To run or Not to run

Last week I didn't run as I was ill, this week feeling better but not fully recovered yet!
Here is this week:
- monday : BodyPump
- tuesday : speedwork
- wednesday : Gym workout
- thursday(today) : scheduled : Threshold session 5M
- friday : rest
- saturday : scheduled: 4M easy
- sunday : 9M
- sunday 16/02/03 : race 10M multi-terrain

My question is: in order to do my 9 miles this Sunday to be prepared for the race on the 16th, what do u think I should do this week ( sorry forgot to say my legs are aching a lot).

I was thinking not to run tonight to save myself an injury and do the easy run on saturday and run the 9 miles on Sunday.

I will be grateful for any comments please (good or bad).
Thank You.

Comments

• It depends on what the aching is! Is it an injury or just tiredness? If you're tired, have a good stretch but if its an injury, try and get it looked at if the ache has been around for a while. The fact that you didn't run last week and have done three nights of cross training and running already makes me think it could just be fatigue.

I'd say that whatever you do, do the 9 miles on Sunday. You'd be more likely to get injured running two days in a row , ie the saturday and sunday runs.

Also, the threshold run will benefit you more in terms of improving fitness and efficiency than tickling around a 4 mile easy run.

I say move tonight's threshold effort to tomorrow , take tonight off and also rest on the Saturday.
  • Exactly what I would have said;
    Threshold tonight
    rest fri and sat
    10mile sunday but probably a bit slower than planned
    Mon day jog to gym for body pump
    Tuesday nice hard speedwork session
    Wednesday gym but give your legs a bit of a break
    Thursday 6 + miles at threshold Listen to your body.
    Friday nice little jog or swim
    Saturday rest
    Sunday race

Now after all that get back to you know where
  • batfink,
    Ok I think that sounds like a good idea. I thought I couldn't fit the running on Friday but it turn up I can So I will. Thanks for that. I think my legs are just tired, it's just every muscle ache!

jim the plum,
    are u serious?
    Anyway, monday night no training as I've got a meeting. Instead I'll do BodySteps and 5k run on tuesday.
    Can I just say, it seems a bit much before a race, isn't it? I am not (but wish) an experience runner.

Thanks Guys for your help!
  • 1/2M Girl,

How did the threshold run go? Are the legs screaming yet!

I spent last night being abused by a sports massage person who I think was trained by the SS. If I wanted elbows stuck into me with great force I'd get the tube to work each day.

• Hi batfink,

Did the threshold session today, felt a bit rusty at first so I had a longer slower warm up. The legs were fine but I could feel that i didn't run last week. Should be ok for my long run on sunday. Thanks for asking.

That's why I moved out of London...
    How is your body feeling today? Was the torture massage whorth it?
  • Hiya 1/2M,

The legs are feeling OK considering the hammering they got last night. They felt fine walking about this morning till I prodded the bits he was really having a go at - I almost fell over from the recoil.

Still, I ran in from Putney to Oxford Circus at a comfortable pace and have been feeling virtuous all day. Day off tomorrow and a 15 miler round Richmond Park on Sunday AM followed by a cold bath - as recommended by Herr Flick of the massage police.

Have a good run too.
  • Cheers, u too!
    cold bath.........................good luck!
  • Did the run today:
    9 miles Hilly on country lanes , went fine. I was very happy with my run today and only got lost once.

How did you get on with your run?
    What about "The Cold Bath"?
  • I was going to join in but if everone here's into cold baths I'm going elsewhere
    JJ
  • JJ,
    no cold bath with me :)
    How was your Sunday run JJ?