POSE Method of running?

Comments

• Good move Bear!

While you are waiting for your book/DV to arrive, try this.

Stand about three foot from a wall, keeping your body straight lean towards it and hold yourself away from it with your hands. Think! Feel the pressure on your hands of some of your bodyweight being held off from the wall. The further you stand from the wall the more pressure, and closer, the less. Imagine this amount of force pushing you in the back while you run, wouldn't you run faster? The good news is that you have, so you never have to waste effort "pushing off" along the ground in order to run. This is using gravity.

• You've whetted my appetite now - any quick drills you can easily explain please while I wait for the book?
  • Bear: Stand with your knees slightly bent lean forwards a little until you are balancing on the balls of your feet. Bounce up an down lightly and maybe a little more so that your feet are leaving the ground by a couple of inches. Stop. Lift your toes then your forefeet off the ground so that you have all your weight on your heels, now try bouncing up and down again on your heels. Now which was easier, more natural? Hmm let me guess! So why on earth does anyone run landing heels first??
  • Not really the same as running though, is it?  With running heel-striking  there's a roll through to the forefoot because you're moving forwards.

I'm not saying there aren't advantages to landing forefoot, I just don't think that exercises like that prove anything 

• Absolutely Bear! The object of the exercise was to cause you to think about it and to question. The drills alone will not get you to run POSE you have to understand what it is you are trying to do with them, what it is you are trying to achieve. This will probably challenge the way you think about running. So really the explainations come before the quick drills and are outside the scope of this forum hence the book and video reccomendations from all the coaches. But keep questioning!
  • GP, I like your first "exercise" a lot image

Bear, great - keep questioning.  The good thing I saw from what you wrote is that you already recognise with a heel strike that you end up rolling on to forefoot (you'd be suprised how few people don't even have the perception to realise this!).

So what GP is saying is that if you take the first "feel the force" exercise then why bother with the heel out in front if your end point is always forefoot under the body.  Wouldn't it be simpler if we cut our the midde man (heel) and just land under our body on our forefoot in the first place?

Here's another exercise:

Use GPs second exercise by bouncing lightly up and down on your forefoot. Now, very gently lean your whole body (without bending at the waist) foreward and see how you start to move forward. Do it on a soft surface and see how the more you lean the faster you go and the quicker you must "bounce" to keep up.

•  actually think I'm more of a mid foot striker at th moment - it'd be interesting to see where that took me with some shoes without raised heels. I don't think I'm landing that far in front of my body anyway.  No real lean though - so I'm guessing the forward motion is coming from toe off

I'm very much into analysing stuff - I started a physio course in September because I find human movement fascinating - so I'll definitely be asking lots of questions!

• Bear:  Do you have a camera that can take video at 640x480 resolution and 30fps? If you have then some video clips of you running before changing to POSE will be a really useful reference.

• Hi guys, I did my first pose 'run' since having the book and doing the drills yesterday image  more of a run / walk as I stopped running when I felt I'd 'lost it'. And I have questions!

My glutes are slightly sore today - is this normal for Pose? I know it's caused by altered muscle pattern activity but wondered if other newbies experience this?

When I tried a Pose run before reading the book, image I know, my calves hurt like hell. But after yesterday's run there's no soreness so I must be doing something right?

I'm finding it difficult to regulate my speed in Pose running. I started off too fast compared to my usual plod pace. I was aware I had to increase my stride rate and not spend too long in support so think I went off too quick with a big angle of lean and I soon ran out of O2!

When I slowed down I felt I was too long in support compared with my lean, if this makes sense? For slower running the lean angle must be less, yes? So I need to gauge my optimal angle of lean, subjectively, for slower paced 10 mm running. Then I can work on speed when I've got it.

Any suggestions gratefully welcome. I can't upload vids for anyone to analyse due to technical ineptitude, sorry!

• Hey XFR once it gets warm you can go ut and do some barefoot running that was what I started with, you can't do anything other than forefoot running withnowt on your feet.

As far as shoes go I am going for the most minimal race flats, maybe ones a bit more substantial for tow paths where it is stony, but basically they do tend to be the cheapest out of all the trainers as there is less technology in them. I also use a pair of retro adidas shoes from tk Maxx which weren't expensive. I bet those cheap pumps with the elastic in the front we used to use at school would be perfect, I never remember  there being running injuries back in the day like we have now..hmmm...wonder if we all ran pose-like when we were at school.

• Good idea GP - I don't have one, think I know where I can borrow one though image
  • Siance,

It is very difficult to say on a forum without video feedback. Sounds like you are overpulling a lot, which is very very common to start with. Don't worry so much about the lean at the moment. Feel like you are running vertical and concentrate on pulling your foot. You can develop sensations of falling in the free-fall drills (side ways falling etc). Your ability to gauge angle of lean will develop naturally over time -don't worry about it too much at the moment

It is useful to practice short runs of 40-50m at the moment while drilling between repeats. You will find it easier to run faster rather than slow jog for a while.

• seem to have picked up a cold - otherwise I'd have hit the shops today.  Got a TK Maxx in town so I'll check it out soon
  • >> ✭✭✭

hi i'm new to this method and need some help...

most of it i can do fine with no problem.

this advise was easy to get:

* S-shaped body form: Run with your back straight and your knees slightly bent at all times, including at impact. You should run at a height two or three inches shorter than your normal standing height.

* Short stride: Your foot should land under your body, not ahead of it. Remember that "distal" (far from body) equals weak, poor leverage, while close to core equals strength and good balance.

* Land on forefoot, not heel: Initially contact the ground only on the ball of the foot. Landing on the heel transmits maximum shock and has a momentum-killing "braking" effect

* Fast cadence: Minimum leg turnover should be 180 to 190 strides per minute. Increase as you get fitter and want to go faster. Remember: The longer the foot's on the ground, the more momentum you lose.

* Flick it: Don't yank the foot up; flick it up just enough to get it off the ground an inch or so. It will continue upward on its own; the faster you're running, the higher it goes.

* Free fall: Once airborne, don't reach with your stride. You're in flight, carried along by your center of mass. The foot will travel in a natural arc, then drop like a plumb line without any muscle activity.

but how do you do?

* Lean machine: At all times, angle your body forward to the point where you feel you're about to fall. Do not bend at the waist. To go faster, lean more. 

i don't really understand how i'm meant to 'angle my body forward so i feel like about to fall without bending my waist?'

and

* Pull, not push: This is the hardest-to-master part of the pose technique. After the foot strike, pull the heel straight up in the direction of the butt by contracting the hamstring. It should go up like a rubber band. Fight the urge to push off from the toes as you normally do, instead using the quads and calves.

how exactly can you tell if you are 'pushing with your toe' and not 'pulling with the hamstring'?

and if you are pushing with your toes how can you change what your doing?

thanks

• Alex Macaulay wrote (see)

* Lean machine: At all times, angle your body forward to the point where you feel you're about to fall. Do not bend at the waist. To go faster, lean more. 

i don't really understand how i'm meant to 'angle my body forward so i feel like about to fall without bending my waist?'

Alex, as far as I understand it the lean is the whole body forwards from the ankle not the waist. Waist leaning will stress the lower back. The drill where you get into pose stance standing an arm's length from a wall and freefall towards it should help.

jonp wrote (see)

It is useful to practice short runs of 40-50m at the moment while drilling between repeats. You will find it easier to run faster rather than slow jog for a while.

JonP, thanks. Yes I think I'm over-pulling - think heels are coming up too high at the back as well for the 'speed' I'm doing. There was a couple of times when I felt I'd got it and I noticed how quiet my footfall sounded, then I lost it again. Initially I read your post as 40-50 mins image !!

• Siance: Re  Glutes, difficult to say without video but are you sort of "clawing back" while on support in your eagerness to pull? or almost doing "bum flicks" trying to pull too hard?

I still find pace control difficult as the slightest change of body position or technique makes a difference, the sort of minor thing that would have gone unnoticed prePOSE. All the elements of POSE apply to any speed so try running under pace "ponying" along with baby steps, it is an exercise in using the minimal amount of any thing to just go forwards. Also as jonp says, keep the runs short and allow your body to get used to the change in use.

Alex:  Pull/Push, try running backwards start by falling backwards, you will find you do not need to push, and your feet will land themselves under your hips. Find an open space preferable smooth grass and really lean as far back as you can, you should find the problem is pulling your feet off the ground fast enough. In order to answer your question you need to do something diiferent to give yourself a different "feel" so different drills, the lunge and forward lunge will give you more feel for pulling and not pushing.

• Alex:

Try not to worry about leanfall too much at the moment. Do the falling drills as Siance describes to get a feeling of free fall. Leaning is about releasing tension and just allowing your body to move forward. A common learner mistake is to actively try and lean forward with muscular effort (which results in bending at the waist).  You will feel almost upright when you run, but if you relax the lower legs then you will be falling nicely (trust me).  If you aren't aware, the lean is the actually from ankle -> hips.

Pushing takes a lot of time to remove. Lots of correct "Pony" and "Change of Support" drilling. The drills help you develop the perceptions of pull v push so that you can recognise and remove push when running. You can tell if you push if you feel your foot "dig into" the ground when you pull. Video evidence shows pushing very clearly.

Siance,

Good. Your descriptions give me confidence you are developing correct perceptions. Keep practicing with consistency and patience.

• Just looked at my marathon photos which are the closest I've got to a video.  (number 368 if you're interested) Mostly it looks like good technique, just later when it got wet and I was cold and a bit tired my head seems to raise upwards. At one point I thought it was stuck in that position so looked down, felt really dizzy so up it went again.
  • woohoo!  my package has arrived image
  • Monique: Can you upload the photo or provide a link they do not seem to be available from the FLM site. Re head position, this might indicate stress/tension or with increased curvature of the lower back, "slumping". Slumping leads to plodding. Both might be helped by stopping, stretching up and refocusing, then going again.
  • Are you mad? stop in a marathon?

you can find them on the marathonfoto website, might need my surname which is Hollinshead.

Sorry my link doing is non existent

• >> ✭✭✭

thanks for the advice.

i worked out that part of the reason i didn't know how to 'pull not push' was because i wasn't doing the drills right. i watched a few videos, did the drills and then made an effort to flick the ankles up with the hamstring like in the drills. i did notice a difference when i ran today compared to yesterday. can't really describe it well but i had to make more of an effort picking the feet up then before - so hopefully i'm getting the hang of it. otherwise i've pretty much got it. the funny thing is that automatically run pose now and it's only been just over a week so i guess that is a good sign.

the only thing i have trouble with is running down hill. i find it much harder to land midfoot running down hill and don't really understand why. can anyone give me tips that can help me run down hill with pose?thanks again.

• Monique: Bear: Thanks for link. Not sure about the technique Monique but you have a great smile! Mad me, certainly! Yes I would stop If I was struggling to hold my technique together.
  • Alex, one week is an unbelievably short time to learn even the basics of Pose. A video of some basic drills and short run would be useful.
  • Monique: Have thrown together a quick webpage, take a look here http://www.poserunner.co.uk/page6.htm to see some of your photos.

Bear in mind that stills only show a moment which could be one bad out of many good and that you are about 24 miles into the race, when nobody feels exactly perky. But from these images I would have to say that it is back to the drawing board and more POSE drills before more miles and yes showing signs (despite the smile) of tension. But I have put my money where my mouth is, I have entered the FLM for next year.

• Alex: Re hills your body geometry stays the same in respect to the vertical force of gravity, the gradient angle changes under you. Therefore you land more towards the toes going up, and your heels going down. Down hills expose the slightest weakness in your technique and are best left untill you have more control over your "fall". And ditto jonp.
  • Monique, GPs analysis  v.good.

Pulling drills girl!

• jonp: Fancy the FLM next year? Dare I show everyone the photo of me finishing the first one nearly 30 years ago, David Bedford style moustache, lime green shorts, and oh! Heel striking.