Sub 3

Comments

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Ode - you will be challenging Dan as the thread nutter soon :¬)
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Ode - good effort son. Brave effort to have a go on such a tough course off so little training. I came third in that race in 2008 and really enjoyed it. Would have gone back last year, but had to choose between that and a piss-up weekend at the Dubai 7's. Close call.

Marders - shocking effort not to find those extra 6 secs. Genuine sign of mental weakness imo. Hang your head in shame; you should be truly embarrassed at showing up the thread with runs like that.

CW - nice half. Great progress in the past year or so from you.

OO - good to hear you're still at it.

Strange weekend for me. After the general exhaustion of last weekend's 85 mile ultra, I took a full week off running, but went for a couple of short races this weekend instead. Started on Saturday with the Richmond parkrun; hared it round in second place thinking I might be close to a PB (currently 17.25 on that course). I don't wear a watch, so had to wait for the results to go up on line. Result came up as 19.14!! Must be a cock-up because it said I was three seconds ahead of 3rd place, but in truth I was actually about a minute ahead. Annoying, to say the least.

But nothing compared to the fun and games of the Richmond Old Deer Park 10k on Sunday. If you want a laugh, go and read some of the race reviews on here. In all the 150-odd races I've run, this was by some distance the most shambolic I've witnessed. Just some of the comedy moments were:
    - starter said 5,4,3,2,1.go.....while we were still being held behind a tape 30m back from the start line.
    - course was completely different to the one send out two days previously. It started with 3k on muddy grass on a twisty maze around the park. Leaders were misdirected four times; it was like the Monty Python 100m for those with no sense of direction.
    - at one point the front 3 (including winner Stuart Hayes - the triathlete) inadvertently headed off straight in the wrong direction, taking about 500m off the course, while the rest of us had to stop, double back 100m, and then have a static conversation with the 14-year-old volunteer marshal about the right route; he didn't really know what was going on, or where the right route was meant to go.
    - it was advertised as a fast 10k road race, but only about 4k was on the road.

But despite the chaos, and the 10.5k that I actually ran, I mirrored (well almost!) marders' 9th place finish, with a personal highlight being that I ran the whole way with, and outsprinted at the end, one of the fittest triathletes in the world.
  • Some cracking results over the weekend. Superb PB marders. Looking forward to hearing before long that you've shaved off those extra few seconds.

Very impressive sub 76 CharlieW.

Lots of bugs and injuries about at the moment. In the real world as well as on here. Hope you all get a speedy recovery.

Got myself back up to 60 miles last week despite my own lurgy early in the week, then 16m yesterday for 42 miles in the last 3 days (some of you can do that in a few hours, blimey). Feet, ankles and shins all feeling potentially vulnerable now so will take it very easy this week.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Good stuff outsprinting top totty DanA.  After that race you must fancy a go at the cheese rolling championships.

Ode.. a very good effort indeed, you do seem to have the bug for Ultras now.

LS21.. the Sam's beer in your local is 2p dearer than it is here.  You must live in a posh area!

WTGY.. if you want to share pacemaking/drafting duties at Thirsk, my clubmate Kev is running (34.47 at Abbey Dash). 

TR.. really sorry to hear about your ankle.  Are you ok on the steed?  (no twisting in theory).  BTW when our last gardener retired Mrs Wardi recruited a handsome lad in his early 20's as a replacement.  I've told her that when the current cleaner retires I'm getting a young blonde au pair.. and I will be supplying the uniform. image

• Do the math people. Even if I had have found 6 seconds it wouldn't have been enough, as that would have given me 30:00.  Don't be such dingbats!

Those guys are cowboys DanA.  I've done 3 of their events (maybe 4?) and they've all had some problem but yours sounds by far the worst!  First one I did it was delayed quite a while due to having a queue to get your number, then another queue to get your chip, then another queue to drop your baggage where they charged you a pound I think, then also a massive queue for the toilets (which is normal) - didn't help it was freezing cold so not many happy people.  Second one I was leading and got sent wrong way (actually, I didn't know which way to go and no one could tell me, had to stop a few times and ask) and eventually saw 2nd place heading in another direction so chased after him, lost about 90 seconds but still managed to win.  Third one we got to run an accurately measured 6.4Mimage 

A friend was in front of you and also got sent the wrong way so if it was about half a km then I look forward to his next 10km as he should be well under 35.

• Enjoyed looking through the reviews for Richmond Old Deer Park (it sounds so nice). I love the way that for any badly organised race there are always one or two reviews saying how fantastic the organisation was.

Can't help wondering why you kept on entering them, marders?
  • Zatu, Fluid thing shows up a weakness I have. Need to address it. Double whammy
    too, cos of the extra mileage going to the loo.

DanA, Shocking race selections.

Fr, Good mileage, and sensible on the easy week.

• Marders, Need to know the details of the 3rd one. Sounds like a pb shot to me.image
  • Cheers Brian I'll see you on sunday I'm not used to entering races so early, still got to get VLM entry in! 

Wardi, if you can get him to be slightly quicker and hold it for 3.8 more miles he's on! 

Nice work Ode

• I kept turning up as I quite liked getting paid around £50 for a tempo runimage
  • CL: don't worry, you're still comfortably ahead of me on the 20k rankings! Hope you're all fixed up soon.

Ode -- presumably that was not only an ultra but one with challenging gradients and rough terrain to boot. Just doing as much as you did without much prep is good going! I know from my Lake District adventures that a mile in that kind of territory can easily be worth two on the flat..

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    marders - you are right. The start was delayed by about 10 mins because of the queues. Only really did it because it is basically the 6 mile route that I run most weekday mornings. In fact, if they DQ'd the guys who went the wrong way, I was only one or two places off the cash. Close but no cigar; would be taking the pi$$ if they handed out money for running a 37 min 10-ish k I suppose.

Wardi - I did the cheese rolling in 2006 on a mate's stag do. Ridiculously dangerous but good fun & a hilarious spectacle. Stag broke a rib; his missus wasn't too pleased. Think it's been banned now for 'elf & safety reasons. There were only 35 St John's incidents the year I did it!!
  • I'm doing VLM for the first time in 2011 and I'm hoping to go sub 3 for the first time. My current PB being 3:09. Over the winter I'm upping the mileage but cutting out speed work and long runs. I'm just going to do lots of ten milers. Probably 8 per week over 6 days. So something like 4 days with one run and 2 days with 2 runs leaving one day off. One reason for this is that I live ten miles from work so the opportunity is there. I've been advised this off several people and then tweek my training with a bit of speed work and long runs nearer to the big day in April. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
  • sounds like a top plan R33, only cos it's about the basis of my training at the momentimage.  I run to and from work every day and it's 7.5M->9M depending on which way I go.  I try to throw in a session or 2 still but sounds like you're using it more like a base phase and if it works best then go for it.  I find it forces me to run which is good some days and not so good other days.  Try and get the long runs in sooner rather than later though and no need to worry about too much speed work.
  • Afternoon all.

Have been lurking, honest, but not posting much.  Sorry to hear of those benched (TR, Jamesito, etc.); congratulations to racers (I'm going to miss a lot here, but  Marders and CW spring to mind) and welcome back OuchOuch!

Post of the weekend has to be LS21.  Priceless.

Finally got some decent training done myself: 11M Friday, 5M Saturday and 16M yesterday.  It's been great to get back into it - I was missing it more than I realised!

PS: Marders: in this country, we say 'do the maths' image

• Given that it is mathematics and not mathsmatics why do we say 'do the maths'?

• It's one of life's little mysteries, MT.  I guess in the same way that we shorten 'Wednesday' to 'Weds', these things are not always entirely logical.  Perhaps back in the day there was an apostrophe to show that 'ematic' had been omitted?
  • Where I come from, it's also Maths, but I like to annoy the localsimage.  So we study Mathematics, or Maths (or Math for our USofA peeps) and we also have a mathematic equation.  So I was simply shortening the singular of mathematic equation and I come up with math as I was referring to a single mathematic equation.  Plural, singular, something like that? 

I care not though as I'm off on vacation soon so I'll be packing all my bags in the trunk after I take out the garbage.image

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭

good to see you haven't lost any of your kiwi roots Marders - dossing at people's places for free lodgings and searching out poorly organised races in order to bag £50 dosh.  I hope you spent all those savings and earnings on beer or at the races image

still lurking at this end and struggling with dodgy knee and generally hitting the xmas season too early and eating and drinking too much.  will be a long road back to PB fitness i think.  Wife was away (with a bunch of her girlfriends) this weekend, wich meant two 3.30am finishes, loads of beer, dirty food, rugby wathcing, poker and 10 pin bowling.  Good fun though.

Hope all the others benched improve quicker than me, and well done weekend racers, plus nice training going on.

Ode/Dan - nutters.

• Injury bench for me. image 

Fractured toe involving my sofa.  You'll be pleased to know that no pets or my girlfriend were harmed during this incident ! 

Doc says 2-3 weeks off running as its only a small fracture it should heal quickly.  Better now than near a target race so look on the positives.   Went dancin on Saturday and got smashed to numb the pain, funky chicken moves and its now killin me.

• Piscator -  I'm looking for sub 2:40.... well, that's what written on the wall in my office, but sub 2:45 is the target and I don't mind if I don't hit it, but I have to have a strong target.... Trying to get a 50mpw average.... as last time my sub 3 was on 41mpw average including only a few 50 mile weeks.

Looks like the Richmond Park 10k was very funny if you were out of a tempo run, but shocking if looking for a PB. There are too many cowboys operating events and I much prefer club run events as the people do care about each runner.

You could of course take the Spanish approach where everyone turns up with 5 mins to go, there are only 8 toilets for 8000 runners (like on Sunday) and still the queues were only 2 minutes. As I ran past 200m, I saw 5-6 runners dashing for the start.... as I went past approx 1.5k, I again saw 3-4 runners with the race t-shirt on dashing for the start....

• Gobi- DanA will always have that title!
  • Steady marders you're beginning to sound like my binlids.  One of them thought they 'quit' a club the other day.  After several hours of me explaining (think Basil Fawlty and Manuel) it to her she finally realised what in fact she had done was 'given up' or 'decided she wasn't going to go again'.  I managed to explain it without the reference to various members of the thread and their antics too - which would have pleased some around these parts. I used to enjoy the Cosby Show and Diff'rent Strokes but I didn't start saying Paris, France and 'like' every other fckn word.  I used to watch neighbours but I still know my verbs from my nouns and I don't indugle in rising inflection so when carrying out a simple task like responding to a request for the time I don't leave the enquirer in any doubt as to whether I'm sure that my watch is correct or not.

Ode shocking son. No more to say on the cousin of which we must not speak.

OO great to hear he's still knocking out 6min opening miles when he's in 6:30 or below shape - just like the good old days.  I salute you sir. I think (happy to be corrected) he was the inaugural thread marathon winner.  He may also have been the first. Either way he fckd me off winning a marathon in a time slower than my PB at the time and I've never quite forgiven him.  Glad you're back son. Just need venom to turn up now. 

I've just come off the phone from Lord Coe about the Olympic Qualification criteria.  He was fairly forthright along the lines of the rules have been in place and available to all since inception and as such if I don't like them some combination of sex and travel might be in order.  Can't say I disagree.

Just been looking at club swimming records for the local club.  I'd get beaten in the U9 boys but wouldn't get chicked in the U9 girls.  Jeez I knew I was bad but....

TR too many DNS's.  Definition of madness anyone?

Oh and marders a mate of mine once ran 30:00:00 for 10k on the track.  Which to this day remains his PB and as he struggles to break 40 now I reckon he'll take that one to his grave ;o)

As you were.

• it took 2 reads CRAB but I got it the 2nd time, just (I was too confused from the binlid reference to take it all in).

What is the time?

Normal person: The time is 5pm.

or

Normaler person: The time is 5pm?

Rather obvious in it's written form but maybe not so when talking to one of us lot!  I like to think I'm not so bad though.

Time to go run down a dark canal, and that's not a euphimism for anything, I'm just running home...

• Couldn't Run A Bath wrote (see)

Just been looking at club swimming records for the local club.  I'd get beaten in the U9 boys but wouldn't get chicked in the U9 girls.

Remind me not to enter the U12 boys marathon.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

SL - hilly it is then.

DanA - I hope you arn't saying that you overtook Michelle Dillon when you could have tucked in behind.

CRAB - madness indeed. Bagging a load of training to fracture an eyelash in the last weeks/days is getting a bit of a habit. Maybe I should just not bother to train at all and save myself some wasted time and money. Maybe Pug had it right by racing 3 times/week and not protecting balsa wood legs by just wombling............….mind you I’ve also had DNSs this year cos of kids cricket, footy, cos the dog ate my homework, cos I was washing my hair, cos the moon was in the wrong phase, cos my mum wouldn’t let me out to play etc ……………..maybe I should stop entering little races and just stick with one or 2 big ones a year, although I still struggle to make the start line of them too…..maybe I should just go and find something more fun to do instead….like power knitting.

• TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Jock Itch - your doc tells you not to go running on the broken toe, so you go dancing on it instead?  That's the kind of careful injury management we like to see.
  • Some impressive training and racing going on, Marders and CW spring to mind.  Also some excellent reporting, LS21 take a bow.

V little to report on my running, have just been ticking over post Amsterdam.  Had an enjoyable 10 mile muddy amble along the canal yesterday. 

Couple of quick questions if I may, I do alot of running on dreadmill especially intervals as don't have access to a track.  What do threaders normally set gradient at to on the treadie to account for wind resistance/friction etc.

Also as Christmas is approaching am being asked presents I would like, are there any decent running books worth a look, I have read the P&D book, any other good sources of info or inspirational books.  

Cheers

Murph

• Hail Hail

murph - 1.5% as a minimum, and allow for an extra 05.kph  (ie 16.5kph to replicate 6.00min/M).  But only if there's any football on.  Which apparently scobos and I will never see again cos those delicate little flowers got upset a being called some nasty names.