Sub 3

Comments

• lol Jools. If you were Irish the fluidity would also come (very) naturally! image Yes, still very positive overall - he did say that if it clears up fully by next week and he gives me the go-ahead I'd apparently still be two weeks ahead of the norm for what I've had done, which given the short time period anyway, is sizeable, but just itching to try it out. It's like having a new toy and not being able to use it!

• 15 miles on a treadmill today.... there's only so many times you can count the bricks on the wall, or read the subtitles on loose women!!!

Wednesday night I did about 18 laps of the park...

I'd find a bridge to throw myself off but the snow would only break my fall image

• MtR wrote (see)
    Hackney Marshes parkrun and our club 10 mile race have both been called off. Very annoying as it means I may have to do some decorating instead.

I ran round the Hackney Marshes parkrun course this morning and rather lovely it was too. Part of the most enjoyable run I've done this week in fact. Although if people weren't wearing proper shoes much of the path might be dodgy.

Must say I'm astonished to see all the praise for the Pegasus' (?) ice-gripping abilities. I run in Pegs (note the plural) and I find them rather slippy on some wet surfaces let alone ice. Mind you I'm perfectly capable of falling over in even the most perfect conditions.

Zatu, must be so frustrating, but not much longer now.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Eastleigh will be on if I have to clear the route and the roads myself !!!

Working on other options for Sunday but likely will see me jogging along the A4
  • I've been stymied by the snow/ice combination and a low-grade cough so I haven't been out since tuesday, but these tales of 18 park laps are inspiring me to get out in the stuff tomorrow AM. The Met office is predicting a high of +5, so maybe some of it will start to melt.

I take it running in the snow you guys just chuck pace out the window and go on effort?
  • Gobi I'd go early in that case.
    Zatu So close, patience now.

Found some roads with tarmac showing through the ice/snow/slush today and managed my easiest and longest run of the week, in a pair of road shoes.

Next race is Sunday 12th, xc at Langdale End, on the edge of the North York Moors.  Suspect it will be snowy!
  • Brockwell parkrun cancelled. Oxford vs. Cambridge varsity match on at wimbledon common and hasn't been cancelled yet as far as I know so any old boys can come and race there! (Sorry BR- another example of an unfair system!)

Two runs for me today. Quite pleased with morning run into work, 8.4 miles finished in 59 minutes at a perfect 7:00mm - which given the sheer amount of snow and ice around I was pleased with. Way back was about 10 minutes slower given that it was now dark and the snow that had melted was starting to ice over...

TBH - not totally sure why so many races are cancelled - if it's that bad just chuck some spikes on!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

HH - a lot of it is to do with the travel to the races rather than the actual race (course).

We dont have a Parkrun, but I wouldnt do it if we did have one, I like to do some longer sessions early doors on a weekend.

• TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Hobbling Harrier wrote (see)

Brockwell parkrun cancelled. Oxford vs. Cambridge varsity match on at wimbledon common and hasn't been cancelled yet as far as I know so any old boys can come and race there! (Sorry BR- another example of an unfair system!)

You what?  Do you have to be an old Blue or will any Old Boy do?
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Anyway, managed a good week's training with barely a slip; find as ever that the Asics 1150s are just as good as the XC studs in the snow.  Hard to get much pace going but some quite pleasant runs.

Ellis Cup in Richmond Park tomorrow; if they call that one off I'll be really hacked off as i've always fancied doing an XC in proper snow and am still dismayed by the cancellation of last year's Surrey Champs.  In particular, if I see any more of this "we were concerned about people's travel to and from the event" stuff I'll go nuts; you just let us worry about that, eh?

• Tmap - Any Oxford or Cambridge Old Boy - I never ran Blues but have run it last two years (first of which was as a guest as I was still a "young" boy!) - got 3rd last year.

Starts at 1pm for old boys race. At Thames clubhouse. If not have fun at RIchmond Park over the road!

• I was like Bambi on ice in my Adios going around Vicky park this lunchtime, good fun.

TT - sorry to hear you will have a wait a bit longer.....

Races in London for Old Boys around Wimbledon Common, hmmm sounds a tad elitist to me. I bet they have hot buttered crumpets at the end.

• Embarrassing but I literally have just demolished two crumpets in the last 5 minutes... one with butter (well marge...) and one with blackcurrant jam. Having bought a load for the oxfordians crashing tomorrow (admittedly on the floor/sofa). 

Of course I can't take all the blame as it was the chef who made them and the butler who brought them in.

Just got a pair of the Adizero Tempos from Sweatshop at a very decent price, nice people, not had a chance to wear them anywhere but the living room yet but they seem good. 

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Good crumpeting HH.

I'm sure it'll be worth the wait Zatu, sounds encouraging.

The Pegasus plural puzzle reminds of the mongoose story.  A zoo keeper wants two of them for his zoo but can't decide how to order them.  Mongi? Mongooses? Mongeese? 

In the end he drafts his order.. Dear Sir, please send one mongoose to my zoo.  P.S. please send another one.

40 mins leg turnover session on the treadie, 1m w/up, alternate 30secs fast 20secs steady 1m w/d..

• Cheers Wardi. Your jokes are a highlight of the thread.

Re treadie session: I assume the alternate means alternating right and left legs? Will try that and report back.
  • Brilliant Wardi image Haha love it.

HH/TMap never knew about that Oxbridge race. Really might give it a go next year. Bit short notice for this one: dammit.

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

TR/Gobi - sorry to read your respective races have been cancelled

Zatu - frustrating, so close.....hang in there

BEJ - hope everything has gone alright for you!

Decent effort (for the first time in a while) in the gym. 30 mins cross trainer, 30 mins hard on the bike then 5 miles on the treadmill. 10 miles(ish) tomorrow morning.

Piss up in Pompey tomorrow night, no doubt a grim hangover sunday.

• Ha!  I've got a great image of HH sitting in his lounge admiring his new trainers and eating crumpets.  Not sure, even as an Old Gel, that I'd make the effort to trek up to London to run the Varsity do-da.

Off for a steady run soon.  Still seem to be needing a lot of sleep so I guess I'm more or less over the man flu but not quite.

• TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Hobbling Harrier wrote (see)

Tmap - Any Oxford or Cambridge Old Boy - I never ran Blues but have run it last two years (first of which was as a guest as I was still a "young" boy!) - got 3rd last year.

Starts at 1pm for old boys race. At Thames clubhouse. If not have fun at RIchmond Park over the road!

I've already said I'd do the Ellis Cup.  Next time, perhaps.  On the buttered crumpets, am warmly in favour of that!  Thames generally do have great cakes - flapjacks in particular.  But then Ranelagh's tea and cake after the Ellis Cup are good too.

Off to buy a Christmas tree now - yeah!

• MtRMtR ✭✭✭

Turbo arrived yesterday. Still in it's box. I faced more uncomprehending questioning from Mrs MtR over this purchase than the bike, which cost much more money. She may be right image

11 miles this morning before breakfast as the Club 10 was called off. Ironically it rained last night and the snow and ice was almost cleared. I had one slippy moment in 85 minutes, and I was only running in my Adios (which are really the most comfortable running shoes ever made - I shall be buying more of these before long).

An afternoon of painting the family room beckons. I got a quote from some allegedly cheap Slovakian bloke. £1,900 he came up with for the kitchen/family room, plus a small hallway and some kitchen units. I shall get £400 of that knocked off before the family settle down for the X-Factor later.

Good luck to the light/dark blue cross country runners.

• TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Had a good strong race in Richmond Park, although wearing 9mm spikes on what was definitely a 12mm or even 15mm course.  Always hard to tell there as there are stony pathways and a short road crossing, but was really floundering on the snowy hill.

Still, nearly two full minutes faster than 2008, and 80secs off my  best, so fairly pleased with that, and some good racing going on.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

MTR - my turbo got questioned by the purchasing dept too, but its all good now cos she knows how much it gets used. Hope the decorating price haggling goes well.

Its rained here a few times too, just a few stubborn bits of ice on the roads and pavements now. I bagged 90 mins on the turbo at 8am, my HR was a bit high but I did work hard (and I was up til 2am drinking beer watching the cricket !). Just bagged about 6M with a few strides on a clear bit of shore path. No ankle/shin twinges so I reckon I can build up again now (and would have been ok to don a number tomorrow !).

• Tmap superb performance! 2 mins off previous time, and in conditions, is fab.

MtR that's a full-on Saturday! Extremely impressive. Hope the good lady lets you off. I must admit that my turbo also caused me grief. Weird as by no means the most expensive bit of kit I've purchased.

Woke up at 5 am so did 5 hours work with the wonderful Ashes performance on TV, then assembled bookshelf and sorted out the sitting room, followed by a 40min run. Was intending to put in a 4 x 1 min reps, which I did, in an easy run but the whole thing turned a lot more moderate because of some rather serious looking female runner about 25m metres behind me throughout the return half. Wasn't prepared to let her catch me. All good stuff; hope coach doesn't mind!

Pegasus are finally not quite so good in slush I've now discovered. Had to go more gingerly on the pavements than when they were full ice, so switched to the roads and dodged traffic.

Aiming for around 85mins tomorrow which would = about 34 miles for the week. Don't want to tempt fate but feel like it's gradually coming.

All best wishes to BEJ and lady.

• Got in at 3am last night so went for a cleansing 22 miles off road to clear the hangover. Pleased with the run (2.45) but failed to shake the headache. 90 odd for the week.
    Got caught up in the Richmond park race; Marshall was calling out that I was going the wrong way!!

Good effort Tmap on a tough track

PS. Not my log-in (Dan A)
  • Hail Hail

Ran an unexpected parkrun today - was down there to provide event support as it was their 2nd birthday, and just thought why not.  Tough winter xc course very deep snowand a slightly long course so pleased to run 21.32 for 10th.  scobos paces these things so much better than me. 

• Like it RB...just thought why not as you dragged the 'accidentally-packed' Talons out of your bag?... ;o)

Re the pacing, just a case of doing these events more often than you...practice makes (near) perfect. As we've discussed before, regular running/racing over various distances gives a better sense of 'feel' and how you should be coping at different points of a race. A few more of these would see you right. Dare say I'd get seriously found out over an ultra!!!

For info, 7th place finish in 21.04 for me after a nice easy first lap (of 3) found me in about 12th or 13th place. Progressive pace throughout. Bloody tough underfoot though!

Oh, nice run Tmap!

Hopefully, 14 or 15 miles early doors tomorrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

where is everyone ? they cant all be out training still ?

Did a bit at this end earlier

• MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    TR: not haggling - doing it myself. Spent 5 hours decorating yesterday then went out on the spur of the moment to see the Blockheads. Excellent fun - as were the 5 pints of beer. Plan for today is a run, supermarket shop, set up the turbo and then more decorating.

RB/Scobos: if you guys are running over 20 minutes then conditions must have something else.
  • RB and Scobos great races respectively there.

DanA big mileage. Am about to text you.

11 miles for me up on the North Downs Way. OK, so the endorphines are in full flow but that was utterly magnificently blissful running. 34m for the week, happy bunny. (HH forgot to respond to something you put - yes I guess hopefully about 130m for the month, fingers crossed and all that)