Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

CD.. hope that rib problem isn't too serious.  Mine were very sore after a tumble last Feb and it took weeks to sort itself.  Finding a comfy sleeping position wasn't much fun.  Nice prize booty though.

Nice long runs from the Yorkshire folk & Tmap

Very impressive stuff from Piscator.

Marmite.. good to see more progress.

7m with 5 x 1k Friday, 5m easy yesterday & 10.3m @ 7:36 pace today. Had to take evasive action at the end of today's run to avoid flattening a small boy who ran out of a drive.  Took a tumble & cut/grazed my right knee for the 3rd time in 4 months!

re TR, find a nice link to a picture of Nell McAndrew and he will be like putty in our fingers. 

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    Nice pic Wardi image
  • Options

Mr B, you could try the Wave Precision, which is a lighter shoe than the Rider but might suit you if the heavier cushioning on the Rider14 is an issue.

Interesting comment from the Mizuno guy on that link you had:

"Feet don't really grow but they do tend to spread and lengthen as we age and run a lot of miles."

Anyone here have any evidence of this?  By my reckoning if it's true then some on here would be clowns by now. image

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

CD, nice going at Tadworth. I remember that hill from a couple of years, not been back since image. Hope the ribs settle down soon.

Nice 18 @ 6.52 for me this morning. Think I am definitely still working on my stamina at present. All felt nice and comfortable till about 14/15, then the last few require noticably more effort. Still, nice first long run for 2011 image

• Options

Back home after a pleasant break away. Managed a pleasant couple of hours in Richmond Park.

BEJ- I was telling the truth!

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    CD: My feet have certainly got a bit bigger since I started running. I used to be 41 or 42, now I'm a size 44. I certainly couldn't fit intoy old climbing shoes anymore (size 40).
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Ode - I have had the same problem, but with the Iphone 3. Thought I was going mad. Must have woken up pre-alarm on Jan 1. 16 miles today; which makes a 23, 16, 14 and 3 x 10 plus a speed session and a couple of other runs since Christmas.

Almost guessed my exact time at parkrun. It was 17.39. Not a PB, but heading in the right direction.
  • Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Piscator - thats a very impressive run, you're obviously in really good shape already

JAP - nice 18, presume you're doing London?

Wardi - good win for the Toon today. Nice 10 by the way

RB - I guess you're celebrating after today image My Rangers made most definitely wasn't, lol

Marmite - no reason why you can't go back to Berlin and have a far more positive experience, here's hoping anyway. Glad you're back running freely.

No running this weekend, lots of going out enjoying the festivities and last weekend able to do so. Some decent runs this week Mon-Fri but proper VLM programme starts tomorrow. Enjoyed my first run with a Garmin on friday, interesting to see the breakdown of miles.

Which reminds me, a quick question about Garmin/pacing. Where I am its bloody hilly so I'd struggle to maintain MP pace on runs round here but once I figure out rough HR for MP can I just go off that so that I could maintain equivalent "effort" even if I'm not running the same pace?

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

I'm still here, I took some to what Gobi referred to as "snidey jibes", but took 2 weeks out for once to cool down.

Wardi - sorry to hear the sad news

BEJ - hope it all goes smoothly (and hurries up a bit).

Selbs - your Abo run was my performance of the year by a country mile esp given the circumstances. The way you stand up to be counted on race day (you did it 3 or 4 times in 2010) is insprirational, esp given teh fact that you're always fckn injured !

about 5 or 6 weeks before Christmas I promised myself a day off if I trained every cold morning, so I did it, and I've been back at it since Boxing day, I bagged just under 150 miles in December and just over 1500 for the year which I thought was a lot given that my current long run is 12 or 13M. My legs dont appear to be able to go any faster than 8mm anymore though.

Best wishes for 2011 folks, I'd love to see at least one of the persistantly persistant (Jools, Dull or Wardi) bag a sub3. Its also about time that DanA (being a proper runner) beat me in a foot race, I make it 4 and 0 in my favour.

In 2011 I hope to stand up to be counted too, bag another sub3 and get out of a lake/river with more than a couple of bikes left in T1, and then go on to nail it !

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR - nice move mate. Glad you are well.
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

TR: Nice to see you back. I'd guessed as much from your last post.

BEJ: Fingers crossed for a smooth and safe baby arrival - then the real work begins.

RS: I always run to MP effort rather than pace. Not the MP effort of the 2nd half of a marathon mind, more like the middle section (163bpm or thereabouts).

DanA: nice miles.

Just 6 easy ones for me today as we were hosting the Residents Association party for our new neighbourhood. I'll get the long run done tomorrow morning instead. Nice to have such a long Christmas break - I last worked on 22nd December. Bought a new PC for home as well, so I don;t have to post on here via the bloody iPhone keyboard.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

MTR - cheers, last working day was Dec 20th for me. But I need some normal routine again now !

Gobi - I'm well thanks for the concern (although not in LMHs league !). Had a bit of a chest cold for a while, that made me keep it real easy in the cold. but I've completed about 10 wks of real easy base building stuff, at times I've had to deliberately make myself stop too, as I felt fine to do more, but I'm mindful of saving the matches til the Spring this year.
    I've just started to introduce some bigger gear leg strength stuff and muscular endurance type intervals on the bike.

Not really sure where my running is but I have a 10K 2 wks today (vs Marigold !) so that will be a bit of a shock to the system and give me a reference point.

The SPO on the other hand isnt so well, cos she had her eyes corrected by Laser last wk and binned her specs, but she isnt responding to it very well and is doing a good impression of Mr Magoo......shame, cos I could have bought a nice bike with that money too !

• Options
    Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Hi all

New to this thread  , planning to do barcelona March 6 and hoping for sub 3 , last marathon was 06 London and finish time was3 hours and eleven seconds so looking forward to having another crack , suffered from injurys for a few years so keeping my fingers crossed I can stay injury free. 

I cant seem to find a half marathon as a build up race , just a general question do most people race in the last couple of months of training or not? [whats your feelings on it]

Anyone on here doing Barca ? 

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Glad to see all is fine TR. Good Christmas? Hope the SPO improves. Mine considered it, but is still very cautious about it as her sight is very bad.

Aye, looks like we'll have a good thread turnout marmite image I'm in a similar situation - week 4 here, 36m (though 4 runs rather than 6 in my case).

Sounds like a good run to me CD. Nice one!

Nice training Wardi.

13m for me this morning @ 8:11m/m (68% WHR) - started at 8:55, finished at 7:49. Starting to see some improvements, and, pleasantly, a few sub-8m/m in my easy HR range. Almost nice to be at the stage where progress comes quickly! image

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

CD: thanks for that, I'll have a look at those. Seems a bit daft to change a popular into something quite different. I think the Mizuno guy was just digging himself out in the end.

16 miles progressive tonight (av.pace 7.09) finished my 3rd P&D week; 72mi. I lost 9 miles off the first week and 10 off of the second due to a combination of feeling ill and the freezing cold air filling my lungs. Surprised I've recovered so quickely.

Just wondering if we're going to get hit again with the icy stuff. This time last year everything was under a layer of ice; I can remember the Milbourne 10 being cancelled. RHW got any interesting weather updates?

• Options

Second 20 miler of 18-week programme done today at 6:57 average. Started slowly, so gradually progressive, but never pushing hard, although very tired towards the end. Managed 52/62/64 in first three weeks. Hampered by one or two persistent colds (not sure if same throughout), but helped by a decent holiday.

New Year's resolution - some decent stretching and core work. We have a very basic gym at work, so hope to do a little after cycling in - but relies on getting cracking in the morning.

• Options
    ... other resolution: pink grapefruit.
  • Options

Welcome Dean.  Not doing Barca but I always race in the build up, partly cos I like but i fnd it a useful measure to see where I am.  I also find it increasingly hard to hit the effort/pace required in training, but pin a number on and it comes easy.  This year I have 3 more xc races, a hm and a 10m before vlm, but nothing in last 5 weeks (eyeing up a 55m race 4 weeks out!)

Nice vouchers, cd.  Was it a road race?

Tr good luck against marigold, hope the spo's eyes are ok, I'm too scared to have that done.

The lsr seems out of fashion, 16m @ 7:09? 20m @ 6:57? 18m @ 6:57?  15M @ 6:13mm. Am I the only one hitting 8m/m?

Mr Boat.  6:30 is about where I want to be come vlm, I feel it might be beyond me unless I get some consistency.

Small race report.  rd3 of the xc season, and a result I'm pleased with, as I came 10th (2nd v45). Ground frozen nearly solid, a few bits of snow still about, however I managed to stay upright and finished strongly. Av pace? 7:07 . . .  Next race is next Saturday, a mere 28m over the moors, I predict av. pace will be about 10m/m.

• Options

drifter - I know it's faster than recommended but I find it's easier to go at a comfortable pace. I actually sometimes do my mid-week runs a bit slower - all down to being a bit more relaxed at the weekends. Well done on the XC.

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

right, heading back to blighty now and on a computer after just a bit of access via iphone last couple of weeks...

training virtually zero.  i got out for a couple of 4-6 mile jogs and then got sick.  some sort of infection which resulted in a trip to the hospital, and 3 different lots of drugs to take for pain, antibiotics for infection, and something else!  took a week to get over it, and by the time i was feeling human, i got an attack of the couldnt be ars8eds... so a shocking november december and start to january means i think i am probably about 3:15-3:30 fit if i am lucky now!  london goal will be just to get back to close to normal weight (lose 6-7kg) and hopefully get around if i can sub 3, if not no worries.  i THINK i am over my injuries though, but wont really know till i start some decent training i guess!

good to see u back TR and thanks for the nice comments!  nice to see Mmmarmite and Zattu back into it as well.  Hope everyone has a storming 2011!

Piscator - thats a top 15 miler, better than any i did pre Abo so agree with BEJ/Mmmarmite, start looking for 2:40 - you still have 15 weeks to go as well!!

hope my trip back isn't as eventful as the trip out here!

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭
    Drifter: I included 8 miles in my LSR on boxing day as instructed by P&D. Found it really tough and could only manage an av. of 6.34. I'm putting this down to the freezing conditions and running when maybe I should have been resting with a bad cough which was starting to affect my chest if  I'm honest with myself. I'll have a better idea in two weeks when I'm due to run 18mi with 10 @ MP at the end of a 78mi week.
  • Options

Hi all

Like TR I took a bit of a break.  Been ticking over over the hols.  Got a slight calf niggle which I am managing with a lot of stretching and hoping that it goes away.  I am guessing it will be a month or so before training is full on, but who knows.  No weight gain. 

Best wishes to all for a great year in running!

• Options
    Mr Boat which schedule asks you to run 18m with 10 at mp?  My P&D up to 70m doesn't list such a run?  Sounds a hard one,especially if it is the end of a hard week.

CL I am one of the slower ones on here so take what I say about paces with a pinch of salt.

Selbs I am sure you will get faster than 3:15 ! Just how few weeks did you get consistent miles in before Abo?
  • Options

Right finally got some time to read back a few days: 

Jamesito - good to see you back on road and hope achilles is ok. Great pb's in 2010.

JAP - great pb's at 3000m and 5000m and a nice 18 miler

Mr Boat - fab pb's from 10k through marathon. Weather update: chilly but nothing too mega snowy, although might be a bit different the further north you are. By the way, I think the Nike Air Pegasus 27 are just brilliant.

DanA - awesome 2010.

Piscator - superb 15m hard run on NYD

Selbs - it will come, n'est ce pas?

Marders - brilliant, as ever!

CD - you can't complain at that!

Tmap - looking good for the build-up

RSalter - I used to reckon in Devon that the hills added at least 30s per mile, regardless of the downhilling: you don't gain back on downhills what you lose on uphills.

MtR - did you get my emails back to you?

Dean - welcome. Stick around as they say!

CL - looks like a great 20-miler bagged. How many are you planning? Stretching sounds good! Tell me more about pink grapefruit?

Drifter - I too am quite amazed by the pace. 8mm for me on LSR's. In fact Brilly and I did 8'24" yesterday

Zattu, mmmm....marmite, JAP, Scobos:  yes I've signed up for Berlin. That's probably going to be my main sub-3h attempt of the year, although touch wood things are ticking over okay at the moment for London.

As for Nell McAndrew, she finished just in front of me at FLM09. This year I have no intention of staring at her backside, however pleasant the view.

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Crikey there seems to be some seriously fast LSRs going on as noted by Drifter already, lol Plus seems some people are already knocking out 70 mpw training and tough MP stuff within LSRs. Bloody hell have I woken up 6 weeks before London after some kind of hibernation? My build up for Amsterdam was 12 weeks with a few weeks base prior to that. As of today its 15 weeks to London.

RWH - cheers, yeah 30 seconds plus on hills sounds about right I guess.

TR - glad you had a good rest, sounds like a good move.

• Options
    Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Drifter - thanks for the advise , i have a 10 miler planned 6 weeks before marathon and will also try and fit in a couple of Bushy parkruns to sharpen up, like you I tend not to run so fast on training runs ,been running long runs at around 8mm.

Can,t beleive the sort of mileage some of you guys are doing 50mpw is about the max my legs can cope with.

How many 20 milers do you guys do in marathon training?

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Dean - Hi mate, I did 8 x 20s before Amsterdam in October. Will probably do 7-8 again before London in April but I'd be happy with 7 and I'm aiming on doing a bit more variation within them this time as opposed to just running 20 miles. Probably add much more MP stuff.

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

Drifter: I'm following the 70-85mi from P&D 2nd edition. I followed the up to 70mi schedule last year. I've been maintaining fairly high mileage throughout the year so I'm hoping I'll be able to cope with this. If not I'll take a couple of rest days on the Monday. I've got a copy on a Word doc if anyone wants it.

RHW: thanks and I'll check out those shoes; I've got a couple of weeks until my current 2 pairs reach their 'use by date'. Nice to see you're coming back into form....without the need for 100 mile weeks this time image

• Options

Cripes Selbs, hope you're over it all now. It's still quite a long time to VLM so don't worry.

Dean I now advocate doing some full or even overdistance runs (i.e. 26M+), if not every week. (But I also suspect that most of the training adaptation happens after only a handful of new experiences, so no need to do a huge number of long ones.) Doing only 20M training runs will get you round OK, but the last few miles of the race will likely be grim. Having said that I did a fairly old-school 20M just now, very mildly progressive (16M @ 7:17, 4M @ 6:47/M, overall 7:11/M) -- I didn't want to overdo it as my calves are still a touch stiff and I have a race on Sat, though actually that felt quite nippy at the end (but wasn't).

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Mr Boat - Id really like to see that schedule if you can spare it as I only have the first edition. Email is: salter9 hotmail.com

8.3 miles just now, tired and out of sync following a weekend of heavy boozing but a nice crips morning all the same.