Sub 3

Comments

• Thanks for the welcome backs guys and yes Crab - your spot on, I was the first first but didn't want to blow my own trumpet, especially as it is now 3 years old and to be frank wasn't that a big a trumpet to start with. Good to be back marathoning, no one quite appreciates the normality of being sick into your own mouth whilst gleefully running around in 3C in tshirt and shorts.
  • Where has CRAB got his spot on?

I've just been amusing myself by browsing the St Neots HM results.  Hilarious name for the chap who came in 99th - Paul Fullalove.

• Murph - Daniels Running Formula has a lot of good info on the science of running. There's also some kind of huge book called Noakes lore of running (or something like that) that's meant to be interesting, not really a training guide though.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

lots of folks liked Charlie Speddings book.

I had my 5th and last 1 to 1 in the lido tonight, the inner dolphin should emerge soon. 

• OO in good old thread tradition. You could have least let us know you had a trumpet George.

TR I think we have a spare bullet after the Floppy Labrador was granted a stay of execution a couple of weeks ago. I'm happy to be chief executioner but I'll warn you I'm a bit of a gabbler me 'Readyaimfire!'.

marders I'm not sure if I'm more shocked that my extremely non criptic and self explanatory posts need more than one reading or that anyone reads it once let alone twice! That's a fair effort for sure.

And in 'running' news. Caught short not 1k from the gym this afternoon and was on a fairly busy road - nowhere near Broadstone or Creekmoor for the locals amongst you. Saw a shoulder high bush (well shoulder high if you're assuming 'the position' or called Dull) and then what I thought was some bastid hit the crossing lights and stopped the traffic. But no this isn't a pedestrian crossing it's where the pi$$ing bus goes (not from Creekmoor to the Waterloo Estate or anything) and there in broad daylight was a bus - more than a yard taller than the 'shoulder' high bush right on cue. Other than smile and wave what's a man to do? Which I think was appreciated by all and sundry. Oh how proud Dull would have been if he'd have been one of the dozens witnessing me putting the shorts he kindly donated to me to such good use on their very first outing. Beautiful. I could write a book on it for any of those looking for a decent Xmas read.

As you were.

• MtRMtR ✭✭✭

Just caught up on the postings since Saturday. Congrats to marders, DanA, Brian, Gobi, CL, JFK, CD, Ode and anyone else racing this past weekend. Some awesome performances, some excellent efforts and some tough running.

And it's excellent to see Ouchie back running marathons again. How long was the layoff in total? From about Feb 2008 until when?

Quite worrying how many injuries there are at the moment. Made me think about having a complete fortnight off (mega busy at work right now) before I start the marathon training. But then I went for a run.

Didn't get to do my long run on Sunday. Too much red wine from the Beka valley on Saturday night in the Lebanese restaurant meant that a lie-in followed by a short hilly run was much more appealing.

Gobi: If I'd known you were in the duathlon on Sunday it might have persuaded me to drag myself along (and I'd have gone easy on the red wine). I was thinking about entering it on the day for a laugh.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

CRAB - depends where you're going to fire the bullet from. Madly I have another 5 races all bought and paid for (in teh next 6 months) so I should try and at least make the start line of one or 2 of those before you put me out of my misery. I'd stick to running and poo-ing indoors !

MTR - quite worrying indeed, I'm even thinking of changing the habits of a (short) running lifetime, somehow or other.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sorry MtR I guess I am a little more low key about the racing I do these days.
  • MT, I met that very Mr Fullalove at the World Du in Edinburgh and I'll have you know he's a very nice chap.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭

MT - we sometimes look at names and there really are some 'smashers' in a list of results.  One of our favourites is a guy who was just in front of BR called Mike Hunt - say that fastimage

Nice run with the club for me last night.  It's so much easier to put in the miles in the dark when running in a group and chatting away not realising how many miles have slipped by!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Back on the turbo this morning after a hill session last night. My quads were a little tired when I started but all good.

I did once race as Flash Gordon
  • Morning y'all.

I saw the physio last night. He was, frankly, amazed, at the progress my knee has made since Friday. The larger incision is now fully healed over, there is very very minimal fluid left and I have a complete range of pain free motion!  image He wants me to give the larger incision one more day of healing before starting aqua jogging tomorrow, but was so impressed with progress that he has said I can start weight bearing/resistance exercise (e.g. cycling/xtrainer) on Friday. The day when I can lace up my trainers and start to walk/jog is getting closer and closer image , which obviously means I am on (or ahead of) target for proper running by Christmas.

Got a new exercise to do - a specific type of bodyweight lunge/hold which he has recommended I incorporate into my regime for at least the next year. It complements the form drills I will be doing as well, so double bonus! image

• Dan - sounds like a complete balls up of the organisation. Nice link! image

marders - did you realise you were down as 30:05 chip?

Runner33 - personally I'd be looking to get the long run in as early as possible, and looking to get one of the 10 milers towards the 13-14 range, but other than that, can't see a problem with it.

selbs - you've got to be one of the most injury prone on here!!! (and that's bad coming from me image ). Fingers crossed you can get back at it soon!

RB - do you really think that much is necessary to 'even' out a treadie with outdoors? I've seen a chart which suggests the difference is a lot less (~3s per mile) on a 0 incline, until you get down to about 5:20 pace.

• Zatu: great news. It could be down to your fitness level and general healthy life style which has speeded up healing; not long now.

selbs: you sound pretty relaxed about it all. I'd be shitting it; worrying about getting the weight back off. I've only got to stop for a few days and I'm 5lbs heavier.

Plantar faciitis update: I've been icing my left heel/foot and rolling the golf ball for a few days now, every few hours, even at work. I missed my LSR, first time since the week post VLM. Did 8 miles general aerobic last night and the left heel felt fine, albeit I could feel something but nothing painful, even afterward and this morning first thing. My main niggle was the other foot (ankle/achilles niggle) which I've neglected in favour of the left one. I need to decide today whether to do the 8x3 min session due tonight.

• ZfTT, Made up for you!

MrB, No! Let things settle down. 

• Brian: cheers...that's that sorted then. Do you think just a run of similar pace to last night's then?

• MrB, Sounds like you might be lucky with the PF. But if the other one is niggly, and it is around the achilles area, then you have two excuses to back-off.
    This is easy to say (do as I say not as I do) but the best thing I guess would be to run easy till both feet feel ok. Might be an idea getting a massage. When they do the feet properly it's very painful, but worth it.
    The physio I go to uses her elbow in the arch!

• TJK: we're quite similar then, although my target for London is 2:45 and anything else would be a bonus. My Edinburgh sub-3 was off weeks mostly in the 40s with a couple drifting into the 50s.

Zatu: yay! hope things continue to get better.

CRAB: you remind me of my 5-week old, who at least wears a nappy.

16M in this morning at 7:25mm. Nice morning for running, perfect weather.

• Brian: thanks, I have got massage booked for Friday, my next day off work; she also does ultra-sound. Think I'll probably ditch the planned 10K on Saturday in favour of an easier longer run.

CRAB: I always think of you when I run over Evening Hill image

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    MT - speaking of amusing names in running, there's a couple of brothers from the US, one of whom is big on the ultra scene. Step forward.....Topher and Randy Gaylord

TR - she tucked in a single stride behind me the whole way. Must have been admiring the view, the saucy minx!
  • Excellent news, Zatu (TFFKATT).  Have yourself a merry little Christmas, indeed!

Mr. Boat: more haste, less speed.  Very little to gain from pushing things before you've had a massage to iron out any tight spots.  Your fitness will not evaporate in a week.

• Can't get to the track tonight as I am going to watch my under-achieving footie team.
    So dreadmill session stright after work is:
    1500@5k pace
    1000@3k pace
    800@1500 pace
    600@800 pace
    All off 90s.

Just worked out the paces, and discovered that I won't be able to get the treadie up to the 800 pace! Which is most probably just as well. image

• Hail Hail

Good news Zatu.  And yes.  Its what I account for on the mills I use.  If I'm underestimating things, then at the very least it means I'm getting a better workout/running better than I had anticipated.  Would be interested in seeing the chart you mention though.  Having said all that, every mill is different due to calibration levels etc.

Good massage this morning, so only a slow 3M recovery effort so far.  Might do one of those "I'm better than I actually say I am" runs cos the football is on later.

• Thanks Jools: I do need reigning in and I worry about fitness levels when I stop; it's like I can feel my aerobic fitness flowing out of me and the weight coming on. Also had one eye on 3K miles for the year...no prizes for that though!
  • Cheers folks. Feeling quite positive. Each new exercise he gives me is quite intense initially, but I seem to be adapting to them quite quickly and only experience muscle pain for the first day or so. It did surprise me that he was so amazed, as this is the same physio who had me back running 18 days after I first saw him with my s-f a few years ago.

Mr Boat - as Joolska has rightly said...... Your base fitness won't evaporate from some easy/down time, and you may even end up benefiting from it.

RB - very true re: calibration levels. I'm sure I've saved the chart somewhere, so I'll try dig it out. I think it wasn't based on any particular treadie, just a general calculation based on effort levels, etc. I guess if you think about it, running on a treadie is possibly most similar to running on a track in terms of surface, and you wouldn't look for an incline on a track to replicate road...... The only differences are the weather, but I think it's far to say that (slight) wind resistance outdoors has the flipside benefit of cooling you down, whereas on a treadie you don't get the resistance, but you also don't get the cooling benefit (unless of course you set up a suitably large fan).

Brian - what are you trying to achieve with that workout? It looks mega tough to me, between the volume/paces and the recovery......

• TRTR ✭✭✭

TT - sounds good

Mr Boat - no 3 min reps. Back off and do similar again on the other foot. And I'm not sure its good that you've done an LSR every week since VLM, soemtimes you need a methol and physical break from it. Enforced breaks (for whatever reasons) have helped a few more than the know.

• Zatu - Great news.

Mr Boat. - Take it easy, rest up and come back stronger and fresher.

Piscator - nice run this morning.

11 miles this morning, longest mid week run for a while. Think I'm going to do some form of base training upto Christmas.
  • Zatu - encouraging (or "amazing" if you insist image) progress. Your dedication shines through your posts loud and clear, it really does. Dedication, and excitement. Do please take it steady.

"Steady aways" also for Mr. B, CL, Drifter, TR, jamesito and Jock. Glad to hear SL on the way back, you must have been chuffed to get the 2hrs done with no issue.

Well done Jools on getting back in to good training at the weekend. Contrast with selbs' weekend noted.

Well done lots of folk for plenty of splendid performances racing at the weekend (CD, Charlie, MR, marders, Gobi), proving a tweak was just a tweak (CL), and doing 10kms the difficult and probably unenjoyable way (Brian, DanA).

Ode - crikey. Interesting choice of race, without long runs and hillwork under your belt. Brave, to say the least. But you got 34m done, and I guess you learned enough to know what it will take to ultra (just for CRaB) to the best of your ability next time out.

Runner 33 - sounds like a decent base building plan, although if it's a significant jump in volume from what it took to get you to 3:09 then it might be unwise / too bold, and also unnecessary. I would also keep a weekend longer run going throughout, say 16-18m.

I took 3 days off last week with a suspicious feeling knee(cap). It faded somewhat with the rest, but not entirely. I'm training again and have noticed that the further I run, the less I feel it until after about 10m it disappears altogether. Perhaps I'm too sensitive to niggles after 4-5 years of basically injury-free running and should man up. Or perhaps not, based on the "PF for Dummies" posts of the last few days.

• Hi All,

I thought I'd introduce myself has 2011 is gonna be my Sub 3 year!

I started running about a year ago after signing up to Paris on a wim and realised I quite enjoyed it! After a 3:13 in Paris I wanted to try and get a bit more serious in Amsterdam unfortunately I managed to injure my hip and never really got the proper training of the ground, never did more than a 25 mile week! I still gave it a good go and did 3:00:40 so I know I can do it with a few more miles under my belt!

I'm doing all the B's next year! Barcelona, Boston and Berlin, and Berlin will be the one I reckon!!

It looks like there is some pretty serious runners on this page so I'm looking forward to picking up some good advice!

Happy running everyone image

• Zatu, Think it's meant to be a sharpener, as I am racing on Sunday.
    Two mates have done the session at lunchtime, and reported back that they took more like 2-2:30 recoveries.