't think it's feasable.My FLM entry went in a few weeks ago and i'm hoping for a good time and there's not much hope if i do Paris the week before.

Nice to here from you again Treiz.I've been very similar regarding running post Paris.I was running better than ever for a few weeks following Paris and since then i've struggled a bit.I'm starting to enjoy the running again and hopefully my times will come good again.

• B RubbleB Rubble ✭✭✭
    Just back from hols in Brittany. Was great but the car broke down on the way back and is currently in Rennes. Did get a few runs done out there along the coast so that was good.

Happy belated birthday ATM.

Sorry to hear about the injuries Treiziste & JJ. I have had some back pain due to all of the driving in France so need to do a bit core strength.

I have got the FLM mag and will put in my entry. If I Do Paris and get in through the ballot I will defer London for a year.

Training for NY isn't going too bad. 2x 40 mile weeks despite being on holiday. Back to 50 mile weeks now.
  • Wow BR - that's some impressive mileage whilst on your hols.

DV - see you in Dublin.

Did Brecon 10 yesterday, was very hot. At least I didn't collapse and end up in hospital like last year.

Bumped into Ribs at Brecon too, was finally good to meet her after missing her in Paris.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    I'm just about to plunge into cyberspace for weeks. * BR, my job's in Brittany. If I hear any stories about mad Welshman ....I'll publish them.*

So, good luck to everyone with the training for NY, Dublin, Amsterdam etc..
    I understand that subscriptions open for Paris on 1 September...:)
  • B RubbleB Rubble ✭✭✭
    Glad to see you survived Brecon this time Daz. How's the training going for Dublin?

ATM do you fancy picking up my car in Brittany? Hope the job goes well, its a fantastic area with great food beer, wine and places to run. I'm looking forward to the interesting negotiations with French garages that only seem to be open three days a week.
  • Hi all!

Not been on for a while, thought I'd see how you're all doing.

So, Paris opens soon and I see a few of you are turning your thoughts to next year.

After Paris this year, my bad knee was playing up and I haven't done any running since. Been to the gym 3 times a week working on my legs with the weights.

I would love to run paris again, and am still trying to decide whether to go for it or not.

On holiday for 2 weeks today so plenty of time to think. I never started training properly last year until the end of August, so that doesn't worry me. I'll have to have a run when I get back and see how the knee is.

If it feels ok I might just be tempted.

Good luck with your running in the meantime.
  • Hi BR - Training not going great, got lots of little niggles etc. However, due to a successful Brecon and no enforced Hospital stays lol and then period of rest last year, am still ahead of where I was this time last year when training for Cardiff full. So all in all, not too bad.

Hope your training is going well, sounds like it.

Have a good one all, off in a mo to the Mynydd Islwyn Murder Mile race. Short sharp shock I think lol.
  • B RubbleB Rubble ✭✭✭
    Excellent Daz - I'm sure you will have a good run in Dublin. How did the Murder Mile go?

Come on Bread Boy - you know you want to do it!

ATM - they do have computers in Brittany I believe, don't forget new thread in September. Retrieved the car on Friday, French garage was very good. They even let me dispose of the cheese that had been in the boot for a week in their bin. Bet they regret that now.
  • Did any of you stay in an apartment for the race.
    My wife loved her time in Paris so much she wants to take our kids next time. Only problem is we have three (from 8-13) so it is difficult or rather costly for hotels as we are split over two rooms.
    Any recommendations or ideas most welcome.
  • Hi everyone,not been on here for ages. Haven't run since Paris really. Thinking about entering Paris next year just to see if I can improve my time. Does anyone know of a fairly cheap place to stay as it's the cost of entering,eurostar and hotel which is stooping me from going as I have an expensive holiday to save for.
    Thanks
    Ps I'm trying to encourage Bro to enter again.
  • B RubbleB Rubble ✭✭✭
    Caroline, good to hear from you. I'm expecting you and BB to be there, you know you want to!

It's probably best to trawl the internet for cheap hotels, or try to find an apartment to share with some others (maybe talk to Drobton). Minx may have some ideas as she lives there.
  • Thanks B Rubble, I think I will have a good look on the internet as you suggest, as I would really like to do it again. I am going to enter London as well but I don't have any hope that I will get in.
  • Also is there a 2008 Paris thread yet,I know my brother started one up but it doesn't look like anyone has been on there for some time.
  • B RubbleB Rubble ✭✭✭
    Both IWDI and I have done the same and entered London. I think I will defer if I get in and almost definitely run Paris.

I still think that this is the 2008 Paris thread:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=&UTN=103068&last=1&V=1&SP=

We were saying that we'll all move on 1 September when the entries open.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Hello from France....
    I ve just run about 6 k to a Cafe and it nearly killed me.I m back to square one and it s depressing. Recovered from shingles but now have virtually no free time.I might just have to abandon all idea of training until the end of this gig...
    So...This thread feels a wee bit like home :)....( All say 'Aaaaaaaaa...')
    Oh, Caroline, do come. It was good fun and it can t possibly be as hot again.I get back home 1 September and intend to enter online even if it s midnight.Not much chance of running the Glasgow Half on 2 September, though...
    OMG! I m on a ' break' and now have to run back. My legs have turned to stone...
    Au revoir.
  • Hi ATM, well I will be back to the beginning again as well when I start running again. I have told Bro that im going to enter Paris again and his words were "you nutter". I must say I did feel so good when i was running health wise etc,I have put on about half a stone since.
  • Bonsoir mes amis.

Just got back from a fortnight in Bretagne. Marvellous.  Great to see the old thread still going strong. Undecided about where I'm going next year. Paris is favourite, but I have to admit a small hankering for Chicago and I'm not doing both.

Immediate focus is 10k PB which needs dropping before I do anymore marathon training.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Bonjour de la Bretagne, Jez et tout le monde...I m working, not on holiday and I m knackered. Ach, come back to Paris... although it would be great to hear about Chicago. The rest of us can do it virtually...

I ve virtually abandoned running  til I get home. Anyone interested in a Half in Paris in November? Minx, are you doing the Saint Denis? And if not, why not?

A+

• B RubbleB Rubble ✭✭✭
    ATM don't abandon the running, especially there.  There's so many good places to run in Brittany.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    LOL.. If only, BR. Back to the galleys....
  • B RubbleB Rubble ✭✭✭

10k for me tonight at Frampton. Gotta be quick otherwise it'll be dark when I get back.  Will I go sub 40 and get a PB? Unlikely as I still ache a bit from Sunday's 21 miles. You never know though.......

Jez do both 10k PB and marathon training.

Hope you get some time to run ATM. You could always do what Daz did and forego sleepimage

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Sleep? A distant memory...I m going to enrol for Paris 2008 when I arrive in the UK and start again..
  • I can't wait to enter Paris now image, i'm counting down the days till 1st Sept. Wasn't sure about entering again but definately am. Anyone else?

Haven't been able to encourage bro. His knees won't take that pounding again. I am going to take it a bit more seriously this time,as before I just went on slow runs, i'm going to do some faster runs this time as I really want to improve my time.

Am going to use Bro's treadmill as well. Is it easier on a treadmill compared to running outside?

• B RubbleB Rubble ✭✭✭

Caroline - great to hear you're going to do it - I'm a probable if it works out well with school hols.

I do a fair bit of treadmill training, it tends to be less impact than road running. Make sure you have it on a small gradient.

I think the best bit of advice is to vary your running surfaces as you increase your mileage. it helps you stay injury free.

• Bon jour mon petit chouxfleurs.

I'm up to an incredible 4.5 miles now and still no sign of the injury coming back so hopefully I can start running properly again in a few weeks.  Had to join a gym last week to supplement running for a while - the enforced break has left me as a gentleman of more substantial carriage, and that needs to change.

I suspect I'll not do anything race wise until the new year, just to keep the strain off my leg for as long as possible.  If it broke down again in Nov/Dec that'd kill off Paris, whereas at the moment I'm a dead cert for April and will be registering as soon as its open.

Caroline - personally I'm not a fan of treadmills.  Strangely I find them harder work than running outdoors.  I don't know if thats because of the lack of anything to look at, because I get hotter on them (no breeze) or because the pace is fixed whereas naturally I'd be going marginally faster or slower at any given time.  I think iof you can use them though they're a really good supplement as they're low impact and all weather.

Off down that London now to watch the mighty Dragons Catalans beat the plastic scousers of St Helens in the Challenge Cup Final.  French for the day.

• Well 7 days to go till Paris opens.

I'm only going to use the treadmill to start with as I haven't run since April and don't want the british public to think i'm having a heart attack after running 1 mile!!But I think I will use it as well as running outside just to keep my legs injury free hopefully.