Options

The Ultimate Post-Run Flapjack!

OK. I want a snack for after a run. Especially for when I am away from home - at the track or after a race.

I figure that the humble flapjack is a good option. Main ingredients are:
Oats
Margarine
Sugar
Syrup

Oats are fine - complex carbs for slow release energy.
Margarine is out. Even healthy oils are not so great after heating. So I'm going for coconut butter - full of MCTs (medium chain triglycerides) which are ideal for fat burning. Healthy too.
Sugar is out. Syrup too. Although sugars are OK for post-run, I want to do this without refined sugars as much as possible. So I'm going for honey (equal fructose and glucose) with a little 100% natural maple syrup.

Also adding chopped dates and almonds for for sweetness and flavour, plus just a few healthy seeds (pumpkin, seasame, sunflower) and some dessicated coconut.

Recipe was:
Oats - 200g
Chopped dates and apricots - 100g (or so)
Two heaped dessert spoons of honey
Drizzle of maple syrup
Coconut butter - 100g
Few seeds and a bit of dessicated coconut.

Melted honey and coconut butter on low heat - mixed in with everything else. Greased baking tray with coconut butter. Put in mixture.
In oven for 22min at 175oC.

Just out of the oven! Will let you know what they taste like in a while...

Anyway - here's where you can help:

1) Any improvements or variations to this basic recipe? I'd love them to be more soft than crunchy (like those ones from the garage that are really bad for you! YUM!) Need to be as healthy as possible though.

2) The obvious omission from this as the perfect post-run snack is a lack of protein.
Can I put in protein powder? Whey protein perhaps? Will that "damage" the protein in any way? How will it taste?

If I can get a great tasting, soft (not crunchy), high protien, healthy flapjack with healthy sugars/fat and nothing bad at all in it, I'll consider this experiment closed.

Anyone up for some baking experiments?

Comments