Sub 3

Comments

• Hail Hail

Serious racing marders and CW.  Welcome back OO and well done.

Nice training hilly.  Bit of trail stuff myself.  20M out to and back along WHW where I met a filly who has/will be competing at Tri Worlds and more than likely GB in 2012.  Hilly and rough underfoot so very pleased to ave 7.10 (bit faster heading for home).  Great scenery image.

Early Xmas dinner cos Mrs RB made Xmas puds, so I nipped off to the shops and got some turkey - roasties, parsnips, cranberry jelly, the works. 

• Hail Hail

Oh aye - get well soon TR.

• Fantastic report LS21. Ha. image

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Abbey Dash Results

Sorry it didn't go to plan Jamesito.

Cracking run Marders, bad luck on the 6 secs.  Good chaperoning LS21.  Pleased to note that my clubmate took 1st V65 with 39:09.

Some fine racing too from CD, CW, MR, great stuff fellas. 

Ouch Ouch.. actually I don't think 3:13 will lift Dull any higher.  Top marks for effort BTW.

Nice training noted Hilly, TMap, Pisc.

10.3m today, pushed it along a bit.  Lovely morning for it.

Fingers crossed for all the lame & lurgied.  Nice to see TT making progress though.

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    wardi - you were mentioned in the pub. Twas a Sam Smiths establishment.

Nice running by your clubmate image
  • Nice report LS21

decent run by marders too. - Tough luck jamesito did you see what GC ran?

Charlie - well done on clock winning - how was your pacing today then?! (If winner was 72 and you was leading? - what time was you on for?)

Whos doing thirsk this weekend - and can you remember if numbers are to be sent out or collect? (its making me doubt I've actually entered!!)

Get well soon TR

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    A quick scan having not been on line all weekend

Blimey oh riley some rapid running in here.

TR - I have missed something but assume you didn't run today

Feeling like an amateur and a duathlete.

Yesterday I ran a 2.59km and coughed for 20 minutes after, Marders runs 10 of them in 30.06 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the bright side my duathlon career is fine as I finished 5th overall at the Chilly Duathlon today and won the V40 age category!!!

I'm old :¬(
  • Top report and hospitality LS21.

Smashing run Marders, must be put down to your accommodating host.

TR, Bad news on the ankle. Recover fast and well.

Dull, Not bad 5k my man. Mmmmmm fresh legs, i remember them.

Really strange race this morning. Made me see the thing from a whole new perspective!

Abbey Dash Report.

Got picked up by a club mate, and we got to Leeds late. 4 of us in the car - fast lad, looking for low 30, clubmates sub 35 and 40ish. My plan was to run easy 5k in 19:45ish and then last 5k hard, hoping for low 18. My target is Thirsk 10M next week. Got parked up eventually, and decided to warm-up going to the start, taking a bag between us for the tops.
    Got to the baggage area at 9:20, and got in the queue. The fast lad went to the start.
    Told Clubmate to go as he was racing it, and me and other lad would queue and hand the bag in.

Handed the bag in at 9:35, and it looked like the start was delayed a few minutes.
    But couldn't tell whether the race had started or not as I was about half a mile from it!

Joined the race queue, and reached the start after walking for 8 mins.
    Now came the quest to pass as many of the 7,000+ runners as possible.
    Basically jog/walked the 1st k in 4:45, and then bobbed and weaved until... well, until the finish really.
    1st 5k in 21:45
    2nd 5k in 18:47
    Basically a fartlek session.

Fast lad got to 4k before he had to stop and find some bushes. Didn't join back in.
    Clubmate #1 did 34:50, job done. Clubmate #2 43:xx.

Bit of a disaster overall. But made the best of a bad situation and was happy with my 6m/m last 5k, as I was running freely for about 50-100m at a time before either side stepping on to the pavement, hopping into the middle of the road or worse still, coming to a halt behind a group of runners.

Had to smile though when I came onto the Headrow, 100m from the finish to hear the guy on the tannoy shout "give these runners a cheer, they are breaking the 50min barrier".

Result Gun 49:xx Chip 40:32. Even stranger, I'm not on the results!

Maybe not a bad thing as this is my slowest ever 10k, even slower than my very first 10k in 1991.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Top bombing from CW (great stuff), CD and Marders today. Nice bobbing and weaving form Brian, and nice pot winning from Gobi

how great is it to see OO ? a real thread legend (and one of the very first thread marathon winner)

Gobi - fckn balsa wood legs are broken again !

• More importantly......

Beer report.

1 bottle of Owd Rodger. Marstons award winning country ale. 7.6%. Strong n fruity.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR - arse indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I omitted to comment previously on MR's good placing in XC, TJK making the best of getting up late (hey I've got a spare travel alarm clock after today, sounds like your need is greater :- ) and can now Brian's obstacle course.

wtgy>  how was your pacing today then?! (If winner was 72 and you was leading? - what time was you on for?)
    Umm, bit hard to say because there were some gradients involved; I think the winner was holding back a bit to check us out, and then decided to disappear. My first 2 splits were a touch quick though: 5:37, 5:38, 5:46, then 6:04 (uphill)... all in 5:35 to 6:05 range after that with modest hills and a little breeze making it hard to say how I was doing really. Last 3 whole ones were 5:45, 5:41 (slipstreaming #3) -- quite pleased with those at that stage in the game, though slightly downhill -- but then 6:01 (when I lost him), if anything downhill but into the breeze. Overall no real blow-up but maybe a bit over-exuberant early on.

Edit for beer report: one can Tanglefoot, a certain quantity of Merlot left over from last night, and may consider a cheeky G&T before conking out. Purely for recovery purposes you understand.

• LS21 - image

Excellent running marders. Pretty good field too, with 24 @ or better than 5m/m and 34:38 for a top 100 place!!!

CW, CD, MR, TJK, Gobi - a blanket well done also!

Brian - dealing with that from the off would have driven me nuts!

MG - glad to read you've got such a positive attitude to it. I ran out of positivity a few months back tbh! I just saw this on a thread on letsrun that may interest you, and those others suffering also.

Hey OO. Good to see you. All problems gone?

Re: thread rankings, though it would put me back on the list if they were two years, I, personally, would rather they stay as 1. I've always thought of them as a 'current' form indicator. If you're not on there because you've been injured, or what have you, then tough sh!t. They're not a GFA or similar, so I don't see any validity in referencing that as a reason to change them.

Physio exercises are a 'touch' painful on the quad - basically involve tightening the quad as much as physically possible, whilst pushing down onto a rolled towel which is halfway down your hamstring, with the intention being to force fluid from the knee joint. The good news is though that the pain is worth it as there is no puffiness around the joint at all, so basically all I'll be waiting for tomorrow evening is if the physio feels the incisions are closed up enough to start aqua jogging image

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Have read back to see some of the ranking comments

The rules were set at the start and are not complicated.

Year rolling ranking, it works

Simple
  • Surprisingly straight to the point there Gobi image
  • Oh, I knew there was something I wanted to ask. HRMs/straps for the Garmin 305. Are there any other options other than the standard one you get with it? I dislike the stiffer part that goes the whole way across the chest, and I've seen smaller HRMs where just the part that sits in the centre is solid, and the rest is a flexible/elasticated strap (Polar I think). Is there something similar available for the Garmin?
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    I can actually post something useful here!

Yes the soft Fairy Liquid/Andrex-stylee HR strap that you get with the 310 as standard now is compatible with the 305. You can buy just the HR strap for about £50 I think (no not cheap) from your local branch of RB-Shop.

Don't think Polar ones work - won't pair up properly, or at least my old Polar HR strap didn't.

One thing to point out though. You need to clean the softer HR strap after every run, cos if you don't it stinks. Stinks really bad too, and kind of seeps into the fabric so you can't get rid of it*

*that may be more of a reflection of my poor personal hygiene standards however*
    ;)
  • Excellent. Cheers for that LS21 image
  • "Year rolling ranking" - it may work, but it's not easy to say.

Turned out for Beckenham 10km Trail race today as the last club champs race for the year. Had a pre-race excuse in last week's tweaked calf which duly re-tweaked in first km. Didn't make much difference as the leading club m40 had hared off into the distance, so I'd have had to be happy with second place anyway. Slowed to trot and was going to jack it in, then thought give it a go. Quite pleased I did because I had a reasonable run under the circumstances on a lovely course through woods and paths and this proved the tweak was minor. Time for a week off and careful build up to LM programme. Thanks to GN and his club for a great morning out and the support.

Bit disappointed to lose first place thread HM ranking (in the Charlies-aged-over-40 group).

• Evening folks,

TR - hope the cat is ok!!

CL - take it easy on the calf

TT - good news ;¬)

Drifter - were the pain killers of the alcoholic variety!!

CD - nice 10

CW - well raced, esp off less than perfect build up

Jamesito - sorry to hear about the ankle

<bloody lots of folks with niggles at mo >

Marders - thats a cracking run so soon after Amsterdam. Good crowd at leeds.

LS21 - nice report. Marders - now i know how you missed Sub30.

RB - i see SS have a store at gateshead metrocentre now, laughed today when i heard an assisitant say club runners don't spend much money!!! not what my mrs says!

Brian - well done breaking that 50min barrier!!

Gobi - advantage of being an old git - nice (cat) win

4hrs shopping as warmup - then 13m round surburban tyneside in the dark and rain ;¬(
    Not the most inspiring sunday run, hopefully back to the hills and woods next week in day light.

48m last week, so starting to get back into it. Still enjoying reseaching and plotting my Ldn training plan but got a feeling i'll just end up doing same old same old with few tweeks :¬)

• Morning all.

What a great weekend of racing and training.

CW - Great half.

Marders and LS21 great reports.

TR - Sorry to hear of the injury, you have 13 days to get it right.

Zatu - Good news re: the injury looks like things are moving in the right direction.

Hilly - Nice training run.

I enjoyed 2 hours of pain free running yesterday and no after effects today.
  • Managed a half decent read back now and,
    CW cracking hm time, and top drinking too fella.
    OO, good mara and welcome back.
    Jamesito, hope you get the ankle sorted quickly.
    Zatu, It would've drove me nuts too, if I'd have been racing it. Glad to see that you have light at the end of the tunnell, and a bit of a comeback plan.
    Drifter. Be careful! Good luck with the rehab.
    Hilly, Good training there. You doing hill reps upndown them thar slag heaps?
    BR, Get well soon.
    CL, Good luck with the calf.
    SL, Good news. Hope it continues to hold up.

Rankings. Got to say I agree with Zatu. Shows current form, and that's all we should be interested in.

PF. Got PF in 2006. Took some good advice and backed off immediately. Went to physio, and she gave the reason as being a particularly hot summer. As a consequence of this, I became dehydrated, and was spending a lot of time in sandals. I couldn't run for 6 weeks. And took another 4 weeks to gradually up the time back to normal.
    I do most of my running at lunchtime from work, and was running up to 90mins in 25-28 degrees that Summer.
    I just didn't drink enough. But the fizz told me if I was running that distance in that heat, I should be drinking 5 litres of water per day!!!!!!
    Still not got my head round that figure.

Thing with PF is if you continue to run on it, it can become chronic. Must back off, rest and ibuprofen till the pain has gone walking, then build up the running very slowly, using the golf ball regularly.

• brian - do you have your thirsk number yet?

• WTG, No. I entered on-line and they emailed me to say chip and number to be collected at registration.
    Entry list is on UKResults, and you are definitely in.image
  • CL - I thought something must have been up when I saw you trailing behind Clare. But very well done, and glad you enjoyed it. I'm glad it's now over tho!

CW - Excellent half there, you really amaze me at how much speed you've got off a few miles but mad long weekend runs!

14 miles for me yesterday morning at 7am running around the trail race course that CL raced on, before marshalling at 10am, so had to spend a long time on my feet!
  • Morning all,

Some great racing and training as usual over weekend. Great run from Marders particularly amongst others. Got to mention OO's return who was one of the first fred marathon winners!

Good news for Tatu on the recovery. SOunds like a spring marathon could be a springboard to something much quicker in the autumn.

Just caught up after weekend away in Brecon. Did the Beacons Ultra on Saturday (46m) and dnf'd after 34m in 5.40 and in 10th place at the time. Fantastic learning experience for me (Pack was nearly a stone in weight!). Wasn't in great shape as I'd been injured so no long runs or any hills. First sign of cramp at 16m in hamstring. Think it was more  the muscle already exhausted and with 30m to go was interesting mentally. Tweaked my weak ankle on first lap, got lost and at hw was pretty much done. WOuld have dropped out but felt I had to at least run more than a mara! SPlits ranged from 7.20 to 23mins! For 3m on second lap I was at 75%mhr and doing 23min miling! Decided I didn't want to risk the ankle on some rocky descents when I'd nearly fallen on the first lap twice and now was tired. 3 hours of walking 12m would not have proved anything more to me...Discuss image

Got my mojo back after this race which I haven't had since the summer and looking forward to starting my next block of training on the 6th. I certainly will race longer again, and on trails but not on rocks as it's not something I enjoyed as the risk of injury is too great for me.Will try a gentle  5m later which will be interesting image

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Ode - nutter, 46m ultra off no long runs ! 

SL – 2 hrs is good stuff. You’re obviously doing well now. I just counted 13 days too, I saw the race email. Is this one all on roads ? is it flat ? are there mile markers ? Or is it just a run round the forest tracks and trails ?

Last nights icing and stretching showed that I have a pretty sore ankle and lower shin area. Hopefully a few more non-running days and then a gentle easing back in new trainers will help. My shin areas really struggled when I started all of this a few year back. Sometimes I think that I should run more often at a variety of paces, I think my legs would benefit from it.

Just entered Swashbuckler 2011 – don’t suppose Gobi will be there next time.

• Ode - sounds like quite an experience and double bonus with the mojo return too image A guy in work keeps trying to get me to do that one - at least this year I had a decent excuse! image No spring mara here. Best guess is Berlin at the earliest, possibly later, but that depends on how the early phases of training go.

CL - hope the calf heals up nicely.

Brian - when I'm doing high mileage I normally take on 5l+ of fluid a day, easily. Even when not running I'm probably still taking 3l+.

• Ode, You must be crazy even to think about that sort of event, with very little specific training and a dodgy ankle! Credit to you sticking it out as far as you did though. I guess it proves you have the mentallity for that sort of thing. Have you done ultras before?
  • Love the report LS21!  You were an awesome host and Mr and Mrs Njord should have a good time this weekend.  I think what cost me 7 seconds was that I stayed up half the night playing with your awesome set of scales.

Nice half there Charlie.  Always good to get a better than expected result.  Hope your niggles get sorted.

Did you ever think of just running with your bag on Brian?  Lucky I had a personal bag carrierimage.

Shame about the ankle Jamesito, hope it's sorted quickly.  Same for TR, though I think yours was probably caused by standing on your tip toes trying to get a better view next doorimage.

Top result from CD also over 10 miles.

edit: missed your post Ode, sounds impressive even if you didn't finish.  The deep end is the way to go sometimes I guess.