Speed Distance Monitor

In order to accurately assess my training I'm tempted to buy a speed, distance monitor. Before I shell out all the money I'd appreciate others' opinions and experiences. Do they work over mixed terrain (built-up areas, woodland, hills)? Are they accurate? Is the speed updated often enough? Have you used it to good effect? Should I bother? Any info would be great.

Comments

• If you go to http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=5&UTN=421&SP=&V=6 you should find a recent thread on this, where I (and various others) posted our views.

The short answer is that they are quite expensive, not 100 per cent perfect, but on balance well worth having.
  • If you want accurate information I reccomend a Garmin GPS12 but as mine doesnt always collect consistent info due to loss of tracking (cloudy days - satelites being moody - George W Bush feeling intolerant etc) you may consider getting 4 or 5 of these gadgets and at least the weight will slow you down enough for me to catch you up.

Cheers
  • Just got mine today, and am wondering if there are any tips people have worked out through trial and error that might make my use a little easier? (Tips)