Has anyone been injured and felt that they'd never be able to run again?

13»

Comments

• I've never tried it Trin, but came across it this morning while wandering aimlessly around the forum - this job hunting lark is exhausting!! It occurred to me that it must put some strain on the achilles - although reading about it this morning it promises to lead to injury free running. This sounds like a running nirvana but, hey, you never know. If it works for some - good luck to them!!

Fingers x'ed for the future - there seems to be lots of us in virtual running land willing you better.
  • Hi Trin, funnily enough this is the second time tonight on here I've mentioned my previous patellar subluxation and osteoarthritis problems which I was diagnosed with, aged 16.

I went from being an age-group national swimming champ to student / drunk / lay-about over the following 6 years before moving with work to London stumbling into running - almost 2 years ago now.

In my first year I had various knee niggles, which put me out for a day or three at a time, whilst making full use of a work-funded physio located in my office. In November things got to their worst when my right knee locked on a training run. I thought it was game over and, having restored my addicition to competition went home pondering which sports I may be able to compete with using arms only.

Just as well as I hadn't come up with anything when my physio manipulated my knee back into position. The next day I tore 45s from my 5km pb. I took one more rest day following that, before embarking on 242 days of consecutive running, smashing every pb by a hugh margin, including 8 mins from my 10M, 11 mins from my HM and 15 mins from my marathon, qualifying for champs entry.

Funnily enough, the only reason my 242 day 'run' came to an end was the same physio inflicting pain in my back whilst trying to sort out a tight calf. A rest day later, I went on the track and cut another 30s off my 3 week old 5km pb. Here's to another 200+ days of running.

And no more knee trouble.

Hope you get sorted soon - there's every chance you'll make a full recovery and come back even stronger than before.
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    (((Trinity)))
    Hang in there. Glad you have got a diagnosis, and have been given something to do about it.

I seem to be in something of a decline rather than outright injury. A bit different, but some issues are the same.

It really helps if you can reframe objectives so that you can come back from whatever activity you are allowed with the feeling "yup, job well done". It takes a lot of discipline not to compare with previous personal bests, even on training routes, or even amount of training done. Discipline worth developing though.

I was never a good runner, so I realize I am talking without experience. The competitive aspect never was rewarding for me. I think you do have to find out whether the buzz came from winning, or whether it came from running. For me it was obvious. If the buzz comes from winning, you have a choice: you can either take the long term view, and accept the inaction as just as serious a part of training as the running ever was, or you can go for some other form of competition, to get the buzz of competition.

But yes, all of us will have a last run. I've been obliged to consider the possibility recently.

(Candle in the Dusk under Inspirations to the right is my reply)
  • Thanks JEJ and Stickless... both your posts have given me something to think about
  • Hi Trin

pleased to hear you have had a positive diagnosis and a course of remedial treatment prescribed.

I can empathise with the uncertainty of carrying on with laborious exercises with no certainty that they will correct the problem but it is a potential solution - just do not rush into full blooded training too soon if you get the go-ahead.

February last year saw me with a Grade 2 tear in the ligaments in my ankle- the one that was so severely damaged many years ago that I gave up running for 10 years.

Patient physiotherapy and exercises got me back and in my relief to be running again, and to make up for lost time, I developed chronic achilles tendonitis which took 4 months to clear up - June to September

Just back into running after that and developed a sudden and very large hernia that required immediate surgery so another two weeks off before gingerly restarting.

Great running for the rest of the year and was then laid out by a virus for all of January of this year which has not gone away and flares up from time to time requiring rest.

Each time I have thought "enough is enough - stop putting my aged body through this again" (the aged bit doesn't apply to you) but each time I have shuffled out and the delight of feeling the return of some fitness has actually reinforced me at each setback.

So don't despair - it will get better - and as you recover fitness and form remember what it felt like not to run. It will be a huge motivator for the future
  • Thanks TS... you're right about the "huge motivator in the future". I don't think I'll ever have the 'not feel like running today' thing again.

But as for getting back into training too fast...my physio has already warned me that progress will be "frustratingly slow" for the first few months.

He told me on Monday that I can go out for a gentle 2 miles this weekend. Then I am not allowed to run more than twice a week for the first month, and each time I go out it will only be for 2 or 3 miles (barely worth getting my kit on for!).

But I will do as he says because I don't want to waste everything that I've already done and get injured again.
  • my favourite saying before was "I wouldn't even get out of bed for less than 5 miles"

after - 2 miles seems sooooooooo good:-)
  • I have just limped a 1 mile in 12 minutes pace around the block a few times after 2 months off with Trochanteric Bursitis and it hurt like buggery!!!

Saw the title to this thread and yes Trin that is exactly how I feel.

Having read all your posts I've decided to get some physio, I can't possible have any more time off running. I've put on 5lbs and my self esteem is going down the toilet.

How do you find a really good sports physio though?? Any suggestions??

<sits back down on her ice bag and pops another Voltarol>
  • Trin - that's great news. It's the beginning of the next phase of your running career. You can run! From small acorns etc, keep the faith.

Fat Fyes - personal recommendation is best - stick a post on here asking for physio's in your area. Good luck.

TS - you put it so well, after (just) ten weeks off any run feels good even though it's hard work, the pace is awful, I can't do the distance etc etc etc. Just to be running again when it looked for a while that I might not is great.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Hey Trinity,
    don't say 2-3 miles is barely worth putting your kit on for. I have struggled on and off for ~18months with ITBS. After seriously painful sports massage, a chiropracter, acupuncture and 3 physios I am finally "touch wood" recovering. The key was loads of lunges to strengthen my quads and core stability work. I went right back to the Runner's World "training program for total couch potatoes who don't so any exercise" when I tried running again. Starting with run 1min walk 1min. I am now up to 30 minutes 3x a week and completed the Race for Life a couple of weeks ago. It may "only" be a few miles but even being able to run that far has been a huge breakthrough for me.
    My advice, keep up the exercises and don't try and do too much too soon as you will just end up back at square one (or worse)
  • Hi
    I am glad I have found you all - hopefully you can help me through. I ran London (in 5:24 but did it) on APril 23rd. Left off training as you are meant to after a marathon and got back out there for a half last Sun (Wyre Forest hilly half). Going well and enjoying it I just got to the top of a hill (one of many on that day) when I tripped over a tree root (rural trail ) and fell onto my chest. V winded and unable to breathe well I finished in a sad 2:41. Went to A&E later that day and stayed in for 4 days on morphine to be able to deep breathe again due to poss cracked rib. I am really low, in pain and fed up - various estimates say I will begin to feel better in 4-6 weeks.

Anyone else had this - breathing is quite an issue when running and I so wanted to do another marathon this Autumn. Out of the question? Can I aim for a half at least? Love to hear your thoughts and cheery comments.
  • Hi Julianne, i broke two ribs and my arm falling off my bike two years ago and i have to say it took me a good 6 weeks before i was ready to even attempt a little jog. and then it was probably another 2 weeks before i'd try anything hard enough to need to breathe deeply. and i had to be careful only to go out when the pollen count wasn't too high cos sneezing was so painful that i almost passed out. sorry that this isn't very cheery but better you know now (or something like that!). i did swim quite a lot and hill walk on the treadmill so that i felt like i wasn't giving up totally. but depending on your fitness levels, you should be able to do a half later in the year i'd have thought.

oh, and my other top tip is don't go on a plane for at least 4 weeks cos it hurts to b*ggery!
  • PS. sorry to hear about the leg Trin but hope the leg raises help and you can start to manage longer runs (although personally i think 2-3 miles a couple of times a week sounds like a lot but then i do have ME)
  • in the cold light of day and feeling slightly more positive, i think i ought to apologise - i didn't mean to sound as patronising as i did. i suspect what i was trying to get across (badly) is that long term illness can sometimes leave you in the same position and often you need to change your perspective before things look up.
    you can get better and will run again and you have to believe that.

i'll shut up now before i dig an even deeper hole!!
  • (((more of a tortoise))) I have total respect to ME sufferers, and for what it's worth I didn't think you sounded patronising.

Fat Fyes... do you belong to a running club, because someone there would probably be able to recommend a physio. Or ask at the gym. Good luck

LMH & kiki d....thanks :)

Julianne...I can't really add to what more of a tortoise said but I guess, like for me also, it's the patience game, while you try and keep your fitness levels from falling too much in other ways.

As for me... I've been out and done the 2 miles. My legs felt heavy and stiff and a mile is a lot longer than I remember it. But I guess it's a start.

This weekend last year I ran 52 miles (the 50 Challenge) and came first female finisher... what a contrast eh
  • That last post was me btw...

Trin :)
  • thats great news trin
  • Trin, I had just joined a running club but the only night I could make was the speed work with the faster runners. I think trying to keep up with them is the cause of my problem....I'm a long slow plodder not a speedy person really. I've had a few recommendations and my friend who is just going into her 2nd year Physiotherapy training is going to ask her tutor if he can recommend someone for me....thanks.

However, I've had a great week of inspiration. After realising that I plopped into the pool for a quick cool down swim, I did 20 lengths without even realising it and the eliptical and bike in the gym have not upset my bursitis at all. The mile I managed the other day has not made my bursitis worse. So today I've bought a new bike (A Giant FCR)

........triathlon here I come.