Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    nope Jej,never managed it.. got down to about 7:10-7:15's regularly a few months ago.. has the occasional run lower but think that was more due to depletion than anything else.

unfortunately I'm now around 7:30-7:40 :(, too much cycling..

seriously though sub 7 min miling is sub 3 marathon, if you can do that @75% you should be laughing all the way to the sub 2:45 fred :-D
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    still think 75% pace is a good indicator of ability (assuming a decent weekly display of nads, pubes and scrotes).
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Who is doing Yateley Next Weds then. I'll Start and any predictions on time.

JH1 - Hope I'm faster than June at 36.27
  • Options
    JH1 Kind of depends if we (apologies to RB, CM, MJ etc.) win on Saturday I guess, can't honestly see me breaking 30 to make kick off! Would love to run it as I haven't really raced properly (over 5k) since October and to quote JEJ many moons ago on the wombling thang Don't knock it until you've raced it. Expect a knocking post next Thursday.

JH1 - Hope I'm faster than June at 36:27
    CRAB - Hope Bubka's faster than last August at 37:09
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    can't wait ;0)
  • Options
    Should be a good race. Unlike JEJ vs JH1 in the duathlon (2 weeks on Sat), where he'll destroy me in a spectacular fashion on the 15km bike leg. I'm being overtaken by mountain bikes at the moment and don't have the strength to push HR over 84% max :(
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    I destroyed JH1 on the bike leg at windsor by a whole 17 secs ;-)

the fact he then stuffed me by over 1.5 mins on the 10k is a minor detail ;-)

BTW JH1 did you muller yourself on the bike leg or hold something back ? I mullered myself and my fresh 10k time is prob around 37.5 - 38 at the minute, and I ended up with 42:15 @ windsor. Although, like Crab I was lacking experience in the NADS department, and lost a bit of concentration on the last lap.

Crab, R U going to do any faster running before thursday ??
  • Options
    Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    JEJ- Once upon a time in a dim and distant past. Now wear a suit, don't work nights but am still on weekends.

Not totally convinced by results. I have never trained at this intensity before so I am becoming used to higher pace/effort. One question though. I am breathing harder, although not working full on. Do you find that or is it still a breeze?

It is all well and good at short distances. Proof of pudding will be 17+. Not yet ready for that yet after ED.

As for 10m, gotta break 70 1st, tho pretty sure if raced I would achieve this.
  • Options
    Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

I have got my number for Yateley,but i fully expect to be watching Engerland in the semi's (I've waited long enough and i aint gonna miss it for anything)however should the unthinkable happen on Saturday then 37.12 to beat.

JH1 - Hope I'm faster than June at 36:27
    CRAB - Hope Bubka's faster than last August at 37:09
    G.R- 37.12 or spare number for someone
  • Options
    At 75% HR my breathing is similar to when I'm walking. The only difference I've noticed as my 75% pace has increased is that I have to concentrate more to keep up the speed, otherwise it drops down into the low 70's.

CM I'm not sold on the idea that depletion leads to a faster pace for HR - my no-breakfast runs are generally 10 - 15s per mile slower than my lunctime runs, when I'm fuelled up.

Also experience in March when I managed 5:30 pace for 7 miles into a HM @ 89%max would suggest that being fuelled up helped rather than hindered.
  • Options
    Think I should? Is it really gonna make a difference in a week? Was hoping to get through it next week and then actually make some sort of effort to rid myself of pf so I can get the NADS out before Cardiff and make you realise there's no way you're gonna beat me at FLM07 ;o)

Bert (Yasso) You tell me coach. Was gonna womble over the gym at lunchtime - guess it would be nice to press the increase speed button for a change. 17km/h is gonna feel a might faster than 13km/h that's for sure.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Jej, I'd really like to believe that too. Just sometimes, particularly after a long steady bike ride the day before, my HR is noticably lower when running. Its gotta be down to some sort of depletion..

Crab, my coach has been going on about neuro-muscular fatigue as well as the other types. Tb be fare P&D and Hadd talk about this too (I'll see if I can dig out the quote from the great one).

From my coach - "This is where your brain and nervous system is actually getting tired and cannot co-ordinate your actions very well. This leads to a critical loss of efficiency, slowing you down.
    This session not only forces your n-m system to learn the lower cadence action, it also requires stronger n-m impulses to produce the higher pedalling forces. This is overload training for your n-m system too, and it will adapt and get stronger"

Apparently it can be trained very quickly (e.g. on the bike how quickly you can become accustomed to 110 cadence, it only takes 1 or 2 sessions).

So yes I'd say there is benefit, most probably in strides or 200m reps@800m pace, although I've got just about zero evidence to back that up !
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Just found this from him down there

"This thing about activating motor neurons is something many of you will have already experienced if you have run far enough. Ever noticed that you can chat away at the start of an easy long run, but that there can come a time when the talking stops? To activate ST fibres usually requires a low signal from the brain. So low, it feels "effortless", and you do not even have to think about running in order to run. To access those larger more powerful FT fibres (either in a race or at the end of a long run) requires a much stronger mental signal and this tends to force the brain to concentrate more on what it is doing and will often not have extra energy for yakking away. Timothy Noakes wrote that he found this happening to him one time when he ran the Comrades Marathon (55 miles?). He found he had lots of leg energy left, having carbo loaded well, but that his "mental signal" was weak since his blood sugar had dropped. If I remember right, quaffing a couple of quick Cokes soon put that right.
    Repeated activation of particular fibres reduces the mental signal required to activate them NEXT time, and needing less mental energy is a good thing. They find this a lot in weight training, people apparently improving very quickly. The improvement is not really in strength, but in ability to recruit the proper fibres at optimal tension. So it's a neuro-muscular thing."

so if you have been predominantly using ST fibres in your runs, then the neuro whats-it pathways to the FT fibres won't be as good. Hence do some fast running to get them activated.. as above happens quite quickly..allegedly
  • Options
    Crab - I've found MG2's suggestion helpful - this is regarding a 10km on Tuesday 27/12 last year:

"I would cut back from Friday and enjoy Xmas without any hard training - just steady runs. On Monday perhaps go for a 30 min steady but put in 5 mins or so at your 10km pace to stimulate your muscles - but don't push too hard or you will be stiff the next day."
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    CM

In a Tri the only discipline that is normally balls out for me is the swim. At Windsor I don't even think I could go balls out as was leading after 400m and kept going off course and sun was direct in my eyes. Reckon there was 30-40secs to be had in the water if there were a few faster guys there so they could navigate. Had a pretty good transition and think that is where I could get a few secs on JEJ at Dorney Lake especially if I can get Pyros off my mate.
    I worked the bike hard enough but just enough so there was something on the run. Stayed within middle zone on the run as tend to cramp up in the heat and just wanted to get to the last lap. I don't think that the Windsor 10k is particlarly fast with so many dead turns and the hill 3 times. Even fresh you would struggle to get within a minute of your 10k PB.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Someone I didn't recognise said hello to me by name yesterday, as our running paths crossed. Anyone on here??

Managed a quickish 9 miler yesterday at about 6 - 6.10 pace (don't wear watch or garmin on short runs, so a bit of a guesstimate). Very happy considering the 6 hour hillfest at the weekend. Feel like I'm getting it back (though not sure I entirely had it to begin with), but good news was no bad reaction from achilles injury.

Can anyone recommend a good 10 mile race over the next few weeks? Looking for a flat PB course; preferably SE or Midlands at a push. Want to get a Bubka / Isinbyeva improvement to beat the hour. Current PB = 60:00
  • Options
    Yoohoo

Just done a set of mini-YASSOOs maybe CRABOOs or NADOOs (definitely not MAGOO's cos that came before the warm up). 2mins on 1min off (@13km/h) with 3@16km/h (wanted to make sure I still hadd it) 3@17km/h and 3@18km/h. Felt good could have gone a bit quicker or a bit longer but probably not both. So keep that up for another 31minutes and I'd bag a 33:xx 10k - don't think I'll adjust the target just yet though. Boohoo ;o(

Anyone got any experience of Yassoos being a got indicator of marathon performance?

Dan A I guess you never said hello back cos you was in Larnden right me old cockney sparra? I thought I was the only numpty who tried to engage in pleasantries where the streets are paved with gold - and the pavements are covered in pigeon poo and fast food packaging.

Toodle-oo

Where's Scotty Burgulew when you need him.
  • Options
    Yeah, if JH1 can get his Pyros off his mate, then I'll be in serious trouble.

What are pyros?

pyro
    n. Slang pl. py·ros
    A person who has a compulsion to set fires; a pyromaniac.

How can this help in transition?

Crab - on the whole, yes. I'd suggest reading this: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=3&UTN=7090&SP=&V=1
  • Options
    Hail Hail

CRAB - on the whole, no. Just to be awkward! Dont go opening up the yasso debate again - you know that things will just turn ugly. But well done on your CRABOO's! Were the intervals based on time ran, or distance? I did my first set of intervals since Embra yesterday - 9M total inc 6 x 1k reps @ 17pkh. Could have done (as with you) them faster, longer, or more of them, but was pushed for time.

Rather sore head this am after celebrating Les Bleus last night! Bring back serious training so that I can go back on the wagon!
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    dunno about yassoos, but I found just before I broke sub 3 that I climbed the stairs in my house in 25.8 (approx) seconds.. where as just before FLM it took me 30.9 (approx) seconds...

I'm calling them bllckoos

spooky...
  • Options
    Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Stair Climbing
    CM- 25.8secs
    Ode- 32.9 (Humid and Hilly)
  • Options
    Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Sorry:

Bllckoos:
    CM- 25.8secs
    Ode- 32.9 (Humid and Hilly)
  • Options
    CM, how many reps, what recoveries & does it give a good indication of marathon performance?

Also, do you know what Pyros are? I'm getting scared and am beginning to wonder whether I should have invited JH1 along to destroy me using his mate's pyros.

I reckon my timebomb will be exploding in December.
  • Options
    afternoon all,

Sorry been a while since I posted. So to catch up:

NM2

Resting HR
    No idea

Max HR
    Almost had an idea but collapsed in an exhausted heap before getting a decent reading.

Highest Break at Snooker
    No idea - more of a (bad) pool player.

Stair climbing speed
    Directly correlated with beers consumed.

Darts
    12-darter 501 (180, 100, 100, 60, 11, bull)

Meaning I'm not top of any of the charts and bottom of most. But I have beaten Martin Lee at tennis and he's just got through to the second round of Wimbledon.

So there. (New nads please)

NDO - A mate's 30th and Ingerland game has put paid to me running Cranleigh (the World Cup is really interfering with my racing plans...)

Mostly just wombling to report for me although looking fwd to a bit of a nadfest tonight with the guys at my club.
  • Options
    ps I was joking about the Yassooos but thanks for the input. FWIW I've found they work out ~5mins faster than finishing time for me.

RB 2mins on 1min off - if you wanna know how far each one was don't get CM to do the maffs! Guess they were ~600m - not going soft just easing my way back into it.

Ref Bllckooos meaningless data unless we know what colour Scooby Dooos. Yellooo?
  • Options
    Hail Hail

CRAB - definitely going soft. 2mins each at 16, 17, 18 kph's is only 533, 567, and 600m respectivley. Less CRABOO's, and more CRABETTEs. Those sort of intervals are for girls man! Sort yersel out!!
  • Options
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    bit quiet in here today ? Is everybody knacked from their yasoos/craboos/crabettes/bllckoos ?

I did a long run this AM (~18 miles) and t'was toilet with a capital T. Decided to ignore the old HRM and was too fck'in tired after 15 miles to be arsed. Doing long mid week long runs before work really are susceptible to the old CNBA syndrome.

I've also noticed that I've slowed down lots (maybe as much as 20 secs/mile) in the last 3 months. Very depressing. It definitely seems, for me at least, the most important factor in running performance is mpw. Pace is not so much of an issue, its just getting the miles in.
  • Options
    Nothing to report, apart from going for a run, and my bike now having added Bling. Hopefully they will help me keep up with JH1.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    worth 0.5 mph I reckon.. Have you got tribars ?