Sub 3

Comments

• Happy New Year everyone!

243m for December which after a couple of light months is good. 2994m at an average of 7.15mm for the year. Never realised I would be that quick although compared to marathon speed it's a bit close. Knew a couple of days ago that I would be just short of 3k but it's not important.

No PB's at any distance for me. A year that promised a lot at the start and ended in mild injury. Onwards and upwards.

BEJ/DanA- Missed your posts yesterday. Inspired by MTR I did 90mins last night so am rest day today. Will be at Roehampton Gate Car PArk (the one with the bike hire I think) just before 9am tomorrow. Will run for a couple of hours if you're interested.
  • JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Hey all

Happy New Year. Hope everyone has a good 2011.

Dec Stats
    345M @ 7.26m/m (First decent month of training since the summer, YAY)

2010 Stats
    Distance - 2781
    Avg Pace - 7.09
    PBs - 3000m, 5000m (and equalled 10k)

2010 Summary. Good summer. Disappointing Spring & Autumn. So not ideal for a marathon runner!

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

Happy New Year to everyone and lets all have a minimal injury 2011; some on here are definitely owed some injury free time this year. image

Dec Stats: 268mi @ 7.12m/m inc a nice 10k pb of 36:09 which I didn't see coming.

2010 Stats: 2935mi (lost about 80ish miles in March during VLM 10 training).

7.17 av pace

152 av HR

361,446 calories burned (according to 405 so not accurate)

PBs @ 10K; 5mi; 10mi; Half Marathon; 20mi;  Marathon.

All in all a good year still riding the improvement curve.

Plans for next year: try to make 6.30s my MP;  improve my diet (currently reading 'Racing Weight'); join in more on the 'sub 3' thread.

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Ode - shame, I missed you this morning. Did the 5k at 10am (3rd place - not sure of time yet as I don't wear a watch, but at a guess it felt like a 17.45). Then followed up with a hard lap of the park, plus some hills, so surprised to miss you if you were going the opposite way round.

Can't give many stats for 2010, as I don't bother writing down my runs, or wear a watch, or a heart rate monitor. Have a pretty good sense of how far and fast I'm going, so I'll guess at between 3,500 and 4,000 miles for the year at paces anywhere from 5 to 10 min miling.

2010 summary

Races
    5 marathons (Barca, London, Copenhagen, Mont Blanc, Amsterdam)
    4 ultras (Verbier-St Bernard 23hrs, UTMB 17hrs, Pilgrims 66m 2 days, Druids 85m 3 days)
    a few others

Best of the year
    7.5 min mara PB - 2.45.07
    3 day solo 27 hr training run round Mont Blanc
    Verbier race
    10k PB - 36.23
    Racing with Michelle Dillon

Not so good from 2010
    Failing to build on mara PB, with some poor runs (VLM as usual and 'Dam)
    UTMB cancellation (devastatingly disappointing, despite restart over shorter course)
    No half maras
    Failing to get Michelle Dillon's phone number
  • MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year!

December ended with a longer run than I'd planned originally but I was 13.14 miles short of 2500 for the year. And I only had a small window for the run. So I did 13.47 miles in 1:34 including 3x2 miles @ 6:26 pace.

Dec stats
    Miles: 222

2010:
    2500 miles

Zero PBs!
  • Hail Hail

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Finished the year with a progressive (of sorts) 18M with last 6 at 6.06 pace.

Dec stat

349.5M (OCD no, but just enough to stay ahead of JAP on Fetch image)

Ave pace 7.07 (inc recoveries during intervals)

races/pbs - zilch.

2010 stats

guessing 3000M + (seriously, I lost my log, but have since started using Fetch)

races - 1 mara DNF, couple of average 10ks (no pbs), 4 ultras.

Started the year with a 4th place at Glasgow parkrun - XC course, 5 laps, 10 hills, 19.59. Quite happy with that.

• JAPJAP ✭✭✭
    RB, it was noted that you always seemed to be 1 mile ahead of me virtually all month. Let me guess, you did 10 this morning to beat my 9 by 1? image
  • Hail Hail

JAP - nope you have today.  Only 5M inc parkrun.  Normal service will be resumed tomorrow.

• MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Stats in more detail:

Dec:
    Miles:222
    Pace: 7:39
    HR: 142
    Rest days 5
    Races: 0
    Long runs: 1
    Speed work: 2
    Training hours: 42

2010:
    Miles: 2500
    Pace: 7:33
    HR: 140
    Rest days: Loads
    Races: 10 (zero PBs)
    Long runs: 19
    Speed sessions: 27
    Speed work
    Training hours: 485
  • Month and year stats:

Dec:
    Miles: 277
    Av Pace: 8:04 overall, 5:59 over 1 race
    Av HR: 131 overall, 159 over 1 race
    Races: 1 (1 PB)
    Long(ish) runs: 2x16 (re-introduced now hip flexor better, along with intervals)

2010:
    Miles: 2662
    Av Pace: 7:50 overall, 6:53 over 17 races
    Av HR (since June): 131 overall, 154 over 14 races 
    Races: 17 (PBs in the 3 distances run the previous year - 10k, 10M, Half)
    Long runs: 10 (7x20,2x22,1x24)

• TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Missed the Richmond parkrun, as Mrs K pointed out that seeing as I'd invited 9 people round for lunch, I needed to help out a bit.  Went for a lazy 4-mile jog first thing, half hoping to find the Kingston parkrun instead, but it was all locked up.

Will try and get a 15 in tomorrow, although we're off to get the dog at 9am so it will need to be an early one, or I'll need to sneak out from the chaos and poop later.

• JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭

Happy New Year to you all and hope 2011 is the one to smash. 2010 saw some great performances from the fast boys and some new sub 3er's.

Didn't make it to Bushy Park 5k this morning as it was dark and couldn't get out of bed on time.

Dec:
    198 miles
    Avg pace 6.59
    3 races
    No pb's
    No long runs over 14m (Oh sh1te I might be in trouble)

2010:
    Spent 5 months injured Feb to Jun not running, did 1 tri all year but had some bike TT pb's so not all bad.

Roll on 2011 and hoping for better things and some nice PB's if training goes well. Well behind on training from previous years but hoping the short sharp programme will get me to VLM in one piece.

• HAPPY NEW YEAR

Feeling like my New Years resolution should be to run more after reading everyones year end stats, some seriously impressive miles and times ;¬)

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Haha. Duly noted Gobi image Out of curiosity, what paces do your easy and recovery HR ranges give you at the moment? Also, if you can remember back to when we had the testing done when recovery was timed at 1min and 2mins - do you know what each signified? I've noticed my 1min recovery is still very good (close to a 40bpm drop), but there is minimal improvement over the next minute, so I'm guessing the first minute is natural fitness and the second indicates your general condition?

LS21 - good to see things looking more positive for you image

Likewise MG!

marmite - I'll see you there all being well image When would I need to get my entry in by and what kind of pen system do they have?

Rest day for me today after yesterday's hard. World domination begins tomorrow image

• Happy New Year all

Dec stats

Miles: 188M
    Pace: 7:30mm
    Races: 0

2010 stats

Miles: 2013
    Pace: 7:36mm
    PBs: 5k, 5M, 10k, HM, Marathon
    Sub-3s: 1

After snow, family, booze and chocolates reduced training quality over Christmas I felt an urge to go out hard and long today, so 15M @ 6:13mm this morning. If sporttracks is accurate then 1 - 14.1 were within my half PB. Whether the run was too hard the next few days will tell, but this gives me a lot of confidence that sub 2:45 at VLM is very much on the cards.

• Ode - that's about a 20min run from home.  I've not been so good at getting out of bed before 9am of late, but I'll set the alarm specially. 

I'll be coming along the path anticlockwise from the Kingston direction.  If you don't spot me out, assume that I'm on baby duty and can't make it.

Picastor - great training run.  If you can do that already, 2:40 may be a more appropriate target.

• Finally caught up on the last week's posts. Sorry to see that some had a bad Christmas, in particular best wishes to Wardi.

Very impressed by CharlieW's 28 miler. I'm planning to try one or two over-distance runs for one of my 2011 marathons. CharlieW, is that a typical pace for your over-distance runs? How does that compare to your typical pace for 20-ish milers?

Congratulations marders on the comprehensive victory today. I was giving out drinks at the finish - I'd have said hello if I'd known it was you. I heard some comments along the lines of 'he doesn't look like he's even broken sweat' - which was true! Another really impressive performance.

My December stats:
    283 miles
    Average pace - slow
    Long runs - 18, 18, 21
    Rest days - 2

I was hoping to end 2010 on 70 mpw with no niggles. I've now got 3x 70 mile weeks under my belt, but have 2 niggles. Maybe a good idea to start 2011 with a rest week. But 2010 has been a great year for me running-wise: a sub-3 marathon, and big PBs at every distance I've raced. At the start of 2010 I made a list of completely unrealistic targets - and somehow I've hit them all. I'll have to make them even more unrealistic for 2011...

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and a very successful 2011.
  • Filthyrich>  CharlieW, is that a typical pace for your over-distance runs? How does that compare to your typical pace for 20-ish milers?
    It was pretty slow, partly because it was a long way and partly because it was mainly on compacted snow. And partly because I was giving my hips a rest. My pace over long runs is quite variable, from maybe 6:30ish to 7:30/M depending on whether it is a quality progressive run (like RB's today) or an old-school LSR.( Or more like 10 or 15 or more min/M over the Lake District mountains!)

piscator -- again you seem to have managed a fantastic progression in form over the last few months. That's a great run.

coro -- how did you manage that average pace in December with all the snow and ice? Overall it would be interesting to see your pattern of training, which is obviously very high on quality (lots of speedy 10-milers still?) and which has of course given you very impressive marathon results.

BEJ -- good luck, not just for the birth but also the not insignificant aftermath!

• Pisc,
    I totally agree with BEJ, reckon you'll be absolutely flying come VLM.

Zattu,
    If memory serves Berlin filled just before VLM last year. There's already 20 000 signed-up, so might fill earlier still this year. In terms of starting pens, if it's the same as last year then you'd be in Pen A and be over the starting line in a few seconds.

• CW - during the heaviest of the snow I put on my XC spikes and ran 1.9M loops around my local woods (quite hilly), managed 13M @ 6:10 m/m but felt like a hard workout given the terrain and conditions under foot! Dec is busy with lot of social and work events - but I did manage 5 consecutive Gobi O'Clock runs (out the door by 5:20am) during one week which was quite hardwork what with the late nights etc

Mon - 10M in 61:40
    Tue - 10M in 61:26
    Wed - 10M in 61:07
    Thur - 7M in 43:24
    Fri - 7M in 43:22

Blocks like this bring the avg pace down, but probably aren't doing me a huge amount of good.

I can't do tempo runs early in the morning. Hopefully Jan will see a few more of these and the reintroduction of some longer runs. I'm feeling ok at the moment, looking forward to VLM and trying to attempt to close the gap a bit to the mar**** boys. Work will get seriously in the way (I'm off the LA and Washington again soon), but it does pay the bills. I've managed to sort out an elite entry for a fast HM in California in a couple of weeks time which I'm looking forward to

TR - where are you? 

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Very nice piscator and what BEJ said.

Cheers marmite. I seem to have entered image

coro - I was wondering the same re: TR.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Twiggy - the 1/2 minute figures are too old to be of use now. I need a fresh test.

Recovery running is anything under 126 and on a good day gets me down to around 7.32 pace normally I run closer to 8 mm

Easy/general running is between 126 and 147 and seems to be 6.32 - 7.15 but given how lazy I am most of my running (easy/general) was slower than 7.32

Tempo/long runs !!!!/races and speedwork got my overall pace down.

I shall be running more in tune with expected paces and HR this year as I start to train properly again.
  • BEJ- Sounded like a plan until effing alarm didn't go off. If you check this before you leave crack on as got to get kids sorted. Sorry mate.
  • <Dang posted earlier but it's not there now I refresh.... not the first time either.>

Thanks coro -- you are the undisputed king of tempo (and it surely does you good).

Just a 4M plod for me today when I should have done a long one, to allow a good few days' recovery before XC champs on Sat. But my calves are still stiff from those style experiments on Thurs.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Just been out for 10 miles at basically 7min mile pace.

Like others wondering where TR is
  • Brief post. 18.2m with Brilly in beautiful Yorkshire. A mile more than I was scheduled but I blame the guide and it was often soft undeerfoot.

Pleasure to see Brilly again. Hope Hilly gets over pleurisy fully soon but doing a 90m weeek shows not too much can be wrong!

Yorkshire is rapidly becoming my favourite county in the UK.
  • Zattu,
    Nice one. Looks like you, me & JAP are all signed-up. Think Scobos was planning on being there too. Looking forward to it. <edit>Looks like RW-H is in too.</edit>

Week 4 of return to training. 35M off 6 runs & 1 bike session.

• Tadworth 10 for me this morning.  I wasn't sure how it would go after my fall earlier in the week, my knee is still a little sore and some pain in my ribs as well.  Started out OK, ran the first lap with a guy who had a very good second lap, either he was saving himself or I was pacing him perfectly.  On the second lap, struggling up the mile long Ebbisham Lane hill at what I thought was all I could manage, when I glanced behind me on a bend to find a clubmate 20 yards behind.  Obviously I needed the motivation as I flew up the second half of the hill, and had a decent pace most of the way back.  I ended up around 30 seconds down on last year's time, when the surface was a little better so I can't complain, especially not with 40 quid of vet prize to boot.  But my ribs are killing me now, what was an occasional pain if I moved abruptly is now a constant one.  Ho hum, not much I can do about that.
  • Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

Could do with some shoe advice please: I was buying some off road shoes a couple of days ago and whilst in the shop, noticed Mizuno Waverider 14s on the shelf, replacing the 13s which I'm on my 6th pair. They look totally different with more support around the heel and the sole looks thicker. Dug around a bit on the web and found this Waverider 14 which didn't sound too encouraging.

Could anyone recommend another pair of neutral shoes similar to the 13s as it looks like Mizuno have really messed up with the 14s?

Thanks

• TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Very encouraging 15+ hilly miles today and 54 for the week, so training for Barca seems to be getting back on track.  This time last week I was struggling beyond 5 miles; today I felt like carrying on.