POSE Method of running?

Comments

• It's really helpful to see the analysis of Monique's photos.

As for 'pony stepping' along - I find this difficult to get (referred to in the book as 'changing support forward' p.124 I think?)  If there's a video link of it from the main Pose website, could someone direct me? Think a visual will help me.

I'm doing the pony in stance ok and the pose change of supports in place ok too.

• That's where I've got to - my first drill image

video would be good for me too - guess I could always figure out how my DVD player works! 

• Not sure how good this guy is - he takes about thirty seconds to get into the ponies.
  • Bear: Best to get the DVD player working or view it on your computer. The book is good for the theory and the DV has a good sequence of drills to follow.

Siance:  Ponying is just running POSE but with the minimum amount of effort, range of movement, the feet barely leaving the ground and a smidgin of fall, just enough to get you travelling. but still pulling, still with a high cadence, your vertical oscillation should be almost non-existant.

• doh!  Now why didn't I think of the computer!  Thanks GP image
  • Well I now have Pose stylee shoes - not on the list of recommended ones but they seem to fit all the criteria
  • Noo shoos, Bear? image What are they like?

I have a pair of these arriving soon image

bu88er, the image won't show - they're puma alstens!

GP, thanks... does the DVD have those travelling ponies in it? image May have to invest in that too...

• Hello all,

Have been stuck in race-injury cycle for some time, and spending more time than I have on pilates, core staibility, cross training and keeping relatively low milage, my physio and podiatrist have more-or-less given up and had me referred to an orthopaedic - bah image

Currently on the bit of my cycle where hips and knees are ok /good and training essentially pain-free towards a half marathon in May, after which I'd be very interested in switching to POSE, and hope to stop the cycle reverting back to injury and actually get enough milage in to run an off-road 50K in November...?

Have purchased book and DVD yesterday, and have spotted H Streets on ebay in my size for $40 (+P&P) so I think I'll be selecting some in preperation of saying so long to my chunky motion control shoes (and my orthotics I expect?).

Aside from generally saying hello, and thanks for such an informative thread, I'd be interested in a POSE London meeting thing, although I probably won't be trying any actual POSEing until mid-late May. Would be nice to meet some of you anyway, especially if beer is in the offing...

• well I'm not sure if they're designed to be running shoes - they might just be some of the reto shoes intended for "fashion" - but they're thin soles, pretty much level - i.e. no heel, and seem to fit well.
  • Hi Heraroja, good luck with it all.

There's definitely less stress on my knee (ITBS prob) since trying to run Pose style. Lots more practise needed yet though before it feels effortless most of the time image

Here's another attempt at showing off my soon to be noo shoos...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:R7dLgIwutfs04M:http://www.barolas.gr/ftp/18284406%2B.jpg

• This isn't quite them, but they look pretty much like this

http://www.shoe-shop.com/content/ebiz/shoeshop/invt/sch340578/sch340578_WhiteandBlue_l.jpg

what do you guys think?

• Don't look bad bear - how flexy is it and what does the sole look like?
  • It looks like it will do the job Bear. Minimalist and all that.

They all look a bit leisure shoes don't they? Mine look like pimps' leisure shoes... image

The lack of heel is something I'm going to miss being vertically challenged at 160cm!

• sole is definitely flexible - can do the "folding the show in half" trick! That's all through the front bit as well and not just at one place.  Nothing too special other than that - just a texture to it for grip.  Not convinced it's hard wearing stuff but hopefully it'll do for now.  If I'm getting on well then I'm happy to get some others - even at full whack it's a lot cheaper than £120 for Kayanos or whatever it is now!
  • another thing is not many seem to have mesh uppers - is this a problem running in the summer?
  • I've run in plenty of trainers without mesh upper in the summer - can't see why pose should make my feet any sweatier image

I think it's more a weight thing.  These are pretty lightweight, just not as lightweight as mesh 

• As I mentioned above - there are H Streets up on ebay, although my feet are quite tiny and I don't know the extent of the ranges in sizes / gender, but my soon-to-be-here ones are these:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/heraroja/PumaHStreet-POSE.jpg

As I like Puma shoes anyway, I very nearly got the H Street Jamaica Gold Afterglow ones too, but I'd best see how I get on with the technique, heh.

<There's definitely less stress on my knee (ITBS prob) since trying to run Pose style.>

That really would be wonderful, glad to hear its working out for you  ^_^

• don't look that different in shape to my pimp shoes image

I would just go for some H streets but my size tends to vary quite a bit between brands so I don't really won't to buy something off the web.  Might pop into a running shop and get some track shoes if all goes well over the next few days.

At the mo my calves are quite achey even though I haven't been doing that much 

• Just tried a mini-run down the road - felt okay - apart from the fact that I don't think my calves could stand the bouncing effect for too long - but I guess that was expected
  • Don't know how it works with the leather uppers, but the only problem with the mesh on minimalist shoes is your feet get wet at the sight of a puddle, this tends not to happen so much with the runners moon boots most wear.

Bear: Do drills in lots of mini sessions with mini runs. Imagine your body hanging in mid air with your feet floating down to the ground and all you have to do is keep them up in the air. Forget the inconveniant fact that there is nothing holding you up. Keep this vision in mind while your run and drill.

Your calves will take time to adjust do not do too much to start with.

• Thanks GP  - will stick to mini-sessions.

Quite surprised by how quickly it seems to have got me sore - I know it's a due movement but even so I didn't think I'd done that much! 

• My shoos have arrived!! image <claps hands excitedly> They're a perfect fit and comfy. The accents on them are in a white suede - unlikely to be that colour for long where I live!

I've been practising the pony moving forward and it feels right now. I cracked it doing it barefoot, with a nice 'tap tap' noise on the floorboards as I did it. When I tried with trainers (clumpers) it wasn't the same because the soles weren't flexible enough.

I'm going to do this in between my mini runs - don't care how daft it looks image

Bear, the bouncing and bounding exercises will be good for building up the elastic properties of your calf muscles. Get a skipping rope image and learn boxer style skips, where the vertical effort is minimal and you keep on the BOF. It's common for the discomfort to be in the soleus as this is more of an endurance muscle than the more powerful gastroc.

• the ones I've seen in the book so far basically look like plyometrics.

my shoes are mainly white - can't see them staying that colour either!

On the topic of cadence - at first thought 180 per minute seems very fast - that's three per second!  Does it always have to be that fast?  I would have thought that when running slower (leaning less) that you'd need less regular prods under you?  It just didn't feel that I needed to rush too much.

• yeah plyos work on the stretch shortening cycle so will be good. Start easy though, plyos if not used to them can mash your legs - memories of training with rugby guys doing drop jumps - serious DOMS next day.

Cadence: I think that's why my first runs were so knackering - I was aware of the fast turnover so increased my stride rate - and soon realised I couldn't sustain it for long!

Some of the vids of ppl doing slow runs aren't doing 180 p/m... the pose principles should be transferable to slower speeds, at least I hope so image or my runs are going to be very short! I'm built for strength endurance not power, unfortunately.

• yes - just watching the Dr R vids (okay - I know some bits are in slo-mo!) but on the easy jog type things I'd be surprised if he hits 180.

Might be interesting to see what my heel strike cadence is - I might be surprised I guess! 

• did a quick test of my cadence over a minute for heel strike - came out at 167, so pose isn't that different
  • Siance: Bear: I usually run at 190-195 cadence. 180 feels slow to me, but others run even faster in the 200s. It is a natural consequence of the Fall, the elasticity in your muscles and technique, not something you should try and make or force to happen.
  • that makes sense to me - if this is all about natural rhythms etc - then forcing yourself to slow down or speed up would be counter-productive
  • 190-195 !! hmm, feeling inadequate image

Short run earlier in noo shoos and what a difference they make, the foot doesn't feel restricted, you can sense the ground more and they feel right image

Felt effortless - I tried to keep in mind the visual from GP about the body hanging in mid air and it really helped. My footfall was a light 'tap tap' image I kept my support leg under my CoG, landed on bent leg on BoF and kept it steady.

It felt right and I was tempted to go faster, but thought it easier to maintain my technique if I kept it slow. Just started to feel my calves tiring at the end but know I can build on this. A really enjoyable run and no ITBS pain image

• Siance: Bear: The Fall is like the accelerator pedal in a car the more fall the faster you run, the less the slower. As a consequence your cadence will change (but still remain high) the height your feet come off the ground and your stride length. All as a result of the fall. Put your body in the right position and your legs know what to do, you just have to allow them to do it. Humans are built to run!