Sub 3

Comments

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    Plans are made to be changed Tmap! I am in similar boat. Hope it works out.
  • You're packing in a lot of assorted training there, Gobi. Big miles continue from you too HH. I think 10 weeks is still plenty for your prep Tmap -- 8-week build-ups are all the rage round here now...

Back in Cambridge now and with a race booked in a fortnight, snow forecast for tonight but an ice-free road available, I decided to do a few token 0.5M reps, whereas normally I'd rest after a big training run. (I'd given up speed for a couple of weeks to see if it cured my niggly hips, which maybe it has.) Definitely a day off tomorrow though -- that's an unprecedented 5 consecutive days' running for me now (if you count the 2M on Xmas Day that is).

• Hail Hail

Belated Xmas best wishes to you all.

House full on Sat with me being chef so sneaked out for only an hr, but made it count running approx 6.40s.  Bagged a longer one on Sun with 17M.  Today the thaw set in and I almost fell in the canal after less than a mile, and the roads and pavements were worse, so ran fast on the mill.  Even allowing for some discrepancy, I'm happy with a 34.45 10k on it.

Busy bust at work, with a rather good SALE on. 

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    RB - you do seem to be flying right now mate.

Intervals this evening and just felt nice to be on a bit of tarmac running sub 5 min mile pace. 3 x 10 x 30 secs off 30 secs
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

CW - bloody hell, 28 miles!!

Marigold - good to see you running again 

Selbs - holiday going well?

HH -  solid mileage

RB - Bring on the thaw!!!! By the way quick question regarding Boston's (and lightweight trainers in general) fi you dont mind image How much mileage/use can you get out of them? I've only warn them in one marathon and two halfs and was using them for fortnightly HMP tempo runs in the Amsterdam campaign - not for general running in training. They feel fine and I'm guessing like most trainers are best once warn in a bit? Cheers mate.

Planned to start London training next week but going to do some this week as the snow looks like finally thawing and I'm bored silly of the gym, so guess it's 16 weeks from here (one month base stuff). Garmin arrives fairly soon having just been ordered.

Hope everyone is well.

RS

• Hail Hail

CW - stonker.  C2C again?

Gobi - we'll see when I take a mini taper and actually race.  Proof of the pudding as they say.

RS - my first pair of Bostons have about 700M in them and I still use them. 

• Great running RB and CW / Gobi.

Tmap I think you could still do it off that timescale with all your background experience.

Afraid to say looks like it will turn cold again next weekend. We may avoid the heavy snow but much colder again.

• RB>C2C again?
    Nah, not this year -- it was a 40th birthday treat last time. I've got the Cambs XC champs instead this time. I think Njord's doing it again though.
  • PP & HH,
    Many thanks for the info re Tower Hill.
    Any of the other London residents care to comment?

CW,
    Good lord man, looks like you ran off this years turkey, next years turkey and few more turkeys besides.

Plenty of solid training going on. Nice.

Week 3 of return to training last week. 20M in 4 runs,  2 x 4M, 1 x 5M, 1 x 7M on Mon, Wed, Fri & Sun. Couple of bike gym sessions on Tue & Thu.

• Morning all.

I need to read back from Christmas Eve, IIRC...

Just popping in to belatedly say that I hope everyone had lovely Christmases.

I have cautiously stuck my toe back into this running malarkey: 3M on Christmas Day, 6M on Boxing Day, 4M yesterday and am waiting for Garmin to charge before heading out for 8M in a wee while.  Pace is nothing to write home about, although it's fair to say that the icy conditions underfoot in Reading did not help; here's hoping that the frost-free Bristol pavements will get me closer to 8m/m (I kid you not).

• TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    mmmm...marmite wrote (see)
    PP & HH,
    Many thanks for the info re Tower Hill.
    Any of the other London residents care to comment?

Pretty much what they said.  Running there from the east is pretty good and there's some great running along the canals and river and Victoria Park.  Running there from the west would be entirely along the river on either bank and it's great running there too.  He could also live south of the river in the east and run into Tower Bridge - Southwark Park is a good place to run on a lunchtime from Tower Hill.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Hope everyone had a jolly xmas, I reckon I could claim to have had the most melancholy & bizarre festive season of the fred.  On xmas eve I got a call to say me old mum had gone suddenly downhill and only had hours left.  Dropped everything and travelled down to Notts.  Mum was in a lot of pain when we got there and had to be given a morphine drip to send her to sleep.  In between vigils 6 family members were using Mum &  Dad's house as a base.  Xmas dinner was steak & chips with cheese & biscuits in a house with no tree or bunting (Dad is in a care home as well).  Mum never woke up from the induced sleep and we lost her early yesterday.  Not too much sympathy is required, she lived a good healthy live 'til 83 and had her wits about her until the end.  She has managed to outlive her two sisters by 25/30 years, maybe that's where I get my competitive spirit from.  Breaking the news to my Dad, who has dementia, was very difficult.  I'm not even sure if he has taken it in fully.

Just to put the seal on yesterday I got a stomach bug in the evening and was as sick as a dog, felt fine afterwards.  I wouldn't have minded if it had been due to too much festive excess!

Hopefully the New Year will be a bit more cheery and less eventful.

Great adventure running Charlie, I'm trying to work out if I have chugged under that bridge in a narrowboat over the years.

Good to see Jools back to it & encouraging signs from Marmite.  

• (((Wardi)))

I know you said not much sympathy required, but still... 

• Wardi- Thoughts with you and your family.
  • Wardi likewise - I know you said little sympathy required but you do have it. Thoughts with you all.

As ever, not much else really stacks up against that. Life is so absurd sometimes. Still ... good to see Joolska back out and mmmm.... marmite likewise.

6 miles for me in incredibly slippery circumstances around Alice Holt forest. Sheet ice much of the way so was not a quick one but I didn't go over.

• Hey good to see everyone still been getting some good training done despite the weather, looking for some advice ran london this year in 3.08 on 3 day plan.. looking to dip under the 3 at paris in april is this possible on 3 runs or do i have to add another run?
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Sorry to read about that Wardi, thoughts with you.

• Wardi - Thoughts to all your family.

• Wardi,
    So sorry to hear that. All the very best mate.
  • not the best news to make a thread return to, sorry to hear that wardi
  • Hail Hail

Rotten news Wardi, but a refreshingly philosophical attitude.  Best wishes. 

• Best wishes Wardi. Sounds like you have a good close family if the house was so crowded. Maybe transfer the Xmas treats to New Year, if you feel like it?
  • Does anyone use a home ultrasound machine? and if so do you find it helps and which one do you have/would you recommend?

Thanks.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Wardi - sad indeed but good attitude from you.

Kev - why do you want to run so little ?

just over 5kms with MiniG, nothing exciting to report as the snow has gone.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Very sad news wardi - sorry to hear that. You've had a pretty rough 2010 all in all haven't you? Hopefully next year will bring a bit better luck for you
  • Hey Gobi been running two years and  try to mix my running with 3 days resistance in the gym also fearful of picking up to many niggles if overdo the running..what do you suggest?

Edit - sorry clicked refresh and a message from a while back reappeared on here!

• Wardi. Very sorry to hear your news. Best wishes to you and your family in 2011.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Thanks for the commiserations chaps, means a lot.  I forgot to add the 'glass half full' ending.. Santa brought me a new pair of Nikes, a new Beanie hat and a shiny Garmin 310XT.

CL.. great minds.. we decided on New Year at home with 10 close friends for a sit down meal and plenty of wine.  Should raise the spirits for a while.

SL.. I have had one of these for the last year, seems to work well.  I remember an old 'war wound' aching after a long run, 15 mins with this device soothed it significantly.