Honeymoon period over

Okay tough guys, you know who you are - need advice. Feb 2002: Watford half: 1:57; June: HillingdonL: 1:41; September Windsor Half: 1:38:59; February: Watford Half: 1:36:23 - still going down but but the difference in times is getting smaller... Roughly doing four runs a week, plus at least one other cross train (non aerobic). Speed, medium distance, hills, long run.
To get faster do I need to a) tie a parachute to my back when training; b) have cold baths; c) eat better food; d) run through rough terrain - or simply run every day and do more miles...

Any top tips for pushing me into the competitive running gang?

Comments

• Tips as follows:

Add one more quality running session a week: ideally a properly structured speedwork session on a track.

Draw up a progressive training schedule, targeting a future race. As you build up for this gradually add mileage and intensity in speedwork sessions.

Try racing shorter distances: eg, 5k or 10k.

Join a club, if you're not a member already, and train/race with them.

But, it sounds like you're doing OK: remember your progress will slow as you get quicker.

• Thanks donutto - following a marathon schedule roughly, so got the progressive bit. A track sesh is probably a good idea. I'm a member of a club but can never make the 7pm start
  • snicks

my first 1/2M time was almost exactly the same as yours (3 weeks ago) and i'd be proud of your current times! Keep your head up if you don't improve at the same ratio. I'm not an expert but a minutes improvement to someone with a 1hr 30min PB is probably the same as a ten minute improvement to me.

Keep going mate!
  • Snicks, I been in a position where I have felt similar to how you are just now.

My first marathon was 3:48 and I got that down to 3:40 with very little extra training. My first half was 1:40 and I got that down to 1:32 with a little extra training.

Now as you know I'm going for 3:18, will I achieve that, don't know as my training appears to be quality and following the schedule as best I can but the fact is that once you get to a certain level its smarter training that appears to do the trick!

I'm incorporating far more hills and interval training into my schedule now and whilst I might night feel the benefits just now I'm hoping that my fitness will have increased greatly by FLM.

Good luck!
  • Find a really flat course.
  • Thanks, Well done Wolfy. You must be a bit of a natural. I'm trying to include hills and speedwork every week, too. Dolphin - you might be asking the same question next year. Popsider - good idea, especially after the Connemara marathon in March - definitely not flat.
  • Bear in mind also the law of diminishing returns. There comes a point for everyone where the work reqired to shave off that next five minutes is probably equivalent to the total work you put in to run your first ever half! :)

• I think it's right to think that the quicker one gets the smaller (in terms of time) the improvements become. My PB for a half is 1.26 achieved last year (worked quite hard to achieve that) and yet I am not even sure I could better that this year, even though I hardly stopped running since then (except time off for the odd injury).

Just keep running and, more importantly, keep enjoying it. I am sure, you'll achieve your (sensible) targets in the process.
  • Good improvment in a year i.e., but don't expect to peak just after a year of running.

I think the best way to make further progress is to do your own training schedule! We have all different strengths and weaknesses, and improving the weakest link, will help you a lot. It's also quit fun to test your own training theories and dig deeper in the world physiologi.

Anyway, more miles and focus on pushing your lactate threshold to a higher heartrate along with a stronger and faster stride will probably be the easiest way to cut your time.

Runs that are a little bit faster than your current 1/2-marathonpace will push the threshold. To impove your stride read and practise according to Michael Yessis: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0809298996/qid=1044734113/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_2_5/026-2854227-3277233

Have fun and be consistent, :o).

• Thanks Janne. I think the point I was trying to make was this. I am spending the same amount of time running now as I did in preparation for last year's marathon. I simply cannot see myself doing, say, 2 sessions in a day (he says!). A max of 5 sessions, plus the time I spend on this website, is all the level of obsession I am prepared to tolerate!

So given this strong statement (!), and the fact that I consider all my sessions to be hard (i.e. cannot do them any harder), I think the only way I could keep improving is to get, like you said, get 'smarter'. However, although I've heard about 'smart running', I am no quite sure what it actually means!

Happy running!
  • One way might be to periodise your training - so concentrate on certain things in certain periods.

Re. Michael Yessis is he respected. I've got his book and am trying to apply some of his ideas but have no idea how he is regarded.

• Well if that's the case then I am doing the right thing I guess! You know what they say - in preparing for a marathon, whatever you do do NOT miss your long runs.

Can't help you re M. Yessis I'm afraid. Never read any of his stuff and didn't even hear of him until Janne menttioned him.

Cheers.
  • Thanks Janne, Former Lurker et al. As always, this forum is a fine source of info. Did a 10k run with a friend yesterday, and a 14.5 miles at Marathon pace today... gave me an extra push that I needed. Right, better check out the web link Janne...
  • Hey Snicks,
    If you can't make the WJ sessions @ 7 on Weds maybe you could come to ours in Chesham on Tues at 7.30. You woudn't have to join and you'd pobably know some of the peeps there. There's another WJ who trains with us and he's knocked loads off his times. Plus you'd get to train with the best ladies squad in Bucks with some top coaching.

See you around
  • If you look at the components that make us better runners, my completely non-scientific estimate would be to guess that in order to progress as a runner you need:
    40% - a balanced and progressive training schedule.
    40% - to deliver that schedule on a consistent basis week in week out over a number of years remaining injury and illness free.
    20% - Other factors e.g. diet and weight control, kit, conditions, supporting family, ability to train with others etc.
    Overriding all these purely “running” factors though must come the desire and motivation to actually want to do it. At the moment running probably has a comfortable corner in your life where sometimes it’s difficult to squeeze in all the training but by-and-large you manage to complete your weekly sessions without too much trauma. In addition, at the (very impressive) level you’ve reached running probably adds more to your life than it takes away.
    I see the situation you’ve reached as broadly having two possible solutions:
    1. You will have to disturb you equilibrium and start giving running more priority both in terms of the sessions you do and your ability to pick and choose sessions (i.e. need to do speed-work as opposed to steady running). This is likely to require a bigger time commitment to running; or
    2. To prioritise on a shorter distance and cram more quality sessions into the available time.
    Either way I believe it means being more single minded about running and making sure that whichever sessions you choose you are able to churn them out week-in week-out.
    My own view having tried out option 1 some years ago is that it can help you get closer to what you might consider your peak at a particular distance, which in itself is extremely satisfying, but family commitments, staleness and other factors may mean that for the “fun” runner it is difficult to maintain the required level of intensity for much longer than 1-2 year. For myself, satisfying the curiosity was satisfaction in itself. Looking back I think it was great to do it and I now don’t feel any huge curiosity to try and push those limits again (I remember running my PB 10k thinking “this is like sprinting!”) and I would advise you to give it a go (adopting the “if you don’t do it now – then when?” approach) but have a strategy to ease back or change emphasis once you reach you limit.
  • Pizza - I like the sound of chesham, especially the women's squad. Might email you about that. Martin. Thanks for your detailed reply, I think I'm ready to make a lot more time for running. At the weekend I tried running with someone who prefers running faster than me - a big help. I think what you say is spot on.
  • Snicks, I posted this on our marathon thread will try here to see if there is any advice from anyone.

Just start the day with an easy 4 miles twice a week just don't know which days though. At the moment I am doing intervals on Tuesday, mid-week long run on Wed, threshold or hills on Thurs, day off Fri, long run on Sat and recovery run Sun. Probably Tues and Thurs but am worried that will affect my quality sessions. What do you think?
  • I don't normally contribute to these threads as i still regard myself as a bit of a slowpoke beginner but I had to comment on something you wrote Sarcy...I was under the impression that you shouldn't really do two hard sessions on the trot but it seems that (if you include the midweek long run as hard) you are doing three hard sessions back to back...

Have I got this wrong???

• I wish I was in your league Snicks - but this sounds interesting

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0196.htm
  • Hi Snicks,
    Well done, you've knocked 21 mins off your half marathon time in only a year, that's an achievement most of us would be thrilled about, so there can't be much wrong with your training or running ability.

But psychologically aren't you in danger of expecting too much too soon. Remember you're in this for the long haul. Running is a life enriching activity to be enjoyed for as long as you physically can. So what's your hurry ? I'm sure if you carry on with the same training for the next couple of years, your times will keep improving - nobody peaks after just a year of running !

Have fun,
    Ian
  • Ian I agree with you but when you get a couple of PB's in succession it is very easy to get over-excited, which I think we have all been guilty of at some point or another. Snicks has done brilliantly, musn't get too worried if she doesn't achieve her goal at Connemara.

What I do is have 3 targets for a race, FLM for example as follows:

Ideal: 3:18
    Chuffed with: 3:30
    Satisfied with: 3:41 (PB)

If I don't achieve the ideal I shall look at my training plan for FLM and make adjustments so that I get closer next time.
  • Thanks Wolfy and Ian - I always get over excited, about everything! You are of course both right!
  • Oh, and thanks SS - I'll check that link out!
  • Final thing - I've signed up with PP online but never get round to reading the darn things! Spend too much time on here asking questions and talking about other 'thongs' (see Conne)