My first 10km

2»

Comments

• MM ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the support and words of wisdom and well done you in your first 10K.

I will stop getting in a panic - afterall, whatever time we do it's an achievement and something to be proud of.

Good luck on Sunday and I'll let you know how we get on!

M
  • Just go for it M! I'm doing the race on Sunday too, it's my first 10k and I've only been running since May so believe me, I am very slow. I'm aiming for 70-75 minutes and just want to finish it. So many people will be impressed that you managed to run that distance - just think how few people can run a mile never mind 6. The course doesn't look too bad, no massive hills and you can be inspired by views of the Castle.
    Go for it and see you with the 2000 others on Sunday!
    J
  • I'm M's big sis and to hear that other people are aiming for 75 minutes on Sunday is a big boost - I'm convinced it has GOT to be easier than forcing myself up that hill round Arthurs Seat! Big hugs to lil sis while I'm here for all the support she's given me - and for not pushing me off the top of the hill in my darkest moments!! aX
  • MM ✭✭✭
    Hi Big Sis
    You caught me having a panic!!! I'm meant to be your guru!!
    Big hugs back to you for putting up with me pushing you that little bit further up the big hill every time and I apologise for being a chatterbox when you are trying to concentrate! That's what wee sisters are for!
    See you later for our 3rd last session before the big day - yikes!

Lil sis
  • Hi again,
    Any tips on how much I should be doing this week? I was aiming for another 2 shorter runs (about 45 mins) before the big day?
    J
  • MM ✭✭✭
    Hi Jo
    We were intending to run tonight, wednesday and probably Thursday - no more after that. We will probably not do much further than 5K each time.

And we're looking forward to Saturday morning at the beauticians rather than pounding the streets - nice for a change!

M
  • I've been told today by a guy who runs 10k every day that the last practice run should be Thursday and only for about 45 minutes 'reasonable' pace - and then eat lots of pasta!
  • Hi all,
    Well done to Scooby Loo - excellent time!! And well done to Go Slow too. M, Slow-Jo and AnnieH - Look at it like this - it's your first 10K, just like mine was last Sunday - so whatever time you do, will be a Personal Best!! You have nothing whatsoever to beat - you just want to get round the course - which you will do! And think of all the people who are just watching the race, or, worse still, sitting at home on their bums!! You are better than all of them!! Another little bit of advice from me would be to really enjoy the race too - it'll never be your first 10K again will it!! So enjoy it and be proud that you can even attempt a 10K. Good luck to you all and let us know how it goes!
    Michelle x
  • Hi M, Slow Jo and Annie H,
    I'm another who is doing the Edinburgh City Challenge. Course should be fine, the only areas I'm thinking will cause tiredness is Holyrood Road (if open what with Parliament Building being built) and Jeffrey Street, but other than that it's all flat. Don't think I'll beat my 1hr 1min so looking at 1hr 5min - 1hr 10min. Used to love walking around Arthur Seat, one of my favourite places but now sometimes train on the Forth Road Bridge of all places. Over and back is 5km.
    As Michelle says - enjoy it!
  • Hi all,

Am about to do my first 10k race this Sunday. Have been training but can't seem to get under 1hr. I don't want to beat myself up about this as I have never felt better or fitter. There will always be people quicker, and there will always be people slower! The main thing is I will run it all!!

• Agreed, just going out and doing it is the achievement in itself.

I've done one marathon and I came right near the back.  It's funny when I crossed the line I didn't spend one second thinking damn I wish I was further up the field, but I can tell you it took about 3 months for me to stop grinning saying i've done a marathon... image I bet the first 10k is just the same.

• wow this forum was really possitive 10 yrs ago. image

• MilidhMilidh ✭✭✭

T Dog don't worry about the time on race day i find i always have a bit of extra, which is just as well because my training normally falls to pieces in the months before. My first 10k. I didn't run for 6 weeks as kept using the weather as an excuse (it was dec2009/jan 2010 and lots of snow)the week of the race I ran 5k on the wednesday in about 30 min then 6k on thursday in 35 min. then the sunday race day i managed the race in 1hr 23 secs in terrible conditions where times i had to walk due to the amount of ice and the 10k started with a 2k long hill. Oh and I crashed my car due to icy roads the day before the race. So as long as you get near 1hr in training there is a good chance on race day that you will beat the 1hr time. Good luck.