Sub 3

Comments

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Cheers for the tips on the books. Some I have read. Always find it hard producing Xmas lists of what I want, and end up with giant size bars of chocolate. Looks like it will be lots of reading material this year image

BTW - I found Paula's book interesting from the point of learning how many injuries elites actually get. It made me feel a bit better whilst sitting on the bench this spring.

• ZaTTu - Where possible, I tried to do both a target MP effort and a sub MP effort in each week. 

Given both (as longer efforts) were a new (re)introduction to training I don't see how killing myself once per week would have been anymore effective than getting two solid workouts (plus varied long run).  I found the talk of 20+M @ MP (or faster) a bit silly - I'd have sore legs for days.  I did wonder whether pre Garmin / GMAPS etc, the old boys were looking at their time for '20M' rather than 20 miles and equating it to a more accurately measured (or were they?) distance in marathon races.  A prime example is the '5M' course in Victoria Park... it was measured as ~250m short by modern standards.  Do that course 4 times for a fast long run and you're 1km short...  a 1hr 50 '20M' run is 5:40 pace, not 5:30.  I'm sure there are many more examples.

However at the moment, given it's my off-season and family circumstances (1 month to go!), I'm down to one workout on Wednesday plus a longer effort over the weekend (once I'm fit enough to run more than 12 miles in one go - I'm struggling at the moment!).

• Interesting book list MtR although I would rate some of them very differently. Especially "Barefoot Runner", which is just about the worst sports book I have ever read. Fictionalised biography and not even well written. If you want to know about Abebe Bikila, a much better book is "Bikila" by Tim Judah. My favourite running book is "Running with Legends" by Kenny Moore and Michael Sandrock.
  • Murph1, I have the treadie set on 1%, always have. I know others set at 1.5% but I am a creature of habit. It's only a benchmark / comparison tool anyway. I tend not to use it unless I have to.
    Plus I may just do 1-2 miles as a warm-up for S&C or core work.
    I find it really hard (boring) to run on it at steady paces, so I tend to mix up the pace, or make it progressive.
  • Hail Hail

Ah, the mention of Kenny Moore reminds me that I have a signed copy of this by him.  Had forgotten all about it.  Its probably up in MtR's excellent category.  Especially if you like Nike.  image

• MtRMtR ✭✭✭

I enjoyed Barefoot Runner - although I accept the criticisms of - it was still an inspiring read, and that's what I'm looking for in a running book - something that makes me want to get out the door and run.

I did the session this afternoon. 1 mile warm-up then 8x800m fast, 800m easy. But not recovery jogging, something like 6:15 & 7:45 paces. Then a mile back home. Not the hardest of sessions, but it felt moderately challenging.

• +1 for Zatu's recommendation of Sonia's book.  I think it helps that the ghost was Tom Humphries who for my money is the best Irish sports writer out there for the past 15 years.  It's absolutely miles ahead of Eamonn Coghlan's "Chairman of the Boards, Master of the Mile" and even further ahead of Ronnie Delaney's book which is mildly interesting if you're Irish and mind-numbing if you're not (I am).  I enjoyed Spedding's book but was disappointed in that I thought that there could have been more to it.  Definitely worth reading though.  I don't think that anyone mentioned 'The Paleo Diet for Athletes' - probably best if this was the only mention...

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Clearly wrote (see)

+1 for Zatu's recommendation of Sonia's book.  I think it helps that the ghost was Tom Humphries who for my money is the best Irish sports writer out there for the past 15 years. 

Excluding David Walsh and Paul Kimmage?

I found this in the local library and enjoyed it: Why Die? The Extraordinary Percy Cerutty 'maker of Champions'. Along with Lydiard, he was a true running guru.

• MtR.  Top post re reading list- many thanks.  I am a bit late to the party, but here are my endorsements in the ‘just go and buy them’ category
    -Lore of Running - Noakes
    -Advanced Marathoning - Pfitzinger & Douglas
    -From Last to First  - Spedding
    -The Perfect Distance: Ovett & Coe- Butcher
    -Survival of the Fittest - Stroud
    - What I talk about when I talk about running - Murakami

A bit more 'up' than 'along', but I recently read this and loved it.

I felt almost like a runner for the first time in a month today.  I had an enforced week off after getting cold/flu and missing my marafun on 31st Oct, and have been grimly slogging it out since, with 7 sessions/week until this week when I cut out doubles as was feeling so carp.  Ran home tonight and actually felt reasonably ok.  Good stuffimage.   

• Good shout Clearly. TH was also involved in Niall Quinn's autobio, which is one of the best football ones I've read. I've got the Paleo Diet, but haven't gotten around to reading it.

Cheers BEJ. I like and am considering some of the suggestions on the darkside thread. Basically along the lines of one big midweek session, and alternating an effort long run with a long with 5-6m of effort. On the weeks where I do the later, I may do a parkrun or time-trial on the Saturday am also.
    Good point on the 'old-timers' distances. Christmas due date? Jr #1 was born on Christmas Eve. Makes for a fun, but hectic hols! image

Keir - I've been meaning to read up a bit more on Cerutty.

Nice one OS.

Ordered the Garmin premium HRM (soft strap) - Handtec have it for £34.

• Likewise I wouldnt recommend the paula book.  Would be fascinating if it explained why she is 3m 20s better than any other female who has ever run the distance.  (For men the same gap spans 1-168 on the all time list). Is it lack of depth in women's running?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Nice intervals MTR, & good stuff from Brian on the treadie.

Great stuff from Coro too.

Selbs.. a swift recovery to you (again!).  I guess from your other hobbies snowboarding must carry injury risks as well, but is there such a thing as a poker injury? image 

Best wishes to Jools for lurgey recovery too.

WTGY.. no I won't be at Thirsk.  Apart from a couple of low key club races my next major race will be the Brass Monkey.  Good luck on Sunday BTW, hope the weather isn't too cold.

I gave up with the Murakami book, just didn't do it for me.  One of my most useful reference books over the years has been 'Running Injuries' by Noakes & Grainger'.  Everything you wanted to know about why you're crocked!  I would like a copy of the Ron Hill book but it seems to be long out of print and secondhand copies are going for £35+. I'm not that desperate.

13m running commute home last night. Nice evening for it, cold & clear and even donned the shorts for it..  7m with the club tonight.   

• Keir wrote (see)
    Clearly wrote (see)

+1 for Zatu's recommendation of Sonia's book.  I think it helps that the ghost was Tom Humphries who for my money is the best Irish sports writer out there for the past 15 years. 

Excluding David Walsh and Paul Kimmage?

I found this in the local library and enjoyed it: Why Die? The Extraordinary Percy Cerutty 'maker of Champions'. Along with Lydiard, he was a true running guru.

Yes, although that's not to denigrate either of those two who are both excellent journalists.  They've both done an awful lot to expose the dirty underbelly of professional cycling and I have huge admiration for them.  I just happen to think that TH is a better writer.  He doesn't get the same exposure internationally as the other two because his primary subjects are gaelic football and hurling.

• Hey Murph

Fancy meeting you here!

Hope trainings ok for you. Would love to do more but its too bloody cold! I guess I need to man up, its only November!

Got booked in for Barcelona, Boston and Berlin! Berlin's going to be the big one. Its September so some nice summer training will suit me!

Hows things?

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

A nice list of books mentioned.  Read most of them and enjoyed, but like many did not rate Paula's.  My favourite running read was Running with the Legends - I found it really inspiring when I was at the stage in my life where I lived and breathed running.  BR was inspired by Ron Hill's Long Hard Road, but I believe it's no longer available, but sometimes a copy comes up on Ebay.

Thirsk 10 is looking doubtful.  Anyone live in that area who can report on the weather around there?

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I can report I own a number of these books but have not read them all, more interested in training books if I am honest.
  • Interesting to see who's reading what. As a kid I hated reading and still do now. In hindsight it
    makes me wonder how I made it to Uni.

I bought P&D but skimmed the science bit and went straight to the training schedules at the back. Still didn't get me a sub 3.

CRAB Good to see the shorts having such an entertaining debut.

Ouch Ouch Great to see you haven't retired, but Wardi is right your new marathon time still doesn't
    move me off the bottom of the league table.

I was surfing y'day and turned up this which may bring back memories.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Dull+Napoleon%E2%84%A2+images&form=QBIR&qs=n&sk=#focal=8bf59f471207c0b3d32a67bac237d808&furl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.runnersworld.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fimages%2F250x242blisterouchand.jpg

In the year when there was no Abingdon, my attempt to find a flat October alternative in Devon was another dismal failure.

marders Stunning performance. I hope the number 30 doesn't now become a millstone around your neck.

Feeling strangely demotivated at the moment, and when I do go out my legs feel very unresponsive even after a rest day.
    I have to count my blessings though, it's better than being benched.

Good luck to those on stage this weekend, and sorry to those I've missed.

Dull
  • Rich W -  If you need any info on Barcelona before you come over, please let me know. I am sure that those who ran last year can also help, but I am currently sitting 200m from the start and can see the sunshine beating down on Placa Espana. Hopefully it will still be cold in March and the run will be in perfect conditions like last year.

A steady 8.3 for me this morning down to the beach and along for a while. Had to take yesterday off as I bum hurt a little and I did not want to risk things too much. No issues this morning so up to 33 for the week so far.

No more races for me until the Buff Epic Run on the last weekend before Christmas. It´s a mini version of Tough Guy and is usually done in costume.. Looking forward to it!!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

I ahve Gordo's book (for reference purposes) and thats it ! 

Brrrrrr, it was a bit parky for this mornings aerobics. After a couple of short, flat (and hairy ?) test wombles I thought I’d push it up a bit today and bagged about 9M back on my more hilly route and my ankle twinged a few times. So I think I’ll go back to the flat for a while.

• Ah yes. Now training books I have a lot of, perhaps unsurprisingly, and they would typically be what I would read first. Expecting a few more for Christmas. On the subject of books, I have noticed that a lot of those written by 'old-timers' tend to be a mix of training and autobiographical, whereas the more modern ones tend towards the latter style, possibly indicative of a change in attitudes?

BEJ - meant to say yesterday, I liked the ZaTTu image

First bit of weight bearing exercise here this am - a gentle 30mins on the xtrainer. Pleased to report that not only was the knee pain free, but it seems to have actually helped it in terms of loosening it up, so better by far than I'd dared hope for image
  • Hail Hail

Ah memories Dull.  Its all you've got left in your old age.  I may be one of the few to remember that photo though.

Well played TR and OS.  Good to see you back at it.

Good commuting wardi.

Lurgi here.  TR advised killing the virus with alcohol, so I have booked an appointment at the bar for this afternoon.

• Up in Yorkshire on a conference and suddenly find myself participating in a multi-terrain race tomorrow with Hilly, Njord and LS21. Obviously for me it's just going to be a training session so I fully expect to come last. Please remind me of this post when it happens, lest I have total thread embarassment for the next x years. There's no way I'm going out hard but it'll be great fun to meet some of you.

Now up to 6x per week but all still very gentle and very careful. Tomorrow's 4.75m outing is just about ideal. Then down to London for the photoshoot! image

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

WTGY & Hilly.. my spy in the Thirsk/Ripon area tells me there is currently a layer of snow & black ice on all lesser used roads.  Not looking too promising looking at the weather outlook & depending on their health & safety requirements.

Nice wombling TR.

Dull.. nice picture!  Haven't heard from Blisters for a while come to think of it.  BTW Marders did manage a sub 30 min 10k on the track in the late summer.  

RB. you're right about the memories in old age, don't forget the free bus pass though. image

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    LS21 participating in a muitli terrain race ? is this wise ?
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

yeah i raised an eyebrow at that one.... hopefully it means easing off the bench!

• Well if he shouldn't nor should I!

Maybe he will join me in being the 'Lanterne Rouge'!

• Oh, I missed LS21's name....... Well hopefully he's had a miraculous recovery.......

Just had a physio appt. Progress has continued apace, so apparently I should able to start 'running' by next weekend, so definitely on target to be running properly by Christmas! image

• Fantastic news Zatu TT - sounds so encouraging.

Just sat through an interminably boring talk. God almighty it was dull.

• Mixed bag of books mentioned...love Feet in the Clouds, like The Perfect Distance, bored by Murakami, sent to sleep by Paula's job(by). Thought Barefoot Runner was decent enough.

Brilliant run this morning...just under an hour of snowy road and trails. About 5 inches of virgin snow in places, not a breath of wind and some stunning mountain views. Fantastic. Followed by a drive through a blizzard to get some lunch.

Supposed to be heading over to Skye tomorrow morning for a long run, but not sure how feasible it'll be (the drive there or the run!) looking at the overnight forecast. Will need to just play it by ear. Then hopefully a (deep) snowy hill run/plod on Sunday.

Looking to make the most of the weekend as it's simply stunning here in Kintail just now. Might be entertaining getting back down to Glasgow on Monday though...