Sub 3

Comments

• Hail Hail

I love you too scobos

Wardi - basement, not a cellar.  The difference is I dont keep wine in mine, I keep the Fritzel family.

Good luck BEJ

• Thanks all, still paltry in comparison to the big guns of the thread, but if I can run 90-100 consistently I'll be a very happy bunny.

Very impressed at all those hitting hard sessions on the treadmill - serious cojones. Boredom would kill me. 

BEJ- all the best! Hope it goes great and trouble-free. 

DanA- Did you find out why he didn't carry on? retiring in 1995 aged what, 26? seems crazy. Part of the reason we were so chronically weak in the late 90s, early 00s.

RW-H - It sounds like you're making progress which is good. Try not to get too excited at this stage - you're clearly a very passionate person! - the biggest thing I'd recommend is to just make running part of your daily routine and not think about it so much. Most of my biggest gains have come when I've been been too busy to think about running but just got on with the damn thing! 

I try my best to every night stretch out glutes, calves, hamstrings and quads. Also some basic strengthening exercises (squats, calf raises, lifting ankle to glute to work hammies). Followed by a little more stretching and then use "the stick" to roll out the muscles. Seems to really help the muscles stay loose. I really notice the difference when I don't take the time to do it.

• Its now been about 4 weeks of snow and ice up here and its really testing my mojo, I'm still going out and doing a bit and I guess that if 15 ish miles can be knocked out relatively easily I should be alright for a shortened build up in the new year!

Best wishes to all of you for the festivities

• BEJ Very best wishes for the baby.

RWH I have worked very hard at shortening my stride and increasing cadence. I do think it makes you go faster and does make you less prone to injury, but I believe the downside is it increases the likelihood of cramping especially over the longer distances.

Just checked out my local Parkrun result from last weekend. I was amazed to see it was won by an Under 14 girl. A new Olympic hopeful perhaps?

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/grovelands/Results/LatestResults.aspx

It seems to win any race a little luck is often involved.

Happy Xmas or Xams if you prefer that.

Dull
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    HH - I think he carried on until 30-ish. He was good but just below the level required for Olympic selection. He ran for Wales in '94 Commonwealths. Problem was that he couldn't make a living out of it. He never moaned about it, but it did seem that there was no system in place to pick him out as a promising junior and professionally help train him up to world class. Did it all off his own back, but no real help to get to the top rung of the ladder.
    I'm not close to it, but it does seems that we're miles behind other countries in nurturing young talent in the UK; I simply don't believe that the talent isn't there.

Dull - was she the only runner? Bless!!

Anyone else planning on running tomorrow? I was planning to do the local parkrun, but went round it this morning and it was covered in sheet ice & completely unrunnable. Far too dangerous to race, but I'll still turn up if it's on and totter round in 20 mins. Guess my Boxing Day golf will be cancelled so I'll run off the Xmas excess by doing 16-18 miles of the Abingdon marathon course, as the route goes past my sister's front door.

Happy Christmas all.
  • Afternoon Folks,

Been absent for a while but always lurking, good to see some folks off the bench and up running again.

Steady miles from me for last few weeks, nothing too exciting but i've seen an awful lot of snow and anything faster than 8mm is good going.

Got myself some nice new gear y'day from Santa, will be heading out tomorrow to test it out. Not "a Daley" tho, will only running once!

Have a great Xmas everyone and a PB smashing New Year ;¬)

• Hobbling Harrier wrote (see)

......biggest gains have come when I've been been too busy to think about running but just got on with the damn thing! 

wise words indeed!

Have a great Christmas everyone

• I've been trogging round on the snow too: 46M this week makes it the biggest total for ages, though only 8:12/M average. Still, my niggly hips do seem to have got pretty much better (which they didn't after just resting for a week, or with small but fast mileage -- maybe time to ditch my reputation for minimal but quality miles!). Left knee had a slight creakiness where it troubled me last year though, so I have something new to keep an eye on. The sunlit snowy fields were beautiful this morning, but I'd like some nice non-slip tarmac to do some fast running on next week perhaps.

You're clocking a lot of miles there HH -- is there a specific race you're targeting, or is it just general winter base-building in preparation for a spring/sumer racing season?

Dull -- was your F-U14 in fact the sole competitor in that parkrun?! I was amazed when a mere boy finished just after me in one park run (to be fair I joined it near the end of a long run, so not my quickest...).

Have a good one all. Hope you get suitably festive crowd responses if you run tomorrow!

• MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Nice to see some good mileage going on. I'm in week 2 of P&D but stalled by the inevitable christmas lurgy. 2 days missed so far and I'm off my food. Having spent about £500 on food and drink including a £90 turkey, this is not good news. Hoping my hearty runners immune system will kick in and get me better fast.

Merry Christmas everyone - especially the imminent mini-BEJ.
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Have a good Xmas everyoneimage

Sorry you're off colour MtR.

5 miles at HMP on the treadmill this afternoon with one warm up and cool down. Enjoyed it but craving some outside running so might try something either tomorrow or sunday as some of the roads are finally clearing.

• My parkrun is off tomorrow as well, not surprising after my run today (13 miles) was a tad slippy in places despite trail shoes.

I remember that bloke BEJ - he passed Dave Davies near the end after he (DD) lost all sense of direction.  Quite a story he has.

• Dull very interesting point about cramp. Will watch out for that one. Am trying to add salt to food actually, if that's related.

HH you're absolutely right I'm sure. Yes I'm fairly bitten by the running bug and am passionate about it (and yes other things!). The saving grace is that when I'm back in term time I'll have lots to distract me so maybe that will tick the box in the way you say. I like what you say there - seems very true. My coach has also counselled me not to think about specific marathon training until about 10-12 weeks before. But I'll line up some park runs in the New Year and school will definitely give me outside interests!!!

5,25m earlier for me, with 3 x 10s hill sprints. Down in Devon now.

Just wanted to pop on and wish everyone a very very Merry Christmas!

• Evening all.

Just wanted to wish a Happy Christmas to all. Will try read back in the next couple of days. Have fun all! image

• JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Merry Xmas all

BEJ - hope you can get thru Xmas day without any interruptions and the little fella/lass comes out soon. I remember the swimming chap, quite a story to come back and become Oly champ.

Bushy Park run this morn in sheet ice all the way. My spikes made very little difference as most were trying to run to the side which was hard to get into any rythymn. Quite a few hard core in just vest and shorts. May do a couple more later if I can find a few unicy paths. Not entering into the Daley category yet though.
  • My Mrs found me this book for Christmas:
    o action theme TICK
    o spy adventure TICK
    o bomb plot suspense TICK
    o set among runners of VLM TICK -- hang on, you what? Yes it's like Speed except the bomb goes off if he runs too slowly, according to the blurb on the back...
    (No spoilers please!)

Ran a couple of miles just to be festive. Might do a big adventure tomorrow along the canals of Wolverhampton -- with head-torch in case I make it to a really long tunnel.

• TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Happy Christmas.

Usually like to run on Christmas day but badly needed a day off after a desperately sore and weary 8-miler yesterday.  Icy paths in Richmond Park added a lot to general soreness and weariness.  Very pretty though.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    2 runs and an hour on the turbo

Merry Christmas
  • RWH- The only reason I counsel you is that I know I'm incredibly guilty of it myself. Think it'll be good once you're back at school!

CW- I really want that book now! No real reason for the big miles other than just my gradual progression.

Gobi- Impressive workload!

Just a bog standard 14 for me - race tomorrow cancelled so similar again. Little tight on outside of left foot and managed to ridiculous tweak a hip flexor kicking a balloon so some fairly easy running I think...

• TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Richmond Park at its most beautiful this morning, and it was so cold even the hard-packed ice was quite grippy.  Magic.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    14 miles on bits of Abingdon mara course this morning. Minus 11 degrees when I set off. Had ice on the hairs of my legs within 10 mins.
    Loved it.
  • Woo-hoo, I've out-ultra'd DanA today! image 28M @ 8:08/M, mainly on nicely packed snow. Ran on fresh air but scoffed some biscuits and coffee before I set off. But I had my first fall in the XTalon212s, by being a complete numpty and not paying attention. I went down shockingly fast and hard when I carelessly stepped on a smooth dome of glassy ice that had been accumulating under a big icicle dangling from a bridge. One finger is now very swollen but the legs seem OK so who cares image

I did the extra-long run partly for the sake of adventure because I wanted to run somewhere very unusual from here. Yes, today I ran (twice) along a dead straight, dead level, 1.7M stretch of almost entirely ice-free tarmac path, with no traffic, no dog-walkers, no other people at all in fact, but also no GPS coverage... could be good for some speed work but for a few stretches of big puddles and overhanging icicles... needed a head torch...  curious? OK, it was the Netherton Tunnel. Paused my Garmin when out of coverage to admire an ethereal circular curtain of 10 foot icicles stetching down from a ventilation shaft, which confused SportsTracks into knocking 1.5M off my total, but never mind.

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    CW. Nutter!!!! Nice
  • Impressive miles CW - was getting all excited thinking it might be nearby in Cambridge til I clicked the link image. Liking the overdistance again. I realised I might be a bit dependent on my wathc when I was running around Regent's Park and tripped - by the time I hit the ground I'd stopped my garmin but hadn't thought to get my hands out properly to cushion the landing!

14 for me again. 10 easy miles averaging about 7:40 then 4 progressively steady (6:42,30,12,02) - nice thing with singles is that when you're running doubles it's so easy to say "well I'll just run easy for the first however many miles" on both of them - doing singles you feel obliged to do at least a little bit of faster running at some point!

Brings the week out at 101 I think.  One of nice things is it's highlighting to me which areas of my body probably need strengthening.

• Fantastic CW - great stuff! Great mileage again HH and others getting out.

15 miles for me this morning on the Ruby Way and hills and snow lanes of north Devon. Water froze up as I ran so I used this an excuse to practice drinking less as apparently we all now need to dehydrate ourselves to go faster image. Bloomin hard work for four of the miles through thick hard snow and a lot of hill climbing but I'm well chuffed with the end result, average HR 142 despite all that. I know I'm getting fit as my standing heart rate this morning was 44. Have shed 2 stones in 2 months.  So that brings up 45 miles for the week, exactly 10% up on last week. Probably won't be able to go much above 50-55mpw this side of London so the base phase is coming along nicely. Going to target some park runs soon.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    2 runs and an hour on the turbo

Happy Boxing Day

Blimey CW and I though Dan was a little crazy in his -11 14 miler
  • JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    CW - Very nice miles there in tough conditions. Take care of those fingers.

10m on the roads tonight and the cars were getting dangerously close at times. Still trying to warm up so a hot drink with some brandy might help in a min.
  • Evening all, some nice base miles going on - special mention to CW, impressive mileage!

Nothing exciting in the running department this end but a solid comeback week with things going in the right direction.

http://www.steveway.co.uk/?p=57

Hope everyone had a super xmas image
  • Great Ultra CW.
    Another big week from HH.
    Nice to see Marigold complete another run.

Some other good training going on as well.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice week of running Marigold

Following on from JH1 I did a 10 miler this morning. Still far too much ice on the paths :¬(
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭

8 for me today.

Am wondering about training for Barcelona as it's now less than 10 weeks away and my last three weeks were 26, 2.5 and 29 miles (with a lot of unpleasant weight loss).  Today's Richmond Park lap felt much stronger and almost bouncy, although still quite weary at the end, but it feels like another week before I can do anything much longer.  I might try an 11 tomorrow and see how that feels.

Spose I can do Barcelona as a sort of see-how-it-goes 90% run and then Nagano as my all-out one, but that wasn't really the original idea.